Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 14 mins ago
 Swisso:  7 hrs 30 mins ago
 Matt3k:  7 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  3D photo gallery from Amiga 30th in Mountain View is online
Register To Post

PosterThread
AlexC 
3D photo gallery from Amiga 30th in Mountain View is online
Posted on 22-Feb-2016 15:56:40
#1 ]

In light of Dave Needle's untimely departure, I though I should get around to upload and publish my set of photos and videos, shot in stereoscopic 3D at the Amiga 30th event in Mountain View, CA.

You can find it here.

The photos are in MPO format, which is basically a jpeg containing two 10 megapixel images, and the videos are in 720p AVI format, containing two channels (A/B) and use the MJPG codec which can be read with ffmpeg and the avcodec libraries.

They can be viewed in 2D with any image viewer.

It's not as easy as it should be to watch 3D content on the Amiga, if you have a 3D monitor, you might be able to use Blender to display stills and videos in a format suitable for passive 3D monitors with polarized glasses, it kind of works with my LG Cineama4D, and most 3D monitors and TVs can also convert side-by-side/top-bottom images automatically, but since the output of my 3D camera is A/B not SBS, they'd need to be converted for viewing on a 3D monitor without special software on the Amiga.

The easiest way to watch them in 3D is with Windows unfortunately. A couple of free viewers, StereoPhotoMaker and StereoVideoMaker can handle most stereoscopic formats and convert or display them in the proper format for any 3D display and even with a 2D monitor by using cross-eyed or red/blue glasses.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: 3D photo gallery from Amiga 30th in Mountain View is online
Posted on 22-Feb-2016 16:01:40
#2 ]
Elite Member

@AlexC

Thanks!

Templario 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 13:13:38
#3 ]
Elite Member

@AlexC
In Amiga is more easy the 3D in anaglyph format the classic red/blue glasses.

robo-ant 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 13:44:33
#4 ]

@AlexC

Thanks for the pics!

I also have a W3. I think it would be cool if there was a datatype for MPO images that had a preferences program to select the viewing type (red/cyan, red/green, magenta/cyan (etc.) anaglyph, parallel, cross-eye, ...). It would need a parallax slider on the GUI, though.

drHirudo 
Posted on 23-Feb-2016 15:20:33
#5 ]

@AlexC

The easiest way to share Stereoscopic 3D videos today, is by uploading them to YouTube. Unfortunately since September 2015 YouTube removed the Top-Bottom format support and now they support only Side by Side (First hand information). 3D capable TVs recognize the 3D picture immediately, while on Amiga you need to resize horizontally the video twice and hide half of the picture to watch it like normal 2D video.
For the pictures, I suggest to use already available solutions that support many formats like http://phereo.com

I have the biggest Stereoscopic 3D channel on YouTube and most of the time viewers ask to watch in 2D, so I always have to tell them how to turn the 3D off. And by the way the 3D is mostly appreciated by men for some reason. Women hardly get it...

AlexC 
Posted on 25-Feb-2016 2:28:21
#6 ]

@robo-ant
Quote:
I also have a W3. I think it would be cool if there was a datatype for MPO images that had a preferences program to select the viewing type (red/cyan, red/green, magenta/cyan (etc.) anaglyph, parallel, cross-eye, ...). It would need a parallax slider on the GUI, though.

I did consider writing some program to at least display the MPOs in a format my 3D monitor can display directly, e.g. take both pictures and create an interlaced 1920x1080 bitmap. I hope tp get around to it before my monitor dies of old age

Ideally, writing a program similar to StereoPhotoMaker would be best as it allows adjusting the parallax and vertical alignment, which isn't always perfect and misalignment and exagerated parallax seem to be the main reasons a lot of people struggle with stereoscopic viewing.

A datatype wouldn't really work as it only allows direct conversion from one format to another but lacks the ability to then apply effects or edit the image AFAIK.

AlexC 
Posted on 25-Feb-2016 2:40:03
#7 ]

@drHirudo
Thanks for the reminder, I haven't visited phereo in years, I'll go see how it evolved.

I wish 3D was more popular in the mainstream, few people realize that even with 2D monitors you can see in 3D with parallel or cross-eyed side by side images.

To me it's just fascinating how the depth information gives a feeling of "being there" and also makes it a lot easier to perceive the actual shape of complex structures.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle