Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  18 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 Torque:  36 mins ago
 zipper:  45 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  57 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 bendito:  2 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Sub-thread concerning comments mad in Amiga inc Hires Jamie Krueger
Register To Post

PosterThread
ShadesOfGrey 
Re: Sub-thread concerning comments mad in Amiga inc Hires Jamie Krueger
Posted on 1-Feb-2008 4:25:38
#1 ]

@-pekr-

Quote:
Well, I really don't know what makes you believe, that JAVA has any impact on desktop apps at all. As for mobile platforms, then yes, but once again - ask someone how cool it is to develop for JAVA for mobiles and how "compatible" those releases are even with single vendor as Nokia. Besides that, Sun pretty much announced, they will further pursue only the "big" JAVA.

As for Silverlight, that might be better, but doesn't it need all the .Net crap? How big is .Net 2.x? If the "environment" comes with your device, it is OK, if you will need to upgrade, well then, you might be in trouble, if you want to do it online.

I think you misunderstood my point. My position is, there are other entrenched solutions that are likely to be more attractive than AA2, if for no other reason then they are Sun, Microsoft, Trolltech/Nokia products. Other reasons are they tried & tested and are all open source (in one way or another), among others.

Quote:
So, my intention is not to defend some mysterious AA2. It is not based on Intent after all, so what actually is it? I think that Bill would make the best decision to partner Carl Sassenrath and base AA2 upon REBOL 3 - still a thing under 1MB of storage. Good for mobile level apps. Well, you will not use it for anything like Doom clone or to create MS Word, but R3 goes the AA2 route anyway.

Just so we're clear. My intention wasn't to defend Java as the desktop application platform of choice. It just happened to be a valid example of what AA2 is up against. Just as .Net/Mono & Silverlight/Moonlight. Even REBOL could be a contender dpending on what you want to accomplish.

Personally though,I don't think AA2 is based on REBOL. This is just a gut feeling. I have to say I haven't kept up with REBOL and have no idea if it's capable of providing what McEwen claims AA2 can.

Quote:
In something like 5 years, my prediction is, that there is no point in OS at all. So what is OS4 in that five years anyway? Who will care and why? Browser becomes one big containers for other technologies. OS will be more like a firmware - you need it, you know it is there, but who cares about how it is called or what exactly it does, if it does that efficiently enough.

Only content will matter.

OS4 may very well become irrelevant in five years... Maybe it already is. I don't know.

As to whether browser's becoming containers for other technologies. I'm not sure how to respond. What do you mean exactly?

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle