Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

_ThEcRoW

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 _ThEcRoW:  1 min ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  28 mins ago
 retrofaza:  29 mins ago
 Rob:  29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  52 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr ago
 Kremlar:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  [Poll] Poll: OpenOffice: Are you interested in joining a porting effort
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Poll : Are you interested in joining a team to port OpenOffice ?
Yes. I am a programmer and I would like to help porting
Yes, I am not a programmer, but I would like to help with non-development stuff (admin stuff, etc)
Yes, but I don't have enough time, but would like to contribute financially (bounties, infrastructure like servers, webspace, cvs space etc).
No

PosterThread
digitaldisaster 
Re: [Poll] Poll: OpenOffice: Are you interested in joining a porting effort
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:09:25
#81 ]
Cult Member

@EntilZha

What problems can you see about distributing it on the CD? It is dual license LGPL and one of suns odd ones. The LGPL allows software to be distributed on commercail CD's with closed source software (As does the GPL)

Profile     Report this post  
EntilZha 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:13:39
#82 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@digitaldisaster

I'm not a lawyer... It's not that I see a problem, I just don't know...

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:14:57
#83 ]
Cult Member

@digitaldisaster

ah, of course you would ahve to get the legal dudes to check it, it was just an idea anyway as Linux comes out of the box with office suites, sometimes even two or three!

Bean 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:16:40
#84 ]

@EntilZha

Quote:
I'm not a manager... I'd rather contribute code...

I know, I was only pulling your leg!

Cheers,
Bean.

Anonymous 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:28:37
# ]

@EntilZha
Quote:

EntilZha wrote:
]I'm not a manager... I'd rather contribute code

I'm a manager, but I've never managed a programming project in my life (mind you, that never stopped the people I used to work with ). If you get sufficiently desperate...

Report this post  
dreamlandfantasy 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:32:56
#86 ]

@EntilZha

Like many others who have voted or commented I would love to help get OOo ported over to the Amiga. I would have loved to have helped with the programming, but alas my Amiga C programming skills are not really up to the job.

I will be more than happy donate money and anything else that I can offer.

mbilla 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:45:02
#87 ]

@all

I voted yes, though I can't program but take over other tasks.
Why?
A1/AOS4 needs a modern OfficeSuite much like a modern webbrowser, or a modern mail prog or something that can sync your PDA!

People are already porting over Firefox/Mozilla.
Yam/Simplemail can do things other progs can't do.

OO is next to MS Office the best Office suite if not better!
If I read this thread i notice that many user never have used or even checked the features of OO!

At work I use both MS Office and OO.
It's true that OO has copied many features and ideas from MS Office (at least it seems so, but OO comes from SunOffice which itself derives from Staroffice which existed already in the times of Word Perfect when MS Word didn't even exist!)

In the meantime OO has much better features than MS Office, the spreadshhet is ways ahead of Excel, it has 128 more formulas than Excel!

Those who miss a PowerPoint like program, do get a complete compatible presentation prog with OO!
I did a presentation in Keynotes on the MAC, exported it as PowerPoint file; changed things in PowerPoint and presented the whole file in OO! Which itself made a much better (qualitywise and browser compatibilty) HTML homepage of it!

And here's the other point of OO: it is a full HTML (WYSIWYG) editor too! Or if you want a browser as you can type in the URL of any homepage!
If you do compare the HTML save function of MS Office vs OO, than you clearly understand why nobody uses Word, PowerPoint,Excel to do homepages!
The MS products do explode the HTML code with a lot of nonsense code only usefull in Internet Explorer! (e.g. Word/PowerPoint do inculde all fonts it finds plus special propreitary MS HTML code only understandable by IE)
Just 1 example: I once converted a Word table I got emailed to HTML with the HTML Save function: the code was 160KB large!
When I imported the HTML code into Dreamweaver (which automatically strips down non-conform HTML code), the table was only 35 KB.
I then edited the the HTML by hand and had after that 19KB!
The same Word document, imported into OO and exported as HTML was 25KB!

As for PowerPoint (MS Office 2000) presentations, (many FXs really crawl, not as smooth as Keynotes or Scala FXs), you can set up very fast a presentation, OO can do that too. If you want your PPoint presentation as homepage just export it as such, but only IE can show it as such. Other browsers give presentation errors, even IE is sometimes unable to build up the presentation.
The only advantage IE has is that you can run the presentation with the FXs, but for that you do need PPoint on your computer!
But the worst point is that PPoint creates very blocky looking fonts and images of your presentation if saved as HTML.

OO makes much better HTML code, every slide (fonts & images) is rerendered for optimized browser output and these presentations do work with any browser.

The latest version of MS Office (2004) has much mor features again. The FXs can be changed in so many differnt options that any user takes much more time to set up a presentation. But the points I'm referring here are still as bad as in previous versions.

PowerPoint has matured, has much more features and FXs (on par with MS Office for MAC which always had really cool and professionnal backgrounds, PPoint was always kiddy like), but the HTML issues remained.
Don't worry OO 2 (really soon now, Linux beta is out now) has catched up again here.

OO comes with dictionaries and grammar checker in many languages. Updatable for free via internet from inside the program.
Like MS Office you can use several dictionaries simultanously.

But there are other goodies in OO, a complete vector gfx editor, there's a mathematics equation editor, which will soon be able to solve equations (much like Maple V). Project editing is possible too: many people working on the same project, using OO on many computers.
OO has it's own programming language and is still compatible MS Macros.
OO can save in offical industrial standards: XML, export to mayn other formats plus PDF export in no time, just a click with the mouse and you are ready.

Someone did write in this thread that JAVA is needed install OO. That's not true. OO works without JAVA installed. But you do loose some features, especially database features.

The only program OO is missing compared to MS Office Pro is a database like Access.
Under Linux you can install mySQL which can be easily integrated into OO. Than you do have one of the most powerfull DB there is.

I already wrote that OO 2 is on it's way, as for the GUI, it looks very much like MS Office now! So if you do come from MS, you're directly familiar with OO 2...NO LEARNING CURVE!
OO 2 will also be OS X native, until now one needed X11 to run it on OS X Macs.
Functionality of OO 2 is the same as MS Office Pro 2004, but with more features.
There is even a complete relational DB integrated in OO 2 comparable to ORACLE/ACCESS!!!!

Documents are save in a new industrial document standard called OASIS!

OK these are the reasons why I want OO for AOS4. I think it will rock on A1s!

But the main reason for OO is it's ZERO price comapred to MS Office Pro which costs around 1000 Euro.

and your PDAs and laptops ...
Psion 5mx Pro - Psion NetBook - Apple iPhone - MacBook Pro

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 21:57:15
#88 ]
Cult Member

@mbilla

A brillaint evaluation of OOo
A couple of little gripes: it is still StarOffice but it is now made by Sun instead of Lighwave IIRC
Yes Java enhances the runtime use of OOo and is not nessacery but wht I was saying was to compile it which is no longer true as there is a python script now available as an alternative. Java was used to manipulate some of the XML config files
AFAIK there will not be a native Mac port as soon as when OOo v2 is released, refer to the Mac pages at http://porting.openoffice.org
Quote:
All further development of the Quartz and Aqua tracks has been postponed until OpenOffice.org 2.0 due to gsl timeline. Initial delivery of 2.0 for Win32, Solaris, and Linux x86 expected in Q1 2005. Projected OS X X11 port availability expected to be Q2 2005. Projected OS X native availability of OpenOffice.org 2.0 is currently Q1 2006.

Quote:
October 29, 2004: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Aqua port slows. With lack of a dedicated X11 team, 2.0 doesn't even compile "out of the box" for X11, and Cocoa development has slowed as well. The only current Mac OS X non-X11 development is the NeoOffice/J [neooffice.org] fork of OpenOffice.org 1.1.2, which is all the time I (Ed) have for myself. We desperatly need your help! Go checkout 680 and help Eric and all the other Mac OS X diehards port it today! Check out the mailing list archives for the most recent 411.

giga 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:03:18
#89 ]

@EntilZha
I intend to learn c but am studying for my exams at the moment, will help however i can tho.
Would contribute to bounty as and when i could.
Also have a small webserver in my bedroom which is on pretty much continuously. Would provide webspace where needed.

Last edited by giga on 05-Jan-2005 at 10:15 PM.

EntilZha 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:04:54
#90 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@anarchic_teapot

Quote:
I'm a manager, but I've never managed a programming project in my life

Hey, that's OK. If you know how to manage, you know how to manage this

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:14:57
#91 ]
Cult Member

@giga

You do the managing and the programmers will do the programming.
I've never managed a team of programmers myself, I usually work alone or at some elses beck an call but I would guess that as long as you have lots of free time you're willing to donate as well as good communication skills then you could pull it off

Megatron 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:15:19
#92 ]

@EntilZha

yes i want to help but I am not a programer
but if ther is anything ,a litel bit of mony or help in anyway i whud do it !

MY TRANSFORMER IS AN AMIGA ONE XE AND ITS AS

tonyw 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:19:05
#93 ]
Elite Member

@EntilZha

Quite right. All you need to be a MANager is to be able to bully men, and, well . . .

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Amon_Re 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:20:10
#94 ]

@EntilZha

While i'm currently swapped with work for fragfest.be (a website) i do offer you my php skills for creating a website, i estimate that fragfest.be should be sorted out quite soon, then i can do some work on amigadev & 2 other sites, and possibly also setup a site for such a project.

As for coding... I do know my way arround C, but i doubt i'd be able to commit enough time to such a project to be of any use, other then perhaps betatester

Cheers

Zorro 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:29:36
#95 ]

I voted the second option... if it is needed I am here...

lkeller 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:42:33
#96 ]

@EntilZha

Dr. Larry Keller will help administratively and with some financial support. I ticked only admin when I did the poll as I didn't read far enough ahead.

Let's do it!

Amon_Re 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:43:05
#97 ]

@All

I suppose the most urgent task would be to actually appoint a manager now (hey, don't look at me, i have no management experiance ), and perhaps a dedicated forum.

The forum could be added to Amigadev, and i suppose getting CVS on that box is also possible, i'd have to check that with the person who owns that box (DaveyD i think)

OOo is a massive task, bigger then FireFox and Thunderbird, i think a bounty system could be usefull, question is, how to implement it?

The AROS bounty system is quite nice, as it rewards individuals aswell as teams for completion of tasks instead of just one smack of money on beta deliverary.

So, who volenteers?

Amon_Re 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:50:45
#98 ]

@All

I'm glancing at some more indepth info about OOo....

Do we have an STLport 4.x? I suppose the best route to get working on this is to start from the LinuxPPC source, as that code is already PPC aware, would an approuch simular to the MacOSX approuch be possible? (X11 running inside of Aqua)

Amon_Re 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:51:36
#99 ]

@All

Coders who are bored atm could already read http://porting.openoffice.org/porting_doclinks.html

Seer 
Posted on 5-Jan-2005 22:54:14
#100 ]
Team Member

@anarchic_teapot

I'm a manager, but I've never managed a programming project in my life

Well, I guess you;d be a good canditate. Most people here know you allready. I do wonder, managers are usually busy people (the good ones I suppose), ya think you can make time to do this ? Looks like this would be a rather big project.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle