Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
53 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ggw:  49 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 retrofaza:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

PosterThread
saimo 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 6-Sep-2006 11:04:02
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:

"the name"

It is an often repeated urban myth that there was ever a big value attached to the name.

Ask 1000 (random)people wether the know what Amiga is and you might come up with more "wrong" (a record label, a telecom-company) answers than right ones. Most of them will just shrug. Those who knwo the right answer are people who actuall used a an Amiga back in the days.

Actually, my personal experience is quite different: the minority did not know about it, and the majority did remember about a very nice machine (whether they had owned one or not). Nobody has ever mistaken the Amiga for anything other than a computer. That may be because I live in Europe, but then this means that there is at least this relevant area of the world where "The Name" has a certain importance.
Keep in mind that although the number of persons that remember the Amiga (with fondness) may not be large, it is still more than zero, and thus to be taken into account. Overlooking such an aspect would be definetely unwise from a marketing POV.

Quote:
These people would either know what happened after 94,

Millions of people used Amigas and, no, the awareness of what has happened since the demise of Commodore is not so widespread.
But, after all, that is irrelevant: do you think that those who know the story automatically think that the Amiga sucks? That is dead and gone and not worth thinking about even for just a second? That such a nice machine cannot be back? I'm one who knows and, despite I fully see the technological and economical limitations that ensued the bad times Amiga went through, I do not think that the Amiga sucks. Indeed, the knowledge of the story teaches me that Amiga is in bad waters for many reasons but technogical validity. I know I'm not alone
Sure, the memory of some people may have been polluted by the "dark ages", but I really can't see why the knowledge of the story would repel the majority of the potential customers.

Quote:
or would atleast inform themselves before spending $$$$.

Of course. The majority of people makes sure it is not about to throw money away before a purchase. But "The Name" is only meant to attract attention. Nothing else. It a commercial strenght. If then The Name is attached to a good/interesting product, then you have a winning combination.

Quote:
Now compare that to names like "Commodore" or "Apple", brands where even those who never had such a computer (or any other) will still know what you are talking about.
The C64 (and before that the VIC and other C=s) were the dominant (home)computer of their time. The Amiga never managed to get even close to the C64's number, despite the overall market-size literally exploding in that time-frame.

So what? What are you trying to say? Maybe that The Name has no importance because there are other more important names? If so, that's a flawed reasoning: The Name may be less known and important than others, but still it retains a certain degree of importance.

saimo

P.S. I know this sounds terribly OT and stale, but I personally find that despising The Name only to get it for less is unacceptable (this is not meant to be specifically directed at Kronos).

Last edited by saimo on 06-Sep-2006 at 11:16 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle