Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RickSkid:  1 min ago
 bhabbott:  7 mins ago
 BigD:  9 mins ago
 Diane:  12 mins ago
 VooDoo:  16 mins ago
 A1200:  20 mins ago
 pixie:  32 mins ago
 retrofaza:  33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmigaOS 4.1 shown during Primevère 2012
Register To Post

PosterThread
K-L 
AmigaOS 4.1 shown during Primevère 2012
Posted on 26-Feb-2012 22:28:52
#1 ]

Each year, a very big event is held at Eurexpo, near Lyon, in France : Primevere

"Primevere is a prestigious event which seeks to sensitize the general public about the fragile condition of earth's ecology and develop sustainable strategies to preserve its longevity and well being. Organized over three days at the French cities of Lyon and Chassieu, this show has enjoyed immense success in the past, hosting exhibitors and visitors in increasing numbers each year. Over 470 exhibitors showcase their products and services at the fair, attracting a substantial number of experts in each of its editions.

Primevere also additionally organizes 120 meetings where some of the leading figures from the world of ecology converge and share their ideas and predictions for the future. Other seminars and lectures also serve as attractive features for participants of the show.

The chief highlights of Primevere are :
+120 meetings.
+Lecture programs.
+Workshops.

Primevere welcomes animal rights activists, environmentalists, key decision makers from various industries especially those with a greater capacity to pollute, policy makers, members of international organizations, heads of national environment and forestry ministries, representatives of victims of environmental disasters triggered by human errors, scientists, researchers, heads of research institutes, retailers of organic farm produce, wholesalers of environmentally safe products and many more as visitors."

This year again, the French association Triple A attended Primevere to show that alternatives do exist regarding computers.

We came with an A600 equipped with an ACA630, an A603 and a CF2IDE. So we could speak about sustainable development since the A600 was made in 1992 and is still working.

We also had a Sam440ep clocked at 733 Mhz and a Sam460 at 1,15 Ghz on our booth. We wanted to demonstrate that there is a real alternative to Windows, Mac OS X or Linux and that this alternative is still being developped.

Many visitors stopped and couldn't believe that such slow computers could run an OS that fast. We also met many ex Amigans which showed a real interest about either the possibilty to upgrade an old Amiga or see and test a new Amiga. Our flyers ran away very quick.

We used solar panels to run the Sam460 for a while(not enough sun in the hall) and this also amazed visitors.

During these past 3 days, we enjoyed showing our systems outside of our own community. Attendees were really pleased by our explanations and by what they saw.

Do not hesitate to do the same with your won club in your respective countries. Yes, it's some work before and after the show but this is really worthwile.

A big thank you to Relec and Acube Systems for their financial help in this adventure.

French members of the association who participated : Elwood, M Belett, Corto, Dr Bio, Kickstart, Sego, Rajah and myself (K-L).

Here are the pictures : http://www.amiga-ng.org/resources/Primevere2012/

Enjoy

Profile     Report this post  
realize 
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 shown during Primevère 2012
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 2:53:18
#2 ]

@K-L

Awesome. this is the kind of exposure the platform needs. Good work.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 4:24:27
#3 ]
Elite Member

Any videos from this cool event.

Belxjander 
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 5:00:44
#4 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

What options were used for the solar powered sam460?

I'd like to check this out some more as I may need to consider this type of setup

vrana 
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 5:48:40
#5 ]

@K-L

While I don't own a Sam460, I would definately be interested in what was done to get it going off solar power.

corto 
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 8:59:41
#6 ]

It was a great week-end. We would have some things to improve for next times but people stopped by the booth and were curious about the Amiga (hardware and system) they knew or not at all.

Of course, it was nice to spend time with the TripleA team friends !

gerograph 
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 19:29:47
#7 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

Great, I love your effort. This is already the third or fourth time you guys from TripleA are doing this, right ?

I am wondering wether there is a similar exhibition here in germany, where one can join. I wouldn't mind to bring my SAM and open a booth. But I donnot know any similar event (it doesn't even have to focus on environment).

However, this brings me to the important part:
It seems, most marketing is done by users, they donnot even mind to show of their hardware and "praise" OS 4.x (or any other Amiganoid system). Wouldn't it be wise to set up some sort of "presentation guide", listing the unique/"must show" features for OS 4.x and it's hardware ? This would make it easier to communicate the great features of our OS4.x+Hardware. Any ideas, suggestions. Help/Ideas from Hyperion, ACube, A-Eon are probably essential here ! - New thread ?

regards Gero

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

elwood 
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 20:42:03
#8 ]
Elite Member

@gerograph

Yes it was the fourth time we went to this event.

Look for events all around you. There must be one. It could be about retro computing, computers, software, whatever (well almost )

About the panels:

They were used with a DC-to-AC inverter and a battery. This allowed us to have a simple plug to connect the Sam460 to (this is why I show the plug on one photo).
Of course it would have been better to connect the DC cables to the motherboard directly but we have no skills in electricity :-/
If someone can do it, just show us how to do.

Thanks to Kickstart for providing the panels and battery, and to Sypher for the A600++.

Also it's important to say that the Composite3Ddemo by Hans and Hollywood by Andreas are very useful to show what we have on AmigaOS.
This is truely a team effort here. Thanks to all involved.

Last edited by elwood on 27-Feb-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Last edited by elwood on 27-Feb-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Amiga Translator Organisation

vox 
Posted on 27-Feb-2012 22:39:54
#9 ]
Elite Member

@K-L

Quote:
We used solar panels to run the Sam460 for a while(not enough sun in the hall) and this also amazed visitors.

Interesting concept

Thank you very much for the effort.

Merci Beacoup

realize 
Posted on 28-Feb-2012 5:12:47
#10 ]

@corto

Can you guys give us some more details on the solar setup? Pics? What type of panels, etc etc

Thanks

K-L 
Posted on 28-Feb-2012 7:07:15
#11 ]

@realize

These solar panels were some used ones that wer used on highway. Refe to Elwood's complete post for the setup

@Gerograph

Yes, actually, we are now used to this kind of event and we know what to show and asy to the visitors to get them interested.

We also participate to the JDLL (Journée Du Logiciel Libre or Free Software Days) in Lyon too to show how free software are ported to our system.

@Thread

Indeed, participating to this kind of event is some work. For the 1st issue, we had to share the booth since we were invited. Then we grew up and are now officially exhibitors and we'll be there the years to come.

Yes, i'ts more difficult to attend such an event than whining on forums that there aren't many downloads for a software and try to guess how many Amigans there is left.

Yes, at the end of the event, we are exhausted since it goes from 9AM to 10PM the 1st day, 9AM to 8PM the second day and 9PM to 7PM the third day.

We made the choice to take this way and make our contribution to our system. And I think that if many other clubs and/or people could take the opportunity to do so (and share with others what they've done), there would be less whining or trolling on the forums and more feedback from the outside world.

Ask yourself the question : even if you're not a programmer : what did you to four your beloved system last year? And what will you do this year ?

eliyahu 
Posted on 28-Feb-2012 13:17:22
#12 ]

@K-L

Quote:
Yes, i'ts more difficult to attend such an event than whining on forums that there aren't many downloads for a software and try to guess how many Amigans there is left.

aw, snap!

Quote:
We made the choice to take this way and make our contribution to our system. And I think that if many other clubs and/or people could take the opportunity to do so (and share with others what they've done), there would be less whining or trolling on the forums and more feedback from the outside world.

i cannot stress how much i agree with these sentiments. had amigans been present at any of the several FOSS-related shows i attend annually, or indeed attempted any marketing with the broader technology enthusiast community, i would have discovered this platform much earlier. if it wasn't for danwood's youtube video or OSnews.com's review of OS4, i never would have done.

@thread

despite the never-ending whinging on this site the amiga has plenty to offer the computing hobbyist, and the potential is much greater than people realize. people are very impressed with demos i do on a personal level but are usually turned off when they come here or amiga.org and have difficulty justifying the expense when -- until very recently anyway -- there wasn't even a website describing the platform or the software available for it.

guys like K-L and elwood, et al, are superstars. our community needs folks like this rather than people who do nothing but nit-pick. build, build, build the community through action. action does not equal complaining on a forum.

-- eliyahu

elwood 
Posted on 29-Feb-2012 9:36:51
#13 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Hehehe thanks.
But everyone can do it. Just MOVE ! It is possible and it's even great to be here and there and see all those people can be interested by AmigaOS. Maybe they won't purchase a machine but at least they know that AmigaOS exists.

The more we speak about it the more we stay alive.

Epsilon 
Posted on 1-Mar-2012 3:23:07
#14 ]

@eliyahu

+1

Very true. Brilliant job guys, glad to see people are still passionate for Amiga and not afraid to do the work to bring attention to the platform.

Any ex-Amigans and general public we can get interested again or even just have awareness of current Amiga hardware and AmigaOS4 is a great start!

People come to my place, see my Amiga 4000D and A4000T and ask me if they are "new" Amigas...

Looking forward to my X1000 so I can show a real new Amiga running AmigaOS4.1!

Well done again guys on your work at that event!

Catcha,
Epsilon

elwood 
Posted on 2-Mar-2012 12:41:23
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

More details :
Solar panels: Photowatt PW500, documentation
Battery: Cyclon, 6V - 8 Ah
DC-AC inverter: Xantrex 150 W, 12 VDC->230 VAC

elwood 
Posted on 4-Mar-2012 17:07:01
#16 ]
Elite Member

@thread

As some people wanted to see it. Here is a quick video to show that it works for real
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Srg29eIt8

Tomppeli 
Posted on 4-Mar-2012 17:11:24
#17 ]

@K-L

These kind of efforts are always great ! Great work ! It's interesting to read these kinds of show reports.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle