Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 49 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott,  cdimauro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  35 secs ago
 cdimauro:  4 mins ago
 Rob:  29 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 tekmage:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Livebyfaith:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 45 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 54 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Atari acquires AtariAge & now Intellivision brand
Register To Post

PosterThread
number6 
Atari acquires AtariAge & now Intellivision brand
Posted on 10-Sep-2023 16:38:26
#1 ]
Elite Member

@all

Although there are numerous threads and vids discussing this, I'll just link to the owner's comments so you can get the general idea:

AtariAge + Atari

Last edited by number6 on 27-May-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 27-May-2024 at 03:16 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
TiredofLife 
Re: Atari acquires AtariAge
Posted on 10-Sep-2023 19:39:47
#2 ]

@number6

Never thought I'd see the day this heretic nonsense would be posted here.
Some of us have abstained from all the next gen vs classic, AOS4, vsAros vs Morphos wars.
That's because we remember who the real enemy are.

Hang your head in shame.

number6 
Posted on 10-Sep-2023 20:38:17
#3 ]
Elite Member

@TiredofLife

Heh!

What is somewhat amusing is the fact that Atari PR is extremely active in the longest thread, and answering almost every question thrown at them.

However, 2 platforms mentioned in the thread that neither the site owner or the Atari PR employee have dared to comment on...are their 2 age old "friends"....Intellivision and Amiga.

Also interesting was they are expressing some of the same concerns that we saw here, when both Amigaworld.net and Amiga.org were acquired by another entity. Well, it's hard to believe, but it's been about 9 years now since that event and our Amiga websites haven't collapsed and closed just yet.

eliyahu 
Posted on 10-Sep-2023 21:30:57
#4 ]

@number6

Quote:
Also interesting was they are expressing some of the same concerns that we saw here, when both Amigaworld.net and Amiga.org were acquired by another entity. Well, it's hard to believe, but it's been about 9 years now since that event and our Amiga websites haven't collapsed and closed just yet.

No, but they are shadows of their former selves, although whether that reflects the lack of moderation or just lack of interest as things have slowed, I have no idea.

-- eliyahu

matthey 
Posted on 11-Sep-2023 1:18:30
#5 ]
Elite Member

#6 Quote:

What is somewhat amusing is the fact that Atari PR is extremely active in the longest thread, and answering almost every question thrown at them.

Active Atari fans are high probability potential customers of Atari Inc. hardware like the new Atari VCS (why not VCS+?) and Atari 2600+. This is probably why Atari Inc. is obtaining AtariAge. What I don't understand is the financial health of Atari Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari,_Inc._(1993%E2%80%93present)

They already brought out the Atari VCS (10,000+ units sold?) which they have been supporting for a couple of years, they are planning the Atari 2600+, one video mentioned they have about 25 staff members and they are buying up AtariAge possibly adding another so they have funding. They appear to be the previous GT Interactive Software Corp which made tens of millions of dollars on games development but they are a subsidiary of the French Atari SA now which doesn't look so healthy.

Atari SA French listing
https://www.google.com/finance/quote/ALATA:EPA

Atari SA U.S. listing
https://www.google.com/finance/quote/PONGF:OTCMKTS

It looks like Atari Inc. was planning to be listed on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol ATAR but it never happened?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari,_Inc._(1993%E2%80%93present)#cite_note-infinc-1

The ATAR ticker symbol is a different business perhaps replacing the previous listing which usually remains in the Google finance list after a business has disappeared. The Commodore listing is still there even though they went bankrupt before Google began in 1996.

Commodore International Ltd
https://www.google.com/finance/quote/CBUIF:OTCMKTS

Both Atari SA and Commodore are listed as OTC (Over The Counter) because the stock price is not high enough to be listed on major U.S. stock exchanges.

#6 Quote:

However, 2 platforms mentioned in the thread that neither the site owner or the Atari PR employee have dared to comment on...are their 2 age old "friends"....Intellivision and Amiga.

Atari seems to be in better shape than Intellivision with Amico and the lawsuit hell of the Amiga. It's funny that Cloanto gets blamed in the thread for holding the retro Amiga hostage by obtaining ownership of the Amiga IP. Somebody is going to own the IP and it is no different than what Atari Inc. has done to buy the brand and reassemble the IP.

#6 Quote:

From my quick skimming, it looked like people were complaining more about cheap emulation instead of real hardware from Atari Inc. Modern retro hardware has a fine line between retro exploitation and respectful homage and preservation. THEA500 Mini managed the tightrope walk with emulation even though they wanted better hardware. I'm not sure the Atari VCS is anymore attractive than any other x86-64 PC in an Atari case with Atari emulation installed. It should have the performance to emulate both 68k and PPC Amigas with more performance and a lower cost than real AmigaNOne PPC hardware. Maybe Atari really should buy the Amiga like someone in the AtariAge thread suggested. Jay Miner is the father of both the Atari and Amiga hardware which is now reduced to emulation for both.

number6 
Posted on 16-Sep-2023 22:14:19
#6 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

I am a bit surprised that the thread on AA has reached 62 pages and shows no sign of ending any time soon, although the topic has drifted into C= ownership.

Apparently retro is still a thing.

matthey 
Posted on 17-Sep-2023 22:14:00
#7 ]
Elite Member

#6 Quote:

I am a bit surprised that the thread on AA has reached 62 pages and shows no sign of ending any time soon, although the topic has drifted into C= ownership.

Apparently retro is still a thing.

Like this?

MegaManFan Quote:

If it's any consolation to anyone else reading all 40 pages (and counting) of this thread, Atari's history is far less messy than that of Commodore's when it comes to who owns the brand, company, and/or intellectual property -- and I say this as someone who grew up using Commodore computers (and I still have my C128). If you think modern day Atari is dog shit, you've not seen the number of stupid things the Commodore logo gets stuck on, legally or illegally. The current iteration of Atari whatever it may be is WAYYYYYY better than that.

Emotionally charged and frustration like in our community and the post above doesn't even mention the Amiga specifically. Someone mentioned Amiga with the idea that it is the Atari successor based on employees like Jay Miner, Joe Decuir and Larry Kaplan.

jgkspsx Quote:

If we’re going to do it based on employees then Amiga is the real Atari 🙃

The Amiga really doesn't need the "Commodore" branding and may be better off with "Atari Amiga" which likely would have more retro appeal. There was mention of Atari SA's penny stock price and lack of trading volume zombie status while Atari Inc. seems to have millions for the new Atari VCS and 2600+ console. I'm suspicious why Atari Inc. wouldn't use a small FPGA for the Atari 2600+ which would be seen as a more faithful recreation of the original logic than ARM emulation and quell many of the emulation complaints. If only it was that easy to recreate the best 68k Amiga in a super low cost FPGA but then the 68k Amiga is ugpradeable and Amiga users have already tasted upgraded Amigas in emulation. Anyway, there is definitely some Atari shadiness behind the public image which is coming out and they can't keep spending like they are without more hardware success. If Atari SA goes bankrupt, maybe Amiga Corporation can pick up the Atari IP for a one stop retro licensing shop and maybe even an Atari Amiga retro hardware. Then again, Atari may want to create an Atari Amiga out of the Atari VCS instead as an Atari rep in the thread asks about the Amiga and mentions about Atari "already owning a lot" of Amiga related IP.

TrogdarRobusto Quote:

so, what is the state of the Amiga platform in the opinion of this group? Hardware? Software? What is the appetite for Amiga content?

TrogdarRobusto Quote:

It is not about buying, it is more about already owning a lot.

Atari fans actually had a nuanced but overall favorable opinion about the Amiga despite rivalry at times. This led to speculation about the ownership of Commodore and Amiga IP. People seemed confused thinking that Amiga IP ownership is unclear due to lawsuits but it is not as you pointed out.

#6 Quote:

I thought I already answered this.

Amiga IP is not for sale. And it's owned by Amiga Corporation, not Cloanto.

That's not the way I would have worded a response even though it is likely mostly accurate. I prefer, "Most Amiga IP is owned by Amiga Corporation and is likely available for licensing." Some transfer of Amiga IP ownership to Amiga Corporation may be legally delayed or even permanently blocked and I wouldn't assume that it is not for sale at any price. The licensing tip could lead to communication and cross licensing instead of lawsuits later. I just don't understand how you were the only one to state that Amiga Corporation is the primary Amiga IP owner while so many people believe Amiga IP squatters are owners. Retro Games Limited likely performed due diligence before spending millions on THEA500 Mini and that was licensed from Cloanto before combining Amiga Inc. IP assets. There have been other console licensing agreements for Amiga emulation and Amiga emulation on the Atari VCS would likely attract some Amiga customers with much better than ARM emulation performance (likely could even emulate a PPC Amiga better than embedded PPC AmigaNOne hardware), more open hardware than most consoles and better value than most Amiga hardware. The Atari VCS could have an Amiga app that boots into AmigaOS with hard drive space and it is expandable with USB I/O. Downsides include the questionable financial health of Atari SA and the new Atari VCS not selling well due to being too high of cost relative to high performance consoles like the PS4/5. There is room for mass produced budget consoles and Minis at 1/2 the cost and preferable less of high performance consoles as can be seen with the weak little THEA500 Mini being more successful than the much more powerful Atari VCS.

number6 
Posted on 27-May-2024 15:15:09
#8 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Atari Acquires Intellivision Brand

agami 
Posted on 28-May-2024 1:31:46
#9 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
eliyahu wrote:

No, but they are shadows of their former selves, although whether that reflects the lack of moderation or just lack of interest as things have slowed, I have no idea.

-- eliyahu

A little from columns A, and I’d say mostly from column B.

matthey 
Posted on 28-May-2024 20:25:55
#10 ]
Elite Member

#6 Quote:

Atari Acquires Intellivision Brand

I hope the new rebranded Intellivision is smart enough to rebrand the Amico hardware too. Atari has deep pockets and is buying up retro software and brands like Microsoft is for more modern gaming software and brands. The new Atari VCS price has dropped to $209.99 USD which is closer to a retro themed microconsole. The hardware has no actual heritage besides eye candy and limited expandability but maybe it can be cost reduced enough for the more powerful x86-64 hardware to compete with cheaper ARM hardware. I'm not sure x86-64 hardware is worth it without paying up for Windows and the more modern gaming compatibility it brings. The AMD APU GPU is better performance than most low power ARM SoC GPUs though.

number6 
Posted on 28-May-2024 21:58:33
#11 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
I hope the new rebranded Intellivision is smart enough to rebrand the Amico hardware too.

Not sure what you mean here. Intellivision Entertainment has no hardware available and the vast majority opinion is that they never will.
If you mean Atari here (as the new owner of the Intellivision brand), they have clearly disassociated themselves from the Amico (Intellivision Entertainment side).

Quote:
Atari has deep pockets and is buying up retro software and brands

Yes, I failed to keep up here with all the purchases by Wade Rosen. Digital Eclipse probably got the most press prior to the Intellivision acquisition. One strong opinion has been that Atari is cornering and consolidating what we could call the oldest? or beginnings of retro. And no, Magnavox falls a little early as does Fairchild etc.

If you're bored, of all the media (tons) about the purchase, this one is clearly the best:
I'm pointing out one guest's comments in particular, since he has "creds", but the entire video is informative, imo.

Source

You will note many instances of BBG. There are obvious issues with contracts and/or agreements and who owns what and who can do what with IP. Did I mention how similar this operation is to Amiga affairs?

Edit:repaired bad link

Last edited by number6 on 28-May-2024 at 10:06 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 29-May-2024 0:08:35
#12 ]
Elite Member

#6 Quote:

Not sure what you mean here. Intellivision Entertainment has no hardware available and the vast majority opinion is that they never will.
If you mean Atari here (as the new owner of the Intellivision brand), they have clearly disassociated themselves from the Amico (Intellivision Entertainment side).

It is from your link.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/atari-acquires-intellivision-brand-120000940.html Quote:

Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand and continue its business of developing and distributing the Amico brand game console with a license from Atari to continue to distribute new versions of the Intellivision games on the Amico console.

"Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand" (their business name?) and "continue its business". This leaves the possibility they would continue to try to bring hardware to market with the Amico name. Perhaps the rebrand includes Amico branding. It may be highly doubtful they will successfully bring "Amico" branded hardware to market but it can't be ruled out. Atari has no interest in Amico branding.

#6 Quote:

Yes, I failed to keep up here with all the purchases by Wade Rosen. Digital Eclipse probably got the most press prior to the Intellivision acquisition. One strong opinion has been that Atari is cornering and consolidating what we could call the oldest? or beginnings of retro. And no, Magnavox falls a little early as does Fairchild etc.

If you're bored, of all the media (tons) about the purchase, this one is clearly the best:
I'm pointing out one guest's comments in particular, since he has "creds", but the entire video is informative, imo.

Source

You will note many instances of BBG. There are obvious issues with contracts and/or agreements and who owns what and who can do what with IP. Did I mention how similar this operation is to Amiga affairs?

The Amiga may be in better shape as long as the CBM branding is not used. Cloanto/Amiga Corporation owns most of the IP, ROMs, AmigaOS and miscellaneous software.

Atari branding is valuable but Intellivision less so. Fans of the 1st gen consoles are getting old. NES and C64 brands are valuable but 68k gaming is a sweet spot based on age of fans and some of the best pixel art for 2D games with good gameplay. Also, 68k games are some of the easiest to enhance due to the 68k being the easiest architecture ever to program in assembly. There is the possibility of non-console advanced retro computers with Amiga, Atari, Mac and x68000 systems which allow upgraded 68k hardware (all these computer systems have worked on a mostly modern 68060). Maybe Atari will work up to retro 68k systems. Atari Amiga is still not out of the question from whatever one stop retro shop acquires these retro IPs which could be Amiga Corporation too. AmigaOS 4 hardware sales should be in single digits by then.

number6 
Posted on 29-May-2024 2:45:47
#13 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
"Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand" (their business name?)

Yes. They should have simply added "their business name" to clarify.
atm the claim is made that it will be simply"Amico LLC".

Quote:
It may be highly doubtful they will successfully bring "Amico" branded hardware to market

Even the most optimistic guesses about the acquisition costs fall leagues short of supplying manufacturing funds, even if their console functioned as hoped. Their last best hope was to manufacture just a controller and offer it by Christmas. Odds on this are also extremely low.

Quote:
Atari has no interest in Amico branding.

Not to mention all the baggage like non public agreements that would come with it. Imagine a version 2 of Amiga vs Amico name confusion with *cough* you know who involved.

Heh. I gather you watched and read a bit, since there have been multiple references to Atari buying both Hyperion Entertainment and Commodore assets. I resisted the temptation to reply...

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle