Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 112 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  27 secs ago
 Gunnar:  7 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  19 mins ago
 MickJT:  38 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mark76 
Re: The New Commodore C500 and Commodore PC64
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 8:19:54
#141 ]

@Manu

Could you get the X1000 board in the AFC?

Or is it the wrong form factor?

What about a SAMFLEX?

Profile     Report this post  
Arko 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 13:24:21
#142 ]

@Manu

Quote:

How soon we forget.

Walker
Pios
A/box
MCC
BoXeR
Phase5 PowerUp G4
AmiJoe
Shark
Vixxen
Merlancia products
iwin-amiga products

added
Troika Amy05
Dragon Coldfire board
DCE A5000/A6000

Yeah, how soon do we forget. How can you say all of those were scams ?

Most of them where no scams only Phase5 PowerUp G4 or Amiga Inc. Coupons where related with pre order payments.

If I look carefully to someone like Troika, I really believe they want to develop a PPC AmigaNG device, they tried to find customers, investors and if they had everything together they would ask an hardware developer and start a production ... but what remains from all those big plans ? No hardware, destroyed hopes and another big disappointment.

That's the reason why i doesn't like vapor ware marketing, if you want sell something, make an announcement when it is ready, if someone wants to buy something, don't wait for things that will need more than three month.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Boot_WB 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 13:37:06
#143 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Sounds interesting, especially if you manage to bring the remaining major players together successfully. I look forward to watching Commodore USA's progress.

I admire your handling of the (sometimes less-than-polite) skeptics, and hope that this develops into something solid which will bring their opinions around. I'm also skeptical of anything until it actually appears, but have no reason to suspect a well-established community-member such as yourself of anything underhanded.

Congratulations on your new role with Commodore USA.

Unfortunately the site appears to be down at the moment (constantly 'awaiting data' from www.commodoreusa.net/testhome.html), so am unable to look at anything more in-depth.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 14-Aug-2010 at 01:38 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 14:27:56
#144 ]

@Manu

Quote:
My God aren't people happy to shout Scam.

I'm not too surprised. With C= USA entering into the picture, it upsets the conceived Amiga business environment. With that type of ramifications, it might threaten their hopes and dreams on what horses they have been placing their bets on.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 14:47:11
#145 ]
Cult Member

@Boot_WB

Loose the last closing bracket and it should work. CommodoreUSA.net

A3K 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 17:37:34
#146 ]

@Manu

Dave Haynie "worked" for Merlancia.

The P5 and Amiga situations were not the only ones that involved money. Mick Tinker had been a respected name in the community - not just some dude on a message board, yet Antigravity ripped a lot of people off.

Call it what you will - scam, sham, hoax...it is what it is. Nobody has addressed the list of reasons I say it is fake.

The emperor has no clothes and I refuse to ignore the man behind the curtain. Been there - done that - never got the tee-shirt.

Manu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 18:00:17
#147 ]

@A3K

It still doesn't cost me a penny, even if a new Commodore popped up each week telling u s they got plans for us.

amigang 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 18:23:36
#148 ]
Elite Member

@A3K

i kind of have to agree with A3K, although I hope where both proven wrong.

PS: I'm now selling Aros Inside laptops!

Manu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 18:26:22
#149 ]

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@Manu

Quote:

I'm not too surprised. With C= USA entering into the picture, it upsets the conceived Amiga business environment. With that type of ramifications, it might threaten their hopes and dreams on what horses they have been placing their bets on.

I just hope people wouldn't be that narrow minded. It's a free world and anyone of us had the same opportuinty to pick up the Commodore name if CommodoreUSA could. And what they do with it is their business, and no one forces us to buy cupons anyway so I don't get what the fuzz is all about.

Manu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 18:31:00
#150 ]

@amigang

But Commodore is actually now trying to pursue a retro market where they could try to sell a custom made case. So if you sell a few of your Acers and make a custom case when your company affords it I would not hold that against you for enternity that you actually rebranded Acers in the beginning of your companys career. So to speak if you know what I mean.

Manu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 18:36:20
#151 ]

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@Manu

Quote:

I just hope people wouldn't be that narrow minded. It's a free world and anyone of us had the same opportuinty to pick up the Commodore name if CommodoreUSA could. And what they do with it is their business, and no one forces us to buy cupons anyway so I don't get what the fuzz is all about.

Hondo 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 19:38:30
#152 ]

@damocles

Quote:

Yeah right, could also be that you're just a lame troll trying to spread FUD towards "the conceived Amiga Business environment" - and I think we all know which particular flavour your talking about.

amigang 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 20:13:22
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Quote:
But Commodore is actually now trying to pursue a retro market where they could try to sell a custom made case. So if you sell a few of your Acers and make a custom case when your company affords it I would not hold that against you for enternity that you actually rebranded Acers in the beginning of your companys career. So to speak if you know what I mean.

Yeah sorry I'm not selling Acers, I kind of was demonstrating how easy it is to re-brand something. This just my own netbook that I thought look good with a few amiga stickers on it that I printed myself, turned out better than I thought. I got nothing ageist Commodore or in fact any company trying to help or make something for the retro market or something that gets the name back out there, but like A3K says I do have problems with companies giving us false hopes, I really hope I am proven wrong because I will be very interested in the Amiga Fantasy case if it turns out its real and people actually have it in there hands it just well a few things dont add up (website, company details etc). its now up to them to prove me wrong and laugh in my face. I wont post again on the subject until they prove me wrong.

PPS: A few months ago I did try and redo this case in Google Sketchup, didn't quite work out but your welcome to it.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=4daa8d27a660895142ce30c291f8ca44&ct=mdsa

There is a question that I liked to raise however, how close do you plan to get to the fantasy case, 1. floppy drive, not really needed any more, 2. custom Cd/DVD drive case/slot, not impossible but would raise the cost quite a bit, 3. keyboard layout, I doubt you could use a Amiga layout as if this is to be a mulitiable OS system your going to need the F11 & F12 keys and more, plus again up the cost.

Last edited by amigang on 14-Aug-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 14-Aug-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 14-Aug-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 20:24:39
#154 ]
Cult Member

This should not be about re-branding hardware, should it? I mean, Dell, HP, Apple... they all BUY their technical hardware from people like Foxconn, ECS, Asutek... For the basic machines I think they order just the off-the-shelf OEM offerings from Foxconn (or some similar Taiwanese party) and maybe for the high-end versions they ask for some customizing. What really differs is the design of the cases which probably is funded by the 'brand' PC manufacturers.

From this point of view, Commodore USA, once it delivers its products as shown on the site, really isn't much different from Dell, HP and Apple. If Commodore would not have went bust, they probably would be something similar to Dell, HP and Apple and not be designing and producing their own hardware.

So instead of calling this all a scam and such, why not have some patience and see what happens. Commodore USA just bought themselves a little time as I managed to get the media-pc up to speed again with a small, snappy, third-party MP3 player...

Hammer 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 21:00:40
#155 ]
Elite Member

@Amiga_3k

Quote:

Amiga_3k wrote:
This should not be about re-branding hardware, should it? I mean, Dell, HP, Apple... they all BUY their technical hardware from people like Foxconn, ECS, Asutek... For the basic machines I think they order just the off-the-shelf OEM offerings from Foxconn (or some similar Taiwanese party) and maybe for the high-end versions they ask for some customizing. What really differs is the design of the cases which probably is funded by the 'brand' PC manufacturers.

From this point of view, Commodore USA, once it delivers its products as shown on the site, really isn't much different from Dell, HP and Apple. If Commodore would not have went bust, they probably would be something similar to Dell, HP and Apple and not be designing and producing their own hardware.

So instead of calling this all a scam and such, why not have some patience and see what happens. Commodore USA just bought themselves a little time as I managed to get the media-pc up to speed again with a small, snappy, third-party MP3 player...

Ranked list of laptop ODMs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers#ODM_Laptop_Units_sold_and_Market_Shares

Compal
Quanta
Wistron (until 2000, spun off from ACER Inc)
Inventec
Pegatron (until 2007, spun off from ASUS)
Foxconn
Elitegroup
Clevo

Argosy 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 21:02:48
#156 ]

@amigang

Quote:
There is a question that I liked to raise however, how close do you plan to get to the fantasy case, 1. floppy drive, not really needed any more

It's probably used for legacy amiga software(Catweasel)

We'll go to that forbidden land.

Hammer 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 21:09:46
#157 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Mark76

Quote:
I've no doubt, the original Commodore would have made had they lasted beyond 1994.

That depends which Commodore you are talking about. The Commodore that made the C64 or the Amiga?

For the C64 sure, since the 6502 was like an x86. But works like a PPC.

Quote:
They might even have gone straight from 68K to x86 without ever passing through PPC in the first place.

On the Amiga? No, I don't think so. No 68k applications would have worked. The whole OS would have had to be recoded. And the Amiga was no PC.

It would have been some other RISC CPU like a HP RISC or PA RISC. Whatever it was called. Or an Alpha. Something big endian. Little endian woukld not get in the door.

Even now it's still too hard to run 68K on x86. AROS still can't do it. Not fully at least. Imagine trying to do this back then.

Both Alpha and PA-RISC are dead.

The problem was that most 68K based PC platform vendors went bust.
The common issue was Motorola.

Last edited by Hammer on 14-Aug-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 14-Aug-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 14-Aug-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 21:57:46
#158 ]
Cult Member

@Hammer

Thanks for proofing my story . There's an interesting link in that article as well, it's about who produces gfx cards, mice, keyboards, motherboards etc. Manufacturers of PC hardware.

It doesn't mention, for instance, Dell as a manufacturer of motherboards. Which brings me to the off-topic question: Are there still people going to libraries to obtain information or are there people still having a 30+ encyclopedia in their cupboards?

Chuckt 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 0:46:07
#159 ]

@BigBentheAussie

It is a PC. The form factor of the C-64 was a drag and that is why the C-128D came in a PC box form. The Amiga 2000 was a box form and having slots made peripherals cheaper.

The reason why the C-64 form was a drag was because I still had to connect joysticks, a disk drive, a tape drive, a power supply, a modem and a tv connection. The form offered zero convenience.

A regular PC is upgradable. I fail to see how a form factor like a laptop or a C-64 is upgradable for that matter. The components are smaller, subject to heat and won't last longer than a desktop.

No one cared about the LED on the computer or the cheesy rainbow logo. It was what was inside that I cared about.

We have a PC. It takes more than fifteen minutes to boot because Windows is bloatware and subject to anyone who wants to write a virus.

I can run VICE on any PC and I would rather run it on a laptop.

I don't desire a Commodore PC. The PC is a cause of my computer problems and frustration.

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@persia

Quote:
Wh would I buy a product from the New Commodore rather than ASUS or ACER or Cybernet or ...?

I don't know about you, but when I walk into a shop selling computers I rarely even consider the brand. I look at the design, but I know underneath it's pretty much all the same technology underneath. I have absolutely no brand loyalty.

The Commodore brand does elicit an emotional response for people who grew up with it.
The same can be said for Apple, and as such people have traditionally been willing to pay a premium for their aesthetically pleasing and well designed products.
We intend to take a similar approach and draw on all the powers of our retro status, at least initially, to gain a foot-hold from which can step forward with more modern and unique products, that the original Commodore would surely have developed if they'd never collapsed financially.
We will be different to what is currently out there and hopefully become a player in the industry.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 1:04:17
#160 ]

@Chuckt

One of the motivations for going with the PC64 was because it has sufficient height to house the components we wanted to use.

The PC64 will house a mini-itx form factor board which you will be able to upgrade if you wish.
The PC64 will likely have a slot inside for an additional graphics card or whatever you like.

We'll be selling netbooks and possibly a laptop in future.

If you have a PC that boots in 15 minutes then I would suggest you upgrade to a Commodore.
Here's a video showing the boot up of Ubuntu, Windows and AROS within the course of around 3 minutes on a Commodore Phoenix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsmiuEYUQY

I might add, that the specs on the Phoenix will likely be changing soon.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 15-Aug-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 15-Aug-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle