Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

t0lkien

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  22 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  35 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 Comi:  4 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Should I sell my AmigaONE X1000?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Should I sell my X1000?
Yes
No
Why ask us, only you know
Pancakes

PosterThread
agami 
Re: Should I sell my AmigaONE X1000?
Posted on 13-Dec-2021 0:13:39
#21 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
A-EON refuses to recognize what users actually want -- which wouldn't be so bad, except that they effectively control most of the developer community. Hyperion controls nothing at all, no real leadership, and the damned lawsuit....

What have you done with the real eliyahu?

Profile     Report this post  
klx300r 
Posted on 13-Dec-2021 1:38:46
#22 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

if you can't fix it to enjoy using it then sell it to someone who can fix it and enjoy it

Last edited by klx300r on 13-Dec-2021 at 01:39 AM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

amigang 
Posted on 13-Dec-2021 16:49:27
#23 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

That’s kinda my thinking, if I can fix the issue this time and get back to a fairly stable system, I keep it, but if I either can’t/cost to much to get repaired then I think I might sell it.

outlawal2 
Posted on 13-Dec-2021 21:21:48
#24 ]

@amigang

First thing I would try is removing the memory chips and replace one at a time probably swapping them to the opposite slots.

See if the issue remain and if they do...

Then I would buy a new SSD and new cables and rebuild the system from scratch and see if that fixes the issue. I would probably buy a new overkill PSU as well. These items aren't huge expenses and are the parts that usually cause issues. Hell maybe even replace the memory as none of these items are hugely expensive.

If after all of those steps have been performed you still have the same issues then it may be a mainboard issue and then you have to decide how much hassle you are willing to continue to live with.

My opinion is that once you paid what you did for the original machine then swapping parts out should not be a problem as you want to maximize your investment and a crashing system that makes you unhappy is useless..

amigang 
Posted on 14-Dec-2021 12:20:10
#25 ]
Elite Member

@outlawal2
so i did break down my problem and my current workflow of trying to fix it here
https://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4755

Quote:
so been enjoying my x1000 again recently, but I did get the odd crash or what seemed corruted files, anywho, thought it was about time I open up the old girl give it a good clean to see if it fixed the issue, it did'nt, it made it WORST :shock:

So at first I got no boot sceen...nothing, rechecked every connection, nothing.

saw three led lights, so thought, might of move or hit the CMOS battery, (even though I did'nt remove it for the clean) anywho, nothing, then replace the CMOS battery, now I get a boot screen

But then it takes me to command line, and complains about lack of memory, "Failed to load amigaboot.of: Insufficient memory"

so played about with SATA connections, if I put HDD to SATA2 and CD Drive to SATA1, I get a little further, up to the OS boot menu, but on selection, I then get a bunch of error message say this or that is missing to the point it just locks up. then second boot up, Im back to "Failed to load amigaboot.of: Insufficient memory".

Tried the remove RAM on one side trick, do you think I need a new SATA cable and HARDIVE? I was thinking about getting a SSD for the machine, start with a fresh install, do you think that would fix it?

Why does a simple clean where I barely touch the dam things can brick the system, never had a computer where moving a SATA cable seem so sensitive, and so many of the Troubleshooting tips seem to be about SATA. did Varisys cheap out?.

So i order some new SATA cables, Air Can to blow out any dust, a BR2023 coin battery that apparently are better. try this out, if that fails, i will try and get some new Ram sticks to try.

I put the OS4.1FE disk in just to see if it will boot from that.

If all the above fails then I will need help. Im not likely to get around to really doing this until the new year now anyway, as this time of year my work time goes nuts.

PS: thanks for the interest and offers for X1000 nice to know it is in demand. one of the small reason I want to keep it, is knowing its such a rare computer. I do like OS4 (yes even over amikit xe) when it works, just worry about the future of the platform being stuck on PPC and the whole A-EON vs OS4 team that seem to be happing.

Last edited by amigang on 14-Dec-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 14-Dec-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Dec-2021 15:38:46
#26 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Just thought I'd chip in. Earlier on in the year my X1000 started displaying symptoms you describe. In my case it was a random crash on boot when AmigaBoot loaded Kickstart. Sometimes I could reset and it worked next boot. Sometimes it crashed while I was working on Workbench. At one time I got it stable by moving ram to opposite slot or even swapping with a spare stick. These were not solutions.

It had one bad week where I really needed to fix it. The battery went so I replaced it. Good for a few days. I had clipped sata cables I bought prior and it was time to install them. Somewhere along the line I had also purchased some RAM as I long suspected RAM issues. So I was prepared to replace major items. I replaced sata cables and also replaced ram. I bought 8GB to have some spares in future and for now put 4GB in.

My X1000 became stable right after. Clean boots. No strange HD R/W errors. So, good luck. Yes the X1000 buyers market is as dry as a nerd on a hot chick dating site and people are still interested in these machines. But I hope you can get it going again for your personal use as I can see you would like too.

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Dec-2021 at 01:22 PM.

HammerD 
Posted on 15-Dec-2021 0:29:45
#27 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

I would keep it. Check the "easy" things you can check as others have mentioned. Power Supply, Ram, coin battery. The X1000 is kind of rare,
it doesn't appear many were made, and it is a very decent system. The
PA Semi CPU is pretty fast and it has Altivec which is a bonus.

I have an X1000 and it has been problem free. The only downsides to the
system is that the onboard ethernet driver never materialized and the firmware needs an update to support the latest Radeon cards to take full advantage of the new 3D Stuff in the Enhancer package. I hope both of those features eventually come out.

Otherwise my X1000 is fast and stable. I still enjoy using mine! I hope you
can get yours stable.

agami 
Posted on 15-Dec-2021 4:14:08
#28 ]

@HammerD

Yeah, I remember the last time I bought something that 10 years later I was still hoping for updates to unlock features.

Oh wait. I've never actually done that.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 15-Dec-2021 15:12:01
#29 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

"and the firmware needs an update to support the latest Radeon cards"

You should need new CFE, you just cant see CFE while booting on monitor.
(Well maybe from putty).

The newest Radeon HD card will also get support hardware decoding video, so maybe we don't need RX cards.

No game on AmigaOS needs the newest graphic card.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 15-Dec-2021 16:25:49
#30 ]
Elite Member

Since games with advanced features are coming out soon, like Blackfag, I recommend keeping your X1000 for now. The fun is just beginning.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 15-Dec-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Nonefornow 
Posted on 15-Dec-2021 18:01:42
#31 ]

@amigang

I am going to vote Yes.

Given the reasons that you have listed, and the fact that it appears as if other people maybe interested in your Amiga, go ahead and get rid of it.

amigang 
Posted on 1-Jan-2022 12:52:00
#32 ]
Elite Member

So I said I wouldn’t have time to look at until next year, with new sata cables, battery, really careful clean, it’s all working again!

So not quite ready to leave os4 yet, just got es2.1 see how that all plays out, may get dvplayer if I make a bit of money on my eBay stuff I’m going be selling, see how this year plays out for os4 market and how reliable my system is this year Will be all factor as to weather a remain a os4 user, but for now happy to be a os4 users again.

mbrantley 
Posted on 1-Jan-2022 21:07:20
#33 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

I’ve had this same conversation with myself several times this past year. In the end I’ve decided to keep on keeping on, although I don’t use my OS4 machines super often like before. But I’ll want more than I can get for selling. So I’ll keep them and use them when I want. Not intending to invest much in this ecosystem going forward, since there are other areas of Amiga activity that are holding my interest these days.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle