Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  36 mins ago
 Gunnar:  51 mins ago
 Rob:  56 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Some electrical questions about x5000
Register To Post

PosterThread
OldFart 
Some electrical questions about x5000
Posted on 4-Jan-2023 12:50:53
#1 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

Hi,

I'm measuring the voltages on my x5000 board near the battery and have these figures (from rear to front):
5VDD 1.042
3V3X 3.35
XVDD 1.809
CPLD 3.36
VTT 0.735
XREF 1.815
1003 1.490
VCB 1.090
1v2E 1.201
VDD-PL 1.050
VCA 1.100
LVDD 2.496
5VSB 5.06
1V 0.851
2V5PEX 2.493
1VPEX 1.002

Especially the top one, labeled 5VDD, seems a bit on the low side as the label itself indicates it should read about 5Volts.

Could this be an indication the PSU might be broken?
The computer won't boot, shows no bootscreen.
This after the computer refused to execute User-Startup (December 29).
This is due to a particular partition with a Startup-file of its own which seems to be broken. Booting whilst keeping Ctrl pressed did not work: it just performed its sequence until that particular file had to be processed.
So I inserted the Boot CD, but this made the computer crash right after all modules were loaded from CD, time and time again. I first replaced the clockbattery, reseated the memorymodule, videocard and SATA-card, all for naught. And all this was first caused when writing a file to disk that made the computer hang (uh-oh!).
The partition in question is my 'Development'-partition and yes, that one has plagued me nearly two-and-a-half year now by crashing. I had just about recovered from its previous crash somewhere in November. On all drives together I think I now have more broken partitions then can be counted on the digits of a pair of polydactyle hands and they have kept me busy for said period, indiscriminate to what filesystem was in use.

Anyone familiar with the voltages mentioned? And could PSU indeed be faulty?

Regards
OldFart

(my New Year's eve was quite good, thank you!)

Profile     Report this post  
tonyw 
Re: Some electrical questions about x5000
Posted on 5-Jan-2023 22:26:52
#2 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Have you measured the voltages on the 24-pin PSU connector? If one of the 5V supplies is down to 1V, there must be something wrong!

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

OldFart 
Posted on 18-Jan-2023 12:15:33
#3 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

So last week I ordered myself a new PSU and as my X5k was sporting a (semi-)modular 450Watt Corsair-thingy, I went to get me a Corsair one again as this would due to the modularity of its cabling, give me the least work: out with the old and in with the new, a 750Watt fully modular (RM750x) one as I had a number of HD's built into the system.
This only left me with the 24-pin cable to be replaced as that was the non-modular part of the old CPU. Today it arrived, I unpacked it and put it in place, hooked it up to the existing cablery, plugged in the new shiny white sleeved 24-pin CPU lead at both its ends(!), plugged the mainslead in, again at both ends and set the switch at the back of the new PSU (a white one this time!) from 0 to 1 and lo! and behold, a familiar green led and a red one instantly lit up. Sooo far sooo good.
Now push the computer's main button... And yes more LEDs turn on, disks start spinning, the CPU's fan likewise...
... and then all of a sudden everything shuts down again with the two familar looking LEDs still burning, but now another one joins the party in a flashing meanor: "MCU Error" is what I gleaned from the documentation. So back to square 1 I suspect.

Think I'll contact Matthew Leaman about this. I'm not in any kind of hurry as I've already lost quite some time.

Thought I let you know.

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 19-Jan-2023 10:29:56
#4 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:
but now another one joins the party in a flashing meanor: "MCU Error" is what I gleaned from the documentation
Well, this apeared to be an easy one: after some accidental inspection it came to light that the lid of the SD-card retainer was a bit lifted up. I don't know if this type of SD-card retainer is still being applied in current releases of the Cyrrus board or that has been opted for the push-in, push-out style in later production. Mine opens like the boot of a car and has not a noticable 'close' feel/latch. Flimsy, to say the least, but alas, I got a developers release of the board with my name printed on the backside in the silkscreen and THAT sure accounts for something, doesn't it?

Only thing now is that after loading the CD, the kernel crashes. Now see how I can circumvent this issue.

I'll keep you informed! But I'm not in much of a hurry...

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 19-Jan-2023 10:50:15
#5 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

For sake of completeness I've measured the voltages supplied by my old PSU after shorting the green wire to a black one on the 24-pin connector:

Orange 3.37
Red 5.12
Yellow 12.14
Purple 5.08
Grey 5.07
Blue -12.43

So, not that much wrong there. But now I have a white PSU, with a nice mix of (old) black leads and (new) white ones and I think that looks THE thing!

OldFart

Hammer 
Posted on 20-Jan-2023 4:37:19
#6 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

I ditched my 2017 era Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000 watts PSU (SSR-1000PD aCTIVE PFC F3) and replaced it with Corsair HX1000 1000 watts PSU due to power-transient issues with MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080 Ti (overclocked from the factory).

SSR-1000PD PSU couldn't keep up with MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080 Ti's power demands from idle to high activity.

Related issue from
https://einsteinathome.org/content/seasonic-prime-psu-shutdowns-rtx-30x0-and-rx-6xxx-series-gpus

I don't think AmigaOS 4.1 has support for high-end AMD GPU cards such as Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT or RX 7900 XT/XTX.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle