Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  36 secs ago
 zipper:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 jPV:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 AmiKit:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /   Public Release of MorphOS 3.12
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Fl@sh 
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 3.12
Posted on 3-Oct-2019 21:40:27
#21 ]

@TRIPOS

If morphos really will support natively my powermac g5 quad I’ll buy it for sure.

Last edited by Fl@sh on 03-Oct-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
amigasociety 
Posted on 3-Oct-2019 22:08:26
#22 ]
Cult Member

Wonder if MorphOS for X5K will ever support the newer video cards... at least the most common used Radeon 7750. I would get a license if I could have just one good video card that worked for 3D on Amiga OS as it does not and for basics on MorphOS. tj

Rose 
Posted on 3-Oct-2019 22:45:59
#23 ]
Cult Member

@Cheese

Quote:

Cheese wrote:
@TRIPOS

Well, I guess there's still Raptor

Customer service seems to be on Amiga level too.

https://drewdevault.com/2019/09/23/RaptorCS-Blackbird-a-horror-story.html

TRIPOS 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 0:17:52
#24 ]

@Fl@sh

You have a 970MP system? Why don't you throw in an ATI card and try if it boots MorphOS? It's completely free to download... Then please report back here!

Note that they have not announced support in the OS for the PowerMac11,2 or 12,1, and there is more to that than just semantics. But it has happened before that they have opened up the public release version of the OS for "unofficial" hardware, like the G4 Cube. That one has some stuff in it that isn't (and never will be) supported by the OS, but if you really want to, you can choose to accept those limitation and still use it for what it is. The 970MP systems for example all came with nVidia GFX, which will most likely never be supported, and which definitely complicates things for the MorphOS end-user.

redfox 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 3:01:34
#25 ]
Elite Member

Congratulations to all involved. Very good news.

---
redfox

K-L 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 4:17:10
#26 ]

@Rose

Quote:
ustomer service seems to be on Amiga level too.

Have you read it fully?

Fl@sh 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 5:47:34
#27 ]

@TRIPOS

What’s best pcie ati carta supported by morphos, I could add to my powermac quad g5 to try?

rzookol 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 7:10:31
#28 ]

@Fl@sh

this X1950XT, other R500s may or may not work.

Newer Radeons also may work (as listed on MorphOS Team site), but they dont have 3D support and only some of them has Overlay support.

Both OF and PC bios cards should work.

ASiegel 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 7:18:37
#29 ]

@Rose

Quote:

While I am not excusing anything, this is actually not far off from what can and does happen with billion dollar computer companies...

Quote:
Wonder if MorphOS for X5K will ever support the newer video cards... at least the most common used Radeon 7750.

As I recommended to someone else earlier, if you are really interested, why not buy a portable Powerbook to complement your X5K?

Rose 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 7:19:49
#30 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

Quote:

K-L wrote:
@Rose

Quote:
ustomer service seems to be on Amiga level too.

Have you read it fully?

Yes, taking almost 3 months to solve DOA case isn't normal. And coincidentally they seemed to REALLY get intrested about fixing the situation after that story got quite bit attention on Reddit.

elwood 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 8:24:37
#31 ]
Elite Member

Congrats to the whole team. You're doing good.

Amiga Translator Organisation

lionstorm 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 15:39:21
#32 ]

@ASiegel

Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
@Rose

Quote:

While I am not excusing anything, this is actually not far off from what can and does happen with billion dollar computer companies...

Quote:
Wonder if MorphOS for X5K will ever support the newer video cards... at least the most common used Radeon 7750.

As I recommended to someone else earlier, if you are really interested, why not buy a portable Powerbook to complement your X5K?

I am like AmigaSociety on this : I would like to try/purchase MOS for my X5000 but want to keep AOS4 and so far there is no graphic card that would please both OS on this machine.
Not to mention that I dont want another computer at home so a dedicated MOS machine is out of question.

ASiegel 
Posted on 4-Oct-2019 16:08:01
#33 ]

@lionstorm

Quote:
I would like to try/purchase MOS for my X5000 but want to keep AOS4 and so far there is no graphic card that would please both OS on this machine.

Well, "pleasing either OS" is a rather relative expression. There are numerous graphics cards that work with either operating system but you may have to give up a feature or two.

How often do you use software that requires 3D graphics acceleration? Is this more important than access to an updated version of the Odyssey web browser to you? If so, I suppose MorphOS is not for you, which is perfectly fine.

guruman 
Posted on 5-Oct-2019 16:28:55
#34 ]

@ASiegel
Quote:
ASiegel wrote:
Is this more important than access to an updated version of the Odyssey web browser to you?

May I add (because nobody did so far) that the new Odyssey works like a charm and renders nicely most complex pages and is a good leap forward compared to previous version? There's still room for improvement, but it surely is an important piece of software that continues to be updated and this can't be but good.
Congratulations on a nice and comprehensive new release!

BTW, any reason why this is not (yet) a news on AmigaWorld.net? I think a major release of one of the NG OSes surely deserves the news item...

Kind regards,
Andrea

ASiegel 
Posted on 5-Oct-2019 17:20:43
#35 ]

@guruman

Quote:
BTW, any reason why this is not (yet) a news on AmigaWorld.net? I think a major release of one of the NG OSes surely deserves the news item...

Based on previous submissions, news moderation takes a while on AmigaWorld. By the time the news show up, it is usually listed below nine other announcements because so much time has passed between the date of submission and the eventual publication.

Even though I understand it may sound like I am complaining, I am just explaining past experiences. I think having a forum thread is just fine and I immediately opened one after the news submission was handled.

Last edited by ASiegel on 05-Oct-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Rockstaratemyhamster 
Posted on 5-Oct-2019 17:40:57
#36 ]

@ASiegel

First of all thank you for the update and the work of your team in the current release. I was quite impressed to see an updated version of Odyssey 1.26 and like the clean interface , but I must take exception at some of your postings and the lack of enthusiasm for X5000 owners simply telling them to buy a cheap 2nd hand machine.

Personally I own both a Mac Mini G4 and an X5000 and have a MorphOS licence for both machines. I would like to use my X5000 full time for MorphOS but as you are well aware it means getting rid of my current Radeon 7770 card. I am aware the best I can hope for in support is 2D with no overlay based on the current set of supported Radeon 5000-6000 series cards, for most X5000 owners I believe this would be more than acceptable considering what we would like to use your platform for.

I have read with interest on other forums that your development team are reliant on donations of graphics cards for development, so wonder if a donation would be of use here, although I do believe Radeon SI cards can be picked up quite cheaply nowadays on EBay?

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Oct-2019 18:40:14
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Rockstaratemyhamster

Welcome!

ASiegel 
Posted on 5-Oct-2019 18:46:31
#38 ]

@Rockstaratemyhamster

Quote:
I must take exception at some of your postings and the lack of enthusiasm for X5000 owners simply telling them to buy a cheap 2nd hand machine.

I think you are reading too much into what are really just pragmatic suggestions.

Two X5000 owners expressed interest to try out MorphOS and the two available options are to either switch graphics cards or to buy a second system. Period.

Given that not everybody is comfortable swapping components, I brought up the idea to buy a laptop first as it is a low risk option and could complement rather than replace any existing desktop hardware but I really do not have a personal preference for either option.

Rockstaratemyhamster 
Posted on 5-Oct-2019 19:25:23
#39 ]

@ASiegel

To the casual observer looking in, your pragmatism and abrupt assessment will come across and be interpreted by many as a red flag.

Aside from turning away many a potential new user, it is rather worrying that there appears to be no attempt to offer any update on when, or how the situation may be resolved or an explanation of why there is no current support for such cards at this present time.

Rather worrying are other reports I’ve read on a MorphOS forum where someone took the time out to present their X5000 setup at a show and was met with a response by you that they should not feel pressured to exhibit the operating system.

Realistically what are the current challenges involved in supporting Southern Island set of cards and what can be done within the community to help? It is not just X5000 owners who use these types of cards too but Sam460 owners also.

ASiegel 
Posted on 5-Oct-2019 19:57:23
#40 ]

@Rockstaratemyhamster

Quote:
To the casual observer looking in, your pragmatism and abrupt assessment will come across and be interpreted by many as a red flag.

Pardon?

Quote:
Aside from turning away many a potential new user

This is conjecture, not fact.

Quote:
it is rather worrying that there appears to be no attempt to offer any update on when, or how the situation may be resolved or an explanation of why there is no current support for such cards at this present time.

I cannot help but detect a sense of entitlement in your sentence. No MorphOS developer has ever made any promises in public with regard to future support for Southern Island graphics cards. So, why would the development team "owe" anybody any explanation?

MorphOS has been and is being offered as-is. It supports a certain set of hardware devices and components. Every interested user is invited to test the operating system on compatible hardware before buying it - or to simply use it 30 minutes at a time entirely for free if they prefer.

Quote:
Rather worrying are other reports I’ve read on a MorphOS forum where someone took the time out to present their X5000 setup at a show and was met with a response by you that they should not feel pressured to exhibit the operating system.

Citation?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle