Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  15 mins ago
 zipper:  17 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 23:22:40
#181 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Having a open codebase for all platforms with a common infrastructure including driver support with "AmigaOS" additions like own GUI and other components. MOS used parts of Aros code and is still "commercial" so both would be possible.

What do you think of the idea?

And what ideas do you have regarding "collaboration"?

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 26-Oct-2012 23:59:36
#182 ]
Elite Member

so now im back from the parties pretty early today. ready for some fight.nsee what saturday brings.

Franko 
Posted on 27-Oct-2012 15:20:01
#183 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:

Trixie wrote:
@Franko

You get Pilsner in Scotland? Mmmmmm... me wants and opens the fridge... yes, it's there! Here's to a lovely Friday evening!

If it's got the merest trace of alcohol in it you'll find it on sale in Scotland...

Never touch the stuff meself (alcohol), prefer a nice cup of tea or coffee and me meds keep a permanent Friday night party going on in my head 24/7...

ssolie 
Posted on 27-Oct-2012 20:49:52
#184 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25
Quote:
A direct question... Do you have any ideas or suggestions how this collaboration could happen?

Standards and specifications for one. Jason approached me about standardizing SVG icons for example. I also approached Neil regarding standardizing SANA2 for wireless.

Quote:
What do you think of my idea to create the common code-base that is open and shared between all OSs?

That already exists. It is called the Internet.

The only problem I can see is copyright ownership. If everybody released such code to the public domain or used a BSD-style license there wouldn't be as many issues with sharing such code. When conditions are attached to code you end up with multi-page licenses only lawyers can fully comprehend. I personally think such complex licenses are quite meaningless until tested in a court of law anyway. Instead, keep it simple and I think you will see more collaboration not less.

ssolie 
Posted on 27-Oct-2012 20:57:03
#185 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk
Quote:
So has Hyperion had a change of heart and is Aros now a friend with a group of developers to work with. After all as I and many others have mentioned, we are stronger together than apart. I know there are issues to resolve but this community has the intellect to fix these problems.

Don't clone the AmigaOS interface on AROS and approach a 3rd party without at least asking stakeholders if that is a good idea first. AROS itself is not the problem here.

ssolie 
Posted on 27-Oct-2012 21:15:40
#186 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho
1) Again, there is nothing I can do about any "news" unless the stakeholders give me permission to release it. I do know it is much, much worse knowing more details than you are allowed to divulge and being totally powerless as potential customers get fed up and spend their money elsewhere or leave the platform entirely. In such cases, ignorance really is bliss.

2) Regarding Gallium3D all I can say is that money talks. A-EON wanted a Warp3D driver and they are paying for one. We can talk about architecture all we want but talk is cheap. Besides, not every single RadeonHD card will be supported by Gallium3D and not every single RadeonHD card will be supported by the new Warp3D driver. Where overlap does exist we can use Warp3D as a wrapper for Gallium3D. I really don't see it as a big problem.

ssolie 
Posted on 27-Oct-2012 21:17:19
#187 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDog
Quote:
Once upon a time there was a company (or two) who stated they wont announce anything...

All policies are subject to change without notice. That's all there is to it.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Oct-2012 21:34:30
#188 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:

Don't clone the AmigaOS interface on AROS and approach a 3rd party without at least asking stakeholders if that is a good idea first. AROS itself is not the problem here.

aros is based on amiga concepts same as os4 or mos. so, you suggest that every time aros gets ported to another platform they have to politely ask hyperion for allowance?

other than that hardly any "loud news". good thing to standarize an icon format, suits all, but its nothing groundbreaking inna big picture. time to move on i guess..

Last edited by wawa on 27-Oct-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 27-Oct-2012 21:46:20
#189 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

It should be obvious that the "loud news" refered to was Lyle Hazlewood''s midi presentation.

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@ssolie

[quote]

other than that hardly any "loud news". good thing to standarize an icon format, suits all, but its nothing groundbreaking inna big picture. time to move on i guess..

Last edited by Spectre660 on 27-Oct-2012 at 09:47 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 0:33:34
#190 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

When legal issues are the main point that are a problem for cooperation then it could be a starting point to discuss about. What do you think to create a account on aros-exec and start a direct dialog? I do not know what the MOS people think but at least the Aros camp is always open. Many Aros supporters also use AmigaOS so I do not believe there will be any hostility.

Panthro 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 1:47:59
#191 ]

@ssolie

----1st THANKS----
Really appreciate your time taken here to answer Qu. here although it seems that every question spawns smaller detailed Qu. a bit like playing asteroids with trolls thrown in for good measure.

-----MY QUESTION's-------
how do you or the devs. feel about hardware paths chosen from a coding point of view,
is it relatively easy or just harder with all the Amiga & compatible systems out there?

Ezrec 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 3:49:58
#192 ]

@Panthro

Quote:
----MY QUESTION's-------
how do you or the devs. feel about hardware paths chosen from a coding point of view,
is it relatively easy or just harder with all the Amiga & compatible systems out there?

From my perspective, from a coding point of view, unless you are an assembly coder all architectures are roughly equal.

They all have their quirks, but if your base of code is mostly C/C++/Python/Perl/etc sources (like AROS), it really doesn't matter in the end. The compiler takes care of it for you.

However, I do find that every time I port my code to a new CPU architecture, I find hidden bugs in the code exposed by the new CPU's quirks, and fixing those bugs actually improves the code for *all* architectures.

So, I'm a big fan of AROS.

Kitty doesn't play favorites

clusteruk 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 10:47:00
#193 ]

@ssolie

Quote:

Wow and you say I need to earn trust.

I built something with permission from artists using none of AmigaOs icons and then when my concept for promoting AmigaOS and Aros to huge raspberry pi community was blown out by Hyperion I shelved it. Only one person outside Hyperion knew this, and you wonder why I am sick of Hyperion and requested removal from beta test group.

For the record I never showed this interface to raspberry pi team, I showed a modified version of pascal's version. Fixing a couple of small issues to make it look good with correct screen resolution.

Get your facts straight.

Last edited by clusteruk on 28-Oct-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 28-Oct-2012 at 10:48 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 11:15:54
#194 ]

@clusteruk

wait, what does Hyperion have to do with AROS on rPi? Did they really tried to stop you from releasing AROS for rPi version and on what grounds?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 11:40:05
#195 ]

Can it be that moo bunny was right for once? :D

http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbthread.pl/amiga/expand/228818

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 11:55:27
#196 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

I am a little suprised... What was the base to stop you? The icons?

wawa 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 12:37:54
#197 ]
Elite Member

well, as steve resigned on his plan to go to this year amiwest it has left room for speculations. espacially he was a vocal supporter of the x1k project and personally invested in it buying one and entering betatester team. i think he has proven an exemplary integrity not spilling the beans about it all around, as others would do in his place. id rather it wasnt the truth and id certainly behave differently.

@clusteruk

i dont know the details, but observing your supportive attitude towards the whole scene since long you have my full solidarity.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 12:53:36
#198 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:

clusteruk wrote:
@ssolie
[...]
I built something with permission from artists using none of AmigaOs icons and then when my concept for promoting AmigaOS and Aros to huge raspberry pi community was blown out by Hyperion I shelved it. Only one person outside Hyperion knew this, and you wonder why I am sick of Hyperion and requested removal from beta test group.
[...]

Whoa! Care to elaborate on this? What happened and then and what prevents you (still) to introduce AROS to RPi?

Heinz 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 13:19:24
#199 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:

Wow ! That really puts SSolies "wide open for collaboration" into another light !

But I am not really surprised, because we have seen this kind of behaviour before when MorphOS was about to be released. Hyperion did no legal action then and I am sure they wont do it now, because like with MorphOS, there is nothing illegal on re-implementing a compatible API of a closed source OS.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Oct-2012 13:26:45
#200 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Its bad idea to be a beta tester, if your into sharing whats being worked on.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle