Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 Matt3k:  21 mins ago
 Kronos:  27 mins ago
 pixie:  35 mins ago
 densho:  35 mins ago
 matthey:  36 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  49 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  UltimatePPC - year after
Register To Post

PosterThread
Comi 
Re: UltimatePPC - year after
Posted on 9-Sep-2019 21:14:35
#1 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Update September 5th, 2019
About 7 years ago Gideon and I reconnected and kicked off this great adventure to build cool new hardware for the Amiga. We vowed to be better than all the other vaporware in the amiga history and create something cool. Unfortunately I failed. At the time of creating the prototype (which stirred a lot of comments on nearly everything) I got a new job that consumed all of my available time and some things happened in my personal life that upset nearly everything. Gideon plowed along on the design and PCBs but I was not able to support him on that, and the software part (my part) stalled, and then stopped. I always thought I would revisit the project at some point - but to be honest, I'd rather spend some time with Gideon as a friend - talk about life and our challenges in it - I've not been very good at that in the last years With all the new cool stuff coming out by Lukas now (check out the awesome ZZ9000) I'm officially declaring the UltimatePPC the best project ever that did not make it past the prototype phase. I'll see what I can and will do with the boards we have, maybe they will go to Folkert for the future Amiga museum. As for all the other work, it might end up in another project someday. Who knows. Now I want to go back to being an Amiga-enthusiast and being Gideon's friend. Feel free to reach out! BR, Rutger

A-Eon or other Amiga company (Elbox, A Cube,..) can contact them and consider relese, upgrade...

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
amigadave 
Re: UltimatePPC - year after
Posted on 10-Sep-2019 0:29:29
#1 ]

@kamelito

Quote:

kamelito wrote:
@amigadave

No link but I remember it, it was Jim Drew who wrote that at least the part I read.
Kamelito

Thanks for the reply, but IIRC;

Jim Drew became aware of the FPGA Arcade Replay long after Mike J. created it So, although Jim Drew might have done some coding work on recent drivers for the Arcade Replay, I don't believe that he did any of the early work, and that most, if not all of that work was done by Mike J. himself, unless he was using someone else's 68k emulation code. I seem to remember that Mike J. was proud of his own work on the 68k emulation part, and believed that it could be optimized further, to create a faster Amiga implementation. Not sure if it was just 68000 emulation/implementation, or if it included 68020, 68030, 68040, or 68060 instructions. I would guess that it was straight 68000, or 68020, which could be run at close to 100MHz speed, or faster, on the FPGA that the Arcade Replay uses.

It's been a long time since I have played with my FPGA Arcade Replay board, but I still have hopes that Mike J. will begin selling the add-on daughter boards with the 68060 socket, more RAM, and an Ethernet port (maybe one or two USB ports as well, I have forgotten all the specs for the daughter board). I think it is a shame that the few people creating FPGA boards don't work together on certain parts that could be shared between the many different boards produced, instead of each doing so much work separately, and wasting time by such duplication of efforts.

I'll have to do some research to see what's new regarding the Arcade Replay, and when (if ever) the daughter board is going to be available for purchase. I think the Arcade Replay is a great little board, with lots of potential. It's just a shame that it has taken Mike J. so long to finalize it's design, and coding, as I thought that he could have perhaps sold many hundreds or thousands of them, had he completed it sooner, and sold it to both former Amiga & Atari users, as well as anyone interested in old arcade games. I still think such a board, if mass produced at a low enough price, and marketed to the right channels, including people selling retro arcade supplies and cabinets, could be a great success, but no one seems motivated to try to create such a large audience of customers.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: UltimatePPC - year afterkamelito10-Sep-2019 7:01:44
      Re: UltimatePPC - year afterOlafS2510-Sep-2019 14:01:44
          Re: UltimatePPC - year afterkamelito11-Sep-2019 12:26:58
      Re: UltimatePPC - year afterOneTimer110-Sep-2019 17:08:19

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle