Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 42 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  24 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 Frank:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 Lou:  5 hrs 47 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] LimeBook PPC - FOR AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS Developer - Evaluation
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Poll : LimeBook PPC - Only For - Developer Evaluation - Pre Orders
I will place an pre-order 1-3 Months
I will place an pre-order 3-6 Months
I will place an pre-order 6-12 Months
When its Amiga enabled or compatible
No
Pancakes
2 more weeks

PosterThread
meet.mrnrg 
Re: [Poll] LimeBook PPC - FOR AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS Developer - Evaluation
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 15:39:08
#441 ]

@ALL

---Package Updates---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/package_updates_large.jpg

---System Control Monitor---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/system_control_monitor_large.jpg

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 19-Apr-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 19-Apr-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 16:17:57
#442 ]

@ALL

---WebCam---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/webcam_large.jpg

---Chat & VOIP---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/chat_and_voip_large.jpg

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 17:02:33
#443 ]

@ALL

---Audio Recorder---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/audio_large.jpg

---Open Office Power Point---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/openoffice_powerpoint_large.jpg

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 17:22:15
#444 ]

@ALL

---MineField Browser (FireFox Alpha) ---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/minefield_browser_large.jpg

---Email---
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/email_large.jpg

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 19-Apr-2009 at 05:22 PM.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 20:28:18
#445 ]

USA, UK, EU, AU (AW)-- April 19, 2009
TryTerra™ Computers in partnership with Easy Pocket Money ™

Lime Book Purchase Order - Form
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebook-ppc/Lime_Book_Purchase_Order_REV1.pdf

Terms / Payment (*Conditions Apply – Maximum Subsidy $150.00)
eBay Purchase using PayPal / Credit Card
Subsidy: These require proof / accompanying documentation, and or notarization / statutory declaration.

Zylesea 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 21:10:53
#446 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

Quote:

acefnq wrote:
@Zylesea
What sort of Amiga do you run, just for the record?

ace

I use a total of 3 ppc 3 x86 and one 68k maschine.
My main maschine is a Pegasos with MorphOS, but there's also an Efika with MorphOS. Occassionally an A600 is used for a game and there are two WinUAE installations on my both Windows computers.
My Mac Mini waits for the final MorphOS release and for my I am thinking of checking out AROS for my Eee.

Last edited by Zylesea on 19-Apr-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 21:26:33
#447 ]
Elite Member

@Zardoz

Quote:

Zardoz wrote:
@Hammer

No, there's an issue with the memory bus on the PPC in question, I can't remember exactly. There's info about it on MZ. MorphOS runs on the 5200 as well, it's that specific CPU that is peculiar, not embedded ones in general.

It has been in this thread, too. The problem is a cache incoherence. The software must take care about the cache. On systems like AOS or MorphOS this shoudn't be too complicated, but it is an issue. An even worse issue is, that the documentation of the PowerVR is *not* publically available. And I don't know if someone actually has used the AXE engine yet...
Thi limebook is YADE (yet another dead end). Unfortunatey I must add. I was VERY keen about that project a while ago...

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 21:39:38
#448 ]

@Zylesea

Its up to the tech people to devise a way, make revision/s to the software and hardware!
RIGHT NOW! LimeOS works great, and even can run Java Runtime / SDK & OpenOffice on a Linux Kernal. If they can do it, the Amiga people should be able to also. I have had one engineer mention its likely to incorporate fixes for AmigaOS or workarounds for AmigsOS if the bottlenecks persists. ---Please ignore any hearsay, just watch the video's---

Hans 
Posted on 19-Apr-2009 23:47:06
#449 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:

meet.mrnrg wrote:
@Zylesea

Its up to the tech people to devise a way, make revision/s to the software and hardware!
RIGHT NOW! LimeOS works great, and even can run Java Runtime / SDK & OpenOffice on a Linux Kernal. If they can do it, the Amiga people should be able to also. I have had one engineer mention its likely to incorporate fixes for AmigaOS or workarounds for AmigsOS if the bottlenecks persists. ---Please ignore any hearsay, just watch the video's---

Is the LimeOS source-code available? More precisely, how about the driver code? And what about the documentation for the chipset? I can remember having a quick look around and it contains a PowerVR MBX graphics core. Whilst this isn't the most powerful graphics chip, it is in use in a number of mobile phones (e.g., the iPhone and Nokia N95). Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any publicly available documentation for this graphics core.

I know that people expect everything Linux to be fully open-sourced, but I've received quotes from companies selling industrial (compact-PCI) motherboards who charge $2000 for the Linux drivers that are required by the hardware that they sell.

Hans

P.S. I think that it's pretty obvious now that you have at least one LimeBook in your posession. We don't need to see photos and videos of every program that's installed on it, or every update.

Last edited by Hans on 19-Apr-2009 at 11:49 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 1:49:52
#450 ]
Team Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:

meet.mrnrg wrote:
@Zylesea

Which tech people would these be? Have you secured any for this work? Have you created a business partnership between Hyperion to revise their software and Tsinghua Tongfang to revise their hardware (if need be). And if the hardware needs revising what good would the current laptops you are desperately trying to sell here be to any Amiga users?

Quote:
RIGHT NOW! LimeOS works great, and even can run Java Runtime / SDK & OpenOffice on a Linux Kernal. If they can do it, the Amiga people should be able to also.

Terrasoft made Yellow Dog Linux for PS3, and sadly we have not been able to make any Amiga-like OS for PS3. It would seem likely that Terrasoft had more money and folks to get that done, just like it would appear that Tsinghua Tongfang had for LimeOS on Limebook. Just because others do something does not mean we can do it when its unclear how much money and people those parties had to accomplish a similar task. If we don't have similar means as a community, then its not a fair thing to simply say we "should be able to [do it] also".

Bottom line you are putting the cart ahead of the horse. You need to assemble a programming team meet.mrnrg. One you are either paying for, or one that you get to work for free. And even if you get such a team together, and it would be cool if you did, I wish you the best of luck, you'd still need to coordinate getting them certain documentation about the hardware. Its pretty clear from your messages here that you have done none of this. And before you say its the community that needs to do that, not you, just remember, you are the one trying to make a business out of selling us expensive Linux netbooks.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Amiga 1200

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 2:28:14
#451 ]

@fairlanefastback

$2, $1, 50c, 2c whats next?
Take a look at the Order Form (PDF)

wegster 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 4:25:04
#452 ]
Elite Member

@mikipedia

Quote:

mikipedia wrote:
@fairlanefastback
@wegster
I've been watching this thread for a little while now and I tried posting earlier but for some reason I was blocked for a day it said. Been around AW.net for years, just haven't ever posted anything.

Then welcome to AW, regardless (or your first post, at least).

Quote:

I am just wondering what is both of your guys' problem with meet.mrnrg? I don't want to go too much into it, I am kind of tired of reading your responses. But seriously??? WTF? Why don't you stop accusing the guy and stop telling him what to do and how much money to make? Has he in any way screwed you over? And who are you pretending you are internet police?

His product doesn't interest me much, but I don't see ANY harm in what he's doing. It is ambiguous to you? So what? It is too expensive? So what? He'll be making money? So what? 1000% profit? Good for him... Did he put a gun to our heads and made us pay for something we didn't want? Vote with your wallets...I will be.

Fairlane answered this, and I don't deviate much with my own response - Amiga users, and potential ones, have been through the wringer enough with vaporware, and I have a *huge* dislike/distaste for half-truths and misleading posts, that are either intentionally or not, deceiving others.

In nrg's case, look back through his posts, and this thread - quite often it's *quite* confusing as to what information he's presenting, what is versus 'what might be' etc, so more than just myself and fastlane have asked for clarification, as well as supplying links to other 'information' about Lime that's relevant, which yes, certainly includes pricing. I doubt you'll find nrg being consistently singled out here, and as I've been participating in this thread, also have not moderated in the same, to effectively give him the benefit of the doubt, no matter how frustrating some prior posts and non-answers have been.

*shrug* Why don't YOU understand while you're perfectly happy to read whatever it is that is 'fine with you,' others, not only fastlane and myself, prefer more *actual* information, and if something seems fishy, it's going to get commented on, until things are clarified...

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 5:16:54
#453 ]

@ALL
---Amiga Bounty---
Donate a LimeBook - To AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS - Developers
http://amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=34

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 6:16:42
#454 ]
Team Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
Title: Donate a LimeBook - To AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS - Developers

Synopsis: To gather donations, for the purpose of purchasing LimeBook notebook/s for 1 or more of developers from each of the following teams;
1) AmigaOS
2) MorphOS
3) AROS Project members:

1) Developer will be rewarded with a nice notebook, the LimeBook.
2) Work, Business & Fun may become a little bit more pleasurable
3) Developer may become more productive, in and out of the office / house
4) Developer may become familiar enough with LimeBook chip set & configuration, enough to give a better approach / road map towards achieving one of the Amiga Communities goals. Which is Amiga Power - Notebooks / Laptops

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/TryTerra-Computers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160325770518
http://amiga.easypocketmoney.com/limebookppc/Lime_Book_Purchase_Order_REV1.pdf

Created by: easypocketmoney
Created at: 20090419 23:49
Deadline: Not set
Finished at: Not finished
Last update: Not updated
Assigned to: Not assigned
Comments: 0

Oh jeez dude. Now you are making a mockery out of one of the Amiga community's bounty systems. So lets get this straight. You create a bounty to buy Limebooks from an exclusive vendor only (you). At your price, for which the comparison we have from news items across the internet makes it appear you may be overcharging by quite a bit. You have no developers listed so there is no transparency as to who you'd distribute the equipment to. If only one or two get bought which team gets preference? And you provide no requirement that said developer(s) even work on the project of porting in order to get the equipment.

And you give the community no assurance that the machine will be even widely available to the European and/or U.S. markets. So even if we as a community collectively "buy" the machines through this it could all be for nothing.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Amiga 1200

Hans 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 6:50:17
#455 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

I think that I should point out at this stage that amigabounty.net clearly says that it's focused on Amiga OS 4. While other Amiga like OSes may well benefit from the bounties due to open-source licenses, this suggested bounty doesn't match the focus of the site. Even ignoring this, I doubt that the bounty will be accepted and opened in its current form. The suggested bounty doesn't talk about development of anything.

Meet.mrnrg doesn't have to specify who the machines would be going to; developers would have to ask to be assigned the bounty. Having said that, the only developers that it would make sense to give it to, are OS4 developers that could actually perform the work (e.g., have access to the HAL/bootup source-code). Really, it is pointless unless Hyperion agree to a port to the LimeBook; if they don't, it's just not happening.

I'd personally be okay with a fund to get LimeBooks to developers, but only if it were with Hyperion's support. I definitely would like to have an Amiga laptop (although I'd prefer one with a graphics card that had shaders), but it's Hyperion's call what hardware is and isn't supported.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 20-Apr-2009 at 06:50 AM.

SAY.NO.TO.LIES 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 6:54:44
#456 ]

I really think this thread provides a rather interesting example of how the love of money can affect an individuals morality.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 7:04:24
#457 ]
Team Member

@Hans

Quote:
Meet.mrnrg doesn't have to specify who the machines would be going to; developers would have to ask to be assigned the bounty.

Which currently has these requirements:

1) Say you develop software, skill level and experience not required to be anything.
2) Say you would like to be "rewarded with a nice notebook, the LimeBook."

This is no bounty in the first place, as you allude to.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Apr-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Amiga 1200

Rob 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 7:31:55
#458 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
Donate a LimeBook - To AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS - Developers

That's exactly what I was going to suggest you do.

Have you even been in contact with the relevant parties to find out if they'd consider LimeBook as a target hardware, or are you just going to send the hardware blind while others take the financial hit.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 10:47:40
#459 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Now you are making a mockery out of one of the Amiga community's bounty systems.
-- NO, and You know its not!

The only mockery is to take no action, if you didn't hear SonyErricson laid of thousand more workers! The Gaming industry took a nose dive in profits for the first time. Stop punching holes where there are is no need!

Quote:
European and/or U.S. markets.
French and Spanish LimeOS is ready! Boxing and Manuals are being translated -- Work in progress!

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Apr-2009 10:56:45
#460 ]

@Hans

Good points.. Hopefully on the 8th day are wishes will be granted!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle