Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  10 mins ago
 matthey:  46 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 1 min ago
 agami:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 minator:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 davidf215:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 31 mins ago
 zipper:  6 hrs 30 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  7 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Problem installing WHDLoad
Register To Post

PosterThread
papado 
Problem installing WHDLoad
Posted on 18-Feb-2007 0:47:44
#1 ]

Hey everyone! I am running a WB3.1 machine in WinUAE. The OS was installed just fine (as far as I know), but some problems occur when trying to install WHDLoad with installerNG. Specifically, the error message it outputs is
"Error: Error while creating GUI elements
Function: Welcome
Line: 73
Char: 4"

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Thanks for any help!

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Problem installing WHDLoad
Posted on 18-Feb-2007 9:10:56
#2 ]
Elite Member

@papado

Install WHDLoad with 3.1 installer (I don't know why, but some programs hate installerNG). Was whdload installation successful, except this message?

jmbattle 
Posted on 18-Feb-2007 9:13:46
#3 ]

@papado

I hope you're not using AIAB... ;(

Unfortunately, despite showing great promise, InstallerNG never quite gained sufficient stability or reliability to replace the original Amiga Installer (under classic 68k systems at least - I gather that OS4.0's installer is based heavily on InstallerNG).

Try reverting back to the installer on Aminet (or indeed, search the OS3.9 SDK), and your WHDload installation issues should be resolved.

Regardless WHDload does not really require installation as such; copying the binaries to C: should suffice.

Cheers,
James
x

papado 
Posted on 18-Feb-2007 13:00:25
#4 ]

@jmbattle

Thanks guys! By the way, really sorry for this next obvious question, but I am kind of new to amigaOS (second day using it) so I don't quite know how to use the 3.1 installer (the one found in C:, right?) yet. Does anyone know how I could go about finding out how to use it? Also you mentioned the installer on Aminet and the 3.9OS installer; how can I get a hold of those?

Thanks again!

PS: How do I go about copying (instead of just moving) files in WB3.1?

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Feb-2007 15:23:32
#5 ]
Elite Member

@papado

1)When you install an application, it uses Sys:C/installer (automatically).
If you want to use newer installer (v 43):

http://aminet.net/util/misc/Installer-43_3.lha

or InstallerNG:

http://aminet.net/util/sys/InstallerNG.lha

You can even choose between them:
rename not prefered installer (for example v3.1 Installer to installer31), click on its icon and choose in menu icon-put away.

Now all install scripts will use new installer (for example installerNG).
If you want to use older one: click on its icon in WB, hold shift and doubleclick on install script icon.

2) Copy
click on the icon, choose in the menu icon-copy ("copy of file" is created) or you can drag the file on the RAM disk icon (file is copied to RAM) or you can use Shell.

I recommend use Directory Opus or similar program

http://dopus.free.fr/download.php

And don't forget visit www.amiga.com (many useful links are in the right side of the amigaos section)

Last edited by pavlor on 18-Feb-2007 at 03:29 PM.

papado 
Posted on 18-Feb-2007 19:54:41
#6 ]

@pavlor

Hey man thanks. That answers some of my questions, but unfortunately not all of them. For example: what does rename not preferred installer mean? What does put-away do? And after I click on an installer Icon,it prompts me to install with "Install...". What do I have to type in after install (my WHDLoad install script is in programs\WHDLoad\install).

Thanks again!

PS: What is AIAB?

Zontrox 
Posted on 18-Feb-2007 20:40:20
#7 ]
Cult Member

@papado

AIAB - Amiga In A Box
Amiga Technologies V43.3 Installer dev. package
WHDLoad - Homepage Website ( Latest Version Here )
WHDLoad - Weekly Updated Archives of all Installs
WHDLoad - Games Installers ( Aminet )

"Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?!?" William Wallace (Mel Gibson in Braveheart

papado 
Posted on 19-Feb-2007 0:12:02
#8 ]

@Zontrox

Hey thanks a lot; really! But unfortunately, I still have some questions and dealing with this thing is so ####ing frustrating! I downloaded Installer433 and copied "Installer" (from the package) to C:, and still when I try to run the WHDLoad install it say "cannot load your tool installer". Could it be a problem with my OS? And if so, how do I now? Could it be a problem with WinUAE's configuration? My Hard Drive is type OFS/FFS/RDB (have no idea what this means)? CPU 6820+FPU; Chipset AGA; RAM 2, 8, RTG 32; Kickstart 3.1, etc.... Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks very much again!

bigdan 
Posted on 19-Feb-2007 1:56:24
#9 ]

@papado

1. Check Installer is really in your C: drawer on main amiga bootable partition (alias sys:c/)

2. If needed, correct the tool path in the icon information of Wdhload "Install" script with something like sys:c/installer or c:installer

Last edited by bigdan on 19-Feb-2007 at 01:56 AM.

Zontrox 
Posted on 19-Feb-2007 2:10:22
#10 ]
Cult Member

@papado

Try to copy the Installer to your "Sys:Utilities" drawer too. You may end up with two copies of it in your system ( one in C: the other in Sys:Utilities ). Don't worry about that. It only takes a few kilobytes of space.

Once that is done, try to run the WHDLoad installer to see it it's ok now. That's how i did it and it worked. Some install scripts might still complain. If so, click once on the icon of the installer script to select it, then right click on the workbench title bar to bring up the menu and go to Icons -> Information and edit the 'Default Tool' of the icon and point it to where the 'Installer' is. Sometimes this can be "Sys:C/Installer", "C:Installer" or "Sys:Utilities/Installer".

It might seem a bit 'hard' for a novice like you seem to be, but relax, you'll get the hang of it in no time. The first time i had to do this i found out about it by myself and with FAQs from the packages i was trying to install on my A1200, a looong time ago (i'm talking about 7 to 10 years ago, when i got my A1200).

If the problem you're having with WHDLoad and Installer is what i think it is, then it's very easy to resolve. If it's something a bit different, then the install scripts might be corrupt, lines missing, or something might not be properly installed in your Workbench (WinUAE, right?).

Anyway, try to do that. It might help. Hope you understand.

"Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?!?" William Wallace (Mel Gibson in Braveheart

papado 
Posted on 19-Feb-2007 2:33:20
#11 ]

@Zontrox

Well... Amiga novice at least... It's very difficult to learn a new Os when you've grown accustomed to another one your whole life, you know (Well ok, I dabbled in Linux a bit too, but that's neither here now there)?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle