Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  19 mins ago
 pixie:  44 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 Rassilon:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 Ratta:  2 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why can't AROS catch on?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigBentheAussie 
Re: Why can't AROS catch on?
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 15:59:37
#61 ]

@Dreamcast270mhz

Ummmm.... x86 on Silicon may die, but then there's Graphene.
Big Blue Demos 100Ghz Chip
Hard to imagine this technology not being applied to the x86 architecture most prominently.

Profile     Report this post  
serk118 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 16:03:36
#62 ]
Cult Member

@Manu

Quote:
If Aros continue to have this great achievements that it has had the past year it will no doubt have a very bright future. I believe in our Aros coders they do one hell of a job.

Aros is the only amiga alike OS that can be installed without any problem to most x86 based
laptops & desktops & x86 hw is lot more cheaper & faster than any ppc hw out today.

Aros is getting there just like os4 and mos & none of them are in pro usage yet & i love Aros.

I have not done any coding for aros yet but after we get wifi than i will start helping aros community is well.

to me MOS is more better than current OS4 & if there was a x86 version MOS than OS4 will be out of picture today.

why would i spent lot of money to buy AONE than sam than x1000 to run 3.9 version of amigaOS as os4x on ppc hw & no software to run lol.

Os4 users we do not start any fire here saying howcomes os4 can not run hd movies yet.
do we no? than why dont you guys go and pick on os4 team & ask when are you going to see firefox & when are you going to see x1000 hw or when are you going to get pro software for os4 plus more what ever you want to see on os4 & leave Aros out of your frame please....

Yes i am an Aros & WinUAE user not os4 or mos so not everyone who visits AW are not os4 users & if AW is for os4 users only than ADMIN delete my account today.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

pavlor 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 16:41:40
#63 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:
why would i spent lot of money to buy AONE than sam than x1000 to run 3.9 version of amigaOS as os4x on ppc hw & no software to run lol.

Translation, please.

itix 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 16:41:53
#64 ]
Elite Member

For a while back to the topic...

@Al4

Quote:

AROS could be a proper alternative to Windows.

AROS and linux are both free. But, linux has lots of graphics tearing on watching videos and is slow for certain things. AROS doesn't have either of those issues. Therefore, it could be the alternative to Windows in the future, in a way linux can't.

Amiga operating systems are not only alternative operating systems. There is huge following behind BeOS-family (Haiku does not have the name even) but also obscure operating systems like Syllable, Visopsys, MenuetOS, SkyOS... you name it. It is long road for any alt-os to become number 1 alt-os let alone a proper alternative to number 1 operating system (in terms of sales), Windows.

Last edited by itix on 12-Feb-2010 at 04:44 PM.

serk118 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 17:01:29
#65 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

try http://translate.google.com/# matey...

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

Manu 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 17:17:22
#66 ]

@phoenixkonsole
Quote:

@Manu
i think 2 years instead of 10 : )
You now i'm trying to get development boosted (every month from now on). If i have sold a specific amount of AresOne i will hire one or to offshore coders to work on development tools and libaries. Lets say port everything from Aminet(A-Z) to AROS : )
Also i'm thinking as a user - i know what i use my mac for and everything i need will soon work on AROS too. At least then one people can use AROS as main-soulution.
Printing is coming - terminilis could print a PDF created with Cinnamon Writer via a Post-script printer. Mr. Desler will try to include a function to print directly via Post-script. Terminilis will do a spooler and hopes to bring Gutenprint/cups too AROS.
By the way Cinnamon Writer will be released soon to the public. But only the second newest version available for AROS.
A Media Center solution is on its way too....
Stephen Jones (Imica) found someone who brings Catweasel-support.

Hey that's lots of good news. I knew Treminills has reached far in creating print support but I did not know the exact status of it. Lots of things going on behind the scenes for Aros it seems. Interesting times for 2010 !

PS. I hope you're right about the 2 years

persia 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 17:51:42
#67 ]

@itix
For the overwhelming majority of computer users an OS is a program loader. All it needs to do is load the programs people use and make sure that those programs don't invade each other's memory space and crash the machine.

It's all about the apps....

steril606 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 18:16:48
#68 ]

Wow, when I saw the thread title this morning, I already knew, this will degenerate into this weeks version of "Let's #### on other Amiga flavours".

Aren't you people never getting tired talking about this?

cha05e90 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 18:46:56
#69 ]

@Manu

Quote:
and hopes to bring Gutenprint/cups too AROS.

Maybe he can re-use the corresponding soon-to-be-written AnubisOS code...

pavlor 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 19:05:55
#70 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Quote:
try http://translate.google.com/# matey...

Doesn´t help...

DiskDoctor 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 19:28:34
#71 ]
Cult Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
@Al4

In 3 words: Blue Collar Coding.

Man, what a brilliant term! I'm just about to start using it extensively

My opinion is that AROS both lacks new software (read: coders) and 68k JIT (so one could say, it lacks old software also). I think lack of coding applies to the OS alone.

One more thing is that it lacks money. AmigaOS has company backup, MorphOS Devs have some money out of it (not much I suppose) which is motivating. AROS bases only on donations which is next to nothing in such a tiny world.

Also the key shortage is that it's not just an x86 OS as Linux or Windows. It runs on specific HW combinations. Not sure the percentage but I wouldn't bet AROS boots on more than 10-20% PCs nowadays (I include all notebooks or netbooks, also ARM, Intel and AMD).

I see the bright light by such marvellous projects as iMicar line or ARES. People need a PC occasionally so anybody feeling anything towards Amiga should possibly get him/herself the stuff that suits him/her. And be cool that AROS works on it flawlessly

Tomppeli 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 19:31:00
#72 ]

@Al4

Because X1000 is around the corner !!!

(And it's unmature and lacks features.)

Amigamia 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 19:32:36
#73 ]

To all the AROS fans and followers:

Why are you even fighting and arguing in here with other folks who clearly have already made up their mind about which OS they are going to use?

If you want to ask for help or share your enthusiasm about AROS then do it the right way. There are two sites dedicated for this purpose:

AROS-EXEC

&

AROSWORLD

Fighting on AOS is better than Linux which is better than AROS or Linux is better than this and that is so useless and unproductive in my opinion. If you want to use your time do it in the right and productive way. Help out AROS in any way you can. You don't have to be a programmer to help.

Comparing AROS with Amiga, Linux, or MorphOS is like comparing a 5 year old kid life experience with a 30 year old one. It is just not a fair comparison.

Saying that AROS will never be better than AOS, linux and MorphOS is like telling a 5 year old kid he/she will never be anything in life and he/she will be just failure.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, AROS fans don't deserve to be subject of such abuse. So don't waste your time with people who just don't want to change their mind. It's their choice.

If you like AROS and you think you see future in it and you would like to help/join the AROS community then visit the sites I mentioned above. I will assure you that you will receive a better welcome than you will receive it anywhere else.

Vince

terminills 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 19:42:37
#74 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Amigamia

Actually I learned about AROS from a.org originally I would have never heard about it had I not been on an "AMIGA" site... now that being said I do wish there would be a new Amiga some day. Hopefully Acer takes thier names back.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Amigamia 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 19:49:14
#75 ]

@terminills

That's fine. It doesn't matter where you hear about AROS. Those sites are not the only sources of information but they both have forums where you can communicate with other AROS fans. It would be cool if AROS fans wouldn't be bashed and treated like losers on forums from other Amiga related web sites. I just think it isn't fare and that instead of wasting their time fighting on here they can move on to greener pastures.

Hammer 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 20:00:02
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Dreamcast270mhz

Quote:

Dreamcast270mhz wrote:
In response to the comments made about PPC being slow, do you really need that much speed? The G5 anyways executes instructions on par with today's modern CPUs.

It doesn't have same O.O.O advances e.g besides instructions pre-fetch, Core 2 includes pre-fetch hardware algorithms that move data from system memory into L2 cache in advance of execution. Also, X86 has instruction compression.

Quote:

X86 is going to fail in about a decade, once this era of computer ignorance wears off (Talking about the general population) and it shows the poor quality of x86. The x86 has already reached a wall of about 4ghz stock. Show me an x86 stock clocked at 4.2 ghz and I rest my case.

X86 is heading towards “many-core”. With AMD's case, a fusion with 480 SP DX11 class GpGPU.

Quote:

ALL of my PPC machines are over 5 years old, but they run 6 trillion times as reliably as any x86 box I have. Once windows fails, intel will be next and AMD will move to the POWER or ARM architecture. AROS is focused on x86, a terrible platform :

Xbox 360's RROD say Hi. Intel, AMD and VIA will not move to POWER .e.g. Intel and AMD will add 256bit wide SIMD Intel AVX in thier next X86 CPU.

ReactOS will ensure Windows way will live on i.e. attracts Wintel programmers.

Quote:

Assembly code is a fricking nightmare
Poor quality due to mass production
Is designed to have WINNT built on it, which soaks up all the extra power it may have

Where's PowerPC 970 based laptop? Can it beat my Intel Core 2 P8700 @2.53Ghz and 25 watts TDP.

Quote:

PS: my 1.5 ghz G4 powerbook gets better benchmarks than the AMD Sempron Acer my brother has.

Name those benchmarks. Is it time for barefeat's benchmarks again?

A value end CPU vs full feature CPU? Try a proper K10 based AthlonII/Turion II or Core 2/Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. Apple PowerBook should compared to something Sony Vaio (with full featured CPU) not some low-end ACER+Sempron based laptop.

In general, my Sony Vaio VGN-FW45GJ laptop will crush your 1.5 Ghz G4 Powerbook.

As an end product, my Sony Vaio’s Intel Core 2 Duo P8700+ (AMD) ATI Radeon HD 4650 (320 SPs) plays multi-platform games better than PS3 and Xbox 360.

PS I do have access to Acer Aspire 3000 i.e. K8 Sempron 1.6Ghz (Steping E). At that era, I have AMD (K8) Turion MT-34 @1.8Ghz and (AMD) ATI Radeon X700 based MSI laptop.

Last edited by Hammer on 12-Feb-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 12-Feb-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 12-Feb-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Manu 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 20:04:37
#77 ]

@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@Manu

Quote:
and hopes to bring Gutenprint/cups too AROS.

Maybe he can re-use the corresponding soon-to-be-written AnubisOS code...

Well we can ask him how he did it when it's ready.
It's nice Aros soon is able to do printing.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 20:09:44
# ]

@Dreamcast270mhz

Quote:
Is designed to have WINNT built on it, which soaks up all the extra power it may have

You've blown my mind with this technical speak.

Chris

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 20:11:50
# ]

@Hammer

Quote:

Where's PowerPC 970 based laptop? Can it beat my Intel Core 2 P8700 @2.53Ghz and 25 watts TDP.

Attach a bathroom extractor fan to keep the CPU cool and it might!

Chris

Report this post  
Hammer 
Posted on 12-Feb-2010 20:20:31
#80 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:

clebin wrote:
@Hammer

Quote:

Attach a bathroom extractor fan to keep the CPU cool and it might!

Chris

You might also add bathroom extractor fan on IBM's CPC925/CPC945 chipset i.e. on par with nForce 4 chipset.

I remember the power curve on PowerPC 970MP @2.5Ghz was heading towards 100 watts. IBM wasn’t able near flat line the power curve as they raised the clockspeed.

Last edited by Hammer on 12-Feb-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 12-Feb-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle