Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 3 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 41 mins ago
 billt:  5 hrs 49 mins ago
 amigang:  6 hrs ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 2 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 25 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What future for the Amiga platform?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: What future for the Amiga platform?
Posted on 10-Dec-2019 10:36:08
#21 ]
Elite Member

@agami

What is the Amiga Platform? What reason would a new developer have to buy any Amiga ecosystem wares?

Its all users stupid

Where the users are the platform is... very simple

And developers are motivated by users too (and of course money if commercial but for that you need users too)

And BTW there is pretty much activity on aros 68k at the moment

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Dec-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
KimmoK 
Posted on 10-Dec-2019 10:52:44
#22 ]
Elite Member

For my little time, there is plenty of activity (stuff to hobby on) at:
-Classics
-Vampire
-AOS4
-MorphOS
-AROS (68k, hosted, half-native, A64, ARM)
-emulations (hosted, half-native, on PPC + A64 + ARM)

After the darkest times of late 90's and early 2000, things are more positive. Just IMHO.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Dec-2019 10:56:35
#23 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I see it the same way

In recent years it really was dark with little to no activity but at the moment it is getting better with new hardware and software

Another project I am very happy about is AGA support for Amos

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Dec-2019 at 11:00 AM.

terminills 
Posted on 10-Dec-2019 14:20:11
#24 ]
AROS Core Developer

@OlafS25

Quote:
Now that Aros main branch is 68k

Says who?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

bison 
Posted on 10-Dec-2019 15:40:16
#25 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

I see you've upgraded your bear.

Troels 
Posted on 10-Dec-2019 21:51:13
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie
How should we have a clue when nothing is released, demoed or confirmed. The secrecy is driving people nuts until they give up and leave the platform. It's not like it is industry secrets that need be hidden for MS and Apple, the secrecy is ridiculous.

---------

In an AmigaOS4 scene where all where prepared to move in the same direction instead of fighting I would be with Fransexy
Approach fex. Huawei to obtain motherboards to port OS4 to, or better yet go back to the plans from the QNX days (with some unix kernel). Then make it as much AmigaOS like as possible as fast as possible, if made by Amiga devs I think that could be a great solution and MOST users wouldn't mind what the underlying tech was. Enhance as we move along.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 11-Dec-2019 7:52:45
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

It's not about secrets. Some things are clear, even sharp, what the problems are.
I smell that there are internal division inside the same company. Many wants maneuver the ship's helm. Results? The boat is drifting and, probably soon, will sink.

It's now clear to me that many doesn't have a clue, albeit minimal, on how the move the right steps, commercially or technologically, but are expert in say: this is mine, this also is mine and this too...
not willing to make any agreement or to take a step back when necessary, even seeing the ship sink ...

jPV 
Posted on 11-Dec-2019 8:09:22
#28 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Trixie wrote:
@ppcamiga1

Quote:
Amiga NG ppc is also where it was one year ago.

Which only shows that, as regards OS4 at least, you have no clue about the actual development.

Yeah, and regards MorphOS too. There was new major update released in October which also adds support for several new computers. The MorphOS SDK has got big changes (GCC9/DWARF2/ObjC/ObjFW, etc) in Oct/Nov, new modern email client has been developed, many other software releases etc. Especially MorphOS Team is very busy to bring us new stuff and it's just ignorance to say it hasn't moved anywhere in a year...

amigang 
Posted on 11-Dec-2019 13:31:07
#29 ]
Elite Member

like some have pointed out, the intrest and real movement/momentum does feel like with the classic Amiga scene.

I think not hearing a bit of news on AmigaOS 4.2 is the main reason of this and Im not holding my breath for it any time soon plus the delay of A1222 is not helping.

But as my video point out ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSO9KpKVa0 ) the Amiga future never looked so good, I cant remeber a time in last 20 years when so many hardware projects where going on for the Amiga scene and big updates to OS has been annouced to, AmigaOS 3.2, Aros x64, Morpthos x86.

so one camp maybe be slightly struggling but there is planety of movement in the other to get involed in!

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 11-Dec-2019 16:39:07
#30 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie

I like You too.

pavlor 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 9:00:33
#31 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

In my humble POV, most severe problem the Amiga platform faces right now is demographics. Youngest active users are in their mid thirties (mostly in the Central and Eastern Europe), Western European Amiga users are older and US Amiga community is endangered by extinction in the next 10 years.

We need young blood or there will be no Amiga platform at all.

I think one way to attract young users could be Amiga emulation (or conversion of Amiga games) on devices these young people use. Last weekend, I tried to find some mobile games for my 6 years old relative and most of them were - gameplay-wise - a pure garbage in comparison to the Amiga games from the early 90s.

However, "converting" game players to real users and developers will be really hard task, but we should at least start somewhere.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 9:54:36
#32 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
In my humble POV, most severe problem the Amiga platform faces right now is demographics.

i dont see any problem here. it will survive as long as people need it. you cannot subdue people to it as if it was any ideology worth to carry forth, assumed it has such an exceptional value, the followers insist on.

Quote:
We need young blood or there will be no Amiga platform at all.

people will now and then recall obscure stuff and it may even become a trend for a year or two. so amiga will likely survive if in a form of uae on quantum mobile.

though since you are as always obviously referring to os4 and its hardware being amiga, the talk about attracting young blood has been a mantra since forever, with no effect. and for a reason. the product is simply too unattractive for a general public in every respect one can think of. if it has been a project that people could gather around taking a part in a constructive way, it could stand a chance. instead its being served as a placebo substitute for ageing sentimental addicts, who can afford it. so well, it works out as expected, because it is, what it was meant for. its folly to demand it to be something else, if it is simply not your call.

Quote:
we should at least start somewhere.

there is nothing "we" can do about it and hence we dont need to start anywhere. the situation is the same it was for decades, except for further decline, which is natural. one can of course post about it in circles and this is what aw.net lives on, but the world goes on and kids are playing amiga games under emulation or on old gear found in the attic and all is fine.

pavlor 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 10:11:07
#33 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
i dont see any problem here. it will survive as long as people need it. you cannot subdue people to it as if it was any ideology worth to carry forth, assumed it has such an exceptional value, the followers insist on.

In my POV, that the core problem here. Advertising is always useful, C64 would not become biggest selling computer of the 80s without strong advertising. Commodore and Amiga platforms had great advantage in strong user base, but this one is eroding by natural causes. Year by year our numbers thin, I certainly don´t want to be the last Amiga user on this planet.

Quote:
though since you are as always obviously referring to os4 and its hardware being amiga

No, I have Amiga platform in general in mind. If all developers die out, users will be left with the old stuff and lose interest. Any healthy community is based on developers and "pro" users, not casual gamers.

Quote:
but the world goes on and kids are playing amiga games under emulation or on old gear found in the attic and all is fine.

Without developers to care for their needs (Amiga emulation on their "quantum phones"), they will have nothing Amiga to play with.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 10:48:34
#34 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
In my POV, that the core problem here.

goes without saying.

Quote:
No, I have Amiga platform in general in mind. If all developers die out, users will be left with the old stuff and lose interest. Any healthy community is based on developers and "pro" users, not casual gamers.

we are long past this point. the platform is obsolete. developers left because there are no users and users are left with old stuff because there are no developers. amiga community is definitely not healthy by your standards nor will it ever be.

Quote:
Without developers to care for their needs (Amiga emulation on their "quantum phones"), they will have nothing Amiga to play with.

what is there is the pool of legacy stuff and there will likely always be an amiga emulator and hardware projects may last a while, since they prosper so much right now. we cannot influence it anyway and honestly if you are thinking about genuine amiga platforms there is a lot of activity there. nothing to worry about.

pavlor 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 13:12:28
#35 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
nothing to worry about.

We may yet prevail. That's a... a conceit. But... it's a healthy one. I wonder if the Emperor Honorius watching the Visigoths coming over the seventh hill truly realized that the Roman Empire was about to fall. This is just another page in history, isn't it? Will this be the end of *our* civilization? Turn the page.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 14:48:14
#36 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

what a bold comparison. that empire you seem to want us to defend have already been torn apart down to the last brick.

Rose 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 14:56:08
#37 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@pavlor

what a bold comparison. that empire you seem to want us to defend have already been torn apart down to the last brick.

Collapse of empire was fake news like outsiders disintrest on NG.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 15:35:49
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Quote:
Collapse of empire was fake news

well there is dissident historians who argue that the whole middle ages have been simply invented out of nothing just because otto the third wanted to rule in year 1000.

simplex 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 16:56:14
#39 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Hah, I recognized that quote, though I was recently rereading the Dune series, which threw me off. I had to look up the source before remembering who said it.

pavlor 
Posted on 12-Dec-2019 17:18:29
#40 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
dissident historians

I certainly would not call these lunatics as historians. However, this may be valid for some parts of the ancient Middle East chronology, which is still in a flux.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle