Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 19 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  39 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 amigagr:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 utukku:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 retrofaza:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 deadwood:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 t0lkien:  4 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  My impression of AmigaOS 4.1
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
ShInKurO 
Re: My impression of AmigaOS 4.1
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 9:04:31
#49 ]

@Menthos

"One thing that keep bugging me is the removal of the right mouse button shows volumes in file requesters! Is there some way to get it back?"

ASL :

• There is not any distintion between a load file requester and a save file requester. Before than now we can identify a save requester with different colours, this thing could be implementable now for example writting directory with a red colour and file with white color or similar. I hope we will can reaquire load/save distinction;

• file requester behaviour is different from directory requester one: in a requester where you can choose files, you open a directory with a double click, while in a requester which opens directory you opens a directory with one click. This conduces me to confusion;

• When it's opened a file requester in which you can select more files, it gives you a strange feature to select more the one directory. Ambiguos;

• When you open a file requester the focus is not just into string of name file, but it gains focus after you press a key, so if you want find in a directory file "foo" with keyboard like old ASL, if you write "foo", new ASL takes "oo". You must select name string with mouse befor to write any thing;

Profile     Report this post  
ShInKurO 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 9:06:08
#50 ]

@raumfahre

"Noticed that windows autoupdate with 4.1.No need to do "update window content" manually"

Are you sure? I had to install autoupdatewb on OS4.1...

raumfahre 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 9:12:23
#51 ]

@ShInKurO

Quote:
Are you sure? I had to install autoupdatewb on OS4.1...

Ah, perhaps tomazkid (post #7) did an "update" to 4.1 from 4.0 and had forgotten that he already had this utility installed?

I haven't installed my copy of 4.1 yet so can't comment with certainty.

Last edited by raumfahre on 15-Sep-2008 at 09:13 AM.

saimo 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 10:56:38
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Menthos

Quote:
How do I know I have the SWAP correct and working?

Copy to RAM Disk a file bigger than the amount of physical RAM you have - if the copy succeeds, then swapping is working fine.

Quote:
I tried to make a partition with the new filesystem but the format command newer showed that partition. What could I have done wrong, or how do I access that partition?

Maybe you have not mounted the partition (check the automount option in MediaToolbox or use the "mount" command). When mounted, the partition should appear also on the WB.

saimo

Deniil715 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 10:59:58
#53 ]
Elite Member

@ShInKurO

Quote:
When you open a file requester the focus is not just into string of name file, but it gains focus after you press a key, so if you want find in a directory file "foo" with keyboard like old ASL, if you write "foo", new ASL takes "oo". You must select name string with mouse befor to write any thing;

This is very good, because before you could not close an ASL by keyboard because you could never get to the OK or Cancel button. The focus was stuck alternatying between the string gadgets for dir and file.

saimo 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:03:08
#54 ]
Elite Member

@ShInKurO

Quote:
There is not any distintion between a load file requester and a save file requester. Before than now we can identify a save requester with different colours, this thing could be implementable now for example writting directory with a red colour and file with white color or similar. I hope we will can reaquire load/save distinction;

IIRC it has been like this for a while.
I remember an OS developer (cannot say who, though) stating that he *did* want it that way when the issue was brought to attention a while back.
I agree that the distinction was a good thing.

Quote:
file requester behaviour is different from directory requester one: in a requester where you can choose files, you open a directory with a double click, while in a requester which opens directory you opens a directory with one click. This conduces me to confusion;

Yes, it is a bit confusing at first... but having to double-click to enter a directory is even worse

Quote:
When it's opened a file requester in which you can select more files, it gives you a strange feature to select more the one directory. Ambiguos;

This could be useful for programs that accept multiple directories in input. IMHO not really a problem, anyway.
edit: maybe this is the reason behind double-cliking to enter directories...

Quote:
When you open a file requester the focus is not just into string of name file, but it gains focus after you press a key, so if you want find in a directory file "foo" with keyboard like old ASL, if you write "foo", new ASL takes "oo". You must select name string with mouse befor to write any thing;

This does not happen here - are you sure?

saimo

Last edited by saimo on 15-Sep-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Speedy 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:04:35
#55 ]

@saimo

The Virtual Mem isn't to my likings. I wonder how slow it is. Had VM on AmigaOS 3.1 back in 1994 or so. It was VERY SLOW :)

And hope they keep improve OWB. Funny, the 2.8 version, i can't run from Harddisk at all. I have to move it to Ram to be able to start it. Any ideas, anyone ?.

Other than that. Very satisfied with my OS4.1 :) Hope we can use JXFS on boot partition in the future.

ShInKurO 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:07:35
#56 ]

@Deniil715

It can be solved distinguishing between shortcut for closing ASL requester (ESC) and other keys which instead user thinks to use on the string...
It always not good to remove a tested and understood behaviour without an important reason... User doesn't want to learn new behaviours to do the same things...instead he pas to use old version because he has just understand how it works...These are basic usability concepts...

ShInKurO 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:12:48
#57 ]

@saimo

"This could be useful for programs that accepts multiple directories in input. IMHO not really a problem, anyway."

It's a problem if that requester is setted (and thought) to give user to choose more files, no more directories In fact it's should be considered like a bug, not a feature... A new feature in this case would be a tag for relative ASL function which permitt to dev to choose if enable or disable that...

"This does not happen here - are you sure?"

Yes I am... if you're a betatester probably it was just fixed...

saimo 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:17:55
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Speedy

Quote:
The Virtual Mem isn't to my likings. I wonder how slow it is. Had VM on AmigaOS 3.1 back in 1994 or so. It was VERY SLOW :)

Of course it is slow: a hard drive cannot match physical RAM speed
VM is only a fallback option for when physical RAM is full.

Quote:
And hope they keep improve OWB. Funny, the 2.8 version, i can't run from Harddisk at all. I have to move it to Ram to be able to start it. Any ideas, anyone ?.

Download version 2.9 (now it's on OS4Depot too)

Quote:
Other than that. Very satisfied with my OS4.1 :) Hope we can use JXFS on boot partition in the future.

Yesterday I made a small benchmark with diskspeed: JFXS turned out to be slightly slower than SFS (*not* SFS2, which I do not use) in most of the tests. Unless one needs 64-bit support, I would not recommend it (also because data recovery support is not there yet).
Edit: more benchmarks here on Amigans.net.

saimo

Last edited by saimo on 15-Sep-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 15-Sep-2008 at 11:27 AM.

saimo 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:25:33
#59 ]
Elite Member

@ShInKurO

Quote:
"This could be useful for programs that accepts multiple directories in input. IMHO not really a problem, anyway."

It's a problem if that requester is setted (and thought) to give user to choose more files, no more directories In fact it's should be considered like a bug, not a feature... A new feature in this case would be a tag for relative ASL function which permitt to dev to choose if enable or disable that...

From a programming POV, I agree that the behaviour should be definable.
But from a user POV, I can't see the problem: it's not mind-shattering to be able to select multiple directories (and files)
BTW: I can *not* select multiple directories here!

Quote:
"This does not happen here - are you sure?"

Yes I am... if you're a betatester probably it was just fixed...

No, I am not.

saimo

Speedy 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:49:13
#60 ]

@saimo

Nice, this is better than sex :D

Just noticed my Diskspeed 4.4 doesn't work on A1. Never did test that tho'. But now replacing it with the OS4 one :)

But OWB still only works when i start it from Ram. From HD, either JXFS or boot partition. I get the "Unable to open your tool 'OWB'."

Very weird

saimo 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 11:54:58
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Speedy

Quote:
But OWB still only works when i start it from Ram. From HD, either JXFS or boot partition. I get the "Unable to open your tool 'OWB'."

Very weird

Definitely.
Have you checked the protection bits (sounds unlikely, I know, but I can't think of anything else now...)?

saimo

ShInKurO 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 13:01:51
#62 ]

@saimo

"BTW: I can *not* select multiple directories here!"

RWIW, it happens on file requesters which permitt to select more then one file, like ASL load requester on NoWinED...

"No, I am not."?

Strange, pheraphs you have personalized your wb and with your personatization the problem is not visible. I've few personalized my OS and it happens even with default configuration of ASL...

saimo 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 13:18:17
#63 ]
Elite Member

@ShInKurO

Quote:
"BTW: I can *not* select multiple directories here!"

RWIW, it happens on file requesters which permitt to select more then one file, like ASL load requester on NoWinED...

Sorry, my fault: forgot to try the MULTISELECT option of RequestFile (which I was using for testing)

Quote:
Strange, pheraphs you have personalized your wb and with your personatization the problem is not visible. I've few personalized my OS and it happens even with default configuration of ASL...

I have deeply customized my system, but of course as regards ASL all I can do is what the ASL preferences program allows.
Anyway, I downloaded your program and tried: I can confirm that the file gadget does get the focus automatically.

saimo

Speedy 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 13:22:20
#64 ]

@saimo

Exactly.

All and everything i copy to my HD has RW-D. Soon as i change it to RWED. This one loads.

saimo 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 13:52:30
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Speedy

Quote:
All and everything i copy to my HD has RW-D.

May I ask why? Is it a choice or a problem?

Quote:

You're welcome

saimo

ShInKurO 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 13:58:43
#66 ]

@saimo

"I can confirm that the file gadget does get the focus automatically."

Please you open UnArc, open the first ASL file requester and drop on it an icon of a directory. Now you write a word, your word will miss itself of the first character. This is what I wanted figure you :)

So to be more precise:

• Now if you drop a directory on an ASL file requester and you write "foo", the focus of ASL file requester will be on string file name after second character instead from the first one, so if you write "foo", on string file name will appear "oo";

Last edited by ShInKurO on 15-Sep-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Last edited by ShInKurO on 15-Sep-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Speedy 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 14:03:13
#67 ]

@saimo

I have no idea why. When i unpack OWB to Ram. It's RWED. When i copy it to HD JXFS partition, it becomes RW-D.

No idea why it change the file doing so.

Just did it a few times :D This time, i could copy the file to Boot partition and it didn't change.

Since i use Diskmaster, i bet it's just a diskmaster bug.

ShInKurO 
Posted on 15-Sep-2008 14:53:38
#68 ]

A little suggest to AmiPDF dev:

Can you insert this behaviour (more intuitive and few errors from user use of the program while he reads a pdf):

• ArrowKeyUp/ArrowKeyDown: move up/down the visualized page (page n);

• ArrowKeyLeft/ArrowKeyRight: move to (n-1) page/ move to (n+1) page;

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle