Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  40 secs ago
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 vox:  23 mins ago
 zipper:  27 mins ago
 kolla:  34 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  47 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Developer Projects Forum
      /  Blackfang, a work-in-process strategy game
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
thinkchip 
Blackfang, a work-in-process strategy game
Posted on 10-Jun-2020 19:20:56
#1 ]

I am submitting four new screenshots of my game, Blackfang. "Blackfang" refers to the name of the planet where these events occur. "Blackfang" also refers to a dangerous, semi-sentient native creature. These are Windows screenshots. The Amiga ones will look the same. The first one shows my progress with hex tiles. Thanks to Rob for referring me to some generic game hexes. This screen and the following ones show how a training center is constructed. The second screenshot shows how a teacher and students are assigned to the training center. The third screenshot shows the training center ready for students. The abilities of the crew of a vehicle or installation effect the chances of success of a mission, whatever that happens to be. That's why training is important. A farmer with high agricultural aptitude will produce more food. The last screenshot is a mockup that shows how incidents are resolved. During a game certain situations have to be resolved by the player. When a situation occurs that requires player interaction, this screen pops up. Sometimes the situation is resolved when the unit is destroyed. When a device is activated that is a weapon, the player uses a joystick to aim it. The devices available depend on how the vehicle is equipped. The screenshot shows what happens when all you have is an external camera. Devices are earned by producing, purchasing, or finding them in the game world.

The screenshots won't be available until they are okayed by the web manager. More information can be found in other posts and by finding posts about the previous name of the game, New Civ.

Profile     Report this post  
MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Re: Blackfang, a work-in-process strategy game
Posted on 11-Jun-2020 0:00:30
#2 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@thinkchip

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
I am submitting four new screenshots of my game, Blackfang. "Blackfang" refers to the name of the planet where these events occur. "Blackfang" also refers to a dangerous, semi-sentient native creature.

Friend thinkchip,

this is certain to create quite a lot of confusion! My head spins as I try to unravel this intricate conundrum.

The name of the game! A planet! A dangerous creature! All being the same. It's like as if it, say, Command & Conquer took place on the planet Command & Conquer, where you occasionally encountered the dreaded Command & Conquers, grinding their commanding/conquering teeth at you fiercely.

Quote:
More information can be found in other posts and by finding posts about the previous name of the game, New Civ.

A scarce resource!

The vast audience's thirst for more information can't be quenched by such meager collection of posts and images.

I believe I can speak for the public in demanding a website.
And a wiki!

Best regards from the House of Mical,
MEGA_RJ_MICAL

MrFrench 
Posted on 11-Jun-2020 11:31:58
#3 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

stingingly to the point .. as always MEGA_RJ_MICAL!

thinkchip 
Posted on 11-Jun-2020 13:06:09
#4 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

The screenshots are up now.

In the American Old West towns were often named after a tree. If you had an empty planet and it needed a name and it's most remarkable feature was an animal, you might name it after the animal just so it had a name.

If you are confused by the name, I'm afraid there is lots worse confusion on its way.

You're a funny guy Mical. Sadly, you appear to be my biggest and only fan.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 12-Jun-2020 0:05:55
#5 ]

@MrFrench

Friend MrFrench,

thank you for your validation.
Together we can change this fora for the better!

@Thinkchip

Friend Thinkchip,

as a connoisseur and attentive critique of your work, I have one lingering question which has long tormented me:

what in the world is the bizarre sculpture and/or machinery oh so prominently featured in your profile picture?

Warmest of all possible warm regards,
MEGA_RJ_MICAL

thinkchip 
Posted on 23-Sep-2020 1:39:52
#6 ]

@thread

It's time to check in with a progress report. I uploaded a new screen shot. As usual, it may take a while for it to be available. This is the first native OS4 screen, the others were PC screens. The Amiga version is now caught up with the PC version. I had to spend a lot of time broadening my knowledge of the Amiga NG graphics system before I could move on. When you look at the image, you'll notice some numbers. These will help me design shaded mountain tiles and they are temporary. You'll also notice a standing man tile. The man(or woman)-on-foot unit is the only one, except for aliens, that can enter mountain tiles. They can climb mountains. I'm ready to move into a new phase. I'm mostly finished with the user interface utilities. I'm going to start unit interactions. My goal is for the aliens to wipe out every human on the planet in five minutes. That's a joke sort of. The reason things are going so slow is that I have a full-time job. I work for the US Postal Service and we've been very busy. It's slowed down now. Also, in addition to my Salt Lake house, I have a second home in one of the high mountain valleys of Utah. So I have two houses and two yards to take care of.

Dragoon 
Posted on 23-Sep-2020 4:03:10
#7 ]

@thinkchip

Stupid question maybe, but where can I see the screen shots?

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 23-Sep-2020 8:59:51
#8 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@thread

The reason things are going so slow is that I have a full-time job. I work for the US Postal Service and we've been very busy. It's slowed down now. Also, in addition to my Salt Lake house, I have a second home in one of the high mountain valleys of Utah. So I have two houses and two yards to take care of.

OH NO

Please sell one of the houses. This would free up your time and on top of that YOU COULD USE THE PROCEEDINGS TO FUND DEVELOPMENT OF BLACKFANG. Did you ever consider this?

The wait is putting an unacceptable strain on our nerves.

BY THE WAY! I hope you will be extra careful with the company that will print the boxed version. Please friend thinkchip, realize that THE LACK OF THAT OH SO IMPORTANT "N" LETTER would wreck havoc on the product's reputation! (Although, on second thought, it could garner unintended popularity in some unlikely circles)

Yours in heart and soul,

MRJM,
Master Businessman, Black Fang Supporter Extraordinaire.

Rob 
Posted on 23-Sep-2020 17:39:38
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Dragoon

The latest shots aren't up yet but you'll find the rest here.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/myalbum/index.php

Last edited by Rob on 23-Sep-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Sep-2020 17:56:32
#10 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

Perhaps the aliens can spread an alien engineered COVID-19 virus that speads faster than they can say "Corona." Because they are aliens and don't know English. So it will take them over five minutes to learn.

cap 
Posted on 24-Sep-2020 6:32:40
#11 ]

All the names and faces are fictional. They look so real. :)

OS4.1 latest update.
1ghz Radeon Club3d 9250
Usb/Dma fixed.

thinkchip 
Posted on 24-Sep-2020 16:52:39
#12 ]

@cap

It's always entertaining to make fun of people's hobbies. I admire anything that anyone has worked hard on even if it's bad. I always try to find something good about bad art. I've said before this is just a hobby and I don't have a team of artists or programmers. I got the images from the internet and they appear to be public domain. All my hobbies are boring to "normal" people. I thought I'd mention that I'm working on a utility that records mouse clicks and I plan to have an introductory demo quite soon.

If any of this is interesting to one person, I'm happy. I especially appreciate negative feedback. Thanks to anyone who has left comments.

Templario 
Posted on 24-Sep-2020 17:03:25
#13 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip
You have said a big true, this is a hobby, and you have enjoy programming your own game.
The other big problem in this hobby is that web haven't graphic designers to make us free graphics for these games instead of to take pictures from Internet as only options, because the free graphics in some sites are ripped from other games.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 24-Sep-2020 17:34:28
#14 ]

@Templario

Quote:

Templario wrote:
@thinkchip
You have said a big true, this is a hobby, and you have enjoy programming your own game.
The other big problem in this hobby is that web haven't graphic designers to make us free graphics for these games instead of to take pictures from Internet as only options, because the free graphics in some sites are ripped from other games.

And some, I'll add, should even get text from the Internet.

Templario 
Posted on 24-Sep-2020 17:42:52
#15 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICA
In, what language?

Yssing 
Posted on 27-Sep-2020 13:58:39
#16 ]

@thinkchip

That looks really good, Battle Isle style strategy games are usually awesome.

Last edited by Yssing on 27-Oct-2020 at 05:12 PM.

thinkchip 
Posted on 27-Oct-2020 14:12:02
#17 ]

@thread

I haven't mentioned that a HD display with 1920 X 1080 resolution is required to run the game. This has become the standard computer display resolution. This is probably obvious from the screen shots I have posted.

My plans have changed. I'm not going to release a demo or tutorial version. That isn't a productive use of my time. I'm going to release a version with a different focus. The objective will be to capture and study baby aliens. These are cute, harmless, bunny-like things. They might not be totally harmless. They might bite. Who knows. This could become a subset of the full game. There will be certain objectives to reach. Such as building a research lab and staffing it with a certain number of scientists, headed by a highly-qualified individual. Another objective would be to build an animal containment facility headed by someone skilled at working with animals. The main objective would be to capture a certain number of baby aliens. When the objectives are accomplished the game would end with a score. There will be help screens with detailed instructions.

The actual alien capturing would happen in a new game phase. My current plans are to have the action take place in a randomly-generated maze-like setting, possibly with multiple levels. A joystick controller would be required. If the alien escapes, the operation is a failure.

There will be a lot of disabled controls, buttons that don't do anything. Sometimes this is what happens.

Last edited by thinkchip on 27-Oct-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Last edited by thinkchip on 27-Oct-2020 at 02:13 PM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 28-Oct-2020 17:21:35
#18 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@thread

I haven't mentioned that a HD display with 1920 X 1080 resolution is required to run the game. This has become the standard computer display resolution. This is probably obvious from the screen shots I have posted.

My plans have changed. I'm not going to release a demo or tutorial version. That isn't a productive use of my time. I'm going to release a version with a different focus. The objective will be to capture and study baby aliens. These are cute, harmless, bunny-like things. They might not be totally harmless. They might bite. Who knows. This could become a subset of the full game. There will be certain objectives to reach. Such as building a research lab and staffing it with a certain number of scientists, headed by a highly-qualified individual. Another objective would be to build an animal containment facility headed by someone skilled at working with animals. The main objective would be to capture a certain number of baby aliens. When the objectives are accomplished the game would end with a score. There will be help screens with detailed instructions.

The actual alien capturing would happen in a new game phase. My current plans are to have the action take place in a randomly-generated maze-like setting, possibly with multiple levels. A joystick controller would be required. If the alien escapes, the operation is a failure.

There will be a lot of disabled controls, buttons that don't do anything. Sometimes this is what happens.

OH LORD, this takes me back!

Yes it takes me back to those fizzy Sunday mornings when my father would take me to the Arcades and on the way back I would entertain him forever and ever with my ideas for this and that game, daydreams ripe with "would" and "could"!

Oh the features! The mechanics! The visuals!
My father listened to my ramblings in silence, eyes rolling in his mind not to hurt my tender feelings.

Of course nothing of that ever took form, and thing would completely change from Sunday to Sunday. I was just a child, my friends, who else would do that after all?

OH LORD, does this take me back!

MEGA RJM

Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 28-Oct-2020 at 05:22 PM.

thinkchip 
Posted on 11-Dec-2021 15:01:05
#19 ]

@thinkchip

I downloaded a demo of basic game operation on OS4 Depot. I call it Camp Uncanny now.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 11-Dec-2021 15:05:00
#20 ]

BLACKFANG IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THINKCHIP NOW TALKS TO HIMSELF

MANY, MANY MERRY CHRISTMASES AHEAD MY FRIENDS

(mega)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle