Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 46 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ggw:  1 hr ago
 clint:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 retrofaza:  3 hrs 59 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

PosterThread
saimo 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 13:10:07
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Quote:

Quote:

It never crossed my mind that one could go badly after something he/she does not want. I feel enlightened

Who's going after AOS4?
If you're referring to the Genesi vs AInc lawsuit, there was barely any effort to try to get the court to interpret the contract broken by AInc to include AOS instead of the inexistent "AmigaDE Operating System". It looked like a hip-shot in the dark to me, it missed, and the issue wasn't pursuited further.

Since 3-level quoting does not work (at least here), I have to re-arrange things a bit.

We started discussing here because you freely decided to answer my post #212 with the post #225, to which I answered with the post #238 (topmost quote above).

For convenience, here's what I said in post #212:
Quote:

I said "you" (="BBRV"), not "Genesi".
BBRV wants AOS4, and new HW for AOS4 means that AOS4 can do without him.

It is (and always been) more than clear who I am referring to. So, please, stop playing these games.
(And, no, I was not referring to the lawsuit.)

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying that AOS4 would not help selling the HW because there are already other OSes doing the job? Fine. What is BB doing here, then?

I keep asking myself that. :) But believe it or not, I think it IS entirely possible that a vendor of an Amiga-like system would be likely to hang out in various fora for Amiga-like stuff, and this without being specifically interested in becoming the owner of AOS4 - or even a licensed reseller of hardware bundled with it.

Sure. Only that BB does not simply hang out and has nice chats with other fellow Amigans. He does much more than that (also outside of forums). It definitely seems that you want to deny this and, well, I'd be very, very surprised if you wanted to arrive to that point. I don't even want to know why. If you care, I suggest you go and look at all that BB has been publically saying and doing in the past years. I personally can't afford to do this huge job for you, especially considering that I suspect that it would be completely useless, given that you've been around for a long time.

Quote:

It doesn't seem like bigger opportunities are neglected just because they occasionally post here. Otherwise he needs a slap on his head! :)

Just to be clear, I've never even remotely hinted at this.

Quote:
Quote:
Or - as it seems to me - are you saying that AOS4 *would* help (although not more than the other OSes) selling the HW and thus, obviously, a welcome addition to the collection of OSes? Fine. Then I don't get how it can be that he wants to sell HW, he realizes AOS4 can help and still he does not want AOS.

There's a difference between entering a licensing agreement with people like AInc to sell hardware bundled with AOS and all which that entails, and simply selling hardware that AOS can be bought for. Return On Investment, and all that.

It's you that is reading "want" as "own". I never said that. In fact, if you read my post #239 - a direct question to BBRV - and several other posts of mine, you can see that I indeed consider the license.

Quote:

Quote:
And, on top of that, there's the fact that he's been after AOS4 ever since. I kinda feel short-circuited.

What fact? Been after how? Since when?

If you want to re-write history, feel free. But don't expect me (and others) to attend the lecture

Now, again the 3-levels quoting problem - please excuse the re-arrangment.
I wrote this (post #238):
Quote:

BB has invested and keeps investing time and money to get AOS4 (and this very thread is just the last example). The license may not be worth it, but AOS4 is
In practice, he's just trying to dodge the license. Whether because he just cannot get it or does not want it is unknown and, after all, irrelevant: in both cases he is playing questionable games.

as a reply to:

Quote:
Rather the opposite, I'd think. Either way it's worth neither money nor time to try to get permission, a licence, to be allowed to try to sell AOS bundled with and dongled to their hardware

Now you say:
Quote:

Dodge, questionable... Sounds like you think he's doing something illegit!

I really hope he never broke the law. But, for sure, as I have already discussed in this thread, the way he behaved, and keeps behaving is all but professional and orthodox.
That aside, given that you have been happy with writing just that remark, I take it that you agree that AOS4 is indeed worth the efforts (unlike you originally said).

Quote:
Quote:
I'll be very worried the day I can't find anything better than investing my time, energies and money to go after something I don't need (or even don't want at all).

What's with this "going after" rhetoric?

"Rethoric"?!? Sure, BBRV never tried to get access to AOS4, I've dreamt it all by myself and now I'm enjoying the exercise of involving everybody here in my wild dream

Quote:
You, me, BBRV and a few hundred others are merely participating in discussions here

Sure, we're all here for the same reasons...

Quote:
(and marketing, as it were, when it comes to the various commercial entitites posting here).

... so what's the use of saying what you wrote above when immediately after you write just the opposite?
You said:

a) you, me and BBRV just discussing
b) commercial entities doing marketing

but BBRV represent a commercial entity and, guess what, they have opened this thread exactly in that role, for marketing reasons.
It strongly looks like you tried to dimish the relevance of BBRV interventions - which matches perfectly the history rewrite above.

Quote:
If anyone's going after immaterai properties, they'd probably have better luck employing other methods than posting messages on a community forum.

Tell BBRV, not us.

Ouch. We're again in 3-level quotes troubles.
We were saying:
Quote:
Quote:
None of whatever pointless projects which have gotten their pre-progress reports pre-pre-pre-announced are commercially attractive.

Unless you mean something else - in which case I'd ask you to elaborate -, you are saying the projects being discussed these days are commercially pointless, right? So, what facts can back up this statement? You know, without them, this is spreading FUD.

and you replied:
Quote:

No, it's not FUD! It's my certain and undoubtful opinion as a participant in this forum. I'm not selling any competing hardware.

You like to play games to dodge the points you cannot counter.
Let's play the game, then.
The link you posted says: "FUD is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that IBM sales people instill in the minds of potential customers who might be considering [Amdahl] products."
You are not interpreting yourself that line strictly, otherwise FUD could be applied to IBM only. For your own convenience, you are interpreting your own way. So, why shouldn't I be able to interpret it my own way? Now, I tell you what: I use "FUD" in the most general and common sense, i.e. "Fear Uncertainty and Doubt" spread against something (for whatever reason/agenda).
Now, the fact is that you are trying to escape my questions, which means that you don't have any valid argument.

Quote:

Fact: People generally don't prefer to buy outdated, underperforming, slowly if at all developed, overpriced and poorly marketed computer hardware. Not when there's contemporary, well-performing, continuously developed, competitively priced and heavily marketed computer hardware available.

Right. And how do you know that the projects being developed these days are "outdated, underperforming, slowly if at all developed, overpriced" and will be "poorly marketed"? This is just more FUD.

Quote:

Quote:

Case in point: AInc's compulsory hardware licencing scheme and the "AmigaOne" failure.
Heck, make that every failure in history of technology that didn't evolve fast enough, cost little enough, perform well enough, and thus didn't sell enough, which in turn led to slow evolution, high prices...

Now AmigaOS has for IMO no good reason been locked in that vicious circle again. I don't think AmigaOS per se is enough incentive to lure any significant number of new users to pay a premium for pretending that there still are "Amigas" and for running around in a vicious circle that's deliberately been made as small as possible.

This has nothing to do with the FUD-related discussion above and is yet another attempt at diverting the attention, shifting it on the license issue (which, BTW, I have already dealt with in other posts).

saimo

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.polka.7-Sep-2006 13:36:24
          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo7-Sep-2006 15:53:00
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.jorkany7-Sep-2006 15:32:57
          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Zylesea7-Sep-2006 15:47:55
          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Seehund7-Sep-2006 16:48:11
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Seehund7-Sep-2006 16:43:53
          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo7-Sep-2006 18:03:52
              Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Benji7-Sep-2006 18:10:16
                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo7-Sep-2006 18:30:32
                      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.jkirk8-Sep-2006 12:15:18
                          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.saimo8-Sep-2006 14:21:52

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle