Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 74 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Kronos:  5 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  18 mins ago
 kriz:  21 mins ago
 OlafS25:  26 mins ago
 matthey:  41 mins ago
 miggymac:  51 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Register To Post

PosterThread
digitaldisaster 
Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Posted on 9-Aug-2004 22:37:17
#1 ]
Cult Member

@blitterstorm

I will look into the possibility of open sourcing the design, it depends on the licensing restrictions palced on the design by momentum.
Yes, I want to involve as many communities as possible but I am not sure how to go about this and I am but one man, if you know forums where you can publicse this then by all means go forth and do so, we will have to come up with ways of publicising the website once it laucnhes. Also Apple killed their clones business a long time ago and I don't think jobs is about to change his mind, although I sup[ose there is no harm in asking closer to the time.
I don't think their is a simulator available, I certainly haven't heard of one if there is and momentum and IBM don't publicise details of it, you would probably ahve to buy a board to get it anyway, that seems to be the only way to get anything out of momentum.
IBM have tried a few times to create an open PowerPC specification first with CHRP (COmmon hardware Reference Platform) then with POP (PowerPC Open Platform) but both times a lack of support from the largest PowerPC desktop manufacturer (Apple) has sunk the project before it canget off the ground. Check out www.openppc.org

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board13-Aug-2004 18:26:15
          Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster13-Aug-2004 19:26:33
              Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board13-Aug-2004 21:29:53
                  Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster14-Aug-2004 9:41:38

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Posted on 6-Aug-2004 5:30:32
# ]

Damn I see some dangers making the design open source

Somme rich and BAD computer firm could just take the design, and make a bigg a** production and sell it before Eyetech could put it into production, get the board produced at a much lower prices than Eyetech could manege, and sell it for a lower prices.

Eytech would not a hard time to sell it to the general ppc market, and have problems to get the manufacturing off scale bonus, as lots of potential customers have already bougth the same product for a cheaper price.

The BAD computer firm would then be the big winner, got free R&D, and we would lose.

In this ligth I see it would be better if R&D is done inhouse in Eyetech, with the aid of digitaldisaster and eventualy other amiga engineers and technicans.

Some stuff, may be done in the open withouth to much risk

Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster9-Aug-2004 22:51:24

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle