Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  11 mins ago
 matthey:  28 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  48 mins ago
 utukku:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /   It's time to join the forces!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
agami 
Re: It's time to join the forces!
Posted on 9-Feb-2024 6:24:32
#21 ]

@matthey

I don’t expect any part of the scenario I’ve outlined to actually become reality. It was just my envisioning of the maximum force multiplier in the joinable parties.

Trevor has no game plan. In reality he never had a game plan. By all appearances, he’s been taken for a ride by bad advisors for the past 15 years.
PPC is over and there is no Second Act for A-EON. They’ll just continue updating their software assets for the existing AmigaOS 4 user base.

While whatever work the MorphOS team has done to port it to x64 could be moved to ARM 64 with relative ease, the reality is that the target ARM-based motherboards are just not mainstream enough to make that viable. So they’ll likely continue working toward x64, and I would really really like us to have an update from them regarding the port, this year.

The only forces that can be realistically joined are those of Amiga Corporation and AROS. Whatever that gives us.

As far as the cost of M&A is concerned, it’s been my experience that most companies screw this up and end up paying a higher price than originally planned. Mostly due to poor due diligence in the outset.

Last year I worked with an Australian company that had purchased an entity which a large multi-conglomerate in UK were looking to offload. While the purchasing company felt they had performed adequate due diligence on the specific org they were purchasing, their due diligence on the parent was almost non-existent. The parent company made what was supposed to be a very trivial transition the most complex separation I’ve had the displeasure of working on.
To top things off, during the transition period the UK multi-conglomerate had a cyber event, halting all work.

Another thing companies fail to include in their accounting is that for the first year, the new “family” will often not spend any money to make the M&A look good on the books. This often has material impacts on revenue and profitability for up to 2 years, and in some cases it is fatal like in the case of 3Dfx acquiring STB.

M&As are generally not worth it unless you’re large enough to absorb the direct and indirect costs, or the thing being acquired is a true bargain, 25% or less of general market price.

I know a guy whose business was buying distressed companies for pennies on the dollar, and flipping them. And even then it is touch & go in turning things around and making a profit.

Profile     Report this post  
CosmosUnivers 
Posted on 9-Feb-2024 7:45:28
#22 ]

@agami

Quote:

I don’t expect any part of the scenario I’ve outlined to actually become reality. It was just my envisioning of the maximum force multiplier in the joinable parties

Sadly, nothing good will never come from most of our actual Amiga elite for me...

They have an inverted brain, with a very bad faith...

One quick example : the biggest problem on our 68k is the Kickstart/Workbench software OS, very poor and incomplete now. Software is way more important than the hardware. They know that, they inverse and they create new incompatible hardware (PPC, ARM...) instead of improving the 68k software... OS 3.2 is only here for a fake hope, in few years they will stop and block the sources because the 3.1 ones are leaked...

The only hope will come from a tiny crew of good developpers, with a right mentality and the goal to create something 68k good, just like the Commodore team in the mid 80 years...

roar 
Posted on 9-Feb-2024 8:06:58
#23 ]

@AmigaBlitter

What the hell do you think the V4Sa is? they have been developing it for 14 years, it has apollo OS so gets around the damm ip licenses. its a new Amiga. super fast and new chips for sound and 3d and more. comes with rtg,Ethernet, 500 megs ram ,12 megs chip and im not doing the description justice. This is truly the revival of the Amiga what commodore devs would have done if were allowed to. So everyone needs to get educated on how cheap these are as well. my amiga cost 1000 usd for 1200 and 030 back in 1993, and with inflation i cant imagine what it is now. but the v4sa is only 700 usd and you get it all! Check it out! you are missing out, this is the best you are going to get. V4Sa is not just an accelerator, its a next generation amiga with capabilities beyond aga and ecs. Now we just need more developers to make sofware that uses the new chips for 16 channel sound, 12 megs chip and fast speed. there are some, but thats where people need to put there energy.

Last edited by roar on 09-Feb-2024 at 08:12 AM.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 9-Feb-2024 9:41:03
#24 ]
Cult Member

join forces is not possible as long as some scumbags here
spread nazi style anti ppc propaganda.
there is no reasons to work together with clowns that never ever use ng
but spread absolute bs about it.
amiga ppc is with us 27 years since 1997
and we may don't want to resign from it after so many years.
accept that leave amiga ng/ppc as it is.

Start working on new something that will be no more than 20 years behind windows.
something open source, unix based, with drivers, memory protection, smp.
something like amiga os x, amiga gui and graphics on top of unix.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Feb-2024 19:54:07
#25 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Of course there are some obstacles, but a pinch of good will may help to overcome those.
First of all could be good to think about benefit of joining the forse.

Kronos 
Posted on 10-Feb-2024 20:21:30
#26 ]
Elite Member

@roar

Quote:

roar wrote:
@AmigaBlitter

What the hell do you think the V4Sa is? they have been developing it for 14 years, it has apollo OS so gets around the damm ip licenses.

That is a creative way of putting it....

Quote:
its a new Amiga. super fast and new chips for sound and 3d and more. comes with rtg,Ethernet, 500 megs ram ,12 megs chip and im not doing the description justice. This is truly the revival of the Amiga what commodore devs would have done if were allowed to.

If the C= devs had come to V4S style HW in the 2nd half of the 90s, they would have proven themselves as incompetent as the managing arm of C=.

Vampire/68080 are fan art something the 110% faithful get a hard on about while the general public sees it as the amateurish crap it is.

In order for V4S to be "competitive" you would need to transplant it back into 1992 where wouldn't have doable in a cost sensitive way -> pure after the fact fan art.

Kronos 
Posted on 10-Feb-2024 20:38:46
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Just to be clear, I do love myself some fan art:

- I did enjoy quite a few fan made Star Trek series despite the acting and stories being less than stellar and CGI that makes you yearn for TOS sets

- MorphOS and OS4 also fall into that category which would only competitive if pitted against pre OSX macOS and non NT based Windows (so 95/98/ME)

number6 
Posted on 10-Feb-2024 21:08:05
#28 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Last post in one of your "join the forces" threads seems to have been May, 2022.
No doubt you keep better track than I do. Are we at version XII yet?

Best wishes,

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 12-Feb-2024 20:52:19
#29 ]
Elite Member

@number6

#6,

you're right

There's a reason why i do ask for a reunion.

Many possibilities.

Trust me

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Feb-2024 23:43:07
#30 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

https://joining-forces.org/

kolla 
Posted on 13-Feb-2024 4:58:10
#31 ]
Elite Member

@roar

Quote:

roar wrote:

What the hell do you think the V4Sa is?

Primarily an entertainment system.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle