Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 pixie:  39 mins ago
 Rob:  53 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 30 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 cncparts:  6 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Blog update....
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
Xmas87 
Re: An abundance of AmigaOS
Posted on 13-Oct-2013 21:47:39
#621 ]

Seems to me that there is a bit of a vendetta going on against AmigaOS4 by some non AmigaOS4 users.
Why do people (for example, Wawa) do that? I mean I don't own an ST/Spectrum/Genesis or SNES etc, consequently I dont waste my time on associated fora spreading hate and bile.
Is it a blind hatred or just a desire to be noticed like a petulant child?

Also I see very little MorphOS/Aros bashing by AmigaOS4 users. Clearly AmigaOS4 users have a greater degree of common sense and good manners.

Profile     Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 13-Oct-2013 22:02:05
#622 ]
AROS Core Developer

@broadblues

Quote:
non genuine AROS

He runs nightlies so it's definitely genuine AROS lol :P

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

tlosm 
Posted on 13-Oct-2013 22:26:44
#623 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

because there are user that usually do their hobby without break 00 to other people,
and there are user that just because they have time (usually much spare time) like trolling the people who are only sharing their experiences and their passions...
Since i was registered here (not much time) i found 4 or 5 people like this and the more strange thing is that this people:
-are not AmigaOs users
-never had an Ng machine
- speak bad and look like they know better the Ng machine compared to people who have and they dont have
-speak bad about AmigaOs 4,1 and they never used it

another thing about this people: they are really smatterer are spin doctors and usually make you become crazy with their theory

Conclusion?
we say in italy:
it: vivi e lascia vivere , oppure morirai prima di quello che dovresti vivere
eng: live and let live, or die sooner than you should live

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

vox 
Posted on 13-Oct-2013 22:44:47
#624 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Quote:
I made my own ISO to boot with RadeonHD :)

Good people of AmigaKit have left me a recovery.iso on Workbench,
but official CD is official CD.

Quote:
The professionally re-mastered CD will be supplied in a printed boxed set along with copies of the AmigaONE X1000 and AmigaOS 4.1 “Quick Start” guides

Shame only beta testers got box and manuals.

If OS 4.2 goes as download too, there will be no boxed edition of AmigaOS for X1000.

It might sound like a bitchin in time of crisis and state of affairs as it is,
but is also a bit of disappointment to save on such useful things, not only details.

vox 
Posted on 13-Oct-2013 22:47:58
#625 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
just that i dont see any technical reason an os4 user needs to patch his system over and over and piece for piece, which was always criticized in case of boing bags and third party patches on genuine amiga, instead of just copying the whole content of the new version of the system over their sys partition.

I prefer making bootable CD out of my own sorted AmigaOS or keeping basic (OS 4.1.6 recovery ISO) and my own current OS 4.1.6+ copy on DH1: and performing live wipeout if needed - formating DH0: and copying files over. AmigaOS must be one of few OS`s allowing that

PR 
Posted on 13-Oct-2013 23:14:55
#626 ]

@ssolie

Well I just keep on waiting for the browser and printer and the DeluxePaint etc experience had as a kid. I Know that I'm a pain in the but, but was the first ones to keep the motors rolling. The OS is as good as the software is. (Said by some wise guy).

Until then Windowsing... With Dopus offcourse. Integrate Magellan with OS4 and some drivers with HP and it'll be just as fun but with more speed. I think EA has too much cash so they could "gift" this all so often mentioned DPV and others. I just can't understand why IB cannot be made with the new kit or even publish for us who actually bought it 20 years ago.

Some cool Super Cars III etc. and off we go;) That's why I'm waiting.

Or If I just download the WB and do what? Well I can see if the clock is on time or maybe use the calculator if I find it.. Common, Youve heard everyones point ages ago. No Bad but a "bit" of a waiting has been done over here.

My A500,A1200´060,PIV, etc can do so much more for now. Offcourse the speed is good with OS4 but this is 2014 almost without a browser like Chrome or Writing Program just makes me take another cold beer and , just wait;)

broadblues 
Posted on 13-Oct-2013 23:33:41
#627 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@PR

If you want retro paint apps then PPaint 7 works fine. I prefer SketchBlock though (2.4 just uploaded)

sundown 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 2:18:07
#628 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

We did?, I got screwed then, the only box & manual I got was with the first 4.1 release for the A1's.

All the existing docs for the x1000 are on your CD, if you bothered to look, print them out.

nubechecorre 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 8:06:49
#629 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Thanks for the update!, just a question.. I checked the documentation but I wasn't able to find out how to display the palette at the program's startup like in the previous version. I am talking about the window palette at the bottom of the main window (sketch window)..

Thanks! :)

Bitplane

samo79 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 8:21:06
#630 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
just that i dont see any technical reason an os4 user needs to patch his system over and over and piece for piece

What you call as "patches" in reality they never are, they are new updated version of the same components, libraries, programs and so on.
So please stop it to call them as a patch/hacks because they are not

Quote:
which was always criticized in case of boing bags

Using AmiUpdate you don't need to wait ages for new updates while it was before, that's why this method was choosen and it was an excellent idea if you ask me

The only problem is that actually you need to install several updates prior to the update 6 before starting the new update (AmiUpdate) mechanism .. that means that from the Update 1 to the 6 you need to install manually 5 updates and then and only then you can start using AmiUpdate for all the others

In that case the OS4 team may create a single ISO with all the 6 big updates and then let the users to continue to install their updates with the integrate mechanism --> AmiUpdate

Quote:
there are several complete system compiles for different platforms that are built automatically every night in aros repository. something like that shouldnt be a problem to be done for os4 users as soon as its ready for (somewhat) stable release.

It's just a different method to do the same things, if you give ma an ISO with AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6, then i can update my system in less than 1 minute ..

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

samo79 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 8:27:38
#631 ]
Elite Member

@nubechecorre

Same here, since 2.4 i can't found anymore the good old palette window !

wawa 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 10:25:44
#632 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

Quote:
What you call as "patches" in reality they never are, they are new updated version of the same components, libraries, programs and so on.
So please stop it to call them as a patch/hacks because they are not

most certainly i have not called them "hacks" nor even "patches", while i wrote, that the user needs to repeatedly patch his system i order to achive the last stable version, which is correct, isnt it?

Quote:
Using AmiUpdate you don't need to wait ages for new updates while it was before, that's why this method was choosen and it was an excellent idea if you ask me

The only problem is that actually you need to install several updates prior to the update 6 before starting the new update (AmiUpdate) mechanism .. that means that from the Update 1 to the 6 you need to install manually 5 updates and then and only then you can start using AmiUpdate for all the others

In that case the OS4 team may create a single ISO with all the 6 big updates and then let the users to continue to install their updates with the integrate mechanism --> AmiUpdate

isnt it what i said? releasing full update 6 or assumably 7 system iso would provide again reliable reference for the users especially necessary in case of bug reports. as i said it is done on aros like that. since i imagine development process of os4 cannot be as different from usual pocedere as on aros, and that particular developers have their own sources they work on till they consider their work ready to commit to the main source tree, where the system is regularly built as a whole to be tested by the appointed testers. in this case the system gets anyway updated, built and tested as a whole and freezing and releasing a stable development stage shouldnt be a problem, let alone additional work.

of course there is another possibility, namely that the maintainer responsible for releasing the updates has not the full access to the main source repository and the development happens distributed in every developer local environment. therefore the binaries have then to be submitted/collected individually, by hand, and this of course means additional work and further necessity of testing against the previous stable release. this would also explain why "the left hand does not know what the right does" in particular, that the individual developers do not know, at what stage of development the other parts of the system currently are.

Last edited by wawa on 14-Oct-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Yo 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 10:32:32
#633 ]
Team Member

@thread

OK, folks, please, everyone has an opinion. Other's opinions may NOT equal your own. If you don't use a particular flavour of OS, and therefore have very little experience in how it works, could you simply refrain from commenting?

To make it official, that is a direct request from a Moderator, next person to ignore my request will receive a time-out.

Everyone, please use respect in your dealings with others. And I really SHOULD NOT *need* to stress this.

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

wawa 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 10:44:53
#634 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

vendetta.. hate and bile.. arent you reading a little too much into it?

i have apparently some perspective without being emotionally dependant on the subject. im saying what active users are anyway going to say some day, just im telling it a bit earlier, and therefore get a beating. usually everyone else is starting to ask questions when it is already safe to ask, and also late.

as example i asked years before, why do the core developers need to pickup the huge brower porting task additionally to their regular and already huge responsibility for the system when there were a well progressing other browser projects at this time which are apparently still more usable today. now the developers have admitted to be exhauseted, not able to update or maintain their port and instead of continous arranged development some ad hoc actions are taken to somehow save the situation.

yeah, that was hate on my part;)

wawa 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 10:47:54
#635 ]
Elite Member

@Yo

are you talking to me? well, in this case i was cross posting, im going to stand back at request. at least i think im still being respectful here.

cha05e90 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 11:12:11
#636 ]

@vox

Quote:

Huh? I'm no beta tester and I got a box, CD and printed manuals for all my systems including the X1000.

cha05e90 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 11:16:20
#637 ]

@wawa

Quote:
an os4 user needs to patch his system over and over and piece for piece, which was always criticized in case of boing bags

I really liked the BoingBags and I'm glad that (except AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1, which was a full clean install and therefore a PITA) I can do incremental updates without the need of a clean install. Perfect! I hope it stays this way.

broadblues 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 11:54:59
#638 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@samo79 and @numblechore

Buit off topic for this thread but if you want the palette window back, then uncomment line 39 to 45 in Rexx/startup.rexx

/* 'LOAD FILE "SKETCHPATH:Sketches/palette_mixer.skprj"'

if RC = 0 THEN DO
PRJID = RESULT
'RESIZEPROJECTWINDOW PRJID ' prjid ' WINDOWLEFT 249 WINDOWTOP 799 WINDOWWIDTH 1031 WINDOWHEIGHT 225'
END
*/

thats is remove the /* at the beging and the */ at the end.

Based on feedback recieved I didn't think any one was using this window. I certainly hadn't found it as useful as I thought.

True palettes will come in a future version possible, 2.5

samo79 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 12:14:47
#639 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Doh ..
The good thing is that atleast we have some more free space in desktop now, but maybe it would have been better to just hide it by default --> but make it availible optionally via menu letting users to activate/deactivate it as they like

I'm not into deep drawing as you know but let's say i'm used such palette quite often, so a bit sad to see it completely removed even if you are planning a best solution for later

Aniway please don't forget the iconify for the next miggy and thanks a lot for this magic software

vox 
Posted on 14-Oct-2013 16:41:47
#640 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:
We did?, I got screwed then, the only box & manual I got was with the first 4.1 release for the A1's.

OS 4.0/4.1 Classic and SAM editions are boxed too.

Quote:
All the existing docs for the x1000 are on your CD, if you bothered to look, print them out.

Will do, but I expected it for 100GBP license ... same goes for all X1000 docs.

Strangely, 52e is boxed edition
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1082

and when you buy it with X1000 its 123 eur for HDD install.

Not much logic there.

Maybe I am complaining on stupidy, but kind of expected bit more in that area.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle