Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 pavlor:  14 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Maijestro:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 Rassilon:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc v. Hyperion VOF (update 22 Feb 2008)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tigger 
Re: Amiga Inc v. Hyperion VOF (update 17 Jan 2008)
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 16:42:52
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:

Darth_X wrote:
Quote:

royleith wrote:
AI took my $50 and gave me an unsolicited T-shirt and five years of empty and broken promises. I wish them an interesting and short life.

And the community should have taken Amiga inc to court over that...!

We had a lawyer willing to do that, and I couldnt get a dozen people to sign up for a class action lawsuit about the coupons.

I love the newsletter its awesome!!!

I knew I probably wouldnt get anything for it, I just wanted to help Amiga!!!

And lots of even sillier things were sent and posted instead. Hyperion should just start a coupon scam now and I think they could sell several 100 very very easy.
-Tig

Profile     Report this post  
Tigger 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 16:49:33
#82 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:

Darth_X wrote:
If Amiga inc can find money for a $10 million sign on the side of an arena, money for lawyers... but no money to fly out to Hyperion's offices to view OS4 for themselves? Or even show up at Amiga trade shows where OS4 is being demoed?

Why do you think they should have gone to Hyperions offices to see OS4, and I know McEwen and Fleecy have both been to shows and seen OS 4 running, so I guess I want to know why they should have done the first, and tell you they have done the second.
-Tig

number6 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 16:53:19
#83 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:
Why do you think they should have gone to Hyperions offices to see OS4, and I know McEwen and Fleecy have both been to shows and seen OS 4 running

Shouldn't need to do even that.
They had 2 XEs.
Garry Hare did his irc interview on one of them.

Kicko 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 17:06:01
#84 ]
Elite Member

Hyperion will wiiin, hyperion will wiiiiin, hyperion will wiiiiiin :)

Tigger 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 17:09:34
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Quote:

Kicko wrote:

:)

If you seriously think that, how do you think they are going to win the Itec case?
-Tig

COBRA 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 17:40:21
#86 ]

@umisef

Quote:
In 2.05, it says "KMOS shall own the Work".
The Definitions include "'Work' means the software development necessary in order for AmigaOS 4.0 to boot and operate on the Arctic for demonstration purposes as set out in Annex I hereof".

OK, you just sort of destroyed your own point. That clause clearly states that KMOS shall only get something "For demonstration purposes". Later on in the document it says:

2.01 Delivery. "Without prejudice to article 4.01 hereof, Hyperion shall deliver to KMOS an Object Code version of the Work upon first request by KMOS.

That's all KMOS gets from the contract, an object code version of AmigaOS4.0 booting on the Arctic device, which they may use only for demonstration purposes. Nowhere in the contract does it say that KMOS will get any IP or Source Code which arises from this work, and so not surprisingly, KMOS are not claiming any IP/Source Code based on the Arctic contract. In fact AInc's amended complaint no longer includes the Arctic contract, simply because it doesn't help them.

Last edited by COBRA on 21-Jan-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Tigger 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 20:21:54
#87 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@umisef

Quote:
In 2.05, it says "KMOS shall own the Work".
The Definitions include "'Work' means the software development necessary in order for AmigaOS 4.0 to boot and operate on the Arctic for demonstration purposes as set out in Annex I hereof".

OK, you just sort of destroyed your own point. That clause clearly states that KMOS shall only get something "For demonstration purposes". Later on in the document it says:

2.01 Delivery. "Without prejudice to article 4.01 hereof, Hyperion shall deliver to KMOS an Object Code version of the Work upon first request by KMOS.

First of all 2.01 is earlier in the document then 2.05, secondly that isnt 2.01 that 2.04, and finally you section is called Delivery. Look at what section 2.05 is called

2.05 Ownership and Limited Use

I'm guessing 2.05 would be the one we should look at for who owns it, and it says quite clearly.

"Without prejudice to the rights of the third parties, KMOS shall own the Work upon payment in full of all invoices related to the Work."

from the definitions we have:

"Work" of "the Work" means the software development necessary in order to for OS 4.0 to boot and operate on the Arctic for demonstration purposes as set out in Annex I hereof.

Thats pretty clear. The rest of the section is just explaining that since Hyperion still owes the developers money (and they get royalties on each unit until paid in full) that they can only use this version of OS 4.0 code for demonstration. It doesnt take away there ownership rights as you seem to be implying. KMOS paid for the develoopment, KMOS owns what was written.
-Tig

AmigaPhil 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 20:26:27
#88 ]
Cult Member

@Tigger

Quote:
Stop thinking of Hyperion as this big company, its a 1 man VOF whose one man has to work elsewhere to make ends meet.

You seem to insist that Hyperion is a one man company, but from their website, it looks like Hyperion is: Evert Carton, Timothy De Groote, and James Sellman.

I wanted to compare with the composition of the actual Amiga Inc. (Delaware), but I cannot find that info anymore (I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere).

I also tried to get more accurate info about both companies from the administration databases, but without success (it's a hard job when you don't know where to search).

COBRA 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 21:13:28
#89 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
I'm guessing 2.05 would be the one we should look at for who owns it

The question is not who owns "it", but rather what "it" is which is owned. Since the definition of "Work" does not include "Source code" or "IP related to the source code" and we know that the Source Code is not required for OS4 to boot and operate on the Arctic device, for that the Object Code is sufficient, and 2.04 clearly defines what KMOS will get as a deliverable, and that is the Object Code which they may use only for demonstration purposes.

To sum it up (again), all KMOS could ever get out of that contract as a deliverable is the object code of the changes required for OS4 to run on the arctic device, which they probably have already.

Last edited by COBRA on 21-Jan-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Tigger 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 22:39:52
#90 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaPhil

Quote:

AmigaPhil wrote:
@Tigger

Quote:
Stop thinking of Hyperion as this big company, its a 1 man VOF whose one man has to work elsewhere to make ends meet.

You seem to insist that Hyperion is a one man company, but from their website, it looks like Hyperion is: Evert Carton, Timothy De Groote, and James Sellman.

Feel free to email the two gentlemen and ask about there status. Lets be honest what exactly does a sales manager and a US Liason do for a company thats software is distributed by someone else (ie Acube)?
-Tig

Tigger 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 22:41:19
#91 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@Tigger

Quote:
I'm guessing 2.05 would be the one we should look at for who owns it

The question is not who owns "it", but rather what "it" is which is owned. Since the definition of "Work" does not include "Source code" or "IP related to the source code" and we know that the Source Code is not required for OS4 to boot and operate on the Arctic device, for that the Object Code is sufficient, and 2.04 clearly defines what KMOS will get as a deliverable, and that is the Object Code which they may use only for demonstration purposes.

No, software development (which they own) does not mean object code and object code only.
-Tig

AmigaPhil 
Posted on 21-Jan-2008 23:30:04
#92 ]
Cult Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@AmigaPhil

Quote:

AmigaPhil wrote:

Feel free to email the two gentlemen and ask about there status. Lets be honest what exactly does a sales manager and a US Liason do for a company thats software is distributed by someone else (ie Acube)?

I don't think I will annoy them with such a question (I probably will if it turns to be a key in the understanding of the lawsuit between Amiga/Hyperion).

In the meantime, do you have any info as to who are the Amiga Inc (D) founders ?

Spectre660 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 1:33:11
#93 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:
Well, it *does* say quite clearly that Itec is not bound by the jurisdiction provision. Seeing as that was part of the 2001 contract, the judge seems to believe that the 2001 contract applies to Itec at best partially, but possibly not at all.

Maybe the jurdisdiction issue will bite on both sides.
See pdf no 72-2 page 38.

Tigger 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 2:47:06
#94 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

Maybe the jurdisdiction issue will bite on both sides.
See pdf no 72-2 page 38.

No, Itec is a NY company, Hyperion did business with them, NY is the place for a lawsuit to occur.
-Tig

elatour 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 5:19:54
#95 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaPhil

Quote:
Yeah. I wonder how well William A Kinsel (Hyperion's only lawyer) will do fighting on three case fronts at the same time.

Hide all of the money he makes as a result under his matress?

CodeSmith 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 6:05:32
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:
You bought software that Hyperion likely doesnt have a license to sell, did you say "Pieces of Eight, Pieces of Eight" while you did it?

Wait a minute - did you just call every single OS4 owner a pirate?

Dandy 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 6:07:39
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@Kicko

Quote:

Kicko wrote:

:)

If you seriously think that, how do you think they are going to win the Itec case?

That's quiete easy:
The judge decides in their favour...

Dandy

COBRA 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 6:34:10
#98 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
No, software development (which they own) does not mean object code and object code only.

Well I know you like to add things to contracts which are not there but that doesn't change the fact that when you sign a contract and define in a clause what will be delivered to you, you will get just that, nothing more. Nowhere is there any mention in the contract of Source Code or IP relating to it, and it's clearly defined under the "Delivery" section that KMOS are getting Object Code and even that they're only allowed to use for demonstration purposes, so there's nothing to argue about here.

Last edited by COBRA on 22-Jan-2008 at 06:35 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 7:25:02
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:

Hmmm - let me think - I bought an OS that Hyperion delivered (OS4 for classic).

You bought software that Hyperion likely doesnt have a license to sell,

In the contract I read they have that license - so your point being?

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

did you say "Pieces of Eight, Pieces of Eight" while you did it?

??????
What "Pieces of Eight"? After Eight?
??????

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

...you have much lower standards then I do.

Of course - yours is much bigger than mine...

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

Quote:

Why did it take AInc so long to notice it?
Didn't they fulfil their contractual obligation for inspection?

The contract states:
"2.02 Timeline. Hyperion shall use best efforts to ensure that Amiga OS 4.0 is ready for release before march 1, 2002.
2.04 Records and Inspection. During the term of this Agreement, the AmigaOne Partners shall deliver to Amiga bi-monthly reports within thirty (30) after the end of ..."

You apparently don't understand that those inspections are to check sales vs royalties paid, they have nothing to do with seeing how Hyperion is doing on getting the software done.

I understand very well that if after June 1, 2002, no sales report arrived at AInc, their alarm bell should have rung and they should have become active - so in my book it's solely AIncs fault that OS4 is that late - they had it in their own hands to accelerate things...

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

And AI has been asking for the software for years as we have seen from the court documents.

Haven't seen it there - could you please point me to?

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

Which just proves our point, AI did as much (actually more) for OS 4.0 then Hyperion did.

Yes - those criminals actually did more:
They took 50 Euros from me and gave nothing in return up to now...

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

Never thought that way...

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

Again, since no Royalties have been paid from Hyperion to AI, there is no reason for an inspection by AI of Hyperions books, what exactly got you off on this tangent that makes you think the inspection clause has something to do with Code?

Exactly this is the reason why AInc should have become active in June 2002.
They set a timeline in § 2.02 of the 2001 contract and in 2.04 they secured the right for inspection of the AmigaOne Partner's books.

Wouldn't you agree that such a secured right only makes sense, if you execute it in case no money arrives?

And if - as you stated - Hyperion waived their claimes by waiting too long, its only fair to say Ainc waived their rights as well by the same reason.

Dandy

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 22-Jan-2008 7:50:46
#100 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

did you say "Pieces of Eight, Pieces of Eight" while you did it?

??????
What "Pieces of Eight"? After Eight?
??????

"Pieces of eight" is a common phrase attributed to pirates (the kind with peglegs and parrots). Basically, Tigger is alleging that Hyperion were behaving like Jack Sparrow by selling OS4 Classic.

edits: fixed a typo, and added the links, and stuff

Last edited by NomadOfNorad on 22-Jan-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Last edited by NomadOfNorad on 22-Jan-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Last edited by NomadOfNorad on 22-Jan-2008 at 07:54 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle