Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  22 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 11 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 mbrantley:  5 hrs 10 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 33 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  5 hrs 41 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /   Public Release of MorphOS 3.12
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
geit 
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 3.12
Posted on 9-Oct-2019 18:05:51
#61 ]

Quote:

bennymee wrote:

Are you the author of Simplecat ? i send you several emails, did you got them ?

Yes, thats me.

Found one from 2018 :D

Geit

Profile     Report this post  
DJBase 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 9:48:54
#62 ]

I haven't followed everything in the past but as everyone is talking about the X5000 I was wondering why is there no support for the X1000? Its because no developer has such a board? Or anything else?

Rockstaratemyhamster 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 10:38:42
#63 ]

@DJBase

You want to be careful asking such questions. From experience, asking for support will risks you being labelled as someone who is entitled, a troll, or both.

As a MorphOS user I do not do not claim to speak for the development team either, but please take your pick from any of the following reasons as to why I think the X1000 is not supported:

* Its not an Apple product.
* It commits the sin or being able to run Amiga OS4.
* The majority of the X1000 userbase will have their systems installed with more up to date graphics cards. Because AmigaOS has purposely chosen this route to support these specific cards, these graphics cards are not supported in MorphOS . PERIOD.
* X1000 users will only wish to use MorphOS on an occasional basis so with this in mind:
* You can buy a cheap 2nd hand Mac Mini/Macbook/G5 to complement your X1000 machine.

Lack of Time, money, resources blah blah blah. Most companies will invest time and resources to chase a captive market that exists with the expectation that they will recoup that invesetment through sales. This logic does rarely applies in Amiga land and they wonder why the userbase is so low and stagnant.

A port to a Raspberry Pi 4 for MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 would be a better long term solution IMHO.

ASiegel 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 10:45:15
#64 ]

@DJBase

Quote:
I haven't followed everything in the past but as everyone is talking about the X5000 I was wondering why is there no support for the X1000?

Because the developers think there are better uses for their time. If you check the hardware compatibility page, the list of officially supported hardware systems has remained fairly stagnant as MorphOS has been running on a wide array of systems and form factors for years now.

The main appeal of the X5000 is that, unlike other MorphOS systems, it is still being sold as new with warranty.

@ Rockstaratemyhamster

Great job proving you are not a troll.

DJBase 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 10:51:33
#65 ]

@Rockstaratemyhamster

Quote:
A port to a Raspberry Pi 4 for MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 would be a better long term solution IMHO.

If you prefer ARM I think there are much better solutions arround than this toy (i.e. http://shop.elesar.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50 and I guess many more)

Rockstaratemyhamster 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 11:39:14
#66 ]

@DJBase

Nice kit, but i suspect too expensive a retail price for the MorphOS team to support or for many in the Amiga community to even buy. They were brought up on a diet of inexpensive hardware, and pirated games. They turn their nose up at paying EUR79 for a MorphOS licence because even that is too expensive. A Raspberry Pi 4 at 69 dollars, with 2GB of ram will be enough as MorphOS does not support more than 1.7GB of RAM.

MorphOS clear focus is on their selected range of PPC hardware of their choosing.
The concept of Wir Schaffen Das does not and cannot apply here.

jPV 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 12:09:26
#67 ]
Cult Member

@DJBase

Quote:

DJBase wrote:
I haven't followed everything in the past but as everyone is talking about the X5000 I was wondering why is there no support for the X1000? Its because no developer has such a board? Or anything else?

It's a huge work to add support for a new system, and then maintain it over the years with new versions.

There's already a big amount of supported systems and it seems to be wise to consider more careful when adding support for new systems.

There isn't much point to add support for X1000, because it was sold in limited quantities and it isn't available as new anymore. It's better concentrate to systems that are widely available (like used Macs) or are available as new, but even then it's questionable if it's worth to add support if it's not likely to be manufactured in big enough batches. Look what happened with Sam460... it was available only a very limited time and didn't bring any new users in practise.

Rockstaratemyhamster 
Posted on 10-Oct-2019 12:22:26
#68 ]

@jPV

I agree that options are limited largely down to the time and effort involved in development. You would see more Sam 460 owners using MorphOS if Southern Islands cards would be supported in MorphOS. A similar scenario exists with the current X5000 user base and many have already indicated they would purchase a MorphOS licence if their current set of cards were supported.

Just how many of the current MorphOS installed user base are using an X5000 only to use MorphOS and nothing else?

Btw great job on RNO Radio it’s a very nice addition to MorphOS, more people deserve to check it out.

ASiegel 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 15:21:35
#69 ]

@bison

Quote:
Is progress being made in porting MorphOS to X86_64, or has that stalled?

Live at Amiga 34 in Neuss, Germany

Last edited by ASiegel on 12-Oct-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Fl@sh 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 16:58:06
#70 ]

@ASiegel

Finally we got the power

TheKorn 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 17:49:19
#71 ]

@ASiegel

A little VID too.
Twitter.com

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 19:51:00
#72 ]
Elite Member

Well, it all seems morphos x86 will be done for sure. Then it only mean to recompile all the apps coming with morphos itself (which , in generall the ones everyone use today). Which mean also x86 jit in odyssey with no problems, no more any ppc/big-endian fixes when doing any ports.

Then UAE for all other stuff as before if anyone need it, and those apps which will be never recompiled, well, have a rest. At least those ones which come with morphos by default are more than enough.

Even today everything can be moved to x86, without all that "ouch, its too late". Just someone have power , wish and skills, and other ones only want to make all for free and sues with someone all the time :)

Through writing all those drivers for modern video cards, making mesa ports , etc, etc all of this will hard, for sure.

Last edited by kas1e on 12-Oct-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Drako 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 20:00:16
#73 ]

@kas1e

From MZ

... What is "native"? :D

The kernel that powers this system is a new kernel written by yours truly. In the demo system on display here, it is (of course) running as 100% native AMD64 code and, yes, in 64 bit mode. The kernel also runs on both PPC32 and PPC64, and again as native 64 bit code on the latter.

The current demo system - and may I remind you that this is just a demo - runs a mixture of native AMD64 code and existing PowerPC code.

From Twitter

No. It runs the same 68k and PowerPC binaries as the current public MorphOS. Yes, native software is also possible, but I cannot speak regarding any extra feature set.

AmiParty Team Member -> http://chal.pl

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 20:03:14
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Drako

Even better then. Hope it will be done for some released stay in the next 2-3 years. Will be funny to have installed win10, linux and morphos on one machine some day :)

ASiegel 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 20:08:56
#75 ]

@kas1e

Quote:
Then it only mean to recompile all the apps coming with morphos itself

Quote:
Then UAE for all other stuff as before if anyone need it, and those apps which will be never recompiled, well, have a rest. At least those ones which come with morphos by default are more than enough.

The tech demo shown in Neuss is actually able to run PowerPC code. So, existing applications would not necessarily have to be recompiled at all.

If/when the AMD64 version gets finished, MorphOS users should be able to enjoy a smooth and seamless transition. In the mean time, MorphOS users are encouraged to keep having fun with supported PowerPC hardware for the foreseeable future. Developers can rest assured that any newly created MorphOS software would still run even if the OS adds support for an additional processor architecture.

Last edited by ASiegel on 12-Oct-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Rockstaratemyhamster 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 20:14:11
#76 ]

@kas1e

You can already triple boot MorphOS on a computer, just expect your pre-millennial graphics card to be capped at 512MB across all three platforms and OpenGL to be running at version 1.x on Linux 😉

How is that new Polaris card of yours doing? Bet it flies 😉

Last edited by Rockstaratemyhamster on 12-Oct-2019 at 08:18 PM.

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 20:24:48
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Rockstaratemyhamster
Quote:

You can already triple boot MorphOS on a computer,

Yeah, x5000 there out of luck to run win10 , as well as linux with all normal support of latest gfx cards. But you know that already of course.

And yes, that morphos didn't support SI cards just for simple pure 2D without 3D/overlay kind of bad and reasson why i didn't use it on x5000, but only on some old trusty peg2 from time to time. And yeah, i understand that they have no interest to support those cards in near future, so .. x86 will be triply one , not x5000 :)

Quote:

How is that new Polaris card of yours doing? Bet it flies

I have many , but PolarisRX driver suck some amiga1200, and it slower than RadeonHD in most cases for about 30% on amigaos4. Only one exception are Spencer by some luck. The reassons is that RadeonRX driver didn't give you ability to handle powermanagment levels manually, and default state is default which is expect GART to be in place.

So currently only RadeonHD is better choice (as well as it support old minigl and old warp3d), until something from those 3 things happens : 1) or GART will be added 2) or there will be ability to set powermanagment profiles manually 3) or by default there will be set some powerlevel profile which will fits our "no gart" situation. Until then, RadeonHD only.

Last edited by kas1e on 12-Oct-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 12-Oct-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Rockstaratemyhamster 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 20:32:51
#78 ]

@kas1e

It’s always difficult when you are at the bleeding edge of development, especially OS4 wise. You know things aren’t sometimes what you hoped they would have been, but you know what?, persevere with it, keep working like you have and good things will come, I am sure of it 😉

1Mouse 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 20:53:12
#79 ]

@all

Could any of the AROS drivers be of any use for this new MorphOS variant?

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Zylesea 
Posted on 12-Oct-2019 21:32:03
#80 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Quote:

1Mouse wrote:
@all

Could any of the AROS drivers be of any use for this new MorphOS variant?

Dunno for sure of course, but I think MorphOS x64 will differ in a few ways from AROS or current MorphOS. AFAIU beside getting more potent hardware one other reason to go x64 is to make a few but pretty deep changes and modernizations. We'll see what it finally becomes.
I would really really like to see more and fruitful cooperation between MorphOS and AROS.
There are talented developers on each OS and their goal is very similar.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle