Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 46 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ggw:  59 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 retrofaza:  3 hrs 59 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

PosterThread
Jorge 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 8-Sep-2006 16:43:07
#1 ]
Cult Member

@opi

Sorry, I didn't want to sound that serious. My appology if I did (should put more smileys into my posts)

But, yes, QNX was free, but is not any more. QSS withdrew their Neutrino 6 release from the free download. Momentics was there for a while, too, but is now an "evaluation" version.

Why I mentioned

Quote:
But you will quickly learn, that this version is not usable in everydays business.

is, because usually you don't run QNX on your PC. You'll need a target environment + tools. As soon as you make that step, you have to invest into the project. And thus, if you seriously want to deliver, QNX costs money.

Quote:
Well, I didn't brought it up -- but I wouldn't mind to see AmigaOS in position of QNX: well performing, respected, and running on dozen of boards OS that can be used by developers and as end-env. for your products.

Yes, I agree. And a couple of years market availablility. Give AmigaOS time. Now, even before the OS is on the market, it looks like there will be some boards available before end of the year. Do you think QNX had that number of boards supported from the beginning ? I guess not, it grew into what it is now.

And still, I admit, they have tough competition. On one end from Linux and the other thru other embedded OS vendors.

I think what could make a difference for AmigaOS is its target to Multimedia (which is still a open issue in the embedded world - but filling up quickly) and its very easy way to configure (compared to e.g. Linux).

Also, QSS showed, that with their business model, one can be sucessfull. It is similar to Amiga's license model, which cannot be that restrict because it also targets the "home" market, which QNX simply does not (thus higher prices). But in principle, I would say they are closer then e.g. to Linux/Windows/Mac etc.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle