Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  16 mins ago
 BigD:  40 mins ago
 pixie:  44 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 walkero:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Templario:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Yssing:  2 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re:Gameplay vs. Graphics
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 16:52:50
#621 ]
Elite Member

GTA IV up close (400% zoom):

On a big screen HDTV you should notice the difference. I agree with the bulk of current reviews, the PS3 version looks cleaner.

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 18:26:03
#622 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I agree with the bulk of current reviews, the PS3 version looks cleaner.
Being the game isn't released until tomorrow, 4/29, how much time have you, yourself, spent on either PS3 or 360? Were you one of the people who have pirated the game? Also,were they displayed in the same manner on the same equipiment?

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 18:37:18
#623 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

The game was only pirated for the 360 so far. GTA IV is already released in Australia and people have posted comparison screenshots.

wegster 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 22:37:07
#624 ]
Elite Member

So, it would seem several are claiming the PS3 version is running at 630p vs 720p on the 360...

Not that I care overly much, still unsure if buying for PS3 or not, but.. ?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46242&page=23

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 23:04:03
#625 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
GTA IV is already released in Australia and people have posted comparison screenshots.
All interesting. And a might bit telling you've selected the PS3 for the victor yet haven't actually played the game on either console or against comparable TV sets yourself. Personally having both consoles I think I'll get the 360 for the online content and users of Xbox Live. Certainly the PSN Online will get there, perhaps this is the game which pushes more of the PS3 users online.

Also you had worries about GTA having 360 only content but perhaps having most of their sales on the PS3. Not to worry, rumors are Microsoft bellied up $50M for that exclusive content. So if no one ever downloads it GTA makers still get a nice kick back.

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Apr-2008 23:14:05
#626 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
So, it would seem several are claiming the PS3 version is running at 630p vs 720p on the 360...
Subsequent NEOGAF members head explode as they try to argue 1080p would have been possible using some SPEs to help.

Samwel 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 4:59:45
#627 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Not that I care either way.. Probably won't buy it anyway. But I read 3 separate
reviews and prelooks of GTAIV and all said PS3 had smoother or the same frame
rate as the 360.
The IGN reviewer said the 360 "seemed" to have smoother frame rate under
special circumstances as you said. But on the whole the PS3 version looked
and felt better.. So I don't know why you try to put it down???

@Lou

What's wrong with giving users the option of using sixaxis motion control if they
like??? It's not like they have to if they don't want to.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

MikeB 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 8:03:23
#628 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
All interesting. And a might bit telling you've selected the PS3 for the victor yet haven't actually played the game on either console or against comparable TV sets yourself.

I was judging the screenshots, I won't play the game on the 360 myself. But the sources are credible and to my eyes the PS3 renders the game better. I agree with the Rockstar representative and various reviewers.

IMO a good result for a game which was lead on the 360. Rockstar's comments hinted that technically they will be able to push future PS3 games much further.

With regard to the 360/PC to PS3 game ports situation I missed these comments from HouseMarque from last year:

"Speaking at the Assembly ArTech Seminar today, Lead Programmer Jere "XMunkki" Sanisalo said that all you need is a little planning and understanding of the PS3 hardware: "You can't just pick the Unreal engine and hope it works". Housemarque, Sanisalo says, has extensive experience in developing for the PS2, and PS3 is by far the better platform to develop for."

"Developing for the PS3 architecture's specific requirements gave a huge speed boost on a PC as well, as the small data packets Housemarque used achieved coherent cache hits on a PC processor. Sanisalo's comments harken back to the good old days of Commodore and getting the most out of the hardware with smart coding.

Super Stardust HD was developed on the PC in the first place because Sony apparently forgot to send out Development Kits to Housemarque. In fact, the game was 4 months into the 10-month development cycle before it graced the target platform. "

http://www.yougamers.com/news/8488_housemarque_working_with_the_ps3_is_fun_helps_pcs_too/

MikeB 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 11:10:24
#629 ]
Elite Member

Have been playing GTA IV on the PS3 just a little. So many people buying this game, just wow!

Initial impression: Realistic alive city, lots of swearing and rudeness. Small imperfections here and there but nothing seriously flawed, in short best in the series, must own title for people who like an open world mature orientated game!

Have to wonder though what they would be able to achieve making future GTA games PS3 exclusive fine tuning for and tapping into the full strenght of the Cell (Rockstar feels they still haven't 'cracked it' with the current game engine on the PS3), Blu-Ray disc (Rockstar hinted more storage space will be crucial for their future games) and default harddrive (also very important to them).

Some comments on a game with development being lead on the PS3 (Ghostbusters):

"We’re running the same game for both platforms but if we made a PS3-only game, for example, you could double the amount of objects on screen that you’re seeing."

"For example, we’ve reserved one whole processor on the PS3 for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound whereas on the 360 you have part of one processor to do that. So we can have a lot better sound mixing and a lot more effects going on at the same time. That kinds of makes us do a little bit less in the game [360] but makes for better audio. If we’re doing a PS3 only game however, we could be doing a lot more. We could be pushing a lot more on the screen."

link

Lou 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 11:51:09
#630 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:

@Lou

What's wrong with giving users the option of using sixaxis motion control if they
like??? It's not like they have to if they don't want to.

That's just it, I don't believe the motion controls for the helicopter and such are an option...I could be wrong...the review didn't mention being able to switch to analog...
This is a mistake alot of early Wii games made as well...

Lou 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 11:53:38
#631 ]
Elite Member

US Amazon.com top 10

01. Wii Fit*—Nintendo (Wii)
02. Mario Kart w/ Wii Wheel—Nintendo (Wii)
03. Grand Theft Auto IV—Rockstar (Xbox 360)
04. Grand Theft Auto IV—Rockstar (PS3)
05. Grand Theft Auto IV Special Edition—Rockstar (Xbox 360)
06. Grand Theft Auto IV Special Edition—Rockstar (PS3)
07. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin—Nintendo (DS)
08. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures Collector’s Edition*—Eidos (PC)
09. Wii Play w/ Remote—Nintendo (Wii)
10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl—Nintendo (Wii)

* pre-order

UK: Nintendo’s Wii Fit becomes the sixth fasting selling UK debut title of all time to knock Mario Kart Wii off the top spot.
01. Wii Fit
02. Mario Kart Wii
03. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
04. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
05. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
06. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
07. Sega Superstars Tennis
08. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training
09. UEFA Euro 2008 Austria-Switzerland
10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

Spain

01. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
02. Wii Play (Wii)
03. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)
04. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PSP)
05. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Wii)
06. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
07. More Brain Training (DS)
08. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
09. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS)
10. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)

Germany

01. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
02. Assassin's Creed (PC)
03. The Sims 2 Kitchen and Bathroom Interior Design Stuff (PC)
04. Brain Training (DS)
05. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS)
06. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)
07. More Brain Training (DS)
08. Wii Play (Wii)
09. UEFA Euro 2008 (PS3)
10. Mario Party DS (DS)

Sweden

01. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
02. The Sims 2 Kitchen and Bathroom Interior Design Stuff (PC)
03. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS2)
04. World of Warcraft (PC)
05. Assassin’s Creed (PC)
06. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (PC)
07. SingStar Sweden Hits Schlager (PS2)
08. The Sims 2 FreeTime (PC)
09. Lego Star Wars: The Video Game (PS2)
10. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC)

Last edited by Lou on 29-Apr-2008 at 12:05 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 12:27:16
#632 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
That's just it, I don't believe the motion controls for the helicopter and such are an option...I could be wrong...the review didn't mention being able to switch to analog...
This is a mistake alot of early Wii games made as well...

It's optional in GTA IV and off by default. Reloading weapons using Sixaxis motion control is very cool.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 12:36:19
#633 ]
Elite Member

@ Lou

You can even customize exactly for what vehicles and uses you want to use Sixaxis motion controls or not.

I wish rumlbe vibration in games would be customizeable like that. IMO it's usually overdone, used for things which distract from the experience. For expample I like rumble for firing weapons vibrating to the beat of a gun, I dislike vibration for dying.

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 12:49:50
#634 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I dislike vibration for dying.

Your character is going into spasms.

Hammer 
Re: MSG4
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 13:46:35
#635 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
...where as Doom 3, where is the player's gun/HUD in those shots? They all look like target renders and cutscenes... Infact reviews of the Xbox version critsized it for looking worse than the published screenshots...

With game HUD refer to
http://au.gamespot.com/xbox/action/doom3/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;all

Project Gotham Racing 2 XBOX
http://au.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/projectgothamracing2/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images%3Bimg%3B3&page=3

Last edited by Hammer on 29-Apr-2008 at 01:58 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 14:23:02
#636 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
So I don't know why you try to put it down???
I don't believe I put down the PS3 version of the game. I do raise my eyebrowns to users who read endless reviews and declare a winner yet haven't bothered to test themselves. Are they really adding value? IMO not really. They can hold whatever they want but we should realize their opinion stems from reading other opinions NOT from actually testing the game themselves.

@MikeB
Quote:
Blu-Ray disc (Rockstar hinted more storage space will be crucial for their future games) and default harddrive (also very important to them).
Definitely will and show be important items for their next game. I'd bet that 2008-2009 will be downloadable content for GTA IV. 2010 would likely be the next game. Just in time for the Xbox #3. But, we'll see.

Quote:
I dislike vibration for dying.
Ever see someone die while being shot? It's not pretty. They shake around.

Hammer 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 14:38:21
#637 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Have been playing GTA IV on the PS3 just a little. So many people buying this game, just wow!

Initial impression: Realistic alive city, lots of swearing and rudeness. Small imperfections here and there but nothing seriously flawed, in short best in the series, must own title for people who like an open world mature orientated game!

Have to wonder though what they would be able to achieve making future GTA games PS3 exclusive fine tuning for and tapping into the full strenght of the Cell (Rockstar feels they still haven't 'cracked it' with the current game engine on the PS3), Blu-Ray disc (Rockstar hinted more storage space will be crucial for their future games) and default harddrive (also very important to them).

Some comments on a game with development being lead on the PS3 (Ghostbusters):

"We’re running the same game for both platforms but if we made a PS3-only game, for example, you could double the amount of objects on screen that you’re seeing."

"For example, we’ve reserved one whole processor on the PS3 for Dolby Digital 5.1 sound whereas on the 360 you have part of one processor to do that. So we can have a lot better sound mixing and a lot more effects going on at the same time. That kinds of makes us do a little bit less in the game [360] but makes for better audio. If we’re doing a PS3 only game however, we could be doing a lot more. We could be pushing a lot more on the screen."

link

The Xenos GPU has Tessellation unit.

Lou 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 15:31:25
#638 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
...where as Doom 3, where is the player's gun/HUD in those shots? They all look like target renders and cutscenes... Infact reviews of the Xbox version critsized it for looking worse than the published screenshots...

With game HUD refer to
http://au.gamespot.com/xbox/action/doom3/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;all

Project Gotham Racing 2 XBOX
http://au.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/projectgothamracing2/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images%3Bimg%3B3&page=3

Thank you for proving my point. Doom 3 features high texture quality at the expense of polygon count. Look how many creatures are onscreen at once during gameplay...mostly 1. It's that type of narrow hallway, scary dark environment game.
As for PGR, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be impressed about...

If you play SW:RS3, you will realize all the things that game is doing at once what no other game does. You cannot give me an apples to apples comparison.

Regardless, SW:RS3 does what everyone said the Gamecube couldn't do: high polygon count in realtime with bump-mapping and good texture quality, realistic lighting, self-shadowing and reflections with many moving independent objects that require AI.

Last edited by Lou on 29-Apr-2008 at 03:32 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 20:07:56
#639 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

It really doesn't matter how good GTA IV is, I'm not going to buy the SONY PS3 bundle on principle! Again SONY are using this launch as a last attempt to offload the obsolete Sixaxis controller onto Europeans - GET LOST SONY I'M NOT GOING TO HELP YOU SHIFT INFERIOR PRODUCTS & FOR THE RECORD I'D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO BUY A 60GB PS3 WITH BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY ON MY TERMS NOT YOURS!!!!!

My Amiga and PS2 will do for now. Currently playing through Vice City (having completed GTA3 & San Andreas but missing out on this classic). Also just bought Resident Evil 4 for £12.99 and loving it

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-Apr-2008 20:14:31
#640 ]
Team Member

@BigD

Quote:
Also just bought Resident Evil 4 for £12.99 and loving it

Try the GC version if you ever get the chance, it's much superior graphically and the cut-scenes are real time instead of videos.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle