Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  20 mins ago
 pixie:  39 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 6 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 12 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Don't "rainbow-wash" me bro!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: Don't "rainbow-wash" me bro!
Posted on 12-Jun-2022 18:43:43
#121 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:
eg return (a|0) - (b|0);

That works, but I'd probably do something like return parseInt(a) - b; just so the next guy can figure it out.

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Posted on 12-Jun-2022 18:52:11
#122 ]
Elite Member

@GadgetMaster

Quote:
We keep complaining about big corps and banks yet we continue to use their products and services like good little sheep.

Or working for them. That's the nice thing about being self-employed -- I never have any "diversity" seminars.

Last edited by bison on 12-Jun-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Karlos 
Posted on 12-Jun-2022 18:58:06
#123 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@bison

You used parseInt() without specifying the number base, which is a rookie mistake. Also, parseInt() returns Number, which is essentially a double. The result of a bitwise logical operation is, at least internally, an integer. Having said that I'm sure that as soon as you use the immediate result with an arithmetic operator like subtraction, it'll probably be munged back into a double.

I used to think PHPs type system was about as stupid as it is possible to get without trying, but JavaScript's is actually worse. Worse perhaps than what you might even manage if creating an intentionally moronic scheme was your actual goal.

Just use something typesafe and compile it to web assembly. The sooner JS is gone, the better the world will be.

Last edited by Karlos on 12-Jun-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Last edited by Karlos on 12-Jun-2022 at 06:59 PM.

Karlos 
Posted on 12-Jun-2022 19:00:55
#124 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
JAVASCRIPT PADDING

Ah, leftpad. The dependency that broke the intarwebs.

bison 
Posted on 12-Jun-2022 22:55:03
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

I'm glad you pointed that out, because I have some code out there that calls parseInt without specifying a base. I do very little Javascript programming nowadays. Maybe that's why I don't hate it.

Update: I guess I haven't been using parseInt without a base. All the code I checked is using Number instead. In most cases I was trying to force addition instead of string concatenation.

Last edited by bison on 13-Jun-2022 at 04:25 PM.

Karlos 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 8:20:03
#126 ]
Elite Member

@bison

People love JS becaue it's so easy to get started with. If you're already a developer, especially one from a more strongly typed background, it makes you cringe. Over the years issues have been addressed by adding new syntax because the installed codebase rks too large to "fix" anything without breaking an untold number of systems. Web assembly shows some promise at least, since it allows development in a range of languages. However, as with all such advances, uptake will be slow.

FWIW, when JS is used to simply enhance a webpage it's okayish (provided it's done well and without a gazillion dependencies). It gets bad as the page begins to to require JS to function and it's gone on a one way ticket to eternal damnation once the server side moves to JS also.

Karlos 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 9:47:25
#127 ]
Elite Member

I wonder what message I send these days should I wear my kickstart 2 purple T shirt with the rainbow filled double checkmark on it...

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 11:09:22
#128 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

As previously stated the LGBTQ+ "we're defined by what we do with our sexual organs" brigade do not have dibs on the rainbow! It is a Christian/Yaweh's symbol of hope and reassurance, and on that basis the Amiga Kickstart Double Checkmark Tick is well chosen i.e. everything is A-OK as Amiga is in 'da house!

Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 11:10 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 11:20:10
#129 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Not that I think anyone should 'own' a month, but seeing as Her Majesty the Queen has asked us to honour her by considering living our lives for Christ in the message delivered by the Archbishop of York last week, then I think the flag below is more relevant during THIS year's June personally!

Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 11:20 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 11:23:44
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Grow some (Boing) balls, slap a proper 7-colour rainbow on a T-Shirt (yes I know it's an interpretation of a prismatic range of colours) and celebrate something worth celebrating this June! i.e. Jesus fulfilling the required sacrifice for ALL sin (not just sexual sin) depicted by the dove in Noah's account!

P.S. Remember lust is considered adultery in God's eyes and we've NO right to consider LGBTQ+ activities worse than late night Babestation or checking out the neighbour's wife. We've ALL fallen short in this area it's just not many would celebrate 'Lust Month 2022' I assume they'd just get on with it in their private lives ignoring their conscience and pretending Jesus was just a good man who died for nothing in particular despite the fact he claimed something quite different!

Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 11:27 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 12:00:19
#131 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

... and He said clearly and with no interpretation required:

Quote:
Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins”

(Hebrews 9:22)

I guess that's why the concept of 'pride' is such a toxic concept in Western culture. We can without conceit have pride in doing what is right in God's sight (because it pleases Him but not even that is done in our own strength but in cooperation with the working of the Holy Spirit or the fact he has made us in His image to value justice and goodness). 'Pride' in almost anything else is a disaster as it breeds a self righteous indignation that can lead to an untouchable self delusion that we can do no wrong and everyone must embrace and accept everything that we do all the time without fail whether it's for good or I'll or it's considered a personal attack on our character! This is obviously a lie as our identity is only in Jesus or it is defined as an absence of a relationship with Him.... and that is NOT something anyone should be 'proud' of as He's our only hope to make atonement for our sinful state.

Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Karlos 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 12:28:01
#132 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

So... Is that a call to violence? Only I prefer to do my blood letting at the local donation services centre. They have tea and biscuits after.

Last edited by Karlos on 13-Jun-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Bosanac 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 12:56:01
#133 ]

Quote:
by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 14:00:19

@Thread

Quote:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.” - Mark 12:31-32

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 14:11:59
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Just as the dove in Noah's account represented the sacrificial 'shedding of blood' pre-Jesus, Jesus is speaking about how the wages of sin is death and required HIS death to atone for the world's sins.

No amount of loving (heterosexual or otherwise ) is going to achieve what Jesus did on the cross and in His resurrection 3 days later.

Therefore, no holy crusade is required and no cuddly 'all you need is love' and "don't worry about hell man!" tambourine waving John Lennon-like Christian wannabees need listening to but simply a belief that:

1) God loves you,
2) You have sinned,
3) Jesus (had to) die for your sin and was prepared to and ...
4) You need to decide to live for God and not for self.

Sounds easy but we tend to want our own way and prefer religion (ritual and trying to work your way to God) and debate (disregarding that belief in Jesus is by faith alone) rather than to actually trust and obey.

Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 02:14 PM.

Karlos 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 16:14:07
#135 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Thread

Quote:

Like seriously, this, as you have written it, reads as a call to physical violence. I'm pretty sure that here in the UK we have laws against incitement.

bison 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 16:18:51
#136 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:
If you're already a developer, especially one from a more strongly typed background, it makes you cringe.

You probably already know this, but in the interest of keeping this completely off-topic Javascript sub-thread going, I should point out that keywords char, int, double, etc. were in early versions of the ECMAScript spec, reserved for future use, but these have since been removed, so there's no hope that the JS type system will get better in the future.

Last edited by bison on 13-Jun-2022 at 04:29 PM.

bison 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 16:28:14
#137 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
RECLAIM THE RAINBOW

I'm all for that.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 16:50:31
#138 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

During the Christian sacrament of Communion the following verse is read:

Quote:
“This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you”

(Luke 22:20 - NIV Version)

Other translations say "shed".

KJV Version
Quote:
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying,This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Sorry, I know we didn't all get "churched" so I apologise I honestly didn't think it was ambiguous. I am not advocating a holy war although the spiritual war for the individual human soul (not yet "born again") is ongoing; never better illustrated than from the demons' perspective in CS Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.

Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 04:51 PM.

GadgetMaster 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 16:51:42
#139 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Nobody owns the rainbow so nobody can claim or reclaim it. Just because one group has decided to use it doesn’t mean it’s theirs.

Btw, Jesus didn’t die, he ascended. Neither is he God’s son. That’s idolatry. God is one. He has no partners nor offspring nor was He born. His teachings were corrupted by deviants with an agenda. He never claimed divinity. Everything he did was with the permission of God. Everyone will be accountable for their actions. There’s no get out clause. God is just. He doesn’t punish you for the sins of others. That’s unjust.

What was the topic again?

“we will leave you alone.
provided that you leave us alone” (The Early Bird 1965 starring Norman Wisdom)

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Karlos

Just as the dove in Noah's account represented the sacrificial 'shedding of blood' pre-Jesus, Jesus is speaking about how the wages of sin is death and required HIS death to atone for the world's sins.

No amount of loving (heterosexual or otherwise ) is going to achieve what Jesus did on the cross and in His resurrection 3 days later.

Therefore, no holy crusade is required and no cuddly 'all you need is love' and "don't worry about hell man!" tambourine waving John Lennon-like Christian wannabees need listening to but simply a belief that:

1) God loves you,
2) You have sinned,
3) Jesus (had to) die for your sin and was prepared to and ...
4) You need to decide to live for God and not for self.

Sounds easy but we tend to want our own way and prefer religion (ritual and trying to work your way to God) and debate (disregarding that belief in Jesus is by faith alone) rather than to actually trust and obey.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2022 17:45:50
#140 ]
Elite Member

@GadgetMaster

Romans 3:10

Quote:
Amplified Bible
As it is written and forever remains written, “THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS [none that meets God’s standard], NOT EVEN ONE.

You won't be judged for the sins of others but apathy to plight of the vulnerable would need repentance. In addition, since no one is considered to measure up to God's standards and everyone if they're honest has broken the 10 Commandments, what hope have you if not for Jesus' atonement?

In addition, the Trinity IS a Biblical doctrine (though not named specifically it is clear that Yaweh is both one AND three) Also, yes, Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, the Jewish authorities were very clear as to what he was claiming and it was the reason they wanted in him killed, inadvertently fulfilling prophesies contained in the Old Testament that they didn't understand as they were foolishly waiting for an all powerful warrior to overthrow the Romans rather than an ultimate spiritual victory over sin and death through a sacrificial lamb! Amazing that God used all that to work His good purposes DESPITE humanity's fallen sinful nature!

Yes, no one owns the rainbow but since defining yourself by what you do with your private parts is absurd especially in a era of equal opportunity for talented individuals who are trying to use the more practical parts of their body for good whatever their background, creed or chromosomes they possess, I think it defaults back to Yaweh!

Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Jun-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle