Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 61 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Marcian:  20 mins ago
 Karlos:  29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  46 mins ago
 Cammy:  58 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 SOFISTISOFTWARE:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga X1000 keyboard broke. Replacement?
Register To Post

PosterThread
ggw 
Amiga X1000 keyboard broke. Replacement?
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 16:48:09
#1 ]

The keyboard that came with my Amiga X1000 has phyically broken and I wish to replace it.
It is a KVX1000-1 from A-Eon.

The a-eon.com website's X1000 page is blank. AmiStore.net only does software when I looked, today.

Do any of you have experience with replacing yours?

Failing that, suggestions anyone?

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Profile     Report this post  
kolla 
Re: Amiga X1000 keyboard broke. Replacement?
Posted on 25-Jul-2020 16:56:56
#2 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Is it the same keyboard as AmigaOne? That is, a Cherry J82-16001 PS2 keyboard? If so, you can probably just get that more easily and use as spare parts :)

ggw 
Posted on 26-Jul-2020 12:07:56
#3 ]

@kolla

Not the same. I gave away my AmigaOne to one interested party, but he couldn't get it revived after disassembly and I accepted it back. Then a year later a father-son team with lots more Amiga experience asked for it when discussion of the AmigaOne came up at one of our meeting/eatings. It lives on with quite a change in storage hardware. I haven't seen that keyboard in 7 seven years. But it's not the like the X1000's.

So my question remains.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

BillE 
Posted on 26-Jul-2020 17:14:11
#4 ]

@ggw

It is a Cherry J82-16000

I bought one to replace my original Amiga X1000 keyboard which for some reason AmigaKit only supplied US layout in white. I wanted a white UK one so bought that and replaced the keys with the boing keys. I may still have the US layout one somewhere if you need parts.

https://www.cherry.de/PDF/EN_J82-16000.pdf shows all the different models so you should find the one you need. You will want a USB version not the PS/2 for the X1000.

ggw 
Posted on 3-Aug-2020 17:24:43
#5 ]

@BillE

I looked at the US USB model. I cannot tell (since "Model images may vary") which models may have the \ | key above the Enter key (and other differences).

I have never owned a PC and this layout *seems* to be a PC layout, but
*I am very used to they layout of the keyboard of the KX1000-1*

Maybe I better see about "fixing" the broken plastic of this one.

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Aug-2020 15:45:45
#6 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Quote:
Not the same. I gave away my AmigaOne to one interested party, but he couldn't get it revived after disassembly and I accepted it back.

What was wrong with it?

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Aug-2020 15:48:44
#7 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

Yes, that looks like it. With the Amiga keys in the wrong spot. Not customised enough.

BillE 
Posted on 5-Aug-2020 13:42:39
#8 ]

@Hypex

You just do what AEon did - swap them round. It can be done quite easily with a small screwdriver.

As we know they changed the CFE settings so you can only get the keys in the "right" places after OS4 has started - it used to work much better when it was part of CFE.

The keyboards are the same - just with the Alt and Amiga keys swapped.

ggw 
Posted on 5-Aug-2020 14:30:41
#9 ]

@Hypex
I gave it away because it could not serve as an online/networked backup system for the X1000. The AmigaOne as I had set it up was not looking forward to the I/O hardware of the computing future. I don't blame anybody. I had bought 2 gadgets to allow me to hot swap disks without opening up the AmigaOne. It never did work very well.

So, there was nothing *wrong* with the AmigaOne, but the guy I gave it away to undid it all and put it back together and it wouldn't work. At his behest I remember the 100 degree Sunday afternoon I went to his house. Parts were all laid out on what appeared to be the dining room table. The wife was barely tolerant (I could just *feel* it). After an hour of getting nowhere I offered to put it all in my car and deal with it at home.

I moaned about the whole thing (as I have done here) at our next club meeting and a father & his son said they'd like to give it a shot. I brought it all to the next monthly meeting and it was theirs.

Later, they said they were ecstatic to move on from keeping an A2000 going and the AmigaOne was up and running. I chose to believe them. They drifted away from the club over the next few months and I have never heard about it again.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Aug-2020 15:58:03
#10 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

Yes I did a bit of testng in that area. There is a function that sets the keys to be swapped. I went so far as to write a Kickstart module that sets it in place. I confirmed the code had been called and the OS reports the keys as being swapped. But it didn't work. The physical keys didn't swap. I wonder if it's because of the bootkeyboard class thingie. I mucked around with it for a week and then kinda gave up and put it aside. I did learn it was fairly easy to write an OS4 Kickstart module.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Aug-2020 16:08:31
#11 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

A classic AmigaOne (now). Sounds like an elaborate setup. Nice for it's day when they work well.

Sounds like the wife was putting the heat on top of the weather. Your AmigaOne as in danger.

Well, if the AmigaOne got going again, that would be good. Thanks for the story.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle