Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

clint

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  1 min ago
 RickSkid:  11 mins ago
 bhabbott:  16 mins ago
 BigD:  19 mins ago
 Diane:  22 mins ago
 VooDoo:  25 mins ago
 A1200:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  41 mins ago
 retrofaza:  42 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  New Commodore Invictus from Commodore USA
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
persia 
Re: New Commodore Invictus from Commodore USA
Posted on 28-May-2010 13:29:24
#21 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Why wait for the disappointment, buy it now on Amazon and be disappointed right away!!!!

Buy on Amazon!

Profile     Report this post  
BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 28-May-2010 13:48:47
#22 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Have they properly secured the licensing rights to the Commodore name yet?

I've been in contact with Commodore's owner Barry Altman. He just got back from China and is jet-lagged.
Over the last month or so we've been discussing AROS as a standard boot option.
I shot him an e-mail just before and I am surprised I already got a reply.

I can confirm that the Invictus WILL HAVE wireless HDMI. VERY COOL!!

@persia
The specs are actually higher than the ASUS eee PC, which apparently has difficulty even running Xp.

He says the Commodore trademark deal is a mere couple of weeks away. Only got to decide on various options. Not a matter of IF but WHEN now.

I have been given permission to quote this part of his e-mail.
Quote:

Things are progressing at a rapid rate, and the Commodore line will launch shortly, with all the new products, including the Atom/Nvidea based INVICTUS, and many more surprises to follow.

Over the last couple of weeks he has shared with me the immense amount of work that goes into getting all this stuff done. Its much more than what you think. There's also a lot more going on that I can't divulge. The best is yet to come.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 28-May-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 28-May-2010 at 01:52 PM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:19:26
#23 ]

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Why wait for the disappointment, buy it now on Amazon and be disappointed right away!!!!

Buy on Amazon!

Link points to ASUS PC.
The Invictus doesn't come with the ASUS PC internals.
It is higher specced.
It features the Nvidia ION chipset which I believe the ASUS eee keyboard doesn't have.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:21:44
#24 ]
Team Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Buy on Amazon!

Why not try to constructively express why you think these machines are a bad idea?

Amiga 1200

Troels 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:30:56
#25 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
Quote:
Errr... how is this not innovative?

Because it's just a rip-off from the ASUS counterpart. Nothing new exept from new possibly worse inside components.
Innovative was the design when it was first shown, although I haven't seen any really clever uses from it yet (nothing that a laptop couldn't do).
Quote:
It's got a touch screen IN THE KEYBOARD!!!
So does the older ASUS design, this IS just a rip-off, probably by some Chinese firm that makes a living copying western products.
What does it do with this touch screen IN THE KEYBOARD? Has it got any special "Commodore" software that utilises this screen??
Quote:
It may even have WIRELESS HDMI output. (Gotta confirm that one) EDIT:Confirmed. It does.
Quite cool, don't know if that becomes standard soon?

Sorry but I fail to see what this "Commodore" company has to offer unless they create their own innovative stuff. I can't be bothered to buy a PC simply because it might come with a Commodore sticker.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 28-May-2010 15:14:21
#26 ]

@Troels

Quote:
Sorry but I fail to see what this "Commodore" company has to offer unless they create their own innovative stuff

Yeah, I'm sure starting up and doing that kind or R&D is a breeze.
Yeah, lets spend a couple years and tens of millions catching up to now. The pace of technology these days is such that a product can only remain competitive for the fleeting moment it comes out. How many times does the wheel need to be re-invented anyway? Re-branding cuts time to market and delivers competitive products right now. The Commodore brand is a brand like any other. We all purchase brand products and pay a premium to do so. I think the Commodore brand has a lot of life in her yet and I wish her well.

Did you expect a new Commodore company to come up with a console that can compete with multi-billion dollar companies like Sony and MS? Commodore couldn't even do that with their 2 console efforts.
Did you expect a new Commodore company to come up with revolutionary graphics technology that can compete with multi-billion dollar companies like ATI and nVidia?
AGA was outpaced quite quickly by commodity technology.

What you are seeing is surely what the Commodore of old would have done anyway. Computers are a commodity. Why would you begrudge someone for wanting something a little different, even if it is just a brand to you. The Commodore brand is evocative, and will do well when marketed at more main-stream audience than the people on this forum. There is a world outside of the Amigasphere ya know. I bring it here, because I believe that SOME people are interested, because the Commodore brand, like it or loathe, is a feature of a common past that we all share. I wish them well.
Now evoking Yeats.
Quote:

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams beneath your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 28-May-2010 15:19:29
#27 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Just curious, if they don't secure the Commodore name, then what?

Amiga 1200

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 28-May-2010 15:25:54
#28 ]

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Just curious, if they don't secure the Commodore name, then what?

There's always a plan B.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 28-May-2010 15:37:48
#29 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Amigo Inc?

Amiga 1200

Arko 
Posted on 28-May-2010 15:52:08
#30 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Buy on Amazon!

Why not try to constructively express why you think these machines are a bad idea?

The "buy on amazone" said it all ... it is available. this ist 100% better than not available.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

ruben 
Posted on 28-May-2010 16:05:08
#31 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Did you expect a new Commodore company to come up with a console that can compete with multi-billion dollar companies like Sony and MS?

Not necessarily, but I would expect something that would make them worth of using the Commodore name. Exactly what is this company bringing to the table? If all they're doing is placing a sticker in an existing product, I'm sorry, but I don't see much value in that.
I see this whole thing as a marketing gimmick at best. With questionable legality even.

Look at the Natami or the OpenPandora. They're no Sony or MS. Those guys doing it on their free time on the garage or whatever and they come up with awesome stuff.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 28-May-2010 16:11:17
#32 ]
Team Member

@Arko

Persia was expressing sarcastically that its a bad idea of a machine no matter where you buy it.

Amiga 1200

Flashlab 
Posted on 28-May-2010 16:44:15
#33 ]

I feel this new C= wannabe company isn't worthy of the name Commodore (yet). Buying cheap of the shelf "innovative" hardware, rebrand them and try to sell it for premium prices is lame IMHO.

So, no, I'm not impressed so far.

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Temporarily offline...

ne_one 
Posted on 28-May-2010 16:56:54
#34 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Over the last couple of weeks he has shared with me the immense amount of work that goes into getting all this stuff done. Its much more than what you think. There's also a lot more going on that I can't divulge. The best is yet to come.

Any chance that the Amiga was mentioned in any of these discussions?

ne_one 
Posted on 28-May-2010 17:15:11
#35 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

Any chance that the Amiga was mentioned in any of these discussions?

jas_mc 
Posted on 28-May-2010 17:21:22
#36 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Re: rebranding, I think the reason people are disappointed here is because the product was already on sale under a different name. In fact, it looks like you can still customise and buy a Cybernet ZPC from the manufacturers at http://www.cybernetman.com/.

So all he seems to be doing is selling you a product that's already available but telling you it's called something else. If Cybernet had gone bust and he'd bought their old stock or something to stop the product vanishing, and then said, okay, this is mine now, I'm going to brand it and market it however I want, then that might be fair enough... but I don't think that's the case at all. Cybernet still have a web presence offering this thing for sale under its original name. It's like me sticking a boing ball over the apple on an iPhone and telling you it's the brand new Amiga smartphone, when loads of people already have and know the same product as something else

Don't get me wrong, I really genuinely want to like this. In fact, I've been trying to find empty PC-in-keyboard cases myself, with a view to doing a retro project. If I had to be critical, this looks a bit too laptoppy for my liking (i.e. flat keys and touchpad), but it's definitely a product that excited me when I saw it. But... if you can already buy it as Cybernet ZPC, then I would feel like I was just kidding myself buying it from someone else, just so he could tell me it was a brand new Commodore and give me some stickers to plaster all over it.

Also, am I write in thinking you cold-called this guy (via e-mail... a "cold e-mail"?) about AROS, and now he's telling you about stuff that he says are secret business plans that you can't divulge? No offence, but if I've read that right, I'd take it with a big pinch of salt. Why would he do that with genuinely sensitive business information?

Do keep posting tho', I'm interested to hear how your experience of this pans out. Just trying to explain why people are being cynical about it

EDIT: Oh yeah... strictly speaking, INVICTUS means "unconquered" or "undefeated".

Last edited by jas_mc on 28-May-2010 at 05:22 PM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 28-May-2010 17:43:01
#37 ]

@jas_mc

Try and buy a CybernetPC. Tell me what your experience is.
I believe that answers your question.

Quote:
Why would he do that with genuinely sensitive business information?

I dunno... we've built up a rapport. I like his enthusiasm and he likes mine.
I am genuinely enthusiastic. As to secrecy, I wouldn't even have divulged the Invictus if I didn't already see mention on the website.

I'm not on Commodore's payroll, but I find myself in an interesting position to influence some aspects of Commodore's product with my advice.
So instead of wasting your time telling me about things I cannot possibly change let me know of any other ideas you may have to enhance Commodore products.
I hear you. You don't like rebranded keyboards. I can't do anything about that other then provide a relay.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 28-May-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 28-May-2010 at 05:55 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 28-May-2010 17:46:14
#38 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Huh?

Their website says that the current lead time for customized Zero-Footprint-PC™ Model GX31 (ZPC-GX31) machines is 5~7 business days.

Amiga 1200

wawa 
Posted on 28-May-2010 17:55:26
#39 ]
Elite Member

looks more like zx spectrum+ or amstrad clone. lol.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 28-May-2010 18:04:09
#40 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Their website says that the current lead time for customized Zero-Footprint-PC™ Model GX31 (ZPC-GX31) machines is 5~7 business days.

Commodore haven't officially launched yet. They're still sorting out their processes to deliver more efficiently, from the factory to the consumer. Also, what about international orders? Do Cybernet even do international orders? There's no "buy" and "checkout" button worth a damn on their website. You need to ask for a quote. How is that consumer friendly? It isn't. They deal with businesses. Different market.
Edit: You are unlikely to see a regular joe with a CybernetPC because Cybernet sells predominantly to businesses.
Commodore is selling to a consumer market of course. People who used Commodore64s in their youth, are in the market for a PC, and are attracted to the nostalgia and novelty aspects of it. You guys seem to think Commodore has to be positioned to take over the world. It's a specific niche, that will hopefully be enough to grow from.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 28-May-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle