Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  16 secs ago
 Rassilon:  7 mins ago
 OlafS25:  11 mins ago
 pixie:  38 mins ago
 ncafferkey:  38 mins ago
 Hypex:  44 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  50 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 wakido:  1 hr 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  News from the Buffee Project!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Do you like the Buffee Project!
Yes, of Course!
No, Never!
I want a Quantum Computer!
I want to buy Amiga OS again and again!
I am a happy Amiga OS 4 User!
68K forever!
I`ll buy Pancakes for 100 Bucks!

PosterThread
roar 
Re: News from the Buffee Project!
Posted on 9-Mar-2024 18:20:36
#21 ]

@kolla

hahahah, i put my money where my mouth is!

Profile     Report this post  
roar 
Posted on 9-Mar-2024 18:27:10
#22 ]

@Tpod

I also like my 2000 with 3.2, im just waiting for it to break down :(

I dont see the point of the non standalone v4 cards, it takes over all t he chips any way so your amiga is just supplying power, kb, and mouse. people argue they cant live with out serial ports, one i don't get. I looked up on the amiga hardware sites and i cannot find any ting that uses the serial port that i would ever use. some say drawing tablets. so guess thats one reason to keep up your old hardware . My main point is to have all new hardware for peace of mind. the rest is a bonus.

roar 
Posted on 9-Mar-2024 18:28:13
#23 ]

@Tpod

I also like my 2000 with 3.2, im just waiting for it to break down :(

I dont see the point of the non standalone v4 cards, it takes over all t he chips any way so your amiga is just supplying power, kb, and mouse. people argue they cant live with out serial ports, one i don't get. I looked up on the amiga hardware sites and i cannot find any ting that uses the serial port that i would ever use. some say drawing tablets. so guess thats one reason to keep up your old hardware . My main point is to have all new hardware for peace of mind. the rest is a bonus.

Tpod 
Posted on 10-Mar-2024 12:19:17
#24 ]

@roar

Quote:

I dont see the point of the non standalone v4 cards, it takes over all t he chips any way so your amiga is just supplying power, kb, and mouse.

From what I gather the V4 MantiCore, IceDrake & FireBird have the option to be used just as an Accelerator & RTG card so you can continue to use the ECS or AGA chipset on the Amiga motherboard. From a logic based perspective why limit your Amiga to the old Chipset …. answer we are human & logic is combined with emotions (nostalgia for one) when we make decisions.

So using my own situation & my A2000 as an example I'll explain the more practical benefits of the non StandAlone V4 cards combined with an Amiga.

It has the following:

1. Zip100 - used for transfers to/from PC & my 1200T.
2. DVD Rom - used for CDRom Software & Music CD's but I can create my own data DVD on the PC & my A2000 can read it correctly.
3. Multiface III fast Parallel & Serial ports – I use the Parallel port with my trusty old Laserjet 6L, mainly printing from Wordworth 7 (also used with Linux PC via switch-box). The Serial port is available should I ever want to network (zip100 works great for transfers so I've never bothered).
4. External HD Floppy drive & original internal Floppy Drive, both come in handy occasionally.
5. GVP SCSI - External port available should I ever want to make use of it e.g. attach my SCSI Flatbed scanner or one of my external zip drives if my internal one ever fails.

Although it may be possible to add some of this to a StandAlone its a whole lot cheaper & simpler to just buy a FireBird & pop that in the 2000. I hope that helps explain the point of V4 non StandAlone cards .

V4 StandAlone has its own advantages (as you described) & as I think Ive already said if your Amigas are glitchy or you don't have an Amiga at all the StandAlone is a very good option. I would even go as far as to say if you only have one fully working reliable Amiga IMHO a StandAlone may be a wiser choice for some.

Last edited by Tpod on 10-Mar-2024 at 12:51 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle