Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  31 mins ago
 A1200:  50 mins ago
 Marcian:  53 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Frank:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs ago
 Vidar:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 41 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  What Classic Amiga 68k software do you run on OS4.x, or MorphOS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Poll : Which of the following Amiga 68k programs do you run on your OS4.x, or MorphOS system?
LightWave3D
Aladdin4D
Vista Pro
Ad Pro v2.5
ImageFX4, or 4.5 (or IFX Studio4.5)
PageStream4
Final Writer

PosterThread
amigadave 
What Classic Amiga 68k software do you run on OS4.x, or MorphOS?
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 2:38:56
#1 ]

I am still working slowly and with some difficulty on getting several Amiga 68k software programs to run on both my OS4.x and MorphOS computers, WITHOUT running UAE.

I hope to find more people who have been successful in getting some of these programs to run on their OS4.x, and/or MorphOS2.7 computers, so if you are one of those users who have had complete, or partial success in getting any of the programs listed in the poll to run on your PPC Next Gen Amiga system, vote in the poll choices and then also give a short description about how successful you have been with each program and what you did to enjoy that success.

That way I can contact you for additional tips to help me succeed like you have and I will document all the steps needed for others to use to get these programs to run on their OS4.x or MorphOS2.7 systems.

Add any other programs that I have not listed, but you have successfully gotten to run properly on your PPC Next Gen system without using UAE (using utilities that help in other ways, like ModePro to set the screen resolution and color depth properly are acceptable, but not a full emulation program like UAE, or AmigaForever.

So please add some comments that show which of these listed programs you have been successful, or even just partially successful in getting to run on your PPC Next Gen system.

Thanks for participating in this poll and leaving your comments.

(Edit: I am trying to get all of these listed programs running smoothly on both my X1000 running OS4.1u5 and all of my MorphOS2.7 desktop computers and both my 15" and 17" G4 PowerBook's running MorphOS3.0 beta)

Last edited by amigadave on 03-Jun-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
samo79 
Re: What Classic Amiga 68k software do you run on OS4.x, or MorphOS?
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 2:51:26
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

There is an old 68k application compatibility list on IntitionBase portal

http://www.intuitionbase.com/ossoftware.php?category=3&letter=ALL

I don't know how is the accuracy lavel because at the end it is an old list written at the time of the first AmigaOS 4.0 versions, so perhaps today it's a bit outdated

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

mbrantley 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 3:07:35
#3 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

I voted in the affirmative to all but Aladdin and PageStream. If I definitively knew that a specific version of PageStream would work well with the latest OS4 I'd buy it, but so far I haven't gotten that answer. I've never dabbled with Aladdin at all, but I'd like to. I am using the last version of Imagine successfully, however.

As to the rest, I'll revisit this thread in coming days and fill in some details. But I am able to use all of these on my two Sam440s -- some perfectly, some with a slight compromise due to a nonworking feature.

Hope to be testing these on an X1000 in a few weeks.

amigadave 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 7:09:44
#4 ]

@mbrantley

Thanks Samo & Mike for your responses.

I should have asked in my initial message for each person to indicate which OS they are running these programs on, or if they have them running on both OS4.x and MorphOS2.7, so let me clarify what will help me with my documentation and will also help other users trying to install and run this software on their own computers.

Please list the hardware specs of your PPC system and which version of the OS you are running, for each of the programs you are able to run. Also list any problems with running the software that you have, or if it runs just like it would on your original Amiga computers. If you needed to do something special to install the program (other than not using floppy disks) then list those installation tips or tricks with the program that needed them to be installed.

This will help because I suspect that some software will run on the original AmigaOne computers, SAM440's, or 460's, but might not run on the X1000. Some will run on MorphOS2.7, but not on an Efika running MorphOS2.7, or maybe not on a Classic Amiga w/Phase5 accelerator running MorphOS1.4.5. Some software may run on certain video cards and not on others, though I doubt that will be true.

It is just easier to track down problems if all the variables are known, or at least most of the variables.

I think any old lists are out of date, so it is time to make a new one with fresh information by current users. Plus I want this list to include MorphOS users as well as OS4.x users. If AROS could run Amiga 68k software on ARM, PPC, or x86 hardware without using UAE, I would include them in the poll and documentation that I want to prepare for everyone to use.

I will upload the documentation to Aminet, OS4 Depot and MorphZone.org Library once I have a few programs documented. Then I will update it regularly with new programs that I am able to install and run from one or both of my different PPC platforms.

itix 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 7:20:43
#5 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Some will run on MorphOS2.7, but not on an Efika running MorphOS2.7

If there is any 68k software running on other MorphOS hardware but not on Efika I am also interested to know.

I ran FW97 on my Amiga 1200 in MorphOS 0.x something like 10 years ago but the software didnt get any better. Anyway, I didnt have to do any tricks to get it running but that was centures ago.

Last edited by itix on 03-Jun-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Trixie 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 8:14:00
#6 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigadave

I run PageStream 4 all right but I think JIT needs to be disabled for it in the Emulation prefs (away from home just now so cannot check).

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

jPV 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 9:17:45
#7 ]
Cult Member

I've used at least these programs successfully on MorphOS 2.x (on Peg1 and Macs):

fxPaint 2
PPaint 7
ArtEffect 4
ImageFX 4
Photogenics 5
Elastic and Fantastic Dreams
TVPaint
PageStream 4
AmigaWriter 2
FinalWriter 97
TurboCalc 5
MakeCD
Real3D 3
And lots of smaller apps for internet, audio, etc.

I haven't tried to install them on MorphOS, but just copied them all over from my old A1200. Some programs needed that I deleted their config file, which might have some incompatible screenmodes etc saved, but none of those needs any mode promoters or similar. FinalWriter is bit picky about screenmode to get correct colors, but there will be good mode for it and I've been happy to print few pages with it.

Anyway, 68k programs are VERY snappy on MorphOS and they're fun to use when you get them running. Gives a whole new experience in speed wise compared to real 68k hw :)

Last edited by jPV on 03-Jun-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Templario 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 9:21:19
#8 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

You had't forgot the big question, Do you pay 200-300 euros for it? because withour money support is impossible these companies porting their programs to our systems, and we'll pay high prices.

gerograph 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 10:25:56
#9 ]
Cult Member

I run PGS and FW97:

PGS: Only a few versions seem to work on OS4.1upd5 X1000, the version I use has a bug in pdf export (doesn't work at all) and a problem in the program fonts which triggers an orange guru like alert. I reported to Daron K. about it, but we couldn't find a solution. Also some GUI is coverd by window borders (so only half of the GUI is visible...)

FW97: At least on X1000 it has problems opening screens.... a bug report has been filled (see Hyperion forum).

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

samo79 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 13:00:06
#10 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
This will help because I suspect that some software will run on the original AmigaOne computers, SAM440's, or 460's, but might not run on the X1000. Some will run on MorphOS2.7, but not on an Efika running MorphOS2.7, or maybe not on a Classic Amiga w/Phase5 accelerator running MorphOS1.4.5. Some software may run on certain video cards and not on others, though I doubt that will be true.

Mmm i doubt it, the only difference you might see will be:

"classic VS NG"

not

"NG system VS NG system"

Because classic system have the old classic chipset onboard, so as many old 68k software use them you will have also a proper compatibility, this even using an NG operative system like OS4

recedent 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 13:25:46
#11 ]

And where is Personal Paint? I guess it's the last 68k program I use.

Last edited by recedent on 03-Jun-2012 at 01:26 PM.

sicky 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 13:42:05
#12 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I am currently running:

Final Writer
Ignition
Pagestream4
AmigaWriter
MicroGoldEd
AmiPhoto
ArtEffect4
Cybershow
DrawStudio
ImageFX
PhotoAlbum
Photogenics5
TurboPrint
MakeCD

Probably some more that I can't think of right now too

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 13:42:26
#13 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

TurboCalc
TVPaint
PPaint
GoldED (have it don't use it, it works)
CED (have it don't use it, it works)
MakeCD
IBrowse 2.4 (used it until OWB MUI was released)

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jun-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jun-2012 at 01:42 PM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 13:58:33
#14 ]

@samo79
Quote:
classic VS NG

Where's "classic vs. classic"? I have tons of software that will work with one 68k system but won't with another one. Heck, even with more or less "identical" A2000 I have stuff that work out of the box with my 040 but won't with my 060 (and vice versa). In the past 15 or so years I must have sorted out thousands of tools, utilities, games and applications that didn't worked at all with my setups. Usual Amiga stuff...

samo79 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 14:08:26
#15 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Yes you are right aswell altrough we more or less talked about "legacy" software that in general runs under the OS

Aniway just for a litte off topic i can say that there are even some difference between the WOS games, some PPC-WOS games for example work fine under AmigaOne+OS4 but don't work on Sam440

For example i never able to run WipeOut 2097 on my Sam Flex (it freeze) but the same installed game runs fine under AmigaOne XE + the same version of AmigaOS4

Last edited by samo79 on 03-Jun-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Karlos 
Posted on 4-Jun-2012 16:11:26
#16 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

OctaMED SoundStudio, MIDIIn, MusicLine Editor, DeluxePaint 4.5, PersonalPaint, TVPaint to name a few. None of which are listed as options...

eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 18:17:06
#17 ]

@amigadave

the following are currently installed (and working) on my SAM440ep-flex system running OS4.1u4. a few of them requiring a bit of effort to get installed, though.

aladdin 4D v5.0
amigawriter v2.2
amtelnet II v2.4
arteffect v4.0.7
drawstudio v2
finalcalc v1.04
finalwriter 97
imageFX v4.5
lightwave 3D v5.20a
perfectpaint v2.93
photogenics v5.0
personal paint v7.1
soundFX v4.3
staram plan v2.31
term v4.8
turbocalc v5.0
TVpaint v3.59
wordworth 7

there's plenty of others that work brilliantly, but these were the ones i kept installed. i have others purchased that didn't have the features i expected, or i didn't like using them, etc.

do let us know from time to time how you're getting on using your X1000 and amigaOS. maybe even bring it to amiwest this year?

-- eliyahu

amigadave 
Posted on 7-Jun-2012 23:35:03
#18 ]

@thread,

Is there anyone who has replied in this thread so far that has an X1000 besides geograph?

@geograph, are there any other programs besides Final Writer that you have tried to install, that are listed in this thread by other SAM440, or SAM460ex, or AmigaOneXE, or MorphOS computer owners as working? I have tried LightWave3D and Aladdin4D without success so far. LightWave3D runs but I have not been able to render to any screens so far. Aladdin4D has a few problems that I will document in another post soon.

I would like to know because as I try to install these programs on my own X1000, if I encounter any problems, it would make more sense for me to contact someone with an X1000 who has successfully installed and run the program I am having problems with, than to contact someone who is running that program on a SAM, or AmigaOneXE, or MorphOS computer of any flavor.

So, if any of you who have replied so far, but have not indicated which computer you are using to run these programs on OS4.x, but you have an X1000, please let me know and if you have not listed which programs you have successfully installed and run on your X1000, please let us know that as well.

To everyone else, thanks for all of your replies.

Last edited by amigadave on 07-Jun-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Last edited by amigadave on 07-Jun-2012 at 11:38 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 0:01:50
#19 ]

@eliyahu

That is an impressive list. All of those programs are running and working as they should on your SAM system?

If you had to do anything different than a standard installation to get them installed and working on your SAM system, I would appreciate knowing, so I can document it for others to use.

My hopes are that I will be able to come up with documentation that works on all systems with exceptions noted for any systems that won't work with the standard installation notes for everyone else.

Edit: If I can make it to AmiWest this year, I will definitely bring my X1000 with me.

Last edited by amigadave on 08-Jun-2012 at 12:03 AM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 15:03:38
#20 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
That is an impressive list. All of those programs are running and working as they should on your SAM system?

If you had to do anything different than a standard installation to get them installed and working on your SAM system, I would appreciate knowing, so I can document it for others to use.

in truth most installed and worked without effort, but there are a few exceptions. for example arteffect has redraw issues if compositing is enabled, so you have to create a custom screen where it isn't. finalwriter had to be fiddled around with to get it to recognize my fonts; wordworth required a custom screen as well; soundFX installation was a nightmare, etc. the problem is that for all of these things, i searched on the forums to find solutions, and can't remember some of them.

it would be nice if all of this were documented, and other things a new user might want, such as how to use lpr.device in conjunction with the 'photosmart' driver to use modern wireless HP printers, or how to find a wireless PCI card and set it up, or ....

the lack of documentation is a serious fault for new users. it sometimes seems that amiga NG platforms just assume familiarity with OS3.x, and so therefore, it's not needed. but the occasional new user does appear -- such as myself -- and MOS is different enough from AOS that anyone wanting to try modern versions of amigaOS could use some tips as well. there's already a start on the amigaOS wiki; perhaps i should apply to be an editor and start writing some of these items up....

Quote:
Edit: If I can make it to AmiWest this year, I will definitely bring my X1000 with me.

outstanding! i'll try to bring my SAM, or failing that, at least a USB stick with plenty of software for you to try out.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 08-Jun-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle