Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  5 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 A1200:  21 mins ago
 pavlor:  27 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  10 years later, the question "What is an Amiga?", answered.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
simplex 
Re: 10 years later, the question "What is an Amiga?", answered.
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 14:27:15
#21 ]
Cult Member

@paolone
Quote:
Quote:
"adversed" -> "opposed" I think

yes, sorry

No problem; I understood what you meant but I figured others would be left scratching their heads. It was a translation for others.

Profile     Report this post  
simplex 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 14:40:32
#22 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, and no, not everyone wants a Posix library.

call it ixemul if you will, no matter.

+1 to an updated ixemul. An entire world of high-quality open source suddenly becomes much easier to port. Turns out one is maintained at least for AmigaOS, so who knows...

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 15:49:56
#23 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

I think they do not understand what hosted means or do think because of Aeros (what is mixing Linux and Aros) Aros is Linux. Or they simply not care and search for a reason not to use Aros

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 16:49:15
#24 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
So please enlighten me once forever: what do AROS and LINUX have in common, exactly, that AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS haven't?

I don't know if this is a common thought but I will share my thoughts on the matter. Which on the surface may look like accusation by association. When I have booted AROS, be that the base system, or though icAROS, the first impression is a customised GRUB boot loader. Popular Linux distros use GRUB. So it can look like another Linux before booting in that regard.

Apart from that there is the installation where boot partition and code and must be embedded in a FAT partition. But that's more of a PC thing than Linux thing. I suppose GUID can be used now even if an RDB can't be written directly to disk.

AmigaOne machines don't have a GRUB like boot loader. Except when they are actually booting Linux. But it is obvious they have a custom setup.

BSzili 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 17:36:10
#25 ]

@Hypex

OK, so GRUB shouldn't be used because that makes AROS Linuxish, but can you explain me the "embedded FAT partition" thing? This is how my AROS VM partition table looks like, there are not FAT partitions anywhere:
https://imgur.com/a/TyVnA

kolla 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 18:53:40
#26 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

I suppose he means the EFI system partition used on newer PC hardware.

Last edited by kolla on 11-Apr-2018 at 06:54 PM.

bison 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 18:56:52
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Apart from that there is the installation where boot partition and code and must be embedded in a FAT partition.

Are you thinking of Linux on Raspberry Pi, maybe?

paolone 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 20:05:00
#28 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

I don't know if this is a common thought but I will share my thoughts on the matter. Which on the surface may look like accusation by association. When I have booted AROS, be that the base system, or though icAROS, the first impression is a customised GRUB boot loader. Popular Linux distros use GRUB. So it can look like another Linux before booting in that regard.

AmigaOne machines don't have a GRUB like boot loader. Except when they are actually booting Linux. But it is obvious they have a custom setup.

So are you telling me Amiga users are so illiterate about computing, that they can't even understand the difference between a bootloader and a kernel? Did I really loose so much time of my life arguing with totally clueless people?

Well. AROS is Linux because both use the same bootloader. So Amiga, PCs and AmigaOnes are the exact same thing because they all have a space bar.

BSzili 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 20:26:24
#29 ]

@kolla

Maybe he meant MBR instead of FAT, but is this something a regular user sees and thinks it's Linuxish? You could make a same argument about GPT, which is also supported by Linux.

michalsc 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 21:30:20
#30 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Hypex

Quote:

Uh, let us look at it from another perspective. Popular linux distros support PCI devices plugged in. All AmigaOne series have PCI slots. That makes AmigaOS running on X1000, X5000 or whatever else very linux-ish?

Or, if I would like to be sarcastic, I would tell AmigaOS4 actually *is* just like linux because it has shared objects (.so files). Happy? ;)

Quote:

AmigaOS4 boots from either CFE or UBoot. None of these comes from Amiga world, UBoot is used a lot on embedded systems of different architectures. Very often UBoot is used to boot linux. That makes AmigaOS4 more linux-ish than AROS. There are only very few customisations in UBoot for AmigaOS, compared to entire UBoot code base.

How ironic, parts of UBoot come from Linux either directly or in indirect way. Would you like to have AmigaOS done properly (without this awful 3rd party software parts), then you would have it embedded on the mainboard directly, just as it was the case with pre 4.0 Kickstarts.

Last edited by michalsc on 11-Apr-2018 at 09:38 PM.

michalsc 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 21:33:36
#31 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Hypex

Quote:
AmigaOne machines don't have a GRUB like boot loader. Except when they are actually booting Linux.

PS. Where do you have GRUB like boot loader on AmigaOne? Have I missed something? I hope you don't mean Parthenope, do you?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-Apr-2018 22:42:53
#32 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

really loose so much time of my life arguing with totally clueless people?

Yes you did...

BSzili 
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 14:09:11
#33 ]

@michalsc

I guess UBoot doesn't bother people, because they don't see it during a regular boot. Take note AROS distro makers, you only need to hide the GRUB menu, and "Linux-like" is no more

Karlos 
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 14:09:29
#34 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

I think the Amiga is best described as a concept. When it first appeared it was a groundbreaking glimpse into the future of personal computing.

These days it's difficult to pin down because every feature it introduced is completely mainstream now. In 1985, a multitasking multimedia machine (the term didn't even exist then) that did office tasks, played arcade quality games, allowed the creation of music and video was all brand new.

BigD 
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 14:41:13
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

The difference is that even in 1985 it opened up this new concept in a fun, accessible and logical way. Exploring AmigaOS, and what the hardware could do was fun! You could understand the way the operating system worked if you wanted and it felt like a tool hence it had a Workbench!

Configuring Macs and PCs for constructive use is a pain. The Amiga hardware was flakey at times when you added extra accelerators and bit and bobs but the perserverance was part of the fun. I spent the whole of last Saturday configuring a Buetooth Dongle to use a PlayStation 3 gamepad and the process made no sense. All modern OSes fight you trying to install drivers that aren't part of the Apple / Microsoft authenticated ecosystem. Heck you can't even configure the look of macOS without disabling System Integrity Protection! How like Tron's Master Control Program does that sound?

BigD 
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 16:30:42
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Now I've just figured I need another third party hack to get the MacBook's headphone audio to work correctly after sleep and wake up!! Progress? I don't think so

http://www.dognmonkey.com/techs/how-to-fix-no-audio-and-mic-after-wake-on-mac-os-x.html

bison 
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 16:49:42
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:
I think the Amiga is best described as a concept. When it first appeared it was a groundbreaking glimpse into the future of personal computing.

These days it's difficult to pin down because every feature it introduced is completely mainstream now. In 1985, a multitasking multimedia machine (the term didn't even exist then) that did office tasks, played arcade quality games, allowed the creation of music and video was all brand new.

Yes, I agree with this.

Back in 1985 all computers were simple because technology had not yet advanced to the point where it was possible to make them complex. But only Amiga was capable, which made it unique.

Nowadays all computers are capable, even our phones, but they are all complex as well, which causes a lot of problems and aggravation. So in my thinking the Amiga concept is to simplify a system as much as possible while retaining its capabilities.

This is why I advocate starting with an existing system such as Linux and working top-down, starting with the UI, and "Amigafying" it. This way the project always has a working system with apps, which makes it possible to attract users to the system while it is being developed.

Or to put it another way, this is close to the standard Linux distro development process with one important difference: each release works on improving the system instead of piling additional layers of software on top of it.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 17:00:42
#38 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Not true, main frames multitask like crazy, trying to keep up with the demand.
back then you had dumb terminals, you had to connect the main frames.

AmigaOS is descendant of TripOS. (Terminals and all the commands are the same)

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Apr-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Apr-2018 at 05:01 PM.

bison 
Posted on 12-Apr-2018 18:30:22
#39 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Not true, main frames multitask like crazy, trying to keep up with the demand.

Sorry, but I'm not following you at all -- what do mainframes have to do with anything I said?

Wumpus 
Posted on 13-Apr-2018 8:35:50
#40 ]

To me if it allows me to run most of my AOS 1.x, 2.x or 3.x software, even just the OS legal ones, then it's an Amiga now.

Without a solid base of my classic 68k applications, it's just another possibly interesting new platform, but not an Amiga.

Sure, I want more and faster, but not without that link to the past.

MorphOS is. I can't speak for OS4, I haven't got the hardware, but I assume it's similar.

Amithlon is.

Linux by itself is not, but UAE on Linux (or other OS) is.

AROS is getting there, but doesn't pay enough attention to 68k for my tastes, at least the last time I tried it.

In a whole other sense BeOS and Haiku almost are Amiga. BeOS seemed like something AOS might have ideally grown into over time. Tragically it suffered a similar fate.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle