Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 147 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  8 mins ago
 zipper:  33 mins ago
 Templario:  39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  53 mins ago
 RobertB:  58 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmigaOne XE Running after 20 Years
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: AmigaOne XE Running after 20 Years
Posted on 31-Mar-2023 11:19:08
#121 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:

Karlos wrote:
@Hans

To elaborate, backporting OS4 to 68K and then including any 3.2 enhancements/fixes that make sense for the 68K target. Maybe there aren't any that would still be applicable.

The goal is to have OS4 running on 68K and that 68K running however the end user prefers: Real 68020+ as an absolute minimum, 68040/60, Vampire, Emu68K, UAE, Amithlon (I wish).

As fun as it was in the day, to me the PPC itself is an absolute dead end and the biggest single obstacle to furthering OS4 - and to a lesser extent MorphOS - that exists today.

It serves no purpose today except as a dongle: an unnecessary bit of hardware to prevent running of software on anything else. In this case a very expensive dongle.

PowerPC wouldn't be a problem when IBM decides to release a low-cost and performance-competitive "Power Pi" with Raspberry Pi-compatible GPIO.

NXP/Freescale shouldn't play with different Power ISA with non-standard instruction set extensions e.g. QorlIQ P1022's e500V2 instruction set kitbash.

Full Power 9 instruction set compatibility is preferred which can scale from ARM Cortex A72 to Apple's M2 levels. ARM Cortex A53 has the common ARMv8 with 128-bit NEON SIMD.

Profile     Report this post  
SHADES 
Posted on 2-Apr-2023 22:06:02
#122 ]
Cult Member

@Hammer

Quote:
PowerPC wouldn't be a problem when IBM decides to release a low-cost and performance-competitive "Power Pi" with Raspberry Pi-compatible GPIO.

Hasn't happened. So, cannot be taken into consideration.

agami 
Posted on 3-Apr-2023 1:20:00
#123 ]

@Hammer

Quote:
when IBM decides to release a low-cost and performance-competitive "Power Pi" with Raspberry Pi-compatible GPIO.

Shall I start holding my breath, now?

klx300r 
Posted on 3-Apr-2023 22:02:36
#124 ]
Elite Member

@NathanH

welcome back and congrats on getting your XE back up and running again
Please forgive the usual suspects here and as Trixie already mentioned you should head over to amigans.net to get help without the drama for OS4.1 hardware and software

@ usual suspects

same old same old eh…yes I can love using OS4.1 on my PPC miggy and also love using OS3.2.2 on my 68k miggy. I’m very happy that every year we have new stuff both hardware and software wise coming out for my favourite OS. Enjoy your hobbies and try to help support the various communities around them.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

agami 
Posted on 4-Apr-2023 2:59:14
#125 ]

@klx300r

Quote:
I can love using OS4.1 on my PPC miggy and also love using OS3.2.2 on my 68k miggy.

Only an Amigan would profess their love for "using an OS" in 2023.

The rest of the world loves using certain apps and playing certain games. If they love playing VR games, they're most likely using Windows, but not because they love Windows.

With multi-platform apps and games, a person may prefer how one OS fits better with their workflow than another, or they might have philosophical preferences for anti-spyware or open source, but the OS is meant to mostly get out of a user's way.

On the Amiga however, a person almost has to enjoy using the OS itself, because lets face it, there aren't really any good apps to speak of.

It's like considering oneself a book lover, yet spending 90% of the time organising the bookshelves.

Karlos 
Posted on 4-Apr-2023 8:26:51
#126 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@agami

I don't think there's anything wrong with appreciating your OS. It's like appreciating your car. Like any car it's just a means of getting from A to B and modern cars are way better than old cars by almost every technical measure you can think of. Does that invalidate loving old cars?

agami 
Posted on 5-Apr-2023 1:32:16
#127 ]

@Karlos

Sorry @Karlos, generally love your work but you're off with the car analogy in this case.

Car is hardware, physical and tactile. It is a conveyance, it's main point is to transport from one location to another.
If the main goal of the car was to be able to look backwards from a seated position without turning your head, then the "car" part of the task would be less impactful. The doors for ingress and egress, the seats themselves, and the rear-view mirror become the interfacing points. How much do car people profess their enjoyment of using doors, seats, and rear-view mirrors? And of those that do, where are they on the bell curve of car owners' sentiment distribution?

I'm not saying it's wrong to enjoy using an OS itself, I'm just pointing out how that sentiment is anachronistic.

Karlos 
Posted on 5-Apr-2023 8:39:58
#128 ]
Elite Member

@agami

The mismatch is in the physical/virtual comparison not the concept. A car is a utility. Some are luxurious, comfortable and full of extras. Some are basic. Modern cars all tend towards automatic gearing (which makes perfect engineering sense given the move to hybrid and electric), but personally I love manual.

An OS is also a utility. It's there to run applications. But in the same way you can appreciate positive things or just personal preferences about how your car works or is kitted out, so you can for anything else. Including an OS.

I love how AmigaOS is very much in the background of what I need to do, how responsive it is. I prefer the simplistic 90s aesthetic too. I love that I can go in and fix things I don't like about it, despite it being proprietary. Most of all, I love the feel of it and I don't deny that this is a sentimental viewpoint. It doesn't matter because appreciation of anything is subjective.

agami 
Posted on 6-Apr-2023 2:39:20
#129 ]

@Karlos

If you insist on moving the car away from the hardware equivalence over to utility, then the application (utility program), like the car, is the thing that allows users to accomplish a task.
The OS in this model is the infrastructure, like the road is to the "utility" car.

One can of course still geek out and prefer driving over this road vs. that, get into the minutia of surface materials, sealing, straight highways vs. winding scenic routes, but these again would constitute a fringe elements of the car users' spectrum.

I've said this before: There was a time, during the bulk of the '90s, when the Amiga OS 3.x enabled workflow, was the most suited to my accomplishing of tasks.
During this time I had also used Apple's System 7.x, MacOS 8.x and 9, and Windows 9x. Anything that could be accomplished via all three ecosystems, I did it the quickest on Amiga OS.

That was then. Fast forward a little over two decades, and most other operating systems have modernised to the point where the Amiga OS 3.x methods (stuck in the '90s as they are) compare like a rotary dial to a touch-tone phone interface.

Perhaps for good measure, Amiga OS 3.x should play a recording of dial-up modem screeching and garbling sounds every time the TCP/IP stack is started. And while we're at it, lets add some of that Dobly B noise reduction hiss as the default to AmigaAMP.

Karlos 
Posted on 8-Apr-2023 8:55:52
#130 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Can you elaborate on how "ways of working" have evolved so radically from the 90s? I don't see it.

Sure, we have new and more varied HID like touchscreens and our daily media consuming computers fit in our pockets. We have the cloud, which allows for greater collaboration and to take work from device to device (what Fleecy Moss meant by Orthogonal Persistence. See, be wasn't a complete dreamer).

However, if you use your computer for content creation, you still generally sit at a desk, with a keyboard, mouse and monitor using a traditional point, click and type interface on an OS that sits in the background and manages the resources for your applications. Even if the application is just a web browser running a "cloud" version. So what's changed?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle