Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  7 mins ago
 amigang:  32 mins ago
 Tpod:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 MarcioD:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  24 years of PowerPC Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: 24 years of PowerPC Amiga
Posted on 7-Nov-2019 8:47:49
#21 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

It doesn't matter how much of a software base that the AmigaNG PPC machines have if the prospective customers are wanting newer versions of their Classic software. If a potential customer can't see the value of upgrading to an NG machine unless they already own and have had experience with one then you will NEVER get new NG Amiga users in any sizeable numbers. Your pompous attitude causes people to lose interest in NG Amigas and buy Vampires. There is already a court case that is deeply damaging to the platform. Hey if you want this to continue as a computer club for the classes and privileged few you are going the right way about it.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Nov-2019 9:40:21
#22 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

It is not important what you, me or fishy think

User decide by buying or not buying something

Developers decide by providing software or not and most important are exclusive software, not just ports from linux

If you look at the user base, new hardware and the activity regarding new software (most of it games of course) it is obvious where most interest is

Rob 
Posted on 7-Nov-2019 20:20:26
#23 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
As previously mentioned the ibook G4 is in regular use as a scanner terminal.

It would be rude not to download the live cd and give it a whirl.

https://www.morphos-team.net/downloads

From reading the documentation it seems that scanning is well supported in MorphOS so it may be possible to ditch Mac OS and still use the machine for scanning duties.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 9:23:06
#24 ]

@BigD

Quote:

It doesn't matter how much of a software base that the AmigaNG PPC machines have if the prospective customers are wanting newer versions of their Classic software.

Yeah, go ask EA for an updated version of DPaint. If that doesn't get you too far, ask Cloanto who's still around for Personal Paint. There is also Maxon with Cinema 4D, just to enhance your ideas. Or why not ask IBrowse team for an actually usable internet browser? After all, latest version is currently compatible with all major NG OSes. Hell, why not inquire all prior leading software houses from the 90s regarding updated classic versions which can take advantage of faster 68k systems that have become popular nowadays, so users don't have to spend 600 euros in order to play Lotus at the end of the day?

MorphOS, OS4, AROS team's responsibilities stop at the point of providing the right tools to get the job done for an external developer. Do they have better stacks, graphic drivers, stable environment, gcc etc? If so, there is nothing more to add on the basket from their part.

Quote:

If a potential customer can't see the value of upgrading to an NG machine unless they already own and have had experience with one then you will NEVER get new NG Amiga users in any sizeable numbers.

People like you are doing far more damage. Without any knowledge or experience, repeating the voices in your head will never make them true. Plus you are distracting any potential user browsing the forums. Just write down a disclaimer in your sig.: I am a complete noob when it comes to Amiga and its software, don't take my words for granted.

'Cause otherwise, one might actually gets to think if he should choose OS that has a usable browser, IDE, mail client, integrated and updated MUI, integrated Samba, Poseidon, can stream .mkv h264 through a nas from mPlayer, mix with a Hercules dj console in combination to SoundBankster, offers net printing options, can utilize most 68k commands/libs/commodities, has virtually unlimited screens output and is straight compatible even with wb 1.3 preferences. Just to name a few advantages, right from the boot. But then again, don't let these facts distract you. Let people to better patch the guts out of 3.x in order to get it on a semi-usable modern state, rather than purchase a complete working solution.

Quote:

Hey if you want this to continue as a computer club for the classes and privileged few you are going the right way about it.

LOL you really don't have any idea what you are talking about, do you? On the 68k scene, which is much bigger than NG, people are investing more money _just_to_get_ their Amigas display in an LCD (ossd, rgb-vga/scanplus with a compatible monitor or Indivision) than compared to the total cost of a licenced Mac Mini, which runs circles when it comes to actually running/using Amiga software. But then again, the vast majority of 8k users don't care about the software side: throw them a redpill project and everyone is happy. Or better invest on a Vampire, slap a CoffinOS and then throw some more money _just_to_get_ a modern network stack (Roadshow), 'cause the system, underneath all the bells and whistles, is ultra dated. Sounds right, 68k is for the masses but NG for the exclusive ones :)

@Rob

Hell NO! Didn't encourage him, please. My proposal: BigD, search for a 2nd Sam system, it will cost you less than any 68k significant upgrade and you will enjoy hundreds of Amiga software pieces!

michalsc 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 13:04:23
#25 ]
AROS Core Developer

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Have to wonder why someone would constantly post such drivel. You know it's crap, everyone else knows it's crap, so what's the end game?
To appear stupid and unstable? That's kinda weird dude.

That guy is a regular troll known previously from Polish websites. All he is capable to is to constantly repeat how crappy and slow AROS is and that it has to be better than Windows or Linux. Just ignore that guy. ;)

Ah wait, since MOS Team showed something x64 based he started to attack them too recently ;)

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 14:46:04
#26 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
AmigaNG PPC machines have if the prospective customers are wanting newer versions of their Classic software.

Vampire still has not usable MMU and 3D.
As long as they not pay enough to cover additional time needed to code for vampire it is not important what they want.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 15:14:37
#27 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Still waiting for an OS4 port to the PS3. I guess that became impossible when the Other OS function was removed

Vampire will get MMU one day I'm sure.

Last edited by BigD on 08-Nov-2019 at 03:15 PM.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 20:05:34
#28 ]
Cult Member

When I wrote 3D on AROS on fast pc was slower than on MOS on G5 I mean NVidia 9600GT Core2Duo vs MOS on G5.
I run Q3 on AROS some years ago on Core2Duo 9600GT, it was 2012 and NVidia 9600GT was still decent graphics card. AROS noveau runs teen times slower than closed source drivers from NVidia.
I run today Q3 on my G5 on MOS it runs faster than on Core2Duo 9600GT.
My Core2Duo die fe years ago.
I try to redone test on my five years old i7 but:
Suprise! AROS has 3D drivers for older cards than Amiga Os 4.
AROS has support 3D for NVidia gtx5xx from 2010, while Amiga Os 4 suport Radeon SI from 2013.
To run Q3 on AROS on my pc I have to buy nine years old graphics card.
This makes all test useless.
Some aros clowns still think that on x86 they not compete with win/osx/lnx.
They think that user will buy ancient cards to have 3D.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 20:08:02
#29 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

But for now vampire has not MMU and 3D.
So, from developer point of view it is not good enough to resign from ppc.

kolla 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 22:07:54
#30 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Vampire will get MMU one day I'm sure.

They already have MMU.

Question is if there will be a 040 like interface to the 68080 MMU.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 12:29:40
#31 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Still waiting for an OS4 port to the PS3.

Why, do you have one?

Was this because of some comment that a PS3 port may be possible? Well I'd say forget it. The Cell CPU isn't exactly like a PowerPC. One core would be in use and only 256MB is available IIRC. The Tabor has a non-standard CPU which required a bit of extra work. A port won't happen for a now obsolete architecture. Yes I wasn't trying to be funny.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle