Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 42 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 33 mins ago
 Lou:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 hrs 40 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 8 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 47 mins ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  History rewritten!
Register To Post

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Can you make this out?
Posted on 7-Jul-2003 7:41:31
# ]

Quote:

Pegasos
- has an older Articia chip revision

Yes, but with the April 2 fix, this isn't an issue for G3s. For G4s, there's the Marvell northbridge.
Quote:
- has a firewire port but no apps/drivers/whatever, so useless

Well, useless until there's a driver. In view of the fact that support is planned for it, I'd rather have it than not.
Quote:
- no G4 ATM and a slower G3 available

Is there some doubt that Pegasos II/G4 will be available soon? I think Genesi has a pretty good track record on product delivery. (I'll resist making any direct comparisons.)
Quote:
- no OS4 (which is for _me_ one of the most important points)

When I've seen and compared AOS4 and MorphOS1.4 (or later version, depending on when AOS4 arrives) in real life, feature for feature, then this will be easier to answer.
Quote:
- is not produced anymore

Well, it's natural to discontinue a product when a distinctly improved upgrade is just around the corner. True, more Pegasos I's could have been built and sold, but I think there was some impatience to put the old technology behind us.
Quote:
- only a few hundred units sold

A total of 600 Pegasos boards have been built, and essentially all of them are "out there" now, with even the Betatester boards having been recycled (to users who are aware of their limitations). From what I've read, this is apparently more than the number of AmigaOnes actually in users' hands (for what it's worth, other than bragging rights).
Quote:
AmigaOne
- costs more, no OS4 until fall

Costs significantly more, and I thought one of the factoids coming out of the Road Show was that AOS4 was due "at the end of the year" but I could be wrong.Quote:
+ has a 300pin MegArray CPU slot which is used in latest Macs

I thought I read that there were proprietary electrical details that would prevent Mac upgrade boards from working in AmigaOnes. Do you have more information on this?
Quote:
+ sells better than Pegasos despite of the fact that no OS4 available AND more pricey. At least here in Germany according to KDH and PointDesign.

For both products, I think initial sales are/will be kind of irregular, depending on supply and so on. I think it's hard to generalize, to say one "sells better" rather than "sold better" and citing the circumstances. But actually I'd expect the AmigaOne to have strong sales in the beginning, since it does have the brand name and is what many people (dedicated Amiga users) have been waiting for. On the other hand, the Pegasos has to prove itself as a newcomer (this despite the fact that it is arguably more "Amiga community" in origin than the Teron-based AmigaOne (but that's another discussion). Anyway, the Pegasos I is now virtually sold out, so that's not too bad a sales record.
Quote:
+ OS4 from a team 30+ of top notch software writers for Amiga

There's no doubt that both the "red" and "blue" teams have excellent people, and both OSs will have applications produced by top people (many supporting both). This is a plus for both AOS and MOS.
Quote:
There might be some more points, so what do you guys think?

Since you asked,

Pegasos
+Ports of other OSs actively supported (to broaden userbase and increase sales/exposure)
+Active, funded support for trade shows, usergroup shows, etc.
+Hardware line that includes complementary products to leverage technology (Eclipsis, Psylence, CashBoy, etc.)
+Small form factor of MicroATX board for unique installations
+Being producer of hardware and software gives Genesi more business options
+Cooperative attitude reflected in things like Phoenix Developer Consortium partnership
-Trying to sell to Amiga market without the Amiga brandname
-Trying to sell a PPC computer in a world of much "faster" x86 cpus.
-Personal style of CEO can be off-putting to some.

Amiga
+Has Amiga brand name
+Has loyalty of many users and developers
+Amiga, Inc.'s financial problems won't affect AOS4 development, carried out by Hyperion.
-Hardware development outside of AI's control.
-Trying to sell a PPC computer in a world of much "faster" x86 cpus.
-Management style of Amiga, Inc. considered ineffectual by many.
-Apparently AI has certain legal and financial problems which may inhibit its ability to pursue development properly.

Not a comprehensive list, but just another viewpoint, offered with the goal of friendly discussion.

-- gary_c

Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle