Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 68 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  15 mins ago
 eliyahu:  30 mins ago
 amigagr:  53 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 lionstorm:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 Kronos:  3 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  WarpPNG Not Impressed!(Solved)
Register To Post

PosterThread
cope 
WarpPNG Not Impressed!(Solved)
Posted on 12-May-2010 13:36:09
#1 ]
Cult Member

Somehow I installed WarpPNG on my system (A1 G4). I did not read the install regarding the registration or it was installed by some other program, but now my system will not finish booting.
I can't remember how to get into the startup to remove this rude driver. If I had had a warning I would have registered, now not even if it was free.
I would very much like a step by step as to how to get into the userstartup or WBstartup to remove this.
Thanks,
John Paul

Last edited by cope on 13-May-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
RuDeE 
Re: WarpPNG Not Impressed!
Posted on 12-May-2010 13:44:37
#2 ]

@cope

Holding down both mouse buttons during bootup should get you to the early startup menu, there you can click the button that says "Boot with no startup-sequence". You will then end up with a shell prompt. type "loadwb" and hit enter to start Workbench. type "endcli" and hit enter to close the shell. You can now edit your startup-sequence/user-startup and try to locate the offending lines. startup-sequence and user-startup are located in S:

Last edited by RuDeE on 12-May-2010 at 01:46 PM.

hotrod 
Posted on 12-May-2010 13:52:08
#3 ]
Elite Member

@RuDeE

It's pretty easy to edit files after "boot with no startup-seqence" since even notepad are available. I'm not in front of my amiga at the moment but I think that you could type utilities/notepad or simply notepad... and ed works offcourse as allways.

Pretty cool that reaction works before workbench appears . I remember asking H-J F about this on their mailinglist and he said that it would be implemented and as allways he kept his word .

I also asked about more options to configure the font settings for the OS and it is also implemented now which he also said that might come for a future version .

Sorry for going OT

ZeroG 
Posted on 12-May-2010 13:52:39
#4 ]
Cult Member

@cope

Or you could boot from the AOS4.x install CD.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-May-2010 13:55:51
#5 ]
Elite Member

@cope

AFAIK datatypes are only contained in files. As an example here is a file list for the standard PNG datatype:
Workbench:Classes/DataTypes/png.datatype
Workbench:Devs/DataTypes/PNG
Workbench:Devs/DataTypes/PNG.info

So removing those Warp versions of the files should be as easy as that to remove WarpPNG.

BTW, how was WarpPNG accidently installed? I ask as proven by the above OS4 already has a PNG datatype installed.

cope 
Posted on 12-May-2010 14:07:13
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Either I installed it or another program installed it. I don't remember. All I do know is that this is a pain in the Rear-end. Two fingers on the mouse leads to the same lockup. I will now try booting from the CD.

JP

Well well, not that easy. I had better carve out a few hours for this. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by cope on 12-May-2010 at 02:18 PM.

marko 
Posted on 12-May-2010 14:21:25
#7 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@hotrod

Quote:
hotrod wrote:
@RuDeE

Pretty cool that reaction works before workbench appears . I remember asking H-J F about this on their mailinglist and he said that it would be implemented and as allways he kept his word .

I also asked about more options to configure the font settings for the OS and it is also implemented now which he also said that might come for a future version .

Sound good

PS: sorry for OT

m4rko.com/AMIGA

salass00 
Posted on 12-May-2010 14:40:47
#8 ]
Elite Member

@cope

If you just want to boot without startup-sequence then I suggest holding down the ctrl button on startup as this will do just that. If you need to get to the early boot screen and it doesn't work by holding down both mouse buttons then you can get there as well by holding down the help key (scroll lock on a PC keyboard unless you've changed it in U-boot).

Templario 
Posted on 13-May-2010 0:07:43
#9 ]
Elite Member

@cope

WarpPNG isn't a driver, Warp"PNG"-"BMP"-"JPG"-"TIFF" are datatypes that show more fast your pics, and when you install one of them always ask you the save or overwrite your current datatype, and join the installer there is one guide to explain it, perhaps as sometimes also I suffered when you install something new the Murphey law out in this moment and crash your system, with Update 2 in my Sam well, I see several strange things and I don't know if install a new programs..... diskimage-device for example.

cope 
Posted on 13-May-2010 14:43:08
#10 ]
Cult Member

@salass00
Holding down the ctrl button during boot worked and I was able to remove the OFFENDING data type. I appreciate all the work done by the various programers including who ever did the PNG datatype, but early in the morning when you are trying to get out the door to supply teach and get all the animals fed including kids and wife and you just want to get the weather this sort of thing is a pain in the butt. Easier than I thought though. I thought now I have to ship this damn thing out to Steve Solie in Alberta to get it fixed thats what happened when I fiddled around with UBoot last time. Didn't have to thank god and salass0

This brings up a deeper issue. Are we just a hobby machine or are we eventually going to offer this to the general public? IF the Amiga is going to go public again in a bigish sort of way these things need to be addressed. People including me don't read or are too busy and just install on blind faith.

I made this point next at the last Ottawa Amiga show. I am not very computer literate. This is why I chose Amiga back in I think '89 after migrating from the C64. I can barely use the CLI. This is the beauty of the machine and OS. I offer myself to the Amiga community as a representative of all the scatter brained, idiot cosummers, and lazy dimwitts. I vote myself as the lead beta tester for the whole community. If you really want to test your software give it to me. I will make mistakes never thought of. I first made this offer to the New Horizon staff(ProWrite). I have made the offer many times since. This is your last chance.
Not So Humbly,
John Paul

Hypex 
Posted on 13-May-2010 16:17:09
#11 ]
Elite Member

@cope

Good to know. Was it a simple case of deleting the files or more complicated?

Quote:
Are we just a hobby machine or are we eventually going to offer this to the general public?

If we ever do go back into the public eye we are gojng to need a lot of work. Especially reggarding security and how you showed with ease how we can break the system.

Spliting it up and also thinking of multi-users might be a good idea in the process.

But we might have a head start on Linux. AFAIK that's still easy to break. One file corrupt and you could get a text log in.

Futaura 
Posted on 13-May-2010 16:49:15
#12 ]

@cope

The easiest way to disable any datatype is to boot with no startup-sequence via the boot menu and then delete the file in SYS:Classes/Datatypes - in this case WarpPNG.datatype for WarpPNG or png.datatype for the OS4 datatype.

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems, but there is nothing wrong with the WarpDTs, and you don't explain what the problem is exactly or how you know it is WarpPNG. If you a referring to the evaluation timeout requester, just hit the Esc key to clear it (don't use the mouse). There is a serious bug in OS4 that causes this requester to lock up if you click the requester with the mouse, so please go pester Hyperion on this bug - it is not the WarpDTs fault ! Obviously this is a pretty bizarre problem - don't know why using the keyboard or mouse should make any difference to making the requester crash or not, but the code involved is in OS4, not WarpPNG. I've also had this problem with other requesters from other apps/tools popping up while booting, so it is a general system wide bug.

BTW, people mention holding down CTRL when booting... What is that supposed to do? Here I get an instant crash on my A1XE!

Mrodfr 
Posted on 13-May-2010 17:22:50
#13 ]

@Futaura

this problem should be reported on the amigans: Official AmigaOS4 feedback forum.

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

Severin 
Posted on 13-May-2010 19:00:46
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Pressing or holding CTRL after a reset does the same as boot with no startup-sequence in the early startup menu, it just dumps you straight into the shell.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Templario 
Posted on 13-May-2010 23:09:31
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

I think that his problems come from OS4, because the updates, well, somethings work......

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle