Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  5 mins ago
 OldFart:  15 mins ago
 VooDoo:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  27 mins ago
 pavlor:  41 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What do you want from Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
nikosidis 
What do you want from Amiga
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 16:40:41
#1 ]
Cult Member

It would be good to hear what people want from Amiga. Does not matter if it is classic, NG, MorphOS, AROS.

Do you want more powerfull hardware?

Are you just happy about what it is?
Much like a friend of mine, only use it with ProTracker to create chip tunes.
He could use a simelar PC program but he don't like that.

Do you see any future?

Do you want new games?

Do you want new software?

I think it can be a healty discussion.

I have a quite clear opinion myself of what I think of the Amiga and
what I want from it and what I think must do done for a possible future. I put that in a reply to this thread later.

Last edited by nikosidis on 23-Oct-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
outlawal2 
Re: What do you want from Amiga
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 17:22:54
#2 ]

@nikosidis

1)
I would like to see COMPLETED Mainboards for sale for the 1200 and 4000 desktop machines. (A lot of very cool projects abound but they are only for people that have the skills to build their own equipment and that limits these projects to just a select few that have the skills.) I would love to see someone step up and build these projects out and sell them COMPLETED.

2)
Tabor

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 17:28:21
#3 ]

@nikosidis

Interesting questions, Nikosidis.

My main Amiga, the one I use the most, is an Amiga 1200 with ACA1221EC and some other add-ons. I use it for AMOS, Blitz, Deluxe Paint, CygnusED, watching demos and some gaming. Mostly it is demoscene related activities. Very happy with this system, but... would love some more horsepower, as I'm missing out on quite a lot of 060 demos for example.

So, yes, I want more powerful hardware. I'd like something that is mostly the same as what I have, but improved, like the Vampire V4 Standalone or a standalone card. This offers a faster CPU (080), more memory (lots of Chip-RAM is nice), better graphics, but still is compatible with old stuff.

Now that the Vampire V4 Standalone was possible to pre-order from Amedia, I took the plunge and put my name on the list. Hopefully it will arrive in December, which I was told was the expected date of arrival.

Hopefully it'll be fun, creative machine to use. If not, then I always have the old workhorse ready for action.

Also have a MorphOS setup and have used AmigaOS 4 for some time and I like both, but it is on the classic I spend most of my time.

I definitely see a future when it comes to the classic. There are people coming back to this retro-platform and they get to experience something different from the common computers and other tech devices they are surrounded with in everyday life. Kind of like a refuge into a different world. I think it is very nice to sit with the Amiga with no social media, no e-mails coming in, no distractions from web and so forth, just myself and the Amiga, doing something creative or fun. Internet is of course possible on the A1200, but I only use it when I want to do something specific.

As for NG, I don't know. Wish A-Eon had been able to release Tabor earlier to get an increase in the amount of users and possibly developers. Isn't it four years since it was first announced? And everything is so cryptic these days. I see people having asked about Tabor in Amiga forums, Facebook, Twitter, but the answers are far and few between, or there are some vague hints about this and that. Time will show what happens, but hope it is not too late to get the much wanted boost in the community.

New games? Software? Yes, please. And that games like Reshoot R (for example) gets released in 2019 is absolutely fantastic!

Everblue 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 17:51:32
#4 ]
Cult Member

1. A proper HDMI out solution for A1200 with integer scaling and 50hz.

2. Affordable Amiga OS4 systems and investment to create useful software instead of making super expensive machines which have power that will never be used by the OS.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 18:52:50
#5 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

exclusive software that again attracts users

for me of course 68k rules ;)

TiredofLife 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 19:00:46
#6 ]

@nikosidis

I'd like to see more devs return and update existing software they left behind
No idea how to make that happen, just a wish.

Cheers

Zylesea 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 20:54:27
#7 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

I am rather satisfied with MorphOS.

Most important program is the browser - Odyssey is just good enough. It shouldn't fall behind though. And there's a nice mailer.

I'd like more cpu power - with the switch to x64 I am pretty confident to get that power.

A good word processor, that would be great.

And - once on x64 arrived - a virtual machine to run an instance of Windows or Linux within MorphOS.

Updates of Hollywood. And more programs by myself

I am looking rather confidently into the future . I don't expect masses to join the MorphOS band waggon. Albeit masses of users are not required, an increase of the user base would be very welcome and a decrease of the current user base must be avoided as it would quickly reach a critical level.

PR 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 21:47:15
#8 ]

Everybody Knows. The Killer app and Game.

My Idea was to wash the pc with a really proof Net app. For Banking etc.

Only PC and Opera makes it for now.

Fransexy 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 21:59:05
#9 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

New 68k/ppc accelerator with RTG for A1200

A full modern web browser

There's no harm in wishing

amigang 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 22:33:22
#10 ]
Elite Member

Main thing I want are:

1. Modern web browser (for any of the platforms really, but os4 id be most happy for.)

2. End to legal mess.

3. Less infighting in the community, we are all Amiga fans let just try and get along better.

4. Faster development times

nikosidis 
Posted on 23-Oct-2019 23:35:46
#11 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaOldskooler

We are very much in the same boat and have the same ideas.

@all

Good to see so many answers.

I had big hopes for a NG Amiga platform and I tought classic Amiga where dead for a long time.
Following the NG platform for years there been very little activity. Original software been almost like none. Scene productions been like none.
Now I see new games announced almost every week for classic Amigas!!!
The sceners are very much alive and the releases are often fantastic.

I like to be where things are happening. I see many follow NG Amiga platforms and hope for a great web-browser. MorphOS has for sure the most advanced web experience today. I'm pretty sure it will continue that way.

My interest these days are pure classic 68k. So much fun to play with. So many great, original games and scene productions and so many to come in the future.

Today we can be patrons and support things going on. It bring you closer to the developers, artists and you can have an impact on Amiga development. It is easy to quit the support if you are not happy with what being done.

We are the one that drive the demand for hardware and software.
I know some just do a game for the love of the Amiga. We seen original games and arcade game convertions done for free. I still know that if we want quality releases for the future there must be money involved. Support whatever in the Amigaworld that is important for you. I know what I'm saying is not rocket science, but I feel support for patrons and game sales seams way to low.
Hardware sales seams quite good. What could be brough in regarding the Checkmate case was amazing!

Last edited by nikosidis on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:36 PM.

NovaCoder 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 4:38:50
#12 ]

@outlawal2

Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
@nikosidis

1)
I would like to see COMPLETED Mainboards for sale for the 1200 and 4000 desktop machines. (A lot of very cool projects abound but they are only for people that have the skills to build their own equipment and that limits these projects to just a select few that have the skills.) I would love to see someone step up and build these projects out and sell them COMPLETED.

Yes same here, I'd like people to be able to log into a trusted retailer's site and order a complete reproduction A500/A1200/A3000 with the ability to customize them during the order process (like the keyboard and case kick starter campaign website).

The tricky thing with offering a 'classic' style reproduction Amiga is that everyone wants something slightly different, some users just want a exact copy of the original, others wants some slight improvements and others will want something much more modern.

Last edited by NovaCoder on 24-Oct-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Last edited by NovaCoder on 24-Oct-2019 at 04:39 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 8:22:18
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Thead

PPC software from A-EON. Where is PPC native Aladdin, Bars and Pipes, Octamed, ImageFX etc? If there is no updated software then why invest in Tabor? I can play Tower57 on my Mac and browse the web! What's an AmigaNG for if not for special Amiga software?

Everblue 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 8:48:18
#14 ]
Cult Member

A-Eon have invested, probably, millions of Euros to make the X1000 and X5000, machines, which in the Amiga world can be considered powerful but in the end did very little to the cause. Instead of starting with these, they should have made a cheap board first, and used that money to commission professional software instead. Once interest is built and there is a market for it, then we should have moved on to X1000 and X5000. Instead what do we have now?

1. No new software
2. An "upcoming" cheap Amiga OS board which has compatibility issues
3. Two very expensive machines that will never be fully supported by the OS
4. Amiga OS4 limbo

I am not trying to bash here, but just expressing my disappointment. In the end I know I will buy the A1222 when released, and hopefully it is not too late and that it will build a sizeable new Amiga OS user base.

PR 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 9:06:09
#15 ]

Still waiting for payed Wings for OS4. Then for the payed browser.

Makes somehow reliability issues.

Zylesea 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 10:08:04
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

addition to my former post:

While I am optimistic for a tiny but working niche for MorphOS where I will happily accomondate I am also slightly optimistic dor 68k.
The situatuion is rather good: (Win)UAE is nearly perfect, new hardware is interesting (FPGA and non-fpga hardware). Even I think about souping up my old A600 - just for the fun of it,
On 68k the legal bullshˇt is the main issue. I'd be happy if Cloanto got the rights and would eventually open source the OS (as they intend to do according to the statements on their website). But there's also AROS 68k which gains momentum and which _could_ render original AmigaOS 3.x void.

The main difference between 68k and NG is that 68k is hobby and retro (which isn't bad) while NG is more about being a workhorse according to the habbits of long term Amigans.

All in all I think it's a kind of a wonder that we have managed to be Amigans for more than 30 years of which 25 years have been after C= folded...

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 10:32:03
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

You sum it up very well

what people call "classic" is a fun and retro platform

NG is the try to have a modern platform with some propably still dreaming of the golden age

MorphOS could become a modern platform but (as I already wrote) the problem is that the situation has changed. If they make something targetting non-amiga user then it is propably not very interesting for the amiga community and in worst case also not interesting to new users because of no software. And it is a very ambitious project. I only remind of FriendUP or how it is called. Amiga-inspired will be not enough.

My aims (with Aros 68k) are smaller... I hope that Aros 68k becomes a alternative to 3.1 for real amigas and vampire (v4) and a development base for new exclusive software (expecially games). And of course as many users as possible (be it UAE or on real computers)

BTW Games will decide if any of the platforms will gain users or not, exclusive games (not something that is just a port).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 24-Oct-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 24-Oct-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 24-Oct-2019 at 10:33 AM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 12:17:19
#18 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

>Do you want more powerfull hardware?

Mixed feelings.
I think for new SW to work well enough ~1Ghz or more is minimum.

I would love to do some video editing, that's what I would need the power.
-> should try to learn blender for that use and to see what is enough

I imagine my 666Mhz SAM with 512MB RAM is not fast enough to be fun.
I would not "mind" to see some modernish games on Amiga systems, steam link client would help more than half-way for me...

I'm not "ready" to spend thousands on new AmigaHW untill there is SW that can use the power fully.

>Are you just happy about what it is?

My AOS4 system has had lack of stability.
I plan to rebuild & configure my SAM to see if I can make it as stable as other Amigans have managed (~month without reboot).

My MorphOS systems have a little learning curve for old AmigaOS fan, but I should be able to learn it...
Then I might face the limit of 32MB video RAM of my morphmini.

My A4000 started to break down and HDD speeds became an issue.
(I will be doing some refurbishing there etc.)

>Much like a friend of mine, only use it with ProTracker to create chip tunes.
>He could use a simelar PC program but he don't like that.

I know the feeling. I think I would prefer Amiga environment for everything, rather than mainstream monster OSs.

>Do you see any future?

My chrystal ball has become a little dimmer than before.
I hope for the best, but I fear the worst.

I think Amiga(like)OS systems still have some advantages vs the mainstream, so I would love to see them survive to the younger nerd generation.

I think 10 000 active (buying) users could be enough momentum for future growth and health of the niche.

>Do you want new games?

A little. (but I already have more games than time for them)

>Do you want new software?

Yep. Old SW feels too retro, sometimes.

>I had big hopes for a NG Amiga platform and I tought classic Amiga where dead for a long time.

I admit classics have their own fun. Simple fun.

>Following the NG platform for years there been very little activity. Original software been almost like none. Scene productions been like none.
>Now I see new games announced almost every week for classic Amigas!!!
>The sceners are very much alive and the releases are often fantastic.

Amiga developers are fantastic.

>I like to be where things are happening. I see many follow NG Amiga platforms and hope for a great web-browser. MorphOS has for sure the most advanced web experience today. I'm pretty sure it will continue that way.

I've found out that 2GB RAM + 4core 1.33Ghz platforms are not powerfull enough for modern web browsers.
So I think I personally should not hope for good web browser experience on Amiga(like)OS.

I should focus using some cheap x86 device for that (via RDesktop or similar).

>the Checkmate case was amazing!

Stephen is a very cool guy (I've found out that I disagree in 40% of his opinnions, but anyway).
And the Checkmate case is indeed great! ( I hope I manage to build SAM+RPi+x64 in it. )

Last products I've bought:
-BOH (the game)
-Checkmate case
-AmigaForever
-AmikitXE

Looking forward into getting more and donating more to Amigaworld projects.

"2. Affordable Amiga OS4 systems and investment to create useful software instead of making super expensive machines which have power that will never be used by the OS."

+1

"disappointment. "

+1 (even though, we have managed damn well without $$$$$$ of support)

"In the end I know I will buy the A1222 when released, and hopefully it is not too late and that it will build a sizeable new Amiga OS user base."

+1

"2. End to legal mess."

+100

"3. Less infighting in the community, we are all Amiga fans let just try and get along better."

+1

Last edited by KimmoK on 24-Oct-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 24-Oct-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 24-Oct-2019 at 12:22 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

terminills 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 12:18:41
#19 ]
AROS Core Developer

@nikosidis

Quote:
I like to be where things are happening. I see many follow NG Amiga platforms and hope for a great web-browser. MorphOS has for sure the most advanced web experience today. I'm pretty sure it will continue that way.

I wouldn't be so sure. ;)

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Oct-2019 12:24:06
#20 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

People use a computer not because of hardware or OS but software (or apps how it is called today)

and there I mean exclusive software

That will be the critical point... do we get enough exclusive software that makes it interesting to use amiga or not

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle