Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  18 mins ago
 Hypex:  24 mins ago
 Hammer:  25 mins ago
 Seiya:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 45 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 49 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 43 mins ago
 mbrantley:  5 hrs 45 mins ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Where is the TIMBERWOLF Update?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
realize 
Where is the TIMBERWOLF Update?
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 3:30:17
#1 ]

Ok so the bounty for "Timberwolf" has been collected. Which I cannot believe btw as its completely unusable and imo the money should NOT have been released. The version before last was kindof usable but latest version is absolute crap. How is it that all this money went to this project and nobody sqwaks about the status of it????

Profile     Report this post  
samo79 
Re: Where is the TIMBERWOLF Update?
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 3:45:16
#2 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Recently opened:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6050&forum=37

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Hondo 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 7:05:50
#3 ]

@realize

Quote:
How is it that all this money went to this project and nobody sqwaks about the status of it????

But realize that's why we've got you

Hondo 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 9:24:33
#4 ]

@Hondo

But I have to say that I also think it's wrong to release all the money for a program which is not usable yet.

And I think you're absolutely right that the least they can do now is give a status report.

The silence for many months come out quite arrogant towards all the people donating to this program.

eder 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 9:34:34
#5 ]

@Hondo

+1

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 11:33:06
#6 ]
Cult Member

@realize

I don't get the whole silence policy from Hyperion, Team MorphOS or the Friedens?????

I mean what is the big secret? I look at events like Amiwest etc and we treat it like some big keynote speech but really the Amiga has been playing catch up with tech and software since the 90's. So anything announced by any party in Amigaland is only announcing standard features expected by today's computing standards.

People don't expect promises, just tell us what you are working towards or up to, so we can support it with encouragement or constructive criticism and money even.

Would it kill any of them to say we have done this n this and that, but we are waiting for this, which will happen then?

I find it amusing that after all these years the Amiga platform no matter the flavour still does not have a comprehensive internet experience.

I mean the hopes of all Amigans to have at least a decent web browser rest on two individuals divided by a platform war..... On one side we have Fab and on the other we have H Frieden, and all this is occurring in the year 2013.

Internet was pathetic on the Amiga in the 90's and is still pathetic now. It seems on AmigaOS to have an acceptable experience with timberwolf you need an X1000 however my friend who owns one of these can't even get it to load, Timberwolf was a very sloooooowwwww experience on my Peg2 and is unusable on a Sam440 flex.

I get that it was reported that hardware acceleration was dependent on some other features to be added, but how is that going?

Odyssey, Fab's port of OWB is very usable on all available systems for the MorphOS platform, but still requires tweaks to make modern browsing enjoyable, and still has that feeling of being a work around for the Amiga system to be modern.

I guess a lot of people hoped Timberwolf would improve things but without hardware acceleration being available, it was more of the same experience but very beta in performance.

sigh

two more weeks

Spectre660 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 12:56:31
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

This is something that should come with AmigaOS 4.2 .
So getting 4.2 out has got to be the priority.
Timberwolf performance is not bad on my Sam440ep-flex 800mhz with a Radeon HD6670.
The problem for me is a kind of Autoscroll situation that is a pain

Quote:
I get that it was reported that hardware acceleration was dependent on some other features to be added, but how is that going?

Birbo 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 12:59:58
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Fairdinkem

+1

It's something I never understood...

But there are good examples of communication: For example Epsilons X1000 Blog or the one from Trevor. I know there is one from Hyperion but it's not really a blog - more bla, bla without really communicating.

But it's their decision - and even if I think, that it is a very wrong solution - if they don't want to communicate, it's their business.

At least, all we know is: Two more weeks...

geit 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 13:20:27
#9 ]

@Fairdinkem

Quote:
I don't get the whole silence policy from Hyperion, Team MorphOS or the Friedens?????

Huh? Can you explain what you mean regarding the MorphOS Team?

Quote:
two more weeks

Ah, you mean we do not deliver a proper release date, which we cannot keep, so we need to deliver a new release date and may delay release even more? Then you would be first in line talking about broken promisses.

A new MorphOS version gets released when it is done. But to make you happy: MorphOS 3.3 will be released exactly two Month after the 3.2 release and it will only contain bugfixes.

Quote:
Odyssey, Fab's port of OWB is very usable on all available systems for the MorphOS platform, but still requires tweaks to make modern browsing enjoyable, and still has that feeling of being a work around for the Amiga system to be modern.

Again, huh? What is missing? What tweaks?

Geit

Last edited by geit on 20-Aug-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Birbo 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 13:25:03
#10 ]
Cult Member

@geit

I can not answer for Fairdinkem, but one big Question to MorphOS is:

Will MorphOS remain a PPC OS or will it be ported to x86/x64?

geit 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 13:34:10
#11 ]

@Birbo

Well, I am in a good mood today and I - as a member of the MorphOS Team - will tell you all you want to know and all I know about the future platform swap of MorphOS.

"I have absolutly no information on that topic."

Feel free to spread the word. :)

Geit

Birbo 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 13:43:16
#12 ]
Cult Member

@geit

So, you see yourself: There it is, what "silence" means...

It's ok, not to tell. But in this way, a lot of users will loose the interest in MorphOS.

If we knew, that there is a developement going on, we could read a blog or a status report and be somehow part of it (even without contributing anything).

Not communicationg is just not a solution. The silence will only drop the interest...

Spectre660 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 13:44:03
#13 ]
Elite Member

@geit

Any plans for newer Radeon model card support like X1300 and higher ?

geit 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 13:51:05
#14 ]

@Spectre660

I said about that topic. :)

But with some logic thinking I guess you can answer the question by yourself.

Geit

Boot_WB 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 15:17:07
#15 ]

@geit

Quote:

geit wrote:

Ah, you mean we do not deliver a proper release date, which we cannot keep, so we need to deliver a new release date and may delay release even more? Then you would be first in line talking about broken promisses.

[...]

But to make you happy: MorphOS 3.3 will be released exactly two Month after the 3.2 release and it will only contain bugfixes.

Quote:
27.05.13 - MorphOS 3.2 - Public Release

Lies! It's been nearly 3 already

/me begins to prepare flaming torch

vox 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 15:26:27
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Quote:
So, you see yourself: There it is, what "silence" means...

I had the same impression (that MOS Team is silent) but good people
that love MorphOS has pointed out a very good plan - entire roadmap
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59765
Power Point in French, but understandable
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17zhDVyqnDt1Oxc8auncVsvyaq9Zu7_Xboi2uXyuZM4w/present#slide=id.i0

That kind of plan I would like to see from Hyperion. One you can easily follow.
Great job for MorphOS guys!

And in the end, far far away is x86 transition marker, big with big ()
as they explain, its not only the OS port, but in the beginning loosing
all 68k/PPC compatibility including current MorphOS apps.

Its a realistic, hard plan, that will result in x86 MOS but in no less then few years.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 15:30:40
#17 ]
Elite Member

@realize

According to this the bounty covers a port of FireFox 4 and no later. I've also read AFAIR that version 5 has changed so much as to make the work put into version 4 almost usless in parts.

http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=44

So, unless there is a stable port of version 4, that works perfectly to what is expected for that release and doesn't crash, the bounty isn't complete by my standards either.

vox 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 15:51:44
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

In classic style, delay has been (beside ilness) covered
by an promise of porting much much newer layout, I believe Firefox 16 or so.

Its Firefox 19
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?post_id=76673#forumpost76673

If that promise is kept, delay will be reasonable, as it would exceed the bounty requirements
by far.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 15:56:40
#19 ]

@vox

I very much doubt Timberwolf will ever be finished, ditto for LibreOffice and similar projects that are simply too big for 1 or 2 guys to do in their sparetime.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 20-Aug-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Aug-2013 15:59:42
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

Quote:
I look at events like Amiwest etc and we treat it like some big keynote speech

We should treat it like some Scala speech but at least they using Mac software then...

Quote:
Amiga has been playing catch up with tech and software since the 90's

I'd go eariler. Didn't 256 colour VGA come out in 1987? It wasn't 24-bit colour , more 18-bit like HAM8, but they had a single plane with an 8-bit pixel width making all the difference. IIRC chunky. The Amiga should have got an increased pixel width for a hybrid plannar/chunky display.

Okay we had copper lists and sprites with the blitter. Even with a 12-bit palette. But I was always disappointed when I saw how slow a CLI window was compared to a blazing fast MSDOS CLI. So I'm comparing a window interface to a hardware text mode, but either way it made the Amiga look bad.

Quote:
nternet was pathetic on the Amiga in the 90's and is still pathetic now.

Was it really that bad? When I got online the internet looked fine. We didn't have frames or CSS back then and Java for a while to contend with. IIRC the browsers were built off original code or a port of it. They were native to the Amiga in any case. We had plenty of internet apps and mailers. News readers...

Quote:
It seems on AmigaOS to have an acceptable experience with timberwolf you need an X1000 however my friend who owns one of these can't even get it to load,

I checked my X1000 some months back and found an old version. I updated it and got the newer one working. However, I still don't use it. I forget about it really. I mean there are two OWBs and NetSurf! One can only have so many browsers. It doesn't look or act like an Amiga program so that turns me off. All the other browser ports look and act like real Amiga programs. They didn't take years for a normal stable version and pretty much do the same thing we want. Perhaps we should divert resources away from FireFox if it is too damn complicated?

Quote:

As I understand it, on MOS, it has YouTube support built in as well as other features. That don't appear on OS4. So we have an incomplete port that hasn't ben updated in ages. And all those bugs and crashes have mounted up since then and are starting to annoy me! I want to know what is happening witht MUIOWB!

Last edited by Hypex on 20-Aug-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle