Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  38 secs ago
 OlafS25:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  9 mins ago
 Rob:  23 mins ago
 blmara:  48 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 42 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
opi 
Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 14:48:39
#81 ]
Team Member

@Cool_amigaN

great dry wit.

Profile     Report this post  
DAX 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 14:48:57
#82 ]
Elite Member

Of course we need what you (all) have mentioned.
Hyperion has the chance of delivering such infrastructures together with the X1000 (with some released soon after) thus starting something good.
I don't think they have the time to slip any more release dates (ie:X1000 must be in dealers warehouses and people homes this year) along with many OS improvements.
If they will not it will be a shame, that's agreeable. If they do, than great, that's what many want to see.

number6 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 14:53:55
#83 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:
Hyperion and A-Eon should be treading a line between pleasing existing customers and winning new ones. Instead all they care about is the hardcore

I think you're reading too much user opinion here and applying that to how the aforementioned companies look at things. All is not how it seems, and I understand the frustration that brings to the forums. Sadly, you'll just have to wait to see how this all plays out. Maybe then you can reach for a more pleasant perspective.

Amigo1 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 15:27:54
#84 ]

jeez, are we in doomsday mood again or what?

What's the matter with this x86 crap again? If you people want next generation Amigas you have to wait and see what Hyperion has in mind and support it's efforts. If you don't, stay with emulation and classic.

x86 is cheaper and faster and gives you more bang for the buck. So what?
Go buy dog food, it's cheaper and has more vitamins and nutrients than any other human-meant-stuff you'll find in a supermarket!

vidarh 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 15:59:31
#85 ]
Cult Member

@clebin

Quote:
The puzzle will never be complete when Hyperion and A-Eon only care about its most fanatical support. You're dead without new customers.

You're even more dead with no customers. And that would be the result if they tried to create something even less in the Amiga tradition than what they're currently working towards. They need revenue first, and so they aim for the hardcore users first. If the X1000 does reasonably well with the hardcore users, then *maybe* there's a basis for trying to create a product with wider appeal.

cheesegrate 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 16:03:10
#86 ]

@Amigo1

I guess now with the threat of cusa amiga machines, morphos macs, aros boxes and natami can be regarded as next generation amigas , don't you think?

edited for clarity

Last edited by cheesegrate on 15-Apr-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Last edited by cheesegrate on 15-Apr-2011 at 04:15 PM.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

DAX 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 16:08:33
#87 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate
Quote:
cusa morphos machines

Missed the news, what about them?

TrevorDick 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 16:56:36
#88 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

I was not going to reply to your post but just could not help myself.

Just thought I would make a couple of comments.

The first public demo of the A1-X1000 was in June 2010 at the VCF held at Bletchly Park, UK. The second was at Essen 2010 Amiga show held in Germany in July and the third at AmiWest 2010 in October. All demos were in the last year. The technology is about as up-to-date as it gets in the current "next gen" Amiga market.

TrevorD

Anonymous 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 17:33:22
# ]

@number6

Quote:
I think you're reading too much user opinion here and applying that to how the aforementioned companies look at things.

I don't see any products pitched at less hardcore users. The Sam 460 is a more accessible product than X1000 but I seriously wonder about their focus when it still doesn't have the drivers it needs.

@vidarh

Quote:
You're even more dead with no customers. And that would be the result if they tried to create something even less in the Amiga tradition than what they're currently working towards.

I'm not suggesting breaking with the Amiga tradition. Even discarding the x86/ARM arguments, building the most expensive desktop you can while Sam 460 customers haven't sound drivers? Either they don't care enough about entry-level hardware like the Sam or they don't have the resources to port a sound driver. The second would be seriously worrying, but I suspect it's the first. That's not so much worrying as disappointing.

Chris

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 17:36:18
# ]

@TrevorDick

Sorry Trevor, I feel bad that you're reading my whinging.

I know you're a good guy doing good work for the Amiga... I mean no offense when I say that I don't feel X1000 should take focus away from entry-level products that bring new people in. If it means that users go without crucial drivers anyway. It's a difference of opinion, but like I say, no offense.

Chris

Report this post  
-Sam- 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 17:58:00
#91 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
The X1000 is "progress" and "the only game in town? Well, it's 7 year old technology and is using a CPU that's been discontinued. That's not what anyone will call progressive

I didn't say it was the best hardware available - I said it was the best out of what is available ie - using standard components to build a marketable system.

You want to name another system that is more 'the only game in town' than the X1000 and SAM systems?

Deafening silence - there aren't any other production systems!

You could argue that only includes the SAM as the X1000 isn't available yet.

Quote:
But I agree that the SAM440/460 is the only game in town IF you're an OS4 fan

From a rebuilding a market point of view it is the only option. The Natami will fill a niche but if you were trying to rebuild a market you wouldn't do it solely on NatAmi - you would need the X1000/SAM approach of using standard hardware. OS 3.9 is way too long in the tooth.

Besides the X1000 is not a closed door to MOS and AROS. I am a fan of all Amiga OS flavours.

Quote:
The market for Amigas has long since ceased to be. It's now just a hobbyist scene and will remain so.

Finally something we agree on. Yes - I believe it will but if you were trying to rebuild a market then your best approach - 'the only game in town' - would still be theSAM/X1000 approach. The NatAmi - although very cool - is not that option.

-Sam- 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:04:26
#92 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

clebin is right. The Amiga WAS the mainstream. Those people that buy PCs and iPads - that's me!

It's also thousands of millions of others and it is the fact the Amiga captured this that made it so successful.

We are a million miles from that success now but I love all of the innovations that still turn up - MOS/AROS/OS4 NatAmi/X1000/SAM

- a continuation of the spark of innovation that was Amiga.

Let's enjoy them.

Amigo1 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:07:09
#93 ]

@cheesegrate

Quote:

cheesegrate wrote:
@Amigo1

I guess now with the threat of cusa amiga machines, morphos macs, aros boxes and natami can be regarded as next generation amigas , don't you think?

edited for clarity

My opinion differs. I can accept MorphOS and AROS to be close to AmigaOS 4 which to me is the successor because it is official and derived from the original source code.

CUSA is not related at all from my POV. If I had the money to buy Ferrari (first which came to mind) and then stick the sticker to a Lada it would not make it a Ferrari to me. On the other hand if someones sticks the Lada badge on a real ferrari, it still is a ferrari to me.

SAMs and the X1000 are ferraris to me. Even if all the world needs dragsters and big foot trucks just to drive to the mall, I don't have to follow. Sooner or later others will realize too.

Last edited by Amigo1 on 15-Apr-2011 at 06:07 PM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:09:36
#94 ]

@-Sam-

Quote:
It's also thousands of millions of others

the whole United federation of planets used to buy Amigas?

Caveman 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:16:15
#95 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Nope,wrong! United Federation of Galaxies

wawa 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:27:54
#96 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Quote:

if you were trying to rebuild a market then your best approach - 'the only game in town' - would still be theSAM/X1000 approach

even though x1k may be a cool concept as such, the reality has proven that sam440/460 (to which system it is closest in comarison) did not help to rebuild a market. in fact they only adressed and been accepted by a fraction of original scene. you cannot rebuild a market trying to be even more elite. you can only hope to sustain the interest of already addicted. this both applies as well to x1k as to natami, minimig or fpga arcade.

DAX 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:41:38
#97 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam- @Clebin
Guys, on the mainstream subject, let's be clear: the type of guy I mentioned in a previous post (the non-hardcore that only buy what's cool at the moment) it's unsatisfiable. For that kind of crowd there will be no CUSA/no anything unless it come close to the software support Apple gets. Some will even think Apple doesn'tget as much love as Windows7 (think of ultra advanced 3D games).
All I wanted to say is that, since Amiga used to be "what's cool" in 1989, people from that era and that now only cares for iPad2 and look forward to PS4, are not to be considered as potential customers no matter if we create a linux box camoufaged as Amiga and sell it for peanuts.
You need billions upon billions to attract that kind of guy, pay for the best software/games to come and pay for national television ads.

Fransexy 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:44:12
#98 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@-Sam-

Quote:

if you were trying to rebuild a market then your best approach - 'the only game in town' - would still be theSAM/X1000 approach

even though x1k may be a cool concept as such, the reality has proven that sam440/460 (to which system it is closest in comarison) did not help to rebuild a market. in fact they only adressed and been accepted by a fraction of original scene. you cannot rebuild a market trying to be even more elite. you can only hope to sustain the interest of already addicted. this both applies as well to x1k as to natami, minimig or fpga arcade.

Is not that exactly what Steve Jobs did when he returned to Apple and it (Apple) was on the verge of bankruptcy? And now look where is Apple So your argument falls under its own weight

hotrod 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 18:57:22
#99 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

I must say that I hate the word "fanboys". If I use AOS 4 I'm an AOS 4 fanboy, if I use a Wii I'm a Wii fanboy, if I play my Jackson guitarr I'm a Jackson fanboy.

What if I also use MacOS X and Windows?

What if I also play games on anything that I own and can play on?

What if I like to try playing on any guitarr I can get my hands on?

I don't think I'm special in that regard, I think most people fit in this description.

I also think that the AOS 4 "fanboys" are interested in the Natami, some of them. There are Amiga backgrounds in all camps and to me if I can play the old games on new hardware that is more than my a4k, offcourse I am interested.

Fanboy should be used on those that clearly can't use anything other than one brand and defend it no matter what but please use it wisely instead of insulting people. This isn't only aimed at you but all MOS users and trolls that call everyone using AOS 4 for fanboys. It is tiresome and really, really stupid IMO becaus it isn't true most of the times.

Last edited by hotrod on 15-Apr-2011 at 06:59 PM.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 19:00:00
#100 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

No offence taken. In many respects I agree with you. However, as an original big box Classic Amiga user the AmigaOne X1000 is a computer I want to use.

TrevorD

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle