Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  4 hrs 34 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 56 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 59 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  automatic ngfcheck
Register To Post

PosterThread
Amiguy 
automatic ngfcheck
Posted on 29-Sep-2021 16:58:09
#1 ]

Hi all,

After a big hard drive malfunction on my x5000, I experienced the ngfcheck command, an equivalent of chkdsk on Windows and fsck on Linux. ngfcheck works wonderfully and saved me more than once, but I think the command is never executed automatically if a hard drive has a problem.

If this is confirmed, it would surely be interesting to write a script that would run right after a crash.

If you have ideas, advice, proposals ...

Amiga Forever 7 Plus Edition which emulates AmigaOS4.1 FE Classic

AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE

Profile     Report this post  
paolone 
Re: automatic ngfcheck
Posted on 29-Sep-2021 17:02:22
#2 ]

@Amiguy

You may try to detect specific fs-related errors coming from the OS and flag a environment variable to true. Then, you add to user-startup (or even better at the beginning of the startup-sequence) some lines to

1. check if the variable is set to true
2. launch the command
3. set the variable again to false, to prevent further running of the command

the daemon that detects the error should run always run in background.

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Sep-2021 16:43:40
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Amiguy

I doubt a filesystem would run a checker on problems. And on the Amiga at least, a filesystem lauching a CLI command is a bit crass. It should be built into the code or at least a function built into the OS.

FFS even has a cache early on in the OS4 days. But you had to activate it with CLI commands. So it was hacky and not user friendly at all.

I would suggest to be careful with your data. The X5000 is the only OS4 machine I know of with NGFS in public use. You are practically using a beta version of a filesystem. It's still in development. Not even the last big OS4 update has it.

A bad filesystem used to be invalidated. NGFS would use a different system. So one way was to check for a valid volume at boot. SetPatch can delay boot if a FFS is corrupted. But right after crash is hard as you would need to know it crashed. I'm not aware of any events manager you can hook in to run a script. These ideas are too advanced for OS4.

tonyw 
Posted on 1-Oct-2021 23:20:28
#4 ]
Elite Member

Salut Amiguy,

Glad to hear you are using NGFS and NGFCheck on your X5000. As the author, I use only NGFS on all my Amigas (of course).

As someone said above, there is no means of "remembering" that you had a crash last time, when the system is rebooted. As the system crashes, it can no longer be relied on to write down "I'm dying!! ARRRGGGHHH!!".

NGFS does check its journalling status on startup and if the journalling process is incomplete, it will finish it off as best it can. The best I could do would be to raise a requester if the journalling has to be completed, something that suggests to the user that it would be a good idea to run NGFCheck. I'll put it on my Enhancements list.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Amiguy 
Posted on 2-Oct-2021 18:34:57
#5 ]

@paolone

Yes, I had imagined such a scenario. On reflection, the case still seems to me a little more complicated. The processing can take quite a long time. We should leave the possibility of not executing it by informing the user by a message. Also, depending on the severity of the incident, I am concerned that the automated processing may make the situation worse. It deserves careful consideration...

AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE

Amiguy 
Posted on 2-Oct-2021 18:46:22
#6 ]

@Hypex

Indeed, you confirm that the operation is not a walk in the park. My AmigaOne x5000 was delivered to me formatted and operational with NGFS. I've been using it on all my hard drives since 2017 and have never actually had a particular problem. In addition, it is not easy to change the file system of two 500 GB disks.

On the other hand, the problems with memory, graphics card and sound card were huge and made me crash the device very frequently. Today, it's getting better. Thanks to the driver of the Sound Blaster Audigy card, everything calmed down. For the graphics card also since I bought the driver... at a gold price. In short, you have to bleed to be satisfied, but the pleasure begins to come...

Amiguy 
Posted on 2-Oct-2021 18:52:29
#7 ]

@tonyw

Salut mon cher Tony

Thank you for your reply. When everything is going well, we do not ask ourselves this kind of question. It is only when trouble begins that ideas come...

Despite the hesitations of some users, I will keep NGFS which, as far as I am concerned, has proven itself.

tonyw 
Posted on 3-Oct-2021 23:07:47
#8 ]
Elite Member

Salut Amiguy,

I can understand the "hesitation" of some users. The only version of NGFS that has so far been released to any users is a very old beta version that you have. Obviously the FS has advanced since then and these days is a mature product.

When it will see the light of day is another matter...

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle