Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  9 mins ago
 agami:  10 mins ago
 RobertB:  30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Bruce72:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 14:36:15
#1721 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

QEMU is probably emulator of choice in this case - it emulates nearly everything.

DosBox supports 486 CPU, should be 32 bit enough.

Profile     Report this post  
resle 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 15:05:54
#1722 ]
Cult Member

@agami

no.

"DOS" is a specific operating system. None of the modern OSes are based on that.

Evolved from? Yes, some.
Derived from? Some, partially.
Based on? None.

realize 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 15:37:55
#1723 ]

@sundown

Quote:
No, you trolls keep bringing up crap you know nothing about & posting it as facts. Trolls are experts on everything they've never used, thats the problem.

Like you when you make statements about Morphos? lmao. By your very own definition you are a troll

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 15:57:02
#1724 ]
Elite Member

@realize

All trolls are welcomed in this thread.

J'Bar 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 16:03:49
#1725 ]

@pavlor

I live under a bridge (Humber) i am 6.4 feet tall,ugly and hairy plus i use AROS daily i am a real Troll not one of these wannabe :)

J,Bar

cdimauro 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 21:57:28
#1726 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
2) If you're happy with AROS on your PeeCee or AmigaOS Classic under emulation or WinUAE

I find it really childish your continues "PeeCee", "Windoze", rants. How old are you?

Aside this, it's very long time that you seems to hate using emulation. At least related to the Amigas. For just a coherency question, I supposed that you don't use Petunia, RunInUAE, FS-UAE, on AmigaOS4...
Quote:
or whatever other system you consider the real spiritual successor

Please, leave religion out of this thread: it's dangerous.
Quote:
to the Commodore Amiga then stop spouting your mouth off and go and enjoy it!!!

How much love. Jesus loves you.
Quote:
That's it. You obviously have an axe to grind and I feel I am just making matters worse by engaging with you in the forums. I haven't invested in a NG machine myself yet but I'd really like one and would prefer to live in a world where they are for sale!! Who wouldn't? AmigaOne hating trolls that is who!

BTW, AmigaOne isn't the only hardware where OS4 runs. Take a look at the supported machines, and you'll see that most of them do NOT have such label. Yes, an AmigaOne is NOT a pre-requisite for running OS4: a PC with WinUAE is perfectly entitled as well.

Last but not least, AmigaOS4 is JUST SOFTWARE, and you don't need to support AmigaOne hardware to support the former.

cdimauro 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 22:08:20
#1727 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@BSzili

Quote:
Because it's developed by a handful of volunteers in their free time as a hobby, for free?

Exactly as any other Amiga-like OS.

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Zylesea

Quote:
The development pace is way higher than OS4

Turtle vs snail?

To be fair, both OSs did great progress in last 10 years. Comparison to Atari (MiNT), Risc OS or even Haiku is strongly favorable. Sure we all want more...

On the contrary, that's quite an unfair comparison.

Hyperion got the Amiga o.s. sources (and parts of 3.5/3.9, if I recall correctly), which means that they had:
- sources;
- fully documented APIs behavior;
- a 15+ years tested software by around 5 million of users.

Whereas AROS and MorphOS:
- started from NOTHING. ZERO. NO CODE AT ALL*;
- relied only on the published documentation;
- have no access to some tricky APIs behavior;
- had no tests and a very small customer base;
- a bunch of developers.

I don't any similarity.

*whatever Ben Herman can invent and lie about it.

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 22:18:48
#1728 ]
Hyperion

@cdimauro

*whatever Ben Herman can invent and lie about it."

This statement was actually based on written statements by Dave Hayne amongst others.

Not to mention my understanding of EU copyright law but hey, why care about such legal details.

Troll on!

itix 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 22:27:54
#1729 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Troll on!

Wasnt your business recently declared bankrupt?

Last edited by itix on 20-Apr-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Last edited by itix on 20-Apr-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Last edited by itix on 20-Apr-2015 at 10:28 PM.

saimon69 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 22:42:28
#1730 ]

@cdimauro

I would drop a fight with BigD: its brain seemed stop processing new IT concepts in 1997 so is still thinking like the nineties: After AmigaOS the flood.

Last edited by saimon69 on 20-Apr-2015 at 10:43 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 22:53:55
#1731 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

to repeat those accusations is not helping either

cdimauro 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 23:00:00
#1732 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@cdimauro

*whatever Ben Herman can invent and lie about it."

This statement was actually based on written statements by Dave Hayne amongst others.

Not to mention my understanding of EU copyright law but hey, why care about such legal details.

Troll on!

So you, a lawyer, reported something without having verified it, right?

And no, it wasn't the only statement coming from you.

Trolling? That's what you makes from years...

BigD 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 23:07:34
#1733 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
I find it really childish your continues "PeeCee", "Windoze", rants. How old are you?

What can I say, I resent having to use PeeCees for work, I resent Microsoft for creating the bloated mess that was/is Windows. I resent them for waking up to the internet boom late creating Internet Explorer and then attempting to destroy Netscape and I resent the self justified veiled assertion that Hyperion exist to port a great OS like AmigaOS to a machine that you already have sitting in your household because you believe YOUR PeeCee is the one Hyperion HAVE to support or they're missing out on profit and market share! How is your £30 for you initial outlay on the OS software really helping the Amiga cause in the long run?

Not everyone owns/wants a PeeCee and a lot of us don't want AmigaOS to go the same way as BeOS. If it was ported to x86 it seems the main beneficiaries would be a group of people that would only really use it to compare features with AROS or WinUAE and would probably still use Windows 99% of the time anyway. I really don't see why you wouldn't want to use AmigaOS the way it was designed using hardware that was designed for the purpose by passionate people that need your support. It just seems like 'fast food' mentality to expect a £30 operating system to just run on the system that sits in your house or you'll bad mouth the whole enterprise on the internet!! Who says that PeeCee owners should be able to mandate a porting job of thousands of pounds and developer time for few actual feature gains? What warrants the porting outlay just so you don't have to buy new hardware? Why not support AmigaOne hardware vendors rather than PeeCeeWorld. Seems like a pretty decent thing to do if you ask me.

Quote:
Last but not least, AmigaOS4 is JUST SOFTWARE, and you don't need to support AmigaOne hardware to support the former.

I very strongly disagree. You speak like the hardware side of the Amiga market is already dead when it's not but instead needs our support. If you want JUST software then what is wrong with Amiga Forever? An actively developed commercial OS has no chance of being used as a primary OS on x86 hardware when AmigaOS needs so much software development right now. I fear people will boot into AmigaOS for a taste of an alternative but not get stuck in and create or develop. If you invest in AmigaOne hardware there is far more incentive to get stuck in and improve the platform, explore the limits of the hardware and enjoy the computer system rather than potter around with an emulator.

Last edited by BigD on 20-Apr-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Apr-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Apr-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Apr-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Apr-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 23:21:53
#1734 ]

@Hyperionmp

To descend to the language of lawyers for a moment, do you have the balls to present the supposed multiple written statements, and stand by your word?

Aside from the known statements by Dave Haynie, who at least had the integrity to stand up and present his case, do you have anything else substantial to offer, or just more innuendo?

realize 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 1:04:00
#1735 ]

@Hyperionmp

"Troll on" lmao thats all YOU ever do here. Im still awaiting the answers to the serious questions i asked you about the operating system your company maintains.

and YES you did LIE about Morphos why dont you just admit you were wrong?

realize 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 1:08:04
#1736 ]

@J'Bar

Quote:
I live under a bridge (Humber) i am 6.4 feet tall,ugly and hairy plus i use AROS daily i am a real Troll not one of these wannabe :)

Thats really funny man

ferrels 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 1:20:06
#1737 ]
Cult Member

@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
@Hyperionmp

"Troll on" lmao thats all YOU ever do here. Im still awaiting the answers to the serious questions i asked you about the operating system your company maintains.

and YES you did LIE about Morphos why dont you just admit you were wrong?

Don't hold your breath. People have been asking Hyperion the same questions you've asked for years now and we're still waiting for answers. I view it as a serious lack of maturity/professionalism on Hyperion's part or maybe it's just arrogance or possibly a combination of the preceding. Even the AROS developers who are volunteers post periodic progress reports, detail new features and answer user questions. All we ever get out of Hyperion are smoke and mirrors. It seems like the corporate attitude is, "Hey, STFU and give me your money and how dare you ask questions." And then to defer you further, they label you a troll for even asking. It's easier for them to do that than to explain the lack of progress.

Last edited by ferrels on 21-Apr-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 21-Apr-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 21-Apr-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 21-Apr-2015 at 01:22 AM.

agami 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 1:51:01
#1738 ]

@BigD

I'm not sure where you get the idea that:

Porting AmigaOS 4.x to x86 = Running on every PC rig in existence.

AmigOS 4.x = AmigaOS 3.x

Supporting limited hardware = Supporting application development

Your argument falls apart as the rest of any AmigaOne computer uses off-the-shelf cards and components like RAM and HDD/SSD. Just as we are limited by which components to use with AmigaOne computers, we can be limited in which x86 CPUs and Motherboards we can use.

But a better alternative would be to do what Apple did. A-Eon could have created their own reference hardware based around a less expensive x86 part. Especially when Apple proved the usefulness of Rosetta. They could have included Uboot and even the XMOS tech if they wanted to. The rest of Nemo/Cyrus uses industry standard buses and components.

In this case the motherboard would be under $1,000 though still more expensive than a generic intel/AMD chipset MoBo. They would have greater access to skilled individuals who are versed in working with the x86 platform. As it is possible to run Linux on the X1000 so it would be possible on the x86 alternative.

Also, laptop. The most popular personal computing hardware platform over the past five years has been the laptop/notebook.

AmigaOS 4.x has updated software and libraries that are not available on OS 3.x so it is not the same as running Amiga Forever. What you seem to deliberately ignore is that users actually do want to buy and run AmigaOS 4.x. But not everyone has the conviction of your beliefs that it is worth paying ~$1,200 (underpowered AmigaOne 500) or ~$4,200 (AmigaOne X1000) for the privilege.

Most people have moved on from focusing on hardware uniqueness. What they would like to see is new apps that run on a more modern, and responsive Amiga OS.
They want to be equal class netizens.
They want to be able to write a document and have it automatically synced with something like DropBox.
They want an email client that supports all the industry standards.
They want to connect their digital photo/video camera to their computer and easily import and manage their files.
They want to be able to accept files from other systems and be able to work with them without leaving their AmigaOS experience.
They want to communicate in real time with friends and colleagues.
And play the occasional game.

None of these need ultra unique hardware platforms. Just good applications.
And what supports the creation of good applications is a good OS to make application development/porting easier.
And what makes a good OS is that people are happy to buy hardware for it to run on.
And what makes people happy to buy hardware is a good balance of value for money.
I swear, a nine year old gets this.

Last edited by agami on 21-Apr-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Last edited by agami on 21-Apr-2015 at 01:58 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 2:54:46
#1739 ]

@lylehaze

Sounds like a Xena/\Xorro slot 32bit x86 bridgeboard would be a useful addition for creating other Xena/XMOS uses. If it were integrated as seamlessly, or even better, than the old Commodore and GoldenGate bridgeboards were for AmigaOS2.x & AmigaOS3.x, and it did not cost more than a regular x86 mobo, I'll bet that many X1000 & X5000 owners would consider buying one.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 4:58:51
#1740 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

What can I say, I resent having to use PeeCees for work,

Again, "PeeCees"? And I repeat the question, because it's something serious now: how old are you? You should be around 40s now, if you are a long aging amigan, and you should be mature enough to understand that the language that you're using doesn't reflect your age.

Aside this, look: in the real world you have to work also on things that you don't like. I don't like Linux, but using it is part of my job; not that frequently, fortunately, but I've to. That's real life, and we have to accept it. You too.
Quote:
I resent Microsoft for creating the bloated mess that was/is Windows.

That's a personal opinion which I strongly disagree, but I don't want to open another sub-discussion. Don't you like it? Fine.
Quote:
I resent them for waking up to the internet boom late creating Internet Explorer

That's what I call a fault: they loose time on entering internet.
Quote:
and then attempting to destroy Netscape

Netscape was PART of the so called "browser war", and that's mean that he equally participated adding non-standard things to the HTML standard. Here was W3C committee fault for being too slow in a greatly evolving market.

At the end Microsoft won because she put IE on every PC with Windows. She paid for this due to the anti-trust action, but it's something which I, again, strongly disagree.
Quote:
and I resent the self justified veiled assertion that Hyperion exist to port a great OS like AmigaOS to a machine that you already have sitting in your household because you believe YOUR PeeCee is the one Hyperion HAVE to support or they're missing out on profit and market share!

There's nothing to believe here, but crude facts. And the primary one is that the guilty of this situation was/is Amiga Inc., because she ordered the port of the Amiga o.s. to a platform which wasn't competitive anymore.
Quote:
How is your £30 for you initial outlay on the OS software really

I already said in some Italians forums that it was a good move, and I don't have problems to repeat it here. 30€ for an hobby o.s. is affordable.
Quote:
helping the Amiga cause in the long run?

Please, don't talk about any "Amiga" neither "cause".

First, there's no Amigas anymore, but only the o.s. resisted to the Commodore bankrupt.

Second, we are talking about hobby o.ses. No cause. Just fun. Enjoy it as is.

Third, in the post-Amiga era I've already made my choice: it's AROS.
Quote:
Not everyone owns/wants a PeeCee

Fair enough: that's your choice.
Quote:
and a lot of us don't want AmigaOS to go the same way as BeOS.

What do you mean with such example?

Apart this, how can you say that you are "a lot"? amigans forums are full of threads about people asking to port to x86 or ARM, and it's YEARS that this happens. Are they all insane? I don't think so.
Quote:
If it was ported to x86 it seems the main beneficiaries would be a group of people that would only really use it to compare features with AROS or WinUAE

That's absolutely false, as you can read on many threads.

pavlor isn't a singularity, but a good example of people asks.
Quote:
and would probably still use Windows 99% of the time anyway.

Let the people live with that blasphemy.
Quote:
I really don't see why you wouldn't want to use AmigaOS the way it was designed using hardware that was designed for the purpose by passionate people that need your support.

Maybe because AmigaOS4 runs on machines which are totally different from the Amigas which everybody (should) knows?

Maybe because the AmigaOS4-enabled machines are just PCs (not PeeCees) with a PowerPC instead of an x86?
Quote:
It just seems like 'fast food' mentality to expect a £30 operating system to just run on the system that sits in your house or you'll bad mouth the whole enterprise on the internet!! Who says that PeeCee owners should be able to mandate a porting job of thousands of pounds and developer time for few actual feature gains? What warrants the porting outlay just so you don't have to buy new hardware?

agami already answered at this (and other things).
Quote:
Why not support AmigaOne hardware vendors rather than PeeCeeWorld. Seems like a pretty decent thing to do if you ask me.

Well, why do you have to waste money for a dying platform which is also utterly expensive and underpowered?

I don't know you, but when I both my Amigas I had a very good feature/price ratio. That's something which do NOT apply anymore to the post-Amiga machines.
Quote:
Quote:

I very strongly disagree. You speak like the hardware side of the Amiga market is already dead when it's not but instead needs our support.

No, they don't need our support but the ones of an undertaker. PowerPC is a dying platform, and you to accept it. Take a look a the PowerPC vendors roadmap: you'll see nothing. There's no NEW (I repeat: NEW) micro-architectures, except for some extremely costly POWER machines which are NOT in the post-Amiga domain.
Quote:
If you want JUST software then what is wrong with Amiga Forever?

Nothing.
Quote:
An actively developed commercial OS has no chance of being used as a primary OS on x86 hardware when AmigaOS needs so much software development right now.

AmigaOS, like MorphOS and AROS, is just an hobby o.s., not a primary o.s..
Quote:
I fear people will boot into AmigaOS for a taste of an alternative but not get stuck in and create or develop.

That's unfortunately true: software is missing, for any post-Amiga platform.
Quote:
If you invest in AmigaOne hardware there is far more incentive to get stuck in and improve the platform, explore the limits of the hardware and enjoy the computer system

See above: the PowerPC is dying. Doesn't make sense to invest on it. It's better to find an alternative.
Quote:
rather than potter around with an emulator.

If the emulator gives good performances, at a reasonable prices, why not?

P.S. I've no time to fix typos, sorry.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle