Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 112 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  Frank

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Frank:  1 min ago
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  9 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  20 mins ago
 MickJT:  39 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D Remake Released
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
deakmann 
Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D Remake Released
Posted on 24-Jun-2020 20:51:29
#61 ]

@BigD

Has anyone got a joypad to work with this, i'm using Ubuntu 20.04LTS and a snes style retro joypad which works well with fs-uae.
I've set the use_joystick option to true but no luck.

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 24-Jun-2020 21:25:58
#62 ]
Elite Member

@deakmann

Quote:
Has anyone got a joypad to work with this

Yep, works a treat with a PS3 Dualshock 3 with Scptoolkit on Windows 7.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jul-2020 22:19:32
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Since ZDoom 1.22 has been ported to 060 based Amigas by Novacoder does that mean that Project Osiris will now run on a Classic Amiga?

http://aminet.net/package/game/shoot/ZDOOM_RTG.lha

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jul-2020 12:11:33
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

My mistake; it looks like Project Osiris uses GZDoom for its engine not ZDoom!

The main differences are as follows:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54674

Quote:
... GZDoom is "ZDoom + pretty OpenGL renderer" (shaders, lights, models, no y-shearing) in a lot of respects.

So over to Novacoder / ArcturusDeluxe: Can Project Osiris be ported to the Amiga without the new OpenGL renderer or would that defeat the point? Is it possible to hack the game to use the ZDoom renderer for Classic 060 RTG machines?

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jul-2020 at 12:12 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 27-Jul-2020 22:00:23
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

.... back to the PeeCee version of Project Osiris then I guess? You can't say I didn't try to work out what efforts an Amiga port would take!

juMa 
Posted on 19-Oct-2020 5:21:03
#66 ]

New version is out. Highly recommended.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67666&start=105#p1168695

Trekiej 
Posted on 7-Nov-2020 19:25:49
#67 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Cool game, running beta 10.

John 3:16

NovaCoder 
Posted on 8-Nov-2020 13:53:24
#68 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Thread

My mistake; it looks like Project Osiris uses GZDoom for its engine not ZDoom!

The main differences are as follows:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54674

So over to Novacoder / ArcturusDeluxe: Can Project Osiris be ported to the Amiga without the new OpenGL renderer or would that defeat the point? Is it possible to hack the game to use the ZDoom renderer for Classic 060 RTG machines?

No idea, I'm retired.

ODAMEX AGA/RTG were the most advanced Doom ports that I did, maybe that would support these maps?

ArcturusDeluxe 
Posted on 24-Apr-2021 16:00:09
#69 ]

Hi all! Sorry for not catching this thread sooner. Thanks all for your interest in my project! Feels good to know people are noticing it and enjoying it. Just thought you'd like to know I recently put out another big update, and it's now 1.0.

Downloads and info are here: https://arcturusdeluxe.itch.io/project-osiris

As well as lots of little gameplay tweaks and additional graphics (the worm guys and the final boss now have diagonal frames, took me an eternity to draw!), I also made a new soundtrack for the game. The CD32 tracks are supported too, but you'll have to provide your own music files for the time being I'm afraid! I found out Bjorn Lynne has the AB3D soundtrack for sale so I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. I've reached out to him to ask for permission to include them, so hopefully he responds. Sorry about that, hope you understand.

I hope you'll give my soundtrack a chance though. I'm far from a professional musician but I think it works fairly well at giving a darker atmosphere to the game. It also has a few callbacks to music from the original Alien Breed games, so listen out for those!

As for an Amiga port of Osiris, sadly I'm not sure if it's possible for the time being. I've used a lot of features only present in modern versions of GZDoom, and currently the Amiga port of ZDoom is extremely outdated. Some of these are things like 3D floors and transparent water, which are pretty important for a true AB3D experience.

For more information, the main project thread on the ZDoom forums is the best place to keep an eye out. Even the main dev of the original, Andrew Clitheroe, showed up at one point! That was pretty cool. If you have any issues, best way to talk to me is on that the ZDoom thread or via Twitter (@arcturusdeluxe). I'll be checking this thread too though. Cheers everyone!

BigD 
Posted on 24-Apr-2021 21:25:28
#70 ]
Elite Member

@ArcturusDeluxe

Welcome We are honoured that you dropped by!

Though it’s sad that a Classic ‘miggy version isn’t possible it is still a great achievement and a great remake. It really has captured the soul and atmosphere of the old blocky AGA game and it is masterful that you’ve basically installed a ‘imagination filter’ that reimagines how a 90s kid would have perceived the levels when playing them at the time.

The only level I remember having ‘mind’s eye’ issues with was the last one with the end boss and quite gaudy floor pattern. I know it was basically a Bomberman type grid at the end with a few secrets but it didn’t seem a well thought out arena for the last battle and given the hulking 3D nature of the weird dragon thing it was quite confusing trying to dodge rockets with the low res postbox window etc. I can’t wait to see your reinterpretation of it! Love your music too!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Apr-2021 11:49:43
#71 ]
Elite Member

@ArcturusDeluxe

Quote:
As for an Amiga port of Osiris, sadly I'm not sure if it's possible for the time being. I've used a lot of features only present in modern versions of GZDoom, and currently the Amiga port of ZDoom is extremely outdated. Some of these are things like 3D floors and transparent water, which are pretty important for a true AB3D experience.

Well it can be done. People need to have mediator or some other PCI to Zorro adapter, or of graphic cards that plugs into accelerator cards.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88920

But the challenge is slow, buggy drivers it might work on some graphic cards and not on other graphic cards. The drivers are old won’t have support for the latest features. If want to have water effect you are limited to animated textures. There is no TCL in the old drivers.

Yes, I know this is not have people think about Amiga, the FPGA Amiga computers these days don’t support 3D (so step backwards, but also step forward because they often support true color graphics, not so common in old days), it be interesting to know how many have a 3D graphic card in their old classic Amiga.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Apr-2021 at 11:57 AM.

ArcturusDeluxe 
Posted on 25-Apr-2021 12:45:12
#72 ]

@BigD

Just to set your expectations on the final level, I'm afraid looks and layout-wise its not very different, but the boss fight itself is more elaborate, and with modern controls and visuals it should be easier to deal with. Hope you enjoy!

Also it was AB3D2 with the 3D final boss, it was a giant praying mantis guy. The original's fight is a large sprite. I think they were similar fights otherwise though.

@NutsAboutAmiga

Oh sure, I didn't mean it was completely impossible forever, I just meant in terms of what I can do, I'd have to wait for other developments first. Aside from the hardware issue, someone would also need to port a modern version of GZDoom to enable the room-over-room and 3D model features and stuff like that. Personally I'm more artist than coder, so that's way outside of my ability I'm afraid!

HammerD 
Posted on 25-Apr-2021 16:07:03
#73 ]
Cult Member

@ArcturusDeluxe

Thanks for making this, I am enjoying playing it! :)

noXLar 
Posted on 25-Apr-2021 23:47:06
#74 ]
Cult Member

@ArcturusDeluxe

me too love it alot, hope there will be a remake of ABII too:))

and the magically coop support. can always dream

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 26-Apr-2021 8:48:09
#75 ]

@ArcturusDeluxe

Hey man, fyi, AB3D/Project Osiris is going to be main article for RetroPlanet mag. (in Greek) June issue, over a lengthy 10+ pages report ;)

Project Osiris helped me to finally enjoy the awesomeness of the game as I couldn't stand the blocky graphics of the original, no matter how many times I tried to finish, back in the days.

And speaking about the game, I got the feeling that many stages could be twisted for competitive multiplayer. On design level, many appeared to be interconnected corridors with side rooms, leading to a main - central arena. What do you think about it?

I know that adding multiplayer support is not part of your goals, but dammit, this game could be a blast on modern amiga gatherings (especially with Amiga NG).

Hope also you reconsider about AB3D2 :0

R-TEAM 
Posted on 26-Apr-2021 18:37:48
#76 ]

@ArcturusDeluxe

yes - a very nice "modern-ished" port ;)

@Cool_amigaN

btw AB3D2 - i would "realy" like to see this as an modern port (have this played in the good old days at home on 2 A4000/060 linked in multiplayer - anazing fun ..)
.... but ...
as ArcturusDeluxe have many times already said in the gzDoom forums Osiris original Thread - he is not an big fan of this game - and so no fun for him to make it - this should respected ...
and to make the part 2 , you would need at last the Quake1 Engine ..
IMHO was in the old days an rumors an guy have already ported the AB3D2 levels to the Quake engine (dont know in which state) - but then nothing happen more ...

Regards

Long Live T H E [|D|A|R|K^><^E|M|P|I|R|E|]

ArcturusDeluxe 
Posted on 26-Apr-2021 22:08:44
#77 ]

@Cool_amigaN

Oh wow, that's awesome about the magazine thing! 10+ pages is a lot! Be awesome if I could get a copy somehow when it comes out, even just a digital version. (Well, preferably digital actually, since I'd need it translated)

A few people mentioning multiplayer.. this isn't necessarily impossible, but GZDoom's multiplayer support is a bit undercooked and quite fiddly to get working for players. A different fork of ZDoom, Zandronum, is much better for this, but it is also behind GZDoom in terms of all the other features. Porting it to work in Zandronum is feasible but then I also have to make sure all the coding is network-friendly, and since I'm not a good coder, this would be a big task for me! I won't rule it out for a future thing, especially if GZDoom multiplayer gets improved, or Zandronum is updated, but honestly, since I don't play much multiplayer myself it's tough for me to get motivated about.

@R-TEAM

Nah, you wouldn't need Quake, GZDoom is more than capable of recreating AB3D2 decently. There is support for dynamic lights and 3D models and room-over-room and all the fancy stuff it needs. A couple of things, like the complicated group AI stuff and the strange undulating lighting effect in some rooms, might be problematic, but otherwise its pretty doable I think.

But yeah as you touched on, I'm not sure I have it in me to remake it, since I was never really a fan of it. The engine and its technical features are really cool and interesting, I just don't find it a very fun game? Even compared to the original it feels a little loose and unpolished to play. And some of those map designs are nigh unforgivable! But that's just my opinion of course.

If I did do something like this, I would probably make a new game in the same style with nods to TKG, as a sort of spiritual successor to AB3D/Project Osiris. Not sure yet though! I have ideas for a completely different game I want to do in the mean time as well. Some people on the ZDoom forums have expressed interest in a community mapping project as well, so that's a possibility too.

One thing that's definitely coming in future is a small expansion with revamped and extended versions of the demo maps - the Amiga Format demo with the green aliens, and the rolling demo that was on Amiga Action. I've already gotten a decent chunk of work done on this.

Last edited by ArcturusDeluxe on 26-Apr-2021 at 10:10 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 27-Apr-2021 20:52:42
#78 ]
Elite Member

@ArcturusDeluxe

I’m loving the music! Very atmospheric!

The addition of the bonus demo disk levels would be the icing on the cake! Deathmatch network play or even co-op would also be awesome too as I had great memories of hauling my newly accelerated 030 ‘miggy to my friend’s house for some 2-player null modem deathmatch fun! It wasn’t always clear who won with no scoring screen or anything and sometimes it would just hang at the point of death! Still, it was better than anything the SNES could muster with only cut down 1-player Doom!

It’s a shame Team17 didn’t contract you out for the remaster

Last edited by BigD on 27-Apr-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 12-May-2021 10:22:48
#79 ]

@ArcturusDeluxe

Hey mate, can you provide me with your mail so I can send you the transcript and the demo dtp we have ready?

Have sent you a pm as well :)

walkero 
Posted on 14-May-2021 16:20:13
#80 ]

@ArcturusDeluxe

I find Osiris pretty awesome. I finished the 0.7 (if I recall right) version and now I play again the latest at the hardest level. Well done.

I wanted to ask you, if you have a recommended gzdoom.ini file. I play the game on Linux and I created my own .ini file, but since you created it, I guess you might have something that can be more accurate on how you wanted this to look.

Also, I created a simple .sh file to start the game with double click, if you would like to include it in the package for the Linux users.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle