Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Lou

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Lou:  3 mins ago
 BigD:  5 mins ago
 kriz:  14 mins ago
 zipper:  30 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Marcian:  3 hrs ago
 Frank:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 Vidar:  4 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )
PosterThread
pixie 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 18:36:46
#221 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:

Darth_X wrote:
Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@Darth_X

Aren't all "pro-red" trolling fanboys? We're all stupid people who got sucked by Amiga Inc
and Hyperion.. That's the idea I got from surfing other "Amiga" sites.

I sure hope not, otherwise I'm totally wasting my time here.
Would you like to figure out ways to work with them, resolve these issues, and bring the entire amiga community, splintered as it is, back together?

Quote:

The thing is that OS4 users never say that about MorphOS users. It's simply their choice.

Plenty of things have been said by both sides, but this isn't about who has said the nastier things. This is about finding ways to resolve those issues.

Your turn

Damn you Darth_x, now you ended the trolling!

Profile     Report this post  
DoodooHead 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 18:53:05
#222 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv

Quote:
OS4 is a development that has been licensed for a specific target. The *single* target does not have a future. Consequently, the development does not have much of a future - under these conditions. This is sad, but true - no flames please. These are facts.

I very much doubt that you can defintively say that no additional licenses have been granted. I suspect that the CEO of Amiga Inc. knows more about how many licenses have been granted than you do. I think I'll wait to see what he has to say in the answers to the 25 questions submitted by this community. Why would I believe you on this subject? Why are you here attempting to spread FUD?

Seehund 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 19:56:55
#223 ]

@SoundSquare

Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
Quote:
True. And the HW announced these days is scaring you to death.

lmao, sure it is VERY VERY scary for Genesi.

saimo was obviously talking about Intel's and AMD's quad-core announcements. Right?

If anyone indeed believes that totally irrelevant, pointless, unneeded, unwanted and not to mention inexistent so-called "Amiga hardware" would scare any hardware producer worth his salt, then I think that's scary! ;)

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 20:19:18
#224 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

DoodooHead wrote:

I think I'll wait to see what he has to say in the answers to the 25 questions submitted by this community. Why would I believe you on this subject? Why are you here attempting to spread FUD?

Let's hope you asked a brilliant question instead of a FUD question then!

Seehund 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 20:22:37
#225 ]

Good god, OK, I'm scared.

@saimo

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@SoundSquare

BBRV wants AOS4, and new HW for AOS4 means that AOS4 can do without him.

BBRV/Genesi or any other remotely relevant hardware producer don't "want" AOS4. They want to sell hardware, and AOS doesn't help sell hardware any more than the other OSs which already run on their hardware. Rather the opposite, I'd think. Either way it's worth neither money nor time to try to get permission, a licence, to be allowed to try to sell AOS bundled with and dongled to their hardware. For their sake I hope BBRV are only wooing AmigaOS loci in their spare time when they have nothing better to do...

AOS4 can NOT do without commercially attractive hardware. Else it can't be sold. None of whatever pointless projects which have gotten their pre-progress reports pre-pre-pre-announced are commercially attractive.
Hardware vendors CAN and DO do very well without AOS4.
That's the major reason to why the compulsory hardware licensing/bundling has failed and could not possibly work. AInc's failure to realise this and adapt to reality is why AmigaOS 4 is almost as dead as the Amiga is today.

Seehund 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 20:42:28
#226 ]

@DoodooHead

Quote:

DoodooHead wrote:
@bbrv

Quote:
OS4 is a development that has been licensed for a specific target. The *single* target does not have a future. Consequently, the development does not have much of a future - under these conditions. This is sad, but true - no flames please. These are facts.

I very much doubt that you can defintively say that no additional licenses have been granted.

Is there a reason for your doubt? "If it's not on amiga.com, then it's not true." :P

Even if any of the "NG Amiga hardware" sideshows which regularly are insulting people's intelligence on sites like this had been granted a licence, they have no future (or rather, they wouldn't improve AmigaOS's future).

Quote:
I suspect that the CEO of Amiga Inc. knows more about how many licenses have been granted than you do.

Presuming that AInc's CEO is McEwen this week, then I don't think it's impossible that he'd be defeated by a roll of the dice when guessing the number of licencees. That's if the dice are fixed, with one dot on all sides. ;)

Had AInc given a $hit about AmigaOS in the first place, then we wouldn't be dependent on, and be sitting here having futile discussions about, potential hardware licencees.

ChrisH 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 20:50:51
#227 ]
Elite Member

Once OS4 has some hardware which can be bought (and so OS4 can actually be sold!), it *might* make sense to charge for new OS4 hardware licenses - but until then beggars can't be choosers, and Hyperion is the one doing the begging (for hardware).

I doubt that Hyperion are stupid, so I can only assume that their hands are tied by Amiga Inc. I almost wish that Genesi had gotten their hands on OS4.... But really, it's too late for Hyperion to do anything more that will improve matters now (unless Amiga Inc go bust tomorrow), so we'll just have to see how the dice fall at the BB4. I don't think I'm overstating things when I say that the BB4 is crunch-time not only for Troika, but for OS4 too.

DoodooHead 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 20:59:51
#228 ]
Cult Member

@Seehund

Quote:
If anyone indeed believes that totally irrelevant, pointless, unneeded, unwanted and not to mention inexistent so-called "Amiga hardware" would scare any hardware producer worth his salt, then I think that's scary! ;)

Perhaps to you Amiga Hardware is irrelevant and pointless. It is needed and wanted by anyone here who want to run Amiga OS4. As far as inexistent, it will be shown on the 23rd and 24th of this month in Italy and probably already exists today, on the 5th.

BB was the only one with OS4 capable hardware for sale. He never got a license for OS4. Now his sales opportunities are slipping away as other hardware becomes available. Maybe he's not scared, but saddened at his lost opportunity.

che 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:20:10
#229 ]

@Seehund

Quote:
AOS4 can NOT do without commercially attractive hardware. Else it can't be sold.

I have a CSPPC and I would immediatly buy a copy of AOS4.0. (I paid once $50 in advance for that) And i'm shure i'm not the only who would buy it. But the numbers are getting lower and lower, as Morphos Powerup runs pretty well.

Markus

pixie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:20:40
#230 ]
Elite Member

@DoodooHead

Do you even know what fud is...

che 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:27:01
#231 ]

@DoodooHead

Quote:
BB was the only one with OS4 capable hardware for sale. He never got a license for OS4.

I can remember me that there was an exibition in Australia where Amiga Inc and B-Plan announced the new Amiga. But it failed to some (unknown for me) reason.

I found a link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20001217051300/http://www.amiga.com/corporate/102100-mcewen.shtml

Markus

Last edited by che on 05-Sep-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Last edited by che on 05-Sep-2006 at 09:27 PM.

pixie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:30:19
#232 ]
Elite Member

@DoodooHead

Quote:
BB was the only one with OS4 capable hardware for sale. He never got a license for OS4. Now his sales opportunities are slipping away as other hardware becomes available. Maybe he's not scared, but saddened at his lost opportunity.

I bet AmigaOS would take the world by storm had it had Hardware.. I bet it's a more viable alternative to those few OSS he already have on Pegasos, for f sake, get real... Pegasos was an oppurtunity for AmigaOS be shown to the world in a decent platform, but no, let's keep it hanging because of those license issues, Amiga Inc is in control, they have set a path... let's blindly fallow it because... time had proved the path is well set and well worth it

DoodooHead 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:30:59
#233 ]
Cult Member

@pixie

Well, there is this two-headed entity here trying to convince me that no hardware for Amiga OS4 is ever going to be available. It is trying to make me give up on waiting for such hardware, to give up on ever running OS4, trying to get me to buy some hardware from it's company instead. It's trying to get me to run some other OS instead. It is trying to create fear that what I have been waiting for, is never going to come. It is trying to create uncertainty in my mind about the waiting that I am doing. It is trying to create doubt about the arrival of the hardware and operating system that I await.

I believe that there will be hardware to run OS4 on. I believe that OS4 will be released. I will wait until that time. No matter what the two-headed one says.

bbrv 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:33:36
#234 ]

@DoodooHead

You are more aptly named than we could have ever hoped. Thanks for playing!

@ssolie

Just talk? Did we mention they were are customer too? BTW, that page went live *after* the AMD transaction...

@Seehund

Please continue to enhance our faith in the Community that is left and participates.

@all

We are done for now (participation works both ways! ). Thanks to pixie, gary and TMHG for trying to illuminate the situation. We appreciate it. Oh billt, yes, there is a chance, a big one, but that will depend on whether or not we can get all the doodoo out of the requisite heads.

Let's see what happens next!

R&B

ssolie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:40:13
#235 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv
Quote:
Just talk? Did we mention they were are customer too? BTW, that page went live *after* the AMD transaction...

So where exactly do I enter in my credit card number to buy that new PPC board running OS4 again? Or should I go to Power.org and talk about this some more. Talk, talk, talk.

pixie 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 21:44:54
#236 ]
Elite Member

@DoodooHead

Quote:
It is trying to make me give up on waiting for such hardware, to give up on ever running OS4, trying to get me to buy some hardware from it's company instead.

Sadly Mac represtatives doesn't see AmigaOS as a slightest oppurtunity, here you have someone presenting the hardware, but you prefer to keep waiting for hardware which is to be delivered real soon now (tm), probably it's you who have reasons to be afraid, be very afraid...

Quote:
I believe that there will be hardware to run OS4 on. I believe that OS4 will be released. I will wait until that time. No matter what the two-headed one says.

no comment

Jorge 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 23:32:49
#237 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv

Quote:
Thanks to pixie, gary and TMHG

Oh boy. I am just curious. When new HW running OS4 will be available, will you still request a Genesi paltform, even the same spectrum of machines will be available from various vendors ? Or are you willing to accept to buy what's available some times and stop whining for a minute ?

Maybe I am expecting too much.

I am not sure if a platform (power.org) which involves only the big names isn't a little bit too much weight to cary for a light weight like Amiga...

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

saimo 
Posted on 5-Sep-2006 23:55:14
#238 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Quote:
BBRV/Genesi or any other remotely relevant hardware producer don't "want" AOS4.

It never crossed my mind that one could go badly after something he/she does not want. I feel enlightened

Quote:
They want to sell hardware, and AOS doesn't help sell hardware any more than the other OSs which already run on their hardware.

Let me get it straight - English is not my native language, so I'd like to make sure I'm not misinterpreting you.
Are you saying that AOS4 would not help selling the HW because there are already other OSes doing the job? Fine. What is BB doing here, then?
Or - as it seems to me - are you saying that AOS4 *would* help (although not more than the other OSes) selling the HW and thus, obviously, a welcome addition to the collection of OSes? Fine. Then I don't get how it can be that he wants to sell HW, he realizes AOS4 can help and still he does not want AOS. And, on top of that, there's the fact that he's been after AOS4 ever since. I kinda feel short-circuited.

Quote:
Rather the opposite, I'd think. Either way it's worth neither money nor time to try to get permission, a licence, to be allowed to try to sell AOS bundled with and dongled to their hardware

BB has invested and keeps investing time and money to get AOS4 (and this very thread is just the last example). The license may not be worth it, but AOS4 is
In practice, he's just trying to dodge the license. Whether because he just cannot get it or does not want it is unknown and, after all, irrelevant: in both cases he is playing questionable games.

Quote:
For their sake I hope BBRV are only wooing AmigaOS loci in their spare time when they have nothing better to do...

I'll be very worried the day I can't find anything better than investing my time, energies and money to go after something I don't need (or even don't want at all).

Quote:
AOS4 can NOT do without commercially attractive hardware. Else it can't be sold.

Agreed. But... where's the news?

Quote:
None of whatever pointless projects which have gotten their pre-progress reports pre-pre-pre-announced are commercially attractive.

Unless you mean something else - in which case I'd ask you to elaborate -, you are saying the projects being discussed these days are commercially pointless, right? So, what facts can back up this statement? You know, without them, this is spreading FUD.

saimo

saimo 
Posted on 6-Sep-2006 0:31:27
#239 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
Thanks to pixie, gary and TMHG for trying to illuminate the situation.

If you had been straight and clear right from the start, there would not have been any need of illumination from other willingly people. But you missed that chance a long time ago.
Anyway, here's another chance. A couple of simple questions that require only very simple answers:
- do you want AOS4?
- have you ever tried / are you trying to get the license (in a fully professional and legal way, I mean)?
Mmm... come to think of it... those must have been asked a million times already! I guess I missed the answers. Anyways, I'll be happy also with very short answers. You are used to post a lot, so I guess this won't be a major hassle for you.

saimo

DoodooHead 
Posted on 6-Sep-2006 1:23:10
#240 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv

Quote:
Oh billt, yes, there is a chance, a big one, but that will depend on whether or not we can get all the doodoo out of the requisite heads.

Oh BBRV, yes, if you can just get all of these people to stop hanging out at Amigaworld.net and get them all to go over to power.org...

Oh BBRV, yes, if you can just get all of these people to buy an EFIKA and run Linux...

Oh BBRV, yes, if you can just get all of the articles in Total Amiga Magazine to be about you...

Oh BBRV, yes, if you can just get the last few coders in the Amiga community to switch platforms...

Oh BBRV, yes, if you can just get the last users of Amiga OS to give it up...

Amiga will be dead. Oh Joy. You will have sucess.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle