Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 61 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 jPV:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 AmiKit:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  E-UAE 1.0.0: copying files to hd causes a crash
Register To Post

PosterThread
Gregor 
E-UAE 1.0.0: copying files to hd causes a crash
Posted on 12-Aug-2019 8:34:24
#1 ]

Is it 'normal' that in E-UAE 1.0.0 copying files to HD volumes causes always a guru (either the filesystem or UAE itself crashes)? Have tested several file systems (SFS, FFS, NGFS), no difference. Tested also copying from WB, CLI and DiskMaster, no difference.

Copying files to Ram disk goes without problems. Also saving files from applications to HD volumes works ok!

I have configured my HDs in .uaerc in this way:

filesystem2=rw,dh2:SOFTA:Softa:,0

I am using E-UAE in X5000, with OS3.5 and KickStart 40.68. Is there any fix for this issue...?

Regards,

Gregor

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: E-UAE 1.0.0: copying files to hd causes a crash
Posted on 12-Aug-2019 17:50:06
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Gregor

Unfortunately it's normal. I've been putting up with it for years. To my knowledge it only affects the Amiga versions just to be a slap in the face. It's been there in the UAE core since I've used OS4 that I can remember. I've checked the source and tried to see where it is happening but haven't found it. I suspected it slighty abused the DOS API and tried to close a locked lock. But I haven't found where. A debug version would help.

Gregor 
Posted on 12-Aug-2019 21:00:37
#3 ]

Quote:
Hypex wrote:

Unfortunately it's normal. I've been putting up with it for years. To my knowledge it only affects the Amiga versions just to be a slap in the face. It's been there in the UAE core since I've used OS4 that I can remember. I've checked the source and tried to see where it is happening but haven't found it. I suspected it slighty abused the DOS API and tried to close a locked lock. But I haven't found where. A debug version would help.

Sad to to hear that... But thank you for informing me, so that I do not anymore waste my time for useless testing!

BTW, I gave a try to FS-UAE (under Fienix), and it did not have this copying problem. It is also much easier to configure, but unfortunately it is surprisingly slow compared to E-UAE, although in Linux both cores are in use.

Regards,

Gregor

smf 
Posted on 13-Aug-2019 7:36:54
#4 ]

@Gregor

It's very annoying!
One workaround is to use harddiskimages instead but it's not a perfect sollution.

1. It is SLOW, i have a quite maxed out os3.9 installation that takes MUCH longer to boot up from hdf.
2. the hdf can not be bigger than 2GB. salass00 did a fork of euae to fix that limitation but i'm unsure about how that is progressing. https://github.com/salass00/e-uae
3. It's easier to copy over files to a drawer in your filesystem from os4 than having to mess with hardfiles.

A few years ago i think i could use filesystem harddrives in e-uae when i was using small partitions but i might have dreamt it because when i prepared a small partition just for that earlier this year it would still just crash when copying files.

Gregor 
Posted on 13-Aug-2019 19:11:14
#5 ]

@smf Quote:
One workaround is to use harddiskimages instead but it's not a perfect sollution.

1. It is SLOW, i have a quite maxed out os3.9 installation that takes MUCH longer to boot up from hdf.
2. the hdf can not be bigger than 2GB. salass00 did a fork of euae to fix that limitation but i'm unsure about how that is progressing. https://github.com/salass00/e-uae
3. It's easier to copy over files to a drawer in your filesystem from os4 than having to mess with hardfiles.

A few years ago i think i could use filesystem harddrives in e-uae when i was using small partitions but i might have dreamt it because when i prepared a small partition just for that earlier this year it would still just crash when copying files.

Thanks for the tip! I tested a partitionable HD image (RDB), and it seems to work ok. I created the image with FS-UAE, and partitioned and formatted it (as pfs3) on OS4.1. It was a little bit tricky to get the RDB image mounted (had to use both MountDiskImage and Mounter from Cli), but fínally got it working. BTW, I put the HD image on a NTFS volume, so that it can also be used with Linux/FS-UAE.

Regards,

Gregor

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle