Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 walkero:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Yssing:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 kas1e:  2 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  nVidia in trouble ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Seer 
nVidia in trouble ?
Posted on 6-Oct-2009 22:44:53
#1 ]
Team Member

If this is true then nVidia seems to be in rather big trouble.

I do favor ATI to be honest, tho this can't be good for competition or prices overall. Intel's GFX parts are still under development as well, nVidia's GT300/Fermi is apparently not ready either, and likely to expensive as well.

The fall of a Giant ? Or..?

Last edited by Seer on 06-Oct-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Frek 
Re: nVidia in trouble ?
Posted on 6-Oct-2009 22:56:32
#2 ]

@Seer

Is it just me or does the site seem funded by AMD?

Seer 
Posted on 6-Oct-2009 23:02:06
#3 ]
Team Member

@Frek

Not sure if they are funded, but ATI does seem to have a lot of ads on it. Still, the article does seem to hold some merit considering other sites tell something similar, the wording is in favor of ATI for sure on SemiAccurate.

Point is, if nVidia is stopping production of the GT200 series they either are ready to ship the GT300 serie soon or SemiAccurate is correct.

Frek 
Posted on 6-Oct-2009 23:05:34
#4 ]

@Seer

All other sites seems to reference to SemiAccurate,
There's also words going that the author is SemiAccurates response to John Dovrak.

Seer 
Posted on 6-Oct-2009 23:09:14
#5 ]
Team Member

@Frek

Most sites I've seen either refer Digitimes or Fudzilla. The latter is well... Fud zilla..

Frek 
Posted on 6-Oct-2009 23:37:49
#6 ]

@Seer

Yeah well, I guess will find out eventually..
There been rumors about Apple breaking up the Nvidia partnership for some months too;
And there is probably a reason behind it if that's the case.

Hans 
Posted on 6-Oct-2009 23:58:56
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Seer

Quote:

Seer wrote:

The fall of a Giant ? Or..?

To be fair, they are competing with an even bigger giant thanks to AMD swallowing up ATI. Intel looks like it's also going to be taking a serious shot at the high performance graphics market too, so competition won't die if NVidia don't make it through this.

Hans

Karlos 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 0:04:38
#8 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

I wouldn't be so quick to write off nVidia. Much is made of their having to compete with AMD+ATI but not so long ago, AMD were valued at less than they actually paid to acquire ATI.

I'm not convinced about Intel's Larrabee, but it would be interesting to be proved wrong.

If the G200 series is to be scrapped, well, that'd be a shame. I still plan to keep mine for a while yet :)

CodeSmith 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 0:05:41
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Seer

I'd take that article with a pinch of salt, and find at least one other source that corroborates it. Charlie Demerjian is one of the new breed of tech journalist who puts an extremist slant on what he writes in order to rile people up and push up page views. He used to write for theinquirer.net, a tech news site that often uses writers of that type; you should be able to find more examples of that, especially if the article in question is about MS, Apple or Google (ie the companies that have the most passionate followers/detrators)

minator 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 0:22:04
#10 ]
Cult Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I'd take that article with a pinch of salt, and find at least one other source that corroborates it.

Fudzilla also has a story about Nvidia having a few problems but it's not written in nearly such a sensational style. Not surprising given the guy who runs Fudzilla seems to have a very good reputation.

Charlie Demerjian really seems to have something against Nvidia, yes they screw up at times ...now try finding a chip company that doesn't.

He used to hate Sony and ran similar articles about them. Trouble is they were so inaccurate it was generally a better idea to believe the exact opposite!

So yes, read with a pinch of salt - a large one.

I wouldn't count Nvidia out at all, they are about to make a major push into consumer mobile devices with Tegra (an ARM based processor with their graphics core) and a whole list of companies are using it.

Frek 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 0:25:39
#11 ]

@minator

Regardless of the validity of the article, it does only say nvidia abandons the high and mid -end market.
I guess that practically would mean they could stay around in the embedded market.

--

Edit:
Otherwise I agree with your post.

Last edited by Frek on 07-Oct-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 0:32:31
#12 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

True. A lot of it is (pretty harsh) speculation based on only a few facts.

I've seen this kind of behaviour from journalists rise. Even the BBC has published articles which state how others "might feel" rather than stick to the facts. In some cases it looks like journalists have actually triggered events by suggesting that "so and so might be offended by this or that." So and so reads that they might be offended about something that they normally wouldn't know or care about, and thus feels offended. Next, the journalists get to report on the resulting conflict that they "predicted" might happen.

It's really easy to rile people up by taking a few facts, pulling them out of context, adding a good dose of speculation, and then feeding it to people who don't know enough about the original facts (e.g., totally not the target audience) to be able to form their own informed opinions.

In this case, if this were taken seriously, speculating that NVidia dying is inevitable could easily trigger shareholder panic, resulting in NVidia dying as "predicted." That probably won't happen, but it wouldn't be the first time that a company's stocks nosedived from rumours. Remember what happened to Apple's stocks when the Steve Jobs heart attack hoax hit?

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 0:35:34
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:

Karlos wrote:
I'm not convinced about Intel's Larrabee, but it would be interesting to be proved wrong.

Nor am I, but Intel appears to be putting a lot of work into Larrabee.

Hans

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 2:23:59
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Seer

I doubt it's true. GT300 is supposed to come out in Nov. according to nVidia. I don't know how much product they have unsold in the pipeline but they well may be discounting them for the Christmas rush to make way on the shelves for the GT300 part. In additon Nvidia recently stated they can cut-down the GT300 to make mid range performance parts.

Intel Larabee won't been seen until 2010. I imagine it'll be fine. But, I'd suspect the Larabee2 to be a larger competitor.

NVidida has other parts such as Tegra mobile processing and Netbook chipsets. It would see that with Intel shipping a GPU on the CPU the lower end, and AMD's motherboard GPU being superior that Nvidia motherboard parts, to me, seem to be short lived. Doesn't mean they can't do GPU's. Though the whole locking out PhysX stunt they pulled is stupid. IMO it'll kill PhysX in the long run.

tomazkid 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 3:09:56
#15 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Regarding Intel in graphics, noticed recently that some games only supports ATI and NVidia. Never Winter Nights 2 latests expansions are an example of a game that does not start with Intel or Sis gfx-chips.

Hans 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 3:32:01
#16 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
@BrianK

Regarding Intel in graphics, noticed recently that some games only supports ATI and NVidia. Never Winter Nights 2 latests expansions are an example of a game that does not start with Intel or Sis gfx-chips.

Because, to be blunt, current Intel and Sis graphics chips suck GPU-wise. Intel knows that their current graphics chips are poor, which is one of the reasons why so much is riding on Larrabee for them.

Hans

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 3:46:16
#17 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

ATI and nVidia are the 2 leading graphic card companies. Intel ships lots of integrated chipset graphics but it often doesn't have the power to play games. AMD integrated chipsets, 780G/790G/785G, are more game capable. Video of AMD 780G vs Intel G35 The serious gamer is not going to use integrated but instead use an add-in GPGPU card.

As for SiS, do they make anything other than integrated graphics? Again not for the gamer.

This doesn't mean that things won't change in the next year. Intel is focusing on graphics. Both with improved integration as part of the CPU (Clarksdale) and as a GPGPU in Larabee. Larabee will do DirectX and will be the gamer choice over the integrated GPU/CPU. I suspect we'll see Larabee able to do NWN2, once the card is released next year.

IMO 2010 is important for graphics. DirectX11 comes out. (BTW nVidia has talked down it's importance.) Also, no new consoles will come until around 2012. I'd expect a 2012 console to have the GPU performance of at least the top end of 2010.

tomazkid 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 5:14:23
#18 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:
As for SiS, do they make anything other than integrated graphics? Again not for the gamer.

True, but that kind of attitude from game houses prevents the games to be played on laptops, where both Sis and Intel are quite common.

Last edited by tomazkid on 07-Oct-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 5:25:22
#19 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:

True, but that kind of attitude from game houses prevents the games to be played on laptops, where both SiS and Intel are quite common.

It's not so much attitude, as lack of full shader support in Intel and Sis. AFAIK, neither company has released a graphics chipset with a GPU that can support GLSL/DirectX-9+ shaders. I doubt that these game houses could get their games running on Intel and Sis chipsets at playable frame-rates.

Hans

Seer 
Posted on 7-Oct-2009 7:47:29
#20 ]
Team Member

There's also the news that the top people of nVidia now have a salary of 1 dollar a year, off course not taking into account stock and other stuff. (Something other big companies should do I think, management make enough already)

Also, nVidia has not shown a finished card only a mock-up. Nobody has seen the prototype afaik, just a pc running some DX11 / DirectCompute stuff. ATI did the same with the 5870 tho.

As a side note, ATI is rumoured to have a next gen coming up, not a refresh, 3rd quarter next year.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle