Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  19 mins ago
 OldFart:  30 mins ago
 saleliterary:  32 mins ago
 prawnplop:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  41 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 chloeneelson:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Trevor Dickinson's Bathroom
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Trevor Dickinson's Bathroom
Posted on 23-May-2022 23:27:29
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Amiga4000

... Bletchley Park VCF, what a great event! Good times!

Profile     Report this post  
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 23-May-2022 23:48:51
#62 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

79 CRAWLERS, YOU SAY?
I SEE ONLY ONE

/mega!

tonyw 
Posted on 24-May-2022 0:23:34
#63 ]
Elite Member

@agami

In the end, the X1000 hype reminded me of the verse from MacBeth:

Quote:
It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

I think you'll find that was from As You Like it

(Edit) Correction. My mistake, you are correct, it was Macbeth.

Your opinion about the X1000 is nonsense. It is a machine that works well and has been my prime developer's machine for years. The only possible criticism that can be levelled against it is that the device driver for the on-board Ethernet has never been released to the public. In all other respects it is the best Amiga ever built, IMO (better even than the X5000s).

Last edited by tonyw on 24-May-2022 at 01:55 AM.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

agami 
Posted on 24-May-2022 3:28:17
#64 ]

@Skateman

Quote:

Skateman wrote:
@OlafS25

I totaly agree with you on this.....

Quote:
@TrevorDick

I must excuse for others... it is not a good behavior to insult someone personally. For me personal it is ok to critisize decisions but only by based on facts and reasons and not by personal insulting a person.

And when the rest of us appoint @OlafS25 and yourself as our advocates, then you may make excuses for the rest of us.

WE, are not YOUR responsibility. Trevor, is not beyond reproach. If he goes to the toilet and has a massively malodorous bowel movement, we are allowed to call him it out on his steaming pile of crap.

agami 
Posted on 24-May-2022 3:50:57
#65 ]

@tonyw

Quote:
Your opinion about the X1000 is nonsense.

I'm speaking objectively, and you're being subjective.
I have no doubt that you, as many others who shelled out the exorbitant asking price, have had varying degrees of what could be described as a positive experience, with releases of Oxytocin and Dopamine in your brains.

Quote:
IMO (better even than the X5000s).

An opinion shared by others.
And isn't that a sad state of affairs that the machine that supersedes the X1000 is its inferior.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 24-May-2022 3:53:38
#66 ]

Friends,
friends of mine.

What you have failed to understand,
the ugly ugly truth,

is that WE, AMIGAWORLD,
perhaps the whole Amiga-World,

are now in fact Trevor's bathroom.

/mega..

klx300r 
Posted on 24-May-2022 4:34:18
#67 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@agami

In the end, the X1000 hype reminded me of the verse from MacBeth:

Quote:
It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

I think you'll find that was from As You Like it

(Edit) Correction. My mistake, you are correct, it was Macbeth.

Your opinion about the X1000 is nonsense. It is a machine that works well and has been my prime developer's machine for years. The only possible criticism that can be levelled against it is that the device driver for the on-board Ethernet has never been released to the public. In all other respects it is the best Amiga ever built, IMO (better even than the X5000s).

+1 my X1000 has been rock solid hardware wise and to be honest my first OS4.x system was my old Samflex@800 by ACube which was also great hardware and the only reason I sold it was to buy the X1000 when it was first released and I’ve been happily using it since then

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Amiga4000 
Posted on 24-May-2022 5:45:05
#68 ]

cdimauro 
Posted on 24-May-2022 6:08:54
#69 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
AmigaOne is a different brand, for completely different machines.

You have not been here so much lately, so you may have missed some critical information concerning that.

I suggest reading #1641 and #1648 to see the more current status

OK, but I wasn't talking from a legal PoV.

I think that my sentence still applies.

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:

@cdimauro

I'm glad for your rebuttal regarding BigD's comments regarding the Xena fiasco and want to add that your comments are spot-on. I was interested in an X1000 until I began seeing all the dishonest sales/marketing tripe about the Xena "co-processor". After reading the spec sheet it was easy enough to figure out that it wasn't even as powerful as an Arduino, much harder to program, and much less useful than Trevor would have had us believe. Not to mention that users were asked to pay boutique prices for already ancient and EOL'd hardware.

The X1000/Xena left me with a bad taste in my mouth due to all the misleading sales statements and I'm glad now that I didn't buy into the hype nor buy an X1000, X5000 or put any money down on an A1222. There are much better ways these days to get the "Amiga experience" or the "Amiga feel" than buying anything Trevor has to offer.

I've written two articles on 2011 about the X1000 and Xena, when they were still not available, and I was way too optimistic.

In fact, Xena shown to be just a piece of junk once people had the chance to see how it really worked.

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:

As I've said, technically it's a piece of junk which has only PART of The Name.

And it's NOT an Amiga: it's an AmigaOne. Which is a completely different thing.

You don't know of what you're talking about. Another zealot...

BTW, if the X1000 is better than the X5000... then there was another mistake, right? Only Amiga make it possible...

BigD 
Posted on 24-May-2022 6:43:05
#70 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
BTW, if the X1000 is better than the X5000... then there was another mistake, right? Only Amiga make it possible...

It wasn't a mistake to bring in a new design that used a new CPU when the X1000's PA-Semi PA-6T became unavailable! That was an obvious move. Considering that the G5, PA-6T and the Cell were the last best PowerPC chips has more to do with subsequent machines reducing in capability. Freescale have primarily Arm development now. That's not Trevor's fault.

Saying that, the graphics card support through the Enhancer software is better for the X5000. Hence it is not 'cut and dried' which is 'better'.

Last edited by BigD on 24-May-2022 at 06:45 AM.

agami 
Posted on 24-May-2022 7:37:44
#71 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

It wasn't a mistake to bring in a new design that used a new CPU when the X1000's PA-Semi PA-6T became unavailable! That was an obvious move. Considering that the G5, PA-6T and the Cell were the last best PowerPC chips has more to do with subsequent machines reducing in capability. Freescale have primarily Arm development now. That's not Trevor's fault.

But sticking with PPC/Power ISA as the desktop class CPUs of that ilk were rapidly disappearing around him, is. He might not be technical enough to have ever understood the choice he was making, but as people keep reminding me, it was his money, he paid for ill advice, the buck stops with him.

Quote:
Saying that, the graphics card support through the Enhancer software is better for the X5000. Hence it is not 'cut and dried' which is 'better'.

Is that a hardware limitation of the X1000, or A-Eon never bothered to make the software just as good on the X1000 (artificial software limitation)?

You needn't answer that question.

BigD 
Posted on 24-May-2022 11:40:45
#72 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
But sticking with PPC/Power ISA as the desktop class CPUs of that ilk were rapidly disappearing around him, is. He might not be technical enough to have ever understood the choice he was making, but as people keep reminding me, it was his money, he paid for ill advice, the buck stops with him.

While I agree that the PPC development for desktop is effectively dead, I see that an ISA change in 2010 through 2016 would have cost Trevor and A-EON even more money and probably LOST him more money to please people like you that would have complained anyway. It was a difficult situation legally getting worse post 2016. Note: The deal with RGL was made in 2016 by Cloanto for licensing THEA500 Mini and that couldn't have been attempted today because of the court case! Trevor has perpetuated the NG platform for good or for ill with his own money and if you don't like it there are other options.

I don't see why anyone is angry about how a private individual invests his money! By all means be angry at Hyperion or Cloanto who believe they actually OWN part of the C= legacy and go about fighting over it rather than reaching a mutually beneficial agreement. A-EON and AmigaKit (other than threatening Amiga Addict and RetroPassion) by comparison MAKE & INVENT things!!! They are the heroes actually ADDING to the mix rather than being more vultures like in the book Trevor is co-writing.

Seriously, you can disagree with what I've said and you can think Trevor is a fool for wasting his money, but it really isn't sane to keep attacking people personally because they chose to continue a project as a labour of love rather than keep AmigaOS going for YOUR benefit on the ISA of YOUR choice! Hyperion/Cloanto wouldn't let YOU do it, but at least Trevor HAS attempted to steer this sort of development and HAS been proactive in creating new software and hardware!

This is looking like a "last one out turn off the lights" type forum these days and to be honest English Amiga Board for Classic discussion and Discord for THEA500 Mini are FAR more constructive and upbeat. We should ALL be ashamed of this thread and perpetuating it.

The only toilet here is this website and what we have made it!

I await the rabid meanderings of Violent Ken and shouts of "PRIZMAAARMEAGARRRRMIXXXXX-WOOF!!!" or such like

So yeah, may the last one our please swtich off the light unless you actually want to contribute to the light and...

"KEEP THIS PARTY GOING!"

Like Trevor wants to

Last edited by BigD on 24-May-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-May-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-May-2022 at 11:46 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 24-May-2022 12:22:13
#73 ]

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Like Trevor wants to

Friend BigD, you are one "amen" away from worship.

Habits eh?

/meGa!

Karlos 
Posted on 24-May-2022 12:56:52
#74 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@agami

Quote:
He might not be technical enough to have ever understood the choice he was making, but as people keep reminding me, it was his money, he paid for ill advice, the buck stops with him.

Ok, the buck for what, exactly?

number6 
Posted on 24-May-2022 14:32:55
#75 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
Is that a hardware limitation of the X1000, or A-Eon never bothered to make the software just as good on the X1000 (artificial software limitation)?

My understanding is that this is first and foremost about the firmware (CFE) in the X1000 as opposed to the firmware (Uboot) in the X5000 (which did receive additional support).

part of the story from Matthew

Last edited by number6 on 24-May-2022 at 04:05 PM.

Nonefornow 
Posted on 24-May-2022 15:17:18
#76 ]

@Amiga4000

Croatia is all like that.

Last edited by Nonefornow on 24-May-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Last edited by Nonefornow on 24-May-2022 at 03:22 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 24-May-2022 17:44:28
#77 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

There's not many nice people that are motivated to do something positive in the public sphere in their spare time putting their own money on the line in the process.

He is an investment angel, an Amiga evangelists and a geologist! He quite literally rocks!

Is he Jesus? Ans: No

... but he's not the "very naughty boy" from the Life of Brian that you seem to paint him as either!

Don't shoot your allies! Save that for the narcissists that deliver beautiful tech products but perpetuate modern day slavery and treat their workforce and family with contempt to get there! Oh no worries pancreatic cancer got the biggest perpetrator before you did! What too soon Apple lovers?

Last edited by BigD on 24-May-2022 at 05:45 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 24-May-2022 18:06:59
#78 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

It wasn't a mistake to bring in a new design that used a new CPU when the X1000's PA-Semi PA-6T became unavailable!

When the PA6T was chosen it was already known that it was EoL.
Quote:
That was an obvious move. Considering that the G5, PA-6T and the Cell were the last best PowerPC chips has more to do with subsequent machines reducing in capability.

The G5 was a better choice from a performance PoV.
Quote:
Freescale have primarily Arm development now.

Guess why...
Quote:
That's not Trevor's fault.

No. At least not this one. Trevor's fault was to trust, and continued to trust, incompetent/incapable/fanatic people as his advisors.

Anyway, it's his money, and he can do whatever he wants, as I've already repeated.
Quote:

Tell why it's not possible to improve it. After... how many? 12 years?
Quote:
Seriously, you can disagree with what I've said and you can think Trevor is a fool for wasting his money, but it really isn't sane to keep attacking people personally because they chose to continue a project as a labour of love rather than keep AmigaOS going for YOUR benefit on the ISA of YOUR choice! Hyperion/Cloanto wouldn't let YOU do it, but at least Trevor HAS attempted to steer this sort of development and HAS been proactive in creating new software and hardware!

That's wrong. Michele Battilana already said, long time ago, that he'll release the Amiga o.s. sources to the community under a consortium (AFAIR).

number6 
Posted on 24-May-2022 19:22:12
#79 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

You seem to be asking him about the X1000 again?

If that is the case then I already responded to that in post #75.

cdimauro 
Posted on 24-May-2022 19:58:32
#80 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

You seem to be asking him about the X1000 again?

If that is the case then I already responded to that in post #75.

So, after one year I assume that A-EON still has no source code. But if it's now owned by the ExecSG team, then it should be under Trevor's control.

Anyway, if the original firmware cannot be used, a new U-Boot-based version is always possible.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle