Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

pixie,  Tpod

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Tpod:  16 secs ago
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 Birbo:  18 mins ago
 Hammer:  26 mins ago
 zipper:  53 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 MarcioD:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 NancyNash:  2 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Hyperion release official AmigaOS WB3.1 & Kickstart 3.1 updates !!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Hyperion release official AmigaOS WB3.1 & Kickstart 3.1 updates !!!
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 17:22:48
#61 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Quote:
since they have no access to 3.5 or 3.9.

They had some source code from 3rd party developers, of course Haage/Partner work was not included in OS4.

First versions of OS4 were 68k, Hyperion could reuse several OS components...

Profile     Report this post  
PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 18:39:31
#62 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
First versions of OS4 were 68k, Hyperion could reuse several OS components...

That is what I was thinking when I entered into my wild speculation of a 3.1 FE update 2. Workbench 3.1 with 4.x features and Enhancer Software might be very nice on a Vampire system, Amiga Reloaded, an 030/040 accelerated C= Amiga, or an UAE system.

For further speculation, what would be the advantages of a 68k OS 4.x vs the existing PPC OS 4.1 Classic?

Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 14-Oct-2016 at 06:43 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 18:51:34
#63 ]
Elite Member

I find the negativity on this thread a rather saddening indictment of the state of the Amiga (community/forums) : This is an offical (as it gets) attempt to improve AmigaOS3 (albiet a small tentative one so far), and no-one is being forced buy it... yet there is loud negativity posted immediately.

If Classic Amiga "fans" want to scare away any potential further development of OS3, permanently relegating OS3 to history books of obsolete/abandoned OSes, then this seems like a good way to start.

If other (real) Classic fans don't want to see that happen, then they need to be a bit more vocal about it (and perhaps start questioning why we allow this kind of thing to go on in the first place).

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Oct-2016 at 06:58 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 18:55:57
#64 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Well, you can´t expect MorphOS and AROS/68k "supporters" to dance in joy for such news.

pavlor 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 18:57:18
#65 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Quote:
For further speculation, what would be the advantages of a 68k OS 4.x vs the existing PPC OS 4.1 Classic?

None I can imagine.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 19:06:08
#66 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor Quote:
Well, you can´t expect MorphOS and AROS/68k "supporters" to dance in joy for such news.

I know you have a smiley in there, but I assume there is some kernel of truth to what you say, otherwise it would not be "funny".

I don't see why MorphOS or AROS (or even OS4 !) users should be upset (or even feel the need to comment on something that doesn't affect them). If the Classic Amiga community is more successful, then that benefits ALL Amiga flavours (albiet indirectly), as "Amiga" in general will appear more successful & be more visible to outsiders (and ex-Amigans). On the other hand, a lost Classic user is rather UNlikely to "defect" to another Amiga flavour, so there is really no sense to fighting between camps. Most likely they will become disillusioned with Amiga in general, and simply switch to a completely different OS/platform (Ubuntu/Linux, Windows, Android, Raspberry Pi - there are no end of possibilities).

In fact fighting between camps is extremely short sighted, because we are our own worse enemy. Other (non-Amiga) computer platforms hardly need to do anything, if we are content to destroy ourself for them.

P.S. I used think that it was just OS4 & MOS users who were short-sightedly fighting (red vs blue), and that AROS users will more enlightened... However, it seems the vocal "OS3 should be open source" users are basically just AROS fans, so sadly it seems AROS is now just as bad (or possibly even worse now?) than OS4 & MOS users (who mostly have probably had enough of fighting).

Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Oct-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Oct-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 14-Oct-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Beans 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 19:18:51
#67 ]

@pavlor

I'm a MorphOS user and I don't have a problem with it.
Its not like our community is going to be actively developing 3.1.
And its nice to have someone besides Cloanto to buy it from.

Last edited by Beans on 14-Oct-2016 at 07:25 PM.

BSzili 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 19:28:02
#68 ]

@ChrisH

The most vocal "OS3 should be open source" users never miss an opportunity to point out how useless AROS is on 68k, while making clear that even if the situation improved they wouldn't use it, because it's not AmigaOS.

eliyahu 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 20:59:20
#69 ]

@ChrisH

please don't confuse AROS with one or two malcontents. and please don't confuse MOS with four or five malcontents. both platforms have tons to offer, and aren't "threatened" by this in any way. the negative reactions of the usual suspects is down to this being announced by hyperion, and in their mind, anything to do with hyperion must be evil, illegal, immoral, or, well, use your imagination. they see the word 'hyperion' and they start foaming at the mouth. don't take them seriously. i certainly don't.

anyway -- that's how i see it.

-- eliyahu

CodeSmith 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 20:59:25
#70 ]
Elite Member

While I like that Hyperion seems to be shifting their stance on 68K, I first want to see a statement from Cloanto before I get too excited. This may end up being Hyperion vs Amiga Inc all over again.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 21:13:06
#71 ]

@CodeSmith,

Actually this may end up good. Hyperion make "official" updates and Cloanto making Custom ROM's ala Cosmos.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 21:23:13
#72 ]
Elite Member

@QuikSanz

I'd love that - in fact, my post came from me wondering whether someone like Jens Schoenfeld might be inclined to resell the kickstarts in the form of ROM chips for us to install in our physical Amigas. Problem with that is that it would require Hyperion to license the ROM images to Jens, and they may not have the rights to do that if the rights owner is Cloanto - that's when Hyperion vs Amiga Inc came up in my mind and the complete load of fail that whole episode ended up being.

Last edited by CodeSmith on 14-Oct-2016 at 09:25 PM.

ne_one 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 22:03:52
#73 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
I find the negativity on this thread a rather saddening indictment of the state of the Amiga (community/forums) : This is an offical (as it gets) attempt to improve AmigaOS3 (albiet a small tentative one so far), and no-one is being forced buy it... yet there is loud negativity posted immediately.

At best the entire effort seems like a disingenuous ploy to remind people that they exist, so the response isn't surprising.

Quote:
If Classic Amiga "fans" want to scare away any potential further development of OS3, permanently relegating OS3 to history books of obsolete/abandoned OSes, then this seems like a good way to start. If other (real) Classic fans don't want to see that happen, then they need to be a bit more vocal about it (and perhaps start questioning why we allow this kind of thing to go on in the first place).

So basically the accountability rests with the community...?

Hyperion has effectively become a subcontractor for A-EON and doesn't seem to have the resources nor the inclination to do anything independently so what's the point of providing feedback - or even considering the ramifications?

Hyperion has been in this market for over 15 years and bled to preserve control but they seem to have lost interest.

ne_one 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 22:24:49
#74 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Amiga is hobby and retro, not more or less.

We hear that refrain over and over again but is the real issue lack of demand or the inability to formulate and execute a vision?

Quote:
The so called NG platforms are in todays terms not NG

Which basically tells me that the market doesn't exist because the products aren't compelling.

It's amazing to me that so much time and energy was invested fighting for control over this platform. And for what?

The problem is the people.

Uitgang 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 22:50:48
#75 ]

@All

I emailed Hyperion directly and this is the answer from steven solie.

Rob 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 23:21:27
#76 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@ChrisH

please don't confuse AROS with one or two malcontents. and please don't confuse MOS with four or five malcontents. both platforms have tons to offer, and aren't "threatened" by this in any way. the negative reactions of the usual suspects is down to this being announced by hyperion, and in their mind, anything to do with hyperion must be evil, illegal, immoral, or, well, use your imagination. they see the word 'hyperion' and they start foaming at the mouth. don't take them seriously. i certainly don't.

anyway -- that's how i see it.

-- eliyahu

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&post_id=128626&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1

Rob 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 23:50:06
#77 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@QuikSanz

I'd love that - in fact, my post came from me wondering whether someone like Jens Schoenfeld might be inclined to resell the kickstarts in the form of ROM chips for us to install in our physical Amigas. Problem with that is that it would require Hyperion to license the ROM images to Jens, and they may not have the rights to do that if the rights owner is Cloanto - that's when Hyperion vs Amiga Inc came up in my mind and the complete load of fail that whole episode ended up being.

1) Amigkit started selling Boing Ball branded 3.1 ROMs in December 2012.

Source.

2) Hyperion and Individual Computers signed a license agreement in March 2013 that allows Individual to supply 1.3 and 3.1 ROMs with accelerator cards for the A500, A1000 and A2000.

Source 1.

Source 2.

3) Cloanto Started selling 4.1FE Classic s a digital download in December 2015.

Source.

If there could be any dispute between Cloanto and Hyperion over the latest release then there would have been a dispute over 1 and 2, and 3 wouldn't have happened.

Last edited by Rob on 14-Oct-2016 at 11:51 PM.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 23:51:42
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

That's great to hear, thanks a lot!

CodeSmith 
Posted on 14-Oct-2016 23:59:31
#79 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

The one important thing that's missing from that point of view is that the amiga is a retro system. It doesn't run apps written for win32, ios or linux (and the price/MIPS is rather bad), so it's going to be a niche. No amount of vision or compelling products is going to change that. Arguing otherwise is like arguing that sailboats should be used for cross-atlantic shipping of goods. You go on a sailboat for fun, not for serious work.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 15-Oct-2016 0:31:59
#80 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

I agree. I appreciate anything Amiga that is new and keeps these systems moving forward. I am a big fan of OS 3.9 and have it customized very well on my A1200 Tower. I am happy for whatever comes along, especially since the platform is over 25 years old.

Drewlio77

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle