Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  1 min ago
 kriz:  30 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  38 mins ago
 Rob:  53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Anubis...what's it about?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Al4 
Anubis...what's it about?
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 21:18:16
#1 ]

Could Anubis developers possibly say something about Anubis, i.e. what they are intending to make with this OS? I'm a bit interested...partly because it's being done by people coming from those that did AROS.

Thank you in advance if you do.

e.g.

timescale

how is it connected with AROS?

X11: will this be a decent graphics system how you use it?

architectures? I saw ARM mentioned somewhere

anything else

Last edited by Al4 on 13-Jun-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Last edited by Al4 on 13-Jun-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Last edited by Al4 on 13-Jun-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
tomazkid 
Re: Anubis...what's it about?
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 21:43:22
#2 ]
Team Member

@Al4

Moved to Alt Amiga OS forum

OldAmigan 
Posted on 13-Jun-2009 22:37:49
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Al4

Hi, I'm not one of the devs but I've been keeping a loose eye on the website since it was announced, should be some info there for you.

It's an Amiga inspired OS, not based on OS 3.1 API's, apparently and aims to take advantage of the fact that there are plenty of drivers available in the Linux world.

Also, read this

X11 is used for graphics display, etc, throughout the Unix world.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by OldAmigan on 13-Jun-2009 at 10:41 PM.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 14-Jun-2009 21:29:09
#4 ]
Elite Member

Anubis will have a filesystem that is Amiga-like rather than the rat-maze of directories that have everything helter-skelter and unmovable. It will only be possible to recompile Linux code if it contains a load of symbolic links within the filesystem to redirect things from their old Unix-style locations to the new Amiga-like locations. GoboLinux has already done this in the past so it is plausible.

As far as making things AROS-like, I think they'll try to reuse as much code as they can from AROS. It will still be a Linux distro though.

Keep in mind that most Linux code is bloated by many library dependencies so by keeping the number and type of libraries installed on Anubis to a minimum will take some serious discipline.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 14-Jun-2009 21:49:05
#5 ]
Elite Member

re: architectures

It will support all processor architectures that Linux supports. One thing that Dr. Michael Schulz told me on IRC was that he likes the LLVM compiler infrastructure. I discussed a few specifics about cross-architecture portability and it seems to be one of the goals of the team.

According to the FAQ on the LLVM page, C/C++ code cannot be used to generate cross-platform LLVM bitcode files because the platform specifics are usually defined in preprocessor macros rather than letting the dead-code eliminator deal with conventional if-then-else clauses. Also, on most C/C++ compilers the sizeof and offsetof operators are treated as macros rather than functions.

For these reasons and others, I suspect they will stick to Objective C as their programming language of choice unless something more portable comes along.

DrZarkov 
Posted on 15-Jun-2009 12:54:29
#6 ]

Hm, I don't get. What they want to do, is already invented. It's called FreeBSD. Just put Enlightenment on it, plus UAE, a nice Amiga wallpaper and ready.

Zardoz 
Posted on 15-Jun-2009 15:00:16
#7 ]
Team Member

@DrZarkov

Quote:
Hm, I don't get. What they want to do, is already invented. It's called FreeBSD. Just put Enlightenment on it, plus UAE, a nice Amiga wallpaper and ready.

?

How is that even similar to what they want to achieve?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 15-Jun-2009 21:55:43
#8 ]
Team Member

@all

Personally I'm very excited about the concept of this project. Having the driver side stuff already addressed is HUGE in my book. I hope they can get an alpha out sooner rather than later. And I'd love to see a bounty system for this as soon as that happens.

Amiga 1200

emavys 
Posted on 15-Jun-2009 22:27:00
#9 ]
From: La Coruña (a nice place in the North-West coast of Spain)

I can only think that Anubis is the new kid on the block and a serious contender because of the hardware. If the team can make AROS but with linux kernel (the project at sourceforge is named ARIX) eventually could seriouly damage the other porjects. Imagine the benefits of an AROS/Amiga like OS running on every hardware.

This only could be good things

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 15-Jun-2009 22:37:49
#10 ]
Team Member

@emavys

Quote:

emavys wrote:
I can only think that Anubis is the new kid on the block and a serious contender because of the hardware. If the team can make AROS but with linux kernel (the project at sourceforge is named ARIX) eventually could seriouly damage the other porjects. Imagine the benefits of an AROS/Amiga like OS running on every hardware.

This only could be good things

That would be awesome. (minus the damage the other projects bit)

I think the biggest question is do they have enough folks to pull it off in a reasonable amount of time.

Amiga 1200

HKvalhe 
Posted on 15-Jun-2009 22:38:37
#11 ]

@Al4

It proves that there is still a huge interest in alternative OSes, and Anubis shares a lot of similarites to AmigaOS in concept when being small, smooth, efficienty and user-friendly..

Looks like Windows is no longer the best solution to an OS. Most used, yes, but the best choice? Not really...

Leo 
Posted on 15-Jun-2009 23:46:43
#12 ]

AmigaOS sure has good points (which Anubis will hopefully keep/recreate), but it's for sure not easy to use nor friendly at all. Not for an OS of 2009 though. Back in 1985 it certainly was, but today things have changed...

QuBe 
Posted on 16-Jun-2009 4:16:43
#13 ]

@OldAmigan

Website looks professional... has an Amiga class about it... I will follow Anubis too! Just bookmarked the site :)

Q!

"i am home"

Arko 
Posted on 16-Jun-2009 8:44:39
#14 ]

@DrZarkov

Quote:

DrZarkov wrote:

No !

There is already something like 'AROS Linux hosted' but AmigaOS has a lot of limitations according to memory protection and SMP. It is not possible to use SMP in AROS because AROS is limited to the old AOS3 APIs, this APIs where written for a single user system with shared memory and without any MMU.

Anubis should be a Amiga like system with modern APIs, it will not use shared memory, it will be possible to use SMP on modern multicore systems under Anubis.

Instead of a windows manager on X11 Anubis should have an Amiga like GUI, with direct access to the framebuffer device ( or similar ), responsivness to GUI events will be as fast as we know it from the Amiga and not like it is on a Linux system.

The filesystem ? That would not be ambicious there are allready existing Amiga filesystems for Linux ...

---

From my understanding Anubis will be something like an AROS-NG, what we don't know is how compatible the new APIs will be to the Amiga.

Last edited by Arko on 16-Jun-2009 at 08:46 AM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

DrZarkov 
Posted on 18-Jun-2009 15:02:50
#15 ]

@Arko

> what we don't know is how compatible the new APIs will be to the Amiga.

And that is exactly the point! What do they want? There is AROS, there is ARIX, there was Amithlon and there is (was?) xAmiga. Amitlhon and xAmiga are just a Linux Kernel with some basics to start an emulator, mostly basing on UAE. That is currently the only way to get compatibility on a foreign hardware without recompiling any software. Which leads us to AROS or AmigaOS 4.x. Both are more or less new OSses, basing on the old ideas (Aros) or sources (AmigaOS 4.x).

So Anubis wants to use a Linux Kernel and build up everything around it with Amiga look & feel? Hm, even that is already done, using a Quark Kernel instead of the Linux kernel, it's called Morphos. So Anubis wants to go in that direction, but for x86 hardware? Good idea. But what I read at the homepage it just sounds like an improved Linux (that's why I say FreeBSD, it has the cleaner structure, which is more like you would expect in a modern AmigaOS, that's why the "underground" of MacOS X is from FreeBSD). So it's just the windowing system? That's why I suggested Enlightenment (not for the first time, remember the good old day with Jim Collas? In that time Enlightenment was in discussion, too). You can easily reach an Amiga look & feel. X Windows is an advantage, everybody would like to see modern applications like Firefox or Open Office running native on an Amiga. And compatibility with classic Amiga? There is only one way to reach it, that is UAE. If you do it the "AROS-way" of just recompiling the old software, you still have the disadvantages of missing memory protection. So what do they really want? Just a better looking Linux for ex-Amigans or a new OS like an "Open Source Morphos for x86"? The homepage is nice looking, but does not provide much information.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 18-Jun-2009 18:49:10
#16 ]
Elite Member

@DrZarkov

I thought the web page did say that they were going to use GnuStep as the basis for the GUI of Anubis rather than Enlightenment. Also that means that Objective C will be used as their programming environment. While FreeBSD can recompile 98% of their Kernal in Clang and use Clang as their development compiler and Clang supports Objective C, that doesn't mean that it will work any better than Linux. Only time will tell however.

NovaBurst 
Posted on 18-Jun-2009 19:00:39
#17 ]

If you guys haven't read the milestone, it has the most information right now.

http://anubis-os.org/milestone-r1-in-brief

This will not be a Linux distribution. Anubis will only use the Linux kernel and will build from there. It will be an Amiga-like OS.

Last edited by NovaBurst on 18-Jun-2009 at 07:03 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 18-Jun-2009 19:08:21
#18 ]
Elite Member

@NovaBurst

Quote:
Instinct.library - our GUI toolkit

i hope it's not based on Basic language.

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 19-Jun-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 19-Jun-2009 at 09:27 AM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 18-Jun-2009 19:08:48
#19 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

why don't call it: AMIX?

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 18-Jun-2009 19:28:36
#20 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

I think you forgot to put a smiley on there, AmigaBlitter. AMIX was bundled with the Amiga 3000UX and was a version of Unix for it.

ARIX reflects the AROS roots better anyway. (That is the codename on the SourceForge project.)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle