Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 171 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AndreasM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  45 secs ago
 DiscreetFX:  25 mins ago
 Hypex:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  42 mins ago
 Gunnar:  54 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Why is Haiku OS so well organized?
Register To Post

PosterThread
QBit 
Why is Haiku OS so well organized?
Posted on 19-Feb-2022 17:58:30
#1 ]

And the Amiga Scene with it's much bigger User Base such a mess?

Anarchist Research Operating System! AROS!

Antichrist Research Operating System! AROS!

Last edited by QBit on 19-Feb-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
sTix 
Re: Why is Haiku OS so well organized?
Posted on 19-Feb-2022 18:14:32
#2 ]

@QBit

I think you have the answer right there. There's a strong correlation between the number of broken glasses and the number of guests at a party. You invited the wrong crowd if there's no such correlation.

QBit 
Posted on 19-Feb-2022 18:39:22
#3 ]

@sTix

This is the Hymn to all Amigans cooking their own Soup instead of organizing themselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RibfuH4yF04

Tested Haiku OS 64 Bit beta 3 on 4 Machines.. runs on none

Last edited by QBit on 19-Feb-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Last edited by QBit on 19-Feb-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Last edited by QBit on 19-Feb-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Last edited by QBit on 19-Feb-2022 at 06:41 PM.

agami 
Posted on 21-Feb-2022 2:45:33
#4 ]

@QBit

These two can only be superficially compared. There are vast differences between them which directly and indirectly correlate with their present day predicaments.

This is why I said I would pay someone to port Haiku/ppc to the X5000. Just to get away from the vultures.
Of course an AROS port to X5000 would be better, but as you said, the Haiku OS community is much more organized.

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-Feb-2022 8:36:34
#5 ]
Elite Member

@agami

all these nonsense here who is better organized... you would need that if there would be a bigger team behind it. In a (for me) perfect world all the devs who are involved in the different platform would contribute to Aros. Then we would indeed need real project management. At least at the main branch there are only few developer contributing, additionally there is apolloos. For that you do not need lots of management, you need more developers. The basic problem on X86 always was and is driver support and uptodate software like webbrowsers. That is simply impossible to do on niche systems, whatever the organizations is. For me Deadwoods project to use linux as base and add aros (amiga) environment on it is the most realistic plan. Everything else only can fail in my view.

And who in this world would need Haiku on X5000?

Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-Feb-2022 at 09:08 AM.

agami 
Posted on 22-Feb-2022 2:10:51
#6 ]

@OlafS25
I agree with everything you wrote, especially the leveraging of Linux kernel/drivers as a base for a modern Amiga-like experience.

Also, no one "needs" Haiku on X5000. I'd just love to see it is all.

kolla 
Posted on 22-Feb-2022 11:32:30
#7 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

all these nonsense here who is better organized... you would need that if there would be a bigger team behind it. In a (for me) perfect world all the devs who are involved in the different platform would contribute to Aros.

And why don't they?

I remember seeing Haiku stands at various open source conferences, I keep seeing Haiku referred to in patches to various software, I see Haiku developers working together with NetBSD developers and FreeBSD developers of various stuff... to sum it up - the Haiku community at large are engaged in FOSS development. AROS is an isolated island in FOSS world, chained to legacy misfeatures and legal obstacles.

If one at least could get rid of the legal obstacles, so that truly ANYONE, free of risk can contribute code - even if they are involved in "official" AmigaOS development, or have "seen" the AmigaOS sources... and components and code could be shared between AROS and AmigaOS... only then may it be possible to truly move forward with both AmigaOS and AROS, and they could merge and become one.

But... too many hardheaded egos, too much emotion invested in pointless drama, and noone is getting any younger.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Feb-2022 15:00:31
#8 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
If one at least could get rid of the legal obstacles, so that truly ANYONE, free of risk can contribute code - even if they are involved in "official" AmigaOS development, or have "seen" the AmigaOS sources... and components and code could be shared between AROS and AmigaOS... only then may it be possible to truly move forward with both AmigaOS and AROS, and they could merge and become one.

Why would they do that? AROS is a copy of AmigaOS. Why would anyone with the actual AmigaOS source code from the days of OS3 merge the offical code with a copy? That would polute it. Mind you old code would eventually need replacing anyway. But I don't see merging AmigaOS with a cover version as a realistic prospect.

Look at the System 54 project. Purporting to copy OS4. By all accounts they should be using AROS code. After all the end result will be a copy of OS4 components. Right now Enhancer has copies of OS4 components. It's going to take years to copy the whole thing. And then they will need to make their own NGFS for it to be complete.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 24-Feb-2022 21:25:26
#9 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:

I remember seeing Haiku stands at various open source conferences, I keep seeing Haiku referred to in patches to various software, I see Haiku developers working together with NetBSD developers and FreeBSD developers of various stuff... to sum it up - the Haiku community at large are engaged in FOSS development. AROS is an isolated island in FOSS world, chained to legacy misfeatures and legal obstacles.

You can't share much of AROS kernel development with BSD as you can't share Haiku kernel with with AROS or Linux either.

But you can share some of the application development between those OSes.

Games under SDL ( I believe we need SDL2 on AROS ) and even some 3D games on AROS where ported from other OSS systems to AROS, it's a shame we have so little applications under AROS that could be ported back to Haiku or BSD.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 24-Feb-2022 22:29:23
#10 ]
Cult Member

@QBit

Quote:

QBit wrote:
And the Amiga Scene with it's much bigger User Base such a mess?

Anarchist Research Operating System! AROS!

Antichrist Research Operating System! AROS!

Well you can mock AROS, but it is the only OSS based OS the 'Amiga scene' has and they poorly support it.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle