Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 Matt3k:  43 mins ago
 kolla:  49 mins ago
 Torque:  58 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs ago
 kiFla:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /   ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2
Register To Post

PosterThread
HenryCase 
Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2
Posted on 27-Mar-2009 16:36:44
#1 ]
Cult Member

To all I have disagreed with on this subject.

Look, let's make this simple. I will post a statement that I believe to be factual. IF you can show me the flaws in this statement then you will convert me to supporting your point of view. Deal?

Okay, so the statement is this: Hyperion cannot afford to create the x86 port of OS4 and anyone else with the necessary capital would not see it as a shrewd business move.

Prove me wrong, please.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2SHADES27-Mar-2009 17:19:13
          Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2fairlanefastback27-Mar-2009 17:29:01
              Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2SHADES27-Mar-2009 17:31:06
                  Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2fairlanefastback27-Mar-2009 17:39:36
                      Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2SHADES27-Mar-2009 17:47:59
              Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2SHADES27-Mar-2009 17:45:57
                  Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2fairlanefastback27-Mar-2009 17:47:46

PosterThread
SHADES 
Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ??? part 2
Posted on 27-Mar-2009 17:09:11
#1 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:
stones and rocks that x86 seems to bring on, doing his very best to try and assure that their product does continue in to the forseeable future that people don't have such a hard time trying to justify and afford to buy. I put in a lot of effort and time for this it seems "unwelcomed debate" and i don't post often for a old user. ;)

I think it could be helpful for those all for x86 conversion now to try to understand that not all the responses you think are "stones and rocks" really are.

Just because someone thinks its not practical in the here and now does not mean their sharing of how they see what is practical is a stone or rock. To them, they are just trying to inject what they feel is a dose of reality.

Basically some people view x86 as too big an undertaking given the circumstances of today, and they want to enjoy what they can of the OS while it is still here.

You don't want the inevitable end that brings. But lets face it. If you could assemble a team of free, skilled programmers, who could get us x86 in a year, with important apps to follow shortly afterward you'd have a lot of community support I think.

The dream of x86 is a nice one, its a good one. Its the most practical for a *long term* future *if* there is to be one.

The problem is in, how do we make that happen. The people "raining on your parade" mostly are folks just saying "look this is great, except we have no one to do this!". Thats not any sort of an attack really.

You believe (I think) that the people for staying PPC now are fooling themselves. I don't believe thats the case. I think the majority are aware that this gives our OS an "expiration date" for lack of a better term. But their point is, "look I want to enjoy the OS now, I want to see more apps shortly, as thats a reasonable goal", and who knows, maybe x86 will become more viable for us to switch to in the future.

Yep, agree with most.

PPC has definatly lengthed the OS life to some degree (another debate perhaps?) it's just that PPC doesn't seem..... sustainable when you really take a good look at it.

This latest offering is what made me do this, not that it's a bad product in its own right. It works afterall but I certainly fell in to the SAM pit and shook my head thinking how do I justify this one! it is H/W afterall lol When other had similar concerns is when i started to see the end. Well, that and the fact OS4 was ready but couln't be sold cause there was no H/w what a joke. I am suprised it survived let alone got to 4.1.

Something had to be done.
Dunno if I was on the right track or that it should have been me to even get involved so heavily but I wanted to look at what could be done for a long term solution that could guarentee a H/W base without bias to any codebase and proove that long-term solution, for myself as well.
That just so happened to end up as x86 and someone started a thread about it so I took the oppertunity.
I think I may have opend a few eyes, my own included believe it or not, I hope I have, hope you are right there.
I had no idea how well it actually drew out to be quite honest.

The "stick and stones" analogy is to the "leave here and go elsewhere. Your x86 posts are unwelcome" type statements. I think it's a justified comment to make.

The point to it's reference was that there is a lot of dislike for x86 codebase and that made it harder to debate the topic here for a pro side x86 argument as there was bias to contend with as well as the well seen technical and cost challenges.

In the end, I want to see AOS continue and hopefully not get held back by having no obtainable H/W base issues ever again if it can be helped. Long-Term. Cost or otherwise.

How this is achieved is yet to be disclosed but we all know who will have the decision in whatever will be.

Last edited by SHADES on 27-Mar-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle